closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: VW Caddy Life

VW Caddy Life

It's the latest 1.4TSI with 7speed DSG.
    In a lot of ways I like it. I've done a few hundred miles in the couple of weeks I've had it.
    But...
    the users' manual is **** useless. It's just a list of danger triangles and don't do this. It doesn't actually help you find out stuff, and as a man I shouldn't need to read it anyway. I am however flummoxed by the fact I can't have on my permanent display the odometer. It appears when I start the engine but then changes to another speedo but in pointless kilometres per hour. I simply can't figure out how to get it.

The brakes snatch furiously at low speeds. Creeping in a traffic queue or parking, the lightest touch brings it jerking to a halt, and it's not a light pressure. Embarrassing. I've noticed people behind me fall back a bit to give me room... I must admit I found that same thing with a 2010 C-Max I had. The Ford dealership for that said nothing was wrong with it. I wanted to hit them. I haven't yet gone back to VW.

Before I do can anyone advise on either of these issues? Google has been of little use.

Master
    From memory doesn't a button on the end of either indicator (or wipers can't remember which) change the display to different things? As for the brakes the transporter I had on test was the same hence I bought a vito

The brakes on the Caddy I tested were fine, but it had rear drums; this has rear discs.
    Yes, the button does change the display, which changes back to whatever it wants (or seems to) when set off and can't then concentrate on it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    The brakes on the Caddy I tested were fine, but it had rear drums; this has rear discs.
    Yes, the button does change the display, which changes back to whatever it wants (or seems to) when set off and can't then concentrate on it.
    That doesn't sound right I'm sure on my old Vw once changed it stayed there experiment with it a bit and then take it in to them sounds like it maybe faulty to me. The transporter I tested was all discs too had me licking the window when I stopped lol

Master
    My Caddy changes to km speed too, when I set off. Dunno if it can be changed as it doesn't bother me, but doesn't sound faulty unless they both are.

Master
    It can be coded to MPH aftermarket.

Digging deeper it seems that because the main speedo is mph only, the EU states the little one has to be kph.
    http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...is-KMH-not-MPH

Master
    Digging deeper it seems that because the main speedo is mph only, the EU states the little one has to be kph.
    http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...is-KMH-not-MPH
    Must be a recent addition on VW my old one would switch and stay

Now, let's deal with this Active Start feature. I had to nip into Sheffield today, busy traffic. I must have stopped and started maybe forty or fifty times in the trip. Does it really save enough fuel to counterbalance the wear in parts? I did watch an Aussie YouTuber ranting against it.
    Opinions please. I can turn it off but for each trip only.

The dash displays can be changed via the Multi Function Display - these can be changed via a garage that has the correct software on a laptop to enable other stuff.

The stop start does save fuel.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Ta. I'll ask when I'm in next.

Okay, next question.
    The manual is the worst I've ever met. It's simply a list of things you're not allowed to do incase the driver fancies suing VW for not telling them to use their toddler as a car jack.

So. As I noted above the mileometer only shows when you turn the engine off, though the trip shows all the time. The garage said that's how they are. It displays a tiny kph number because it's EU law.

I don't do many miles, just local, and a couple of months ago a spanner appeared on the display. Okay, time for a service. Except it's a lease car and it has longlife oil in so doesn't need a service given I've only done 1800 miles in a year. They turned it off. Fine.
    It had to go back into the main dealer garage because I smelled fuel when I shouldn't. They fixed that - something to do with a pipe connection.
    But now the bloody spanner is back on the display and it says 'oil' too.
    What on earth do I do and why is this the first car in over 45 years of driving to give me any trouble? (Nice engine though, the 1.4TSi.)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi

I have a Honda Civic but I always over idea the stop/start function because I think the marginal fuel saving is definitely not worth the extra strain on battery and starter motor (even though they're supposed to be beefed up to cope).

My service light (spanner) came on 3k after its first annual service because they hadn't reset the system at the service. They tested the oil and confirmed all was well and reset it for me - don't know whether your issue is similar or not...

Hope you get things sorted - it sounds a bit of a trial, despite the lovely engine

ATB

Jon

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I have brand new caddy TSI auto.

Make sure you turn off the cruise control completely and the mini Speedo will revert to mileometer. When you turn cruise control on the miles will change to the little Speedo to indicate cruise is on, turn off cruise and you will have mileage back.

With regard to current speed, mine is kph and I can't change mine to mph, not to bothered about that though.

Thanks, I'll look at that.

Master
    The kmh display only happens when cruise control is on, as has been mentioned you can configure it via a software update

I have to say it irritates me and I’m gonna get it done on mine, that aside I’m
    Loving being in it and am getting 43 per gallon which compared to my old rrs is a god send

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    I have brand new caddy TSI auto.

