closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 245

Thread: Your favourite holiday watch and why ?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    334

    Your favourite holiday watch and why ?

    So my holiday has arrived and I look at my watch collection to decide which ones go and which ones stay . I always bring two along , one for day trips and activities and one for posing with at the pool and evenings .

    So this time it's my Seiko blumo for trips to the beach and mountains hikes and my Rolex GMT master 2 for flexing around the pool with .

    Which watches do you take and what factors do you consider ? This question really is for people who own more than 2-3 watches I guess





    Seikoboy

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    334

    Your favourite holiday watch and why ?



    And my tried and trusted holiday beater watch on a super jubilee Tungchoy bracelet , never lets me down and love the lume on this SBDC033


    Seikoboy
    Last edited by Seikoboy; 30th May 2017 at 13:14.

  3. #3
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Nottingham UK
    Posts
    321
    I leave my expensive ones at home and take my G-Shock beater. I'd love to take a good one for the evenings but I'd worry about it in the apartment. Also doesn't matter if I get sand or sea water on the G-Shock, just hose it off and it's good as new.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    N Ireland
    Posts
    2,206
    Quote Originally Posted by matt666 View Post
    I leave my expensive ones at home and take my G-Shock beater. I'd love to take a good one for the evenings but I'd worry about it in the apartment. Also doesn't matter if I get sand or sea water on the G-Shock, just hose it off and it's good as new.
    Agree with Matt. Recent thread on similar issue convinced me that g shock is the way to go for holidays and travelling. And 1 watch only. Hotel safes are Andy pandy made.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Robsmck; 30th May 2017 at 09:32. Reason: Typo

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    3,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikoboy View Post
    So my holiday has arrived and I look at my watch collection to decide which ones go and which ones stay . I always bring two along , one for day trips and activities and one for posing with at the pool and evenings .

    So this time it's my Seiko blumo for trips to the beach and mountains hikes and my Rolex GMT master 2 for flexing around the pool with .

    Which watches do you take and what factors do you consider ? This question really is for people who own more than 2-3 watches I guess





    Seikoboy
    Both lovely watches but too similar in function and style for me. I'd be choosing a dress watch to go with either.

  6. #6
    I never take really expensive watches on hols as they can attract too much attention depending on where you are. As we have learned on here recently, hotel safes are hardly secure so for me it's not worth taking anything I wouldn't be prepared to lose or is easily replaced.

    Holiday watches are almost always divers, or are at least substantially waterproof. Choice is usually a Seiko diver (SKX, Turtle, Sumo or MM300), a Sinn U1T or a Black Bay (if staying somewhere posh).

    All time fave holiday watch is my MM300 though.

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Greater London
    Posts
    3,710
    PAM 024 for me and the wife takes my GMTc - figure watches are safer with me that in an empty house for a fortnight

  8. #8
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    16,339
    Is it that time of the year already?


    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...tch-doing-well
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...y-watch-thread!!!
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-Watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...atch-590-or-SD
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...Speedtona-quot
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...rubber-or-NATO
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-or-Mechanical
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-Watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...for-UK-holiday
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...neral-rambling
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ay-watch-ideas
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-watch-arrived
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...iday-watch-SMP
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...y-Watch-Thread
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-Watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...day-watch-pair
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...at-shoud-I-get
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ed-yesterday-)
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...iday-watch-set
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...atch-potential
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ay-Which-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...recommendation
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...watch-spotting
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-Watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...h-Amazon-%A317
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-me-some-ideas
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ed-suggestions
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ch-quot-thread
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ferent-meaning
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...skiing-holiday

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Is it that time of the year already?


    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...tch-doing-well
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...y-watch-thread!!!
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-Watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...atch-590-or-SD
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...Speedtona-quot
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...rubber-or-NATO
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-or-Mechanical
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-Watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...for-UK-holiday
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...neral-rambling
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ay-watch-ideas
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-watch-arrived
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...iday-watch-SMP
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...y-Watch-Thread
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-Watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...day-watch-pair
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...at-shoud-I-get
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ed-yesterday-)
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...iday-watch-set
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...atch-potential
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ay-Which-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...recommendation
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...watch-spotting
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-Watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...h-Amazon-%A317
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-me-some-ideas
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ed-suggestions
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ch-quot-thread
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ferent-meaning
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Holiday-watch
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...skiing-holiday
    My goodness , need an hour just to scroll through those links !




    Seikoboy

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Agree with Matt. Recent thread on similar issue convinced me that g shock is the way to go for holidays and travelling. And 1 watch only. Hotel safes are Andy pandy made.

    Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I used to take an old beater watch on holiday but one day saw a guy at the pool sporting a steel Daytona , he looked the business strutting he's stuff around the pool , then it suddenly dawned on me . I had a steel GMT locked away in my safe in london whilst I was wearing a Seiko 5 at the pool on holiday ! Why on earth own a great watch and not wear it on occasions where you really get to enjoy it , whilst on holiday at the pool with no sleeves to cover that beauty .




    Seikoboy

  11. #11
    Craftsman Ribena36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    377

    Your favourite holiday watch and why ?

    Depends where I go but I'm more inclined to take my g-shock as don't need to worry about damage/getting stolen or attracting wrong kind of attention. That said if I'm going to a swankier resort the PAM048 normally works a treat! It has a great wrist presence, has quite a unique look and works particularly well with a casual look.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ribena36; 30th May 2017 at 10:22.

  12. #12
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    16,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikoboy View Post
    My goodness , need an hour just to scroll through those links !




    Seikoboy
    Ahh, I see how this won't work as you need all your time to increase your post count.

    Maybe an idea to jump the queue and start a covert sales post in the Watch Talk forum? That would save us another 100 nonsense posts.

  13. #13
    Yes it's that time of year again...

    I'm heading to Playa Blanca Lanzerote tomorrow. I'll be taking one watch, a Submariner, which is perfect for day and night. I don't have a safe at home so wouldn't ever leave it there for a week while I'm away.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Ahh, I see how this won't work as you need all your time to increase your post count.

    Maybe an idea to jump the queue and start a covert sales post in the Watch Talk forum? That would save us another 100 nonsense posts.
    Have I done something wrong here starting a thread about holiday watches whilst I'm on holiday , and is there anything wrong with accumulating posts if I'm genuinely a watch fan and enjoy discussing watches on a uk forum ? I haven't had my integrity questioned before on here yet but thanks for your thoughts


    Seikoboy

  15. #15
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,304
    Blog Entries
    2
    Panerai 233.
    Gmt, fine to swim in, quick change strap system to switch between colours and materials so I don't miss not being able to change watches. I don't intend to part with it so quite like developing a sentimental value over time and travels.

  16. #16
    Master j111dja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    5,189
    Having seen a Rolex stolen from someone's wrist in Italy, I never take anything too flash or high value on holiday. It also needs to be able to take a knock and be water resistant. My first choice is a Seiko Diver like one of my Turtle's.

    The last watch I'd wear would be a Rolex.
    Last edited by j111dja; 30th May 2017 at 11:07.

  17. #17
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    18,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikoboy View Post
    My goodness , need an hour just to scroll through those links !


    Seikoboy
    And perhaps 5 minutes learning how the search function works.

  18. #18
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    Having seen a Rolex stolen from someone's wrist in Italy
    How did that happen?

  19. #19
    Master j111dja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    5,189
    Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    How did that happen?
    Guy came off a cruise ship in Naples, stopped at the first pedestrian crossing right in front of me. Two guys stopped on a scooter and it was off his wrist in an instant. Someone must have spotted it on his wrist at the port.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

  20. #20
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    16,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikoboy View Post
    Have I done something wrong here starting a thread about holiday watches whilst I'm on holiday , and is there anything wrong with accumulating posts if I'm genuinely a watch fan and enjoy discussing watches on a uk forum ? I haven't had my integrity questioned before on here yet but thanks for your thoughts


    Seikoboy
    Well, it has been discussed about a thousand times and any new thread is bound to be repetetive at best. If you felt the urge to discuss, why not use the search function and see if such a thread already exists?

    Meantime, enjoy your holiday and wearing your GMT around the pool - I just hope it isn't covered by any obstructing sleeves.

  21. #21
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    17,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikoboy View Post
    I haven't had my integrity questioned before on here yet but thanks for your thoughts

    Possibly because in the last 6 months (what a coincidence!) you made 100 posts, and you just raked over 50 in a week. People tend to notice those things and question the motives.
    Don't take my silence for agreement. I've just realised you're too stupid to argue with.

  22. #22
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    2,673
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Yes it's that time of year again...

    I'm heading to Playa Blanca Lanzerote tomorrow. I'll be taking one watch, a Submariner, which is perfect for day and night. I don't have a safe at home so wouldn't ever leave it there for a week while I'm away.
    Seriously? There is no nook or cranny that you could stash a watch in - that a team of burglars would have to spend the entire 2 weeks, to find?

    A

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    334


    It certainly is getting some looks today
    I've put it on a super jubilee bracelet from tungchoy , looks great


    Seikoboy

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,415
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    Guy came off a cruise ship in Naples, stopped at the first pedestrian crossing right in front of me. Two guys stopped on a scooter and it was off his wrist in an instant. Someone must have spotted it on his wrist at the port.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app
    The thing is though, that this kind of thing happens everywhere. It is not relegated to foreign destinations and tourists. Just as likely to happen to you in the centre of London.

