closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help with my Grandpa's Rolex

Help with my Grandpa's Rolex

Hi All,

I'm after some help identifying the model of watch this is, and if I chose to, approx servicing costs.

I found this while going through a box of my Grandpas things which I have from when he died. I only kept a few sentimental things and found this at the bottom of a box, had no idea it was even there, it's been there over 10 years without me knowing.

I've wound it, but it doesn't run - its way too small for me to wear, however doesn't mean I may not want it in running condition at some point.

So....what can you tell me about it!?!

Blog Entries
    Wow that looks in amazing condition! The paperwork looks mint too, looks like the watch was never worn! Whoever did that engraving should have gone to specsavers!!

Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    Wow that looks in amazing condition! The paperwork looks mint too, looks like the watch was never worn! Whoever did that engraving should have gone to specsavers!!
    No computer engraving in those days, all done freehand.

Stunning watch and full box and papers, superb.

Master
    My word what a lovely looking watch. You should definitely get it running and wear it now and again. Absolute class

Dumb question removed

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Don't think I could ever wear it as it's just too small!

I presume it's a "Rolex Precision"? I really know nothing about Vintage watches

Craftsman
    Amazing condition, its been so well kept. Great discovery and very sentimental im sure.

Grand Master
    Super vintage gold watch, excellent condition, and it's a Rolex too! Get it serviced properly and enjoy it, if it was big enough for your Grandad to wear it's fine for you. You don't kniw how privileged you are to own a watch like this, thete's no substitute for a watch with genuine sentimental value. An item to treasure.

Paul

Wearing a vintage watch such as your grandpa's Rolex is about the history and family bond it has for you, get is serviced and working and wear it with pride, it's a stunner and far more interesting than a new Sub/BLNR etc..

Incidentally Paul (walkerwek1958) is well recommended for servicing/fixing this Rolex so give him a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Wearing a vintage watch such as your grandpa's Rolex is about the history and family bond it has for you, get is serviced and working and wear it with pride, it's a stunner and far more interesting than a new Sub/BLNR etc..

Incidentally Paul (walkerwek1958) is well recommended for servicing/fixing this Rolex so give him a PM.
    Pretty much what he said, only to add there is Webwatchmaker, The Watch Bloke, and Genesis who may also be of use to fix up your watch.

50 years old and it's in pristine condition! What a great find. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I'm no Rolex fanboy - but wow that is a beautiful watch.
    Please get it serviced & then wear & enjoy the legacy of a watch that was once your grandfathers.
    If it really is too small for you - don't sell it..... keep it for another family member to cherish & enjoy!

Master
    That watch is superior to any pure dress watch that Rolex currently makes. I'd happily own if without any family connection.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmul View Post
    I'm after some help identifying the model of watch this is, and if I chose to, approx servicing costs.
    I'm not an expert, but it could be ref. 12868.

http://www.vintagegoldwatches.com/product/rolex-precision-9k-1965/#lightbox[productLightBox]/1/

That in my opinion is absolutely fantastic, grandpa had taste, great condition.

Enjoy it, loverly watch.

Mint.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Thanks, but I don't work on Rolex watches .......with the exception of my own. I'm taking no more jobs on for the next few months.

This watch should be straightforward to service. The likelihood is that it'll only need a new mainspring, stripping the movement, cleaning and carefully rebuilding should get it running well again. There's a chance that something's broken but in most cases watches stop running because the mainspring's broken or the oil's dried up and gone sticky.

Brendan (Webwatcher) is probably the best guy to sort this.

Paul

That's a stunner! I love posts like this about family heirlooms. :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not an expert, but that looks very much like a Dennison case - many Swiss watches in the 50s/60s were imported as movement only to avoid taxes and cased in the UK. Dennison was a major manufacturer. Opening up the back will tell you more, but I'd leave that to someone with the correct tool and some experience!

Get it serviced and keep it. I have my grandfather's Dennison-cased Longines from the same era and no, it doesn't get used often but on special occasions it makes me feel great to wear my grandfather's watch - it's strange how different it makes me feel compared to my other watches.

Oh my, that is a magnificent specimen. Incredible condition and sentimental value to boot. I'd wear such a thing on special family occasions. It might be nice to remember your Grandad on such days :-)

That is an absolute peach of a watch. One to get serviced and to treasure.