Make sure you turn off the cruise control completely and the mini Speedo will revert to mileometer. When you turn cruise control on the miles will change to the little Speedo to indicate cruise is on, turn off cruise and you will have mileage back.

With regard to current speed, mine is kph and I can't change mine to mph, not to bothered about that though.
    What are you getting to the gallon? I've had a fuel leak, possibly since new. Slow but fixed now if the garage hasn't buggered it up, so I'm not sure what I should be getting.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    What are you getting to the gallon? I've had a fuel leak, possibly since new. Slow but fixed now if the garage hasn't buggered it up, so I'm not sure what I should be getting.
    Oddly enough I have a fuel issue, the guage won't register when I fill up but over a week it will gradually rise to the full level.

Garage are aware of the issue and have been monitoring for a while to see if it rectify itself, it hasn't.

My car was modified for wheelchair access and the fuel tank changed so will be going back to the coach builders.

That said I have my gearbox constantly in sport and get about 43, which is brilliant compared to my old car. A 15 year old Mercedes.

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Oddly enough I have a fuel issue, the guage won't register when I fill up but over a week it will gradually rise to the full level.

Garage are aware of the issue and have been monitoring for a while to see if it rectify itself, it hasn't.

My car was modified for wheelchair access and the fuel tank changed so will be going back to the coach builders.

That said I have my gearbox constantly in sport and get about 43, which is brilliant compared to my old car. A 15 year old Mercedes.
    43 isn't bad. I too have just had a modified tank replaced and the gauge is reading oddly.

It's the latest 1.4TSI with 7speed DSG.
    In a lot of ways I like it. I've done a few hundred miles in the couple of weeks I've had it.
    But...
    the users' manual is **** useless. It's just a list of danger triangles and don't do this. It doesn't actually help you find out stuff, and as a man I shouldn't need to read it anyway. I am however flummoxed by the fact I can't have on my permanent display the odometer. It appears when I start the engine but then changes to another speedo but in pointless kilometres per hour. I simply can't figure out how to get it.

The brakes snatch furiously at low speeds. Creeping in a traffic queue or parking, the lightest touch brings it jerking to a halt, and it's not a light pressure. Embarrassing. I've noticed people behind me fall back a bit to give me room... I must admit I found that same thing with a 2010 C-Max I had. The Ford dealership for that said nothing was wrong with it. I wanted to hit them. I haven't yet gone back to VW.

Before I do can anyone advise on either of these issues? Google has been of little use.
    I found the answer to this by accident the other day, well, on my VW CC anyway but I would imagine its the same on yours, when driving, push the cruise control stalk away from you to its furthest position, the dash display then shows actual milage permanently until you pull if towards you again.

The abrupt braking sounds like it is engaging the auto brake, as in, when you press hard down on the pedal ( supposedly when stationary but Ive had it engage at creeping forward speeds ) it sets the handbrake.
    Last edited by JasonM; 14th August 2018 at 19:00.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I
    ...the users' manual is **** useless.
    You're a man are you not? Men don't do manuals. You should know this.
    I owned a Scirocco for 5 years...was still finding features accidentally the day I sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    You're a man are you not? Men don't do manuals. You should know this.
    I owned a Scirocco for 5 years...was still finding features accidentally the day I sold it.
    True enough, though this is the first car I've had where I needed the manual to find out how many miles I've done. The local dealership improved matters a little but it's still not on display all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I found the answer to this by accident the other day, well, on my VW CC anyway but I would imagine its the same on yours, when driving, push the cruise control stalk away from you to its furthest position, the dash display then shows actual milage permanently until you pull if towards you again.

The abrupt braking sounds like it is engaging the auto brake, as in, when you press hard down on the pedal ( supposedly when stationary but Ive had it engage at creeping forward speeds ) it sets the handbrake.
    True enough, though this is the first car I've had where I needed the manual to find out how many miles I've done. The local dealership improved matters a little but it's still not on display all the time.
    Cheers..
    Jase

When I disengage cruise fully it displays the trip. The only time I can see the milometer is when I turn the engine off.

Have you tried pushing the cruise stack away from you fully, on mine there are 3 positions, middle-cruise off, pull towards you- increase speed when in cruise, push away, twice and you get the odometer display on all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Have you tried pushing the cruise stack away from you fully, on mine there are 3 positions, middle-cruise off, pull towards you- increase speed when in cruise, push away, twice and you get the odometer display on all the time.
    I'll give it another go when I've time. Thanks. :)

I was considering buying a solar charger for my Caddy. Any thoughts? I don't use it much, I admit.

No ideas?