  25. #25
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    17,091
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Seriously? There is no nook or cranny that you could stash a watch in - that a team of burglars would have to spend the entire 2 weeks, to find?

    A
    You seriously leave your submariner when going on holiday? It may be because as we spend our holiday as a family we choose destinations that are less adventurous than if I went alone but the only time I took a specific watch (G-Shock) instead of my daily wearer (sub now, Seamaster before) was when we knew we were going to go canyoning.
    Don't take my silence for agreement. I've just realised you're too stupid to argue with.

  26. #26
    Master j111dja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    5,189
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    The thing is though, that this kind of thing happens everywhere. It is not relegated to foreign destinations and tourists. Just as likely to happen to you in the centre of London.
    I never said it couldn't just happen in Naples. It can happen anywhere but Naples is well known for it and it was something I actually experienced.
    Last edited by j111dja; 30th May 2017 at 11:34.

  27. #27
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    18,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikoboy View Post


    Seikoboy
    Are you on holiday then?

  28. #28
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    634
    Rule of 3 gents. Need to cover all angles. Diver for pool side; Speedy for versatility and RM for understated dinner wear.



    Sent from my SM-G925F using TZ-UK mobile app

  29. #29
    Master blackal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    2,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You seriously leave your submariner when going on holiday? It may be because as we spend our holiday as a family we choose destinations that are less adventurous than if I went alone but the only time I took a specific watch (G-Shock) instead of my daily wearer (sub now, Seamaster before) was when we knew we were going to go canyoning.
    sorry - I'm not following? I wouldn't pack my watch(s) up and take them with me, as an alternative to a perceived threat from burglars at home.

    If I did take an expensive watch on holiday or for work (and I've been around a bit) - it would still be just the watch that I was wearing every day anyway.

    Al

  30. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Are you on holiday then?
    Yes , in rhodes , being Greek it's one of my favourite holiday destinations . Quite safe too , not Naples


    Seikoboy

  31. #31
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    2,415
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I never said it didn't. It can happen anywhere but Naples is well known for it.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app
    It was more in response to the statement that having seen one stolen off a wrist you'd never take one on holiday. London is well known for the same kind of moped crime, so would you not wear an expensive watch in London? That was what I was driving at.

  32. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    Rule of 3 gents. Need to cover all angles. Diver for pool side; Speedy for versatility and RM for understated dinner wear.



    Sent from my SM-G925F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Now that's a lovely holiday watch collection . Guess your an omega fan , but love all of these 3


    Seikoboy

  33. #33
    Master j111dja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    5,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikoboy View Post
    Yes , in rhodes , being Greek it's one of my favourite holiday destinations . Quite safe too , not Naples


    Seikoboy
    I got mugged in Rhodes a few years ago. Someone ran off with my big block of Feta.

  34. #34
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikoboy View Post
    Now that's a lovely holiday watch collection . Guess your an omega fan , but love all of these 3


    Seikoboy
    Haha definitely, and thanks very much. My other two decent watches are a Monaco and a BLNR - so I suppose it's seen as a bit strange not taking the GMT but these three just have everything I need for a holiday.

  35. #35
    Master j111dja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    5,189
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    It was more in response to the statement that having seen one stolen off a wrist you'd never take one on holiday. London is well known for the same kind of moped crime, so would you not wear an expensive watch in London? That was what I was driving at.

    I would never take an expensive watch on holiday wherever that may be, so here in the UK or abroad...........including London (not that I have anything against London). It is just personal choice.

  36. #36
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    It was more in response to the statement that having seen one stolen off a wrist you'd never take one on holiday. London is well known for the same kind of moped crime, so would you not wear an expensive watch in London? That was what I was driving at.
    It's just crazy that you can't enjoy your own watch if you step out of your 'safety zone'.

  37. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    334


    Just great ! Weather has decided to take a u turn and it's rain , thunder and lightning today , still I'm at the pool optimistically hoping it clears up , good job I've got Seiko on today


    Seikoboy

  38. #38
    Normally take a decent watch and just wear it. Just like I do at home. What difference does it make if you're abroad, I think some people like to think they'd be singled out and noticed but in reality you're probably just as likely to get run over.

  39. #39
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    18,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikoboy View Post
    Just great ! Weather has decided to take a u turn and it's rain , thunder and lightning today , still I'm at the pool optimistically hoping it clears up , good job I've got Seiko on today
    Seikoboy
    Yes Rolex don't take too kindly to rain.