Superb. One most definate to service and wear. Wish I had my late father's long service presentation watch, sadly, some scrote stole it! Though i do have his pocket watch, family heirlooms are always special.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Absolutely beautiful.

I love presentation items like that and the watch could not be better.

Lovely heirloom.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    A thing of beauty.

Master
    That's in some impressive condition with the box and all, nice.

Craftsman
    Really lovely watch, great condition. Would be great to get that working and display it somewhere you can see it.

Thanks for all the comments, has certainly helped me think about it differently, might even consider wearing it for formal occasions despite the small size. Still can't believe I didn't know I even had it....!

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Thanks, but I don't work on Rolex watches .......with the exception of my own. I'm taking no more jobs on for the next few months.

This watch should be straightforward to service. The likelihood is that it'll only need a new mainspring, stripping the movement, cleaning and carefully rebuilding should get it running well again. There's a chance that something's broken but in most cases watches stop running because the mainspring's broken or the oil's dried up and gone sticky.

Brendan (Webwatcher) is probably the best guy to sort this.

Paul
    Thank you Paul.
    These beautiful early Rolex are a joy to work on.

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    A beautiful looking watch. What are the dimensions by the way?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Thank you Paul.
    These beautiful early Rolex are a joy to work on.

I don`t touch Rolex myself, apart from my own. With your contacts I`m sure you can 'magic' up any parts it may need

Paul

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I don`t touch Rolex myself, apart from my own. With your contacts I`m sure you can 'magic' up any parts it may need

Paul
    It's nearly 50 years I've been doing this.
    So I suppose I should know one or two helpful watch people.
    A few of my older contacts have sadly passed on but I can usually get most things if I get on my knees !

Great looking watch. Love the small seconds. Great condition too. What's the case size?

I'd need to get it out again, but I think it's a teeny tiny 31mm

Just wear it, it will grow on you. Wish I had a beauty like this. My wrist is 7.5 inches and wears a Milgauss or Sea Dweller. I wear that gleefully and with pride.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Thanks for all the comments, has certainly helped me think about it differently, might even consider wearing it for formal occasions despite the small size. Still can't believe I didn't know I even had it....!
    How small is it exactly?

On edit: I see ~31mm. Small, but not too small depending on your wrist. I'd probably give it to my daughter.

Craftsman
    What a beauty!
    Could maybe wear once in a while with a suit.
    Your grandfather had good taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    i have a gold rolex precision of a simular vintage,too small for my outsize ploughboy wrist so i gave it to my wife and she loves it.i have inherited my irish fathers and my irish grandfathers silver pocket watch,i never met my grandfather, he died before i was born,i wear it for family weddings etc,its my only link to grandad Albert.its the only watch in my collection which is truly priceless.
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 1st June 2017 at 08:01. Reason: sspelin

Craftsman
    This looks amazing! Such a privilege to own a piece of your family history! Wear it with pride.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Great to see a presentation watch from Swan Hunter........in its day one of the finest ship builders in the world!! If it was me I would send it to Rolex for a full service - they should have all the necessary parts etc. Superb watch and nice to see another member from Whitley Bay.

I'd need to get it out again, but I think it's a teeny tiny 31mm
    <chortle>

Joe (nmt)

Master
    Awesome looking watch, and fantastic to see all elements in place. Something to treasure and pass down for sure

All the Best

Andrew

Apprentice
    I have the same model of watch that was presented to my Grandfather in 1964.

He wore his a lot, which is lovely that he cherished it in that way, but sadly, by the time it was passed down to me, long after his death, it didn't have the original box, strap, paperwork, it had been repaired a couple of times with non-rolex parts and wasn't in working order.

My grandmother randomly gave the watch to me one day saying she wanted me to have it. Soon after my parents snuck it away from me and had it repaired / restored at great cost for my 18th birthday (that was some 20 years ago now) and I wear it often. It's a beautiful piece with a lot of meaning attached to it. Sure the face is a lot smaller than what we're used to with modern watches but I love wearing mine.

If you ever got yours serviced etc I'd love to know where you went and if you were happy with the job they did?

Mine needs a new rolex watch crown as the current one is just a plain one, and it was given to me with a generic black leather strap (presumably the original rolex strap had perished and been replaced through wear) so I'd like to have something close to the original strap for it too. Until I saw your post I had no idea what the original strap looked like (as well as box and paperwork etc) so thank you for that.

Deleted - realised this is a zombie thread...