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Normally take a decent watch and just wear it. Just like I do at home. What difference does it make if you're abroad, I think some people like to think they'd be singled out and noticed but in reality you're probably just as likely to get run over.
    This is correct, with one very important proviso: check that your insurance covers your watch even when you're away from home. Some policies do, some don't. As long as it's insured then you've nothing to worry about.

  41. #41
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    16,339
    I will never understand all this insurance talk. I got no insurance for any of my watches, why would I put insurance on them? They are about the same value as a half decent used car, which I would never insure.

    Insurance is to protect you against catastrophic tail risks, not emotional damage. If you have a car, which you cannot afford to lose (as you have a loan against it), you put insurance on it. If you have a watch which fulfills the same criteria, you shouldn't have bought that watch in the first place.

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I will never understand all this insurance talk. I got no insurance for any of my watches, why would I put insurance on them? They are about the same value as a half decent used car, which I would never insure.

    Insurance is to protect you against catastrophic tail risks, not emotional damage. If you have a car, which you cannot afford to lose (as you have a loan against it), you put insurance on it. If you have a watch which fulfills the same criteria, you shouldn't have bought that watch in the first place.
    Really? No car insurance? Are you sure?

    Personally I don't think it's too much trouble to add watches to the home insurance policy as it makes zero difference to the overall cost. Why wouldn't you? You might change your tune if you got it nicked.

    I don't think I understand your post because reading it as it stands it's probably the most flawed logic I've ever come across on the internet!!

  43. #43
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    16,339
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Really? No car insurance? Are you sure?

    Personally I don't think it's too much trouble to add watches to the home insurance policy as it makes zero difference to the overall cost. Why wouldn't you? You might change your tune if you got it nicked.

    I don't think I understand your post because reading it as it stands it's probably the most flawed logic I've ever come across on the internet!!
    Is it? Lol.

    Go ahead and insure your life. Trouble is, it won't make you live longer, but you will die poorer.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurance#Controversies

  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Is it? Lol.

    Go ahead and insure your life. Trouble is, it won't make you live longer, but you will die poorer.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurance#Controversies
    Good luck driving an uninsured car! Is that allowed in Germany?

  45. #45
    Journeyman TF23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Really? No car insurance? Are you sure?

    Personally I don't think it's too much trouble to add watches to the home insurance policy as it makes zero difference to the overall cost. Why wouldn't you? You might change your tune if you got it nicked.

    I don't think I understand your post because reading it as it stands it's probably the most flawed logic I've ever come across on the internet!!
    If it's an expensive watch it will not be covered under most policies without paying an extra premium.

    If it's not an expensive watch, the issue of insurance isn't important either way.

  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    If it's an expensive watch it will not be covered under most policies without paying an extra premium.

    If it's not an expensive watch, the issue of insurance isn't important either way.
    My most expensive watch is £3500 and my total home contents insurance (including three bass guitars worth £3000 each) with everything covered in and out of the house is £10 a month...

    I don't pretend they'll not squirm out of paying full value etc but for a tenner it's worth it - I spend more than that a month on coolant for my leaky 3 series.
    Last edited by ped; 30th May 2017 at 12:30.

  47. #47
    Journeyman TF23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    164
    I wore my Submariner in London on a daily basis, morning, noon and night for a number of years without a second thought.

    There would be a few particular areas in London where I might consider whether it's a good idea, but I never visit those areas anyway. I can't understand how anyone could compare street crime in London to somewhere like Naples - or of course Barcelona which has been discussed here recently.

  48. #48
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lėtzebuerg
    Posts
    16,339
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Good luck driving an uninsured car! Is that allowed in Germany?
    Third party liability is a legal requirement (basically everywhere) - that is not what I am talking about. I don't insure against fire, theft of damage to my own car.

  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Third party liability is a legal requirement (basically everywhere) - that is not what I am talking about. I don't insure against fire, theft of damage to my own car.
    Ok well if it's worth the gamble, fair play. I've only ever used my car insurance twice, once for a headlight that would have cost me £1300 and once for a dented front wing that would have cost £1200.

    We're probably going off topic now, but I'll wish you many years of fire and theft free motoring :)

  50. #50
    Journeyman TF23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    My most expensive watch is £3500 and my total home contents insurance (including three bass guitars worth £3000 each) with everything covered in and out of the house is £10 a month...

    I don't pretend they'll not squirm out of paying full value etc but for a tenner it's worth it - I spend more than that a month on coolant for my leaky 3 series.
    Ok, that particular policy sounds like it suits you in your circumstances, but I don't really see that it settles the issue one way or another.

    I pay £146 a year, so £12 a month, on my policy which covers both the rebuilding cost of the house (seven figures) as well as the contents and I definitely would have to pay an extra premium to cover an expensive watch (which I choose not to do).

    We should all do what we're comfortable with re wearing watches and whether to insure them, no argument there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •