closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: The TZUK Speedmaster Thread

While I wait for the GGB's the Kizzi is getting quite a lot of wear.

I would advise anyone that finds them a bit odd or insubstantial at first to stick with them for a while - once you have acclimatised they really are very comfy and practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Quite a rarity to come across someone with both. Exclusivity and value aside, which do you prefer?
    Hmm, that's a tricky question which is why I suppose I ended up with both. The Gen2 probably edges it, but only just. I like the fact that the Gen1 is the original and prefer the blue backlight of the 1666A module. The brushed bezel and pushers of the Gen2 are more subtle than the earlier polished versions but I prefer the overall bezel design of the Gen1. I love the unusual crown of the Gen2 and it's nice to have the caseback engraving and thermocompensated movement. There are enough differences for me to convince myself that it is okay to have the pair, and I keep the earlier version on Kevlar and the newer one on the bracelet for added variety.

Gone a bit NATO mad! Got dark and brown leather ones in the way 👍
    Last edited by Olic; 6th July 2017 at 07:41.

My Speedie has been a bit neglected lately. I might put that right today.

Sent from my E6853 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by bigvic; 6th July 2017 at 09:07.

Master
    Picked up a bluray copy of Apollo 13 from Tesco and lo and behold within the first minute there's Tom Hanks arriving with his new Speedy, complete with massive box

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I think that its just the manual and supplementary gift pack he's carrying. The actual box is being unloaded from a truck on his driveway using a forklift and three workmen.

Thread has made me pop mine on...

Love it. So effortlessly cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I think that its just the manual and supplementary gift pack he's carrying. The actual box is being unloaded from a truck on his driveway using a forklift and three workmen.
    It's,really not that bad!!

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    OK bit if an exaggeration.

Two workman should be able to manage a Moonwatch box provided they know what they're doing.

I wont go on about it though.

Master

I wont go on about it though.
    Speaking of which, WallaseyRunner hasn't mentioned he's once owned two Snoopy's for at least an hour. Hope he's ok.

Speaking of which, WallaseyRunner hasn't mentioned he's once owned two Snoopy's for at least an hour. Hope he's ok.

Master
    I agree, it is actually about as big as the box Hanks is holding.

If this was going to be an 'only watch' or a special gift I think the packaging is great, I'd imagine a non-WIS would find it quite impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunscrossed View Post
    I agree, it is actually about as big as the box Hanks is holding.

If this was going to be an 'only watch' or a special gift I think the packaging is great, I'd imagine a non-WIS would find it quite impressive.
    OK, the small black suitcase is quite nice - but why the need for the big heavy wooden box it fits inside?

They could have configured the suitcase to hold the books, manual and cards etc so everything was together in one reasonably compact container.

But as Ive said, I won't go on about it.

Master
    Presume no-one's had their GGB yet?

Still waiting!

Master
    OK, the small black suitcase is quite nice - but why the need for the big heavy wooden box it fits inside?

They could have configured the suitcase to hold the books, manual and cards etc so everything was together in one reasonably compact container.

But as Ive said, I won't go on about it.
    No idea, I'm just glad I didn't buy the one I saw at Madrid airport.

Craftsman
    I'd imagine a non-WIS would find it quite impressive.
    Well, who wouldn't be - it is a box you can see from space after all.

Master
    I must say, I was very disappointed with the newer screw link bracelet.

Still waiting!
    Just checked - its only just over 2 weeks since we ordered these, so I would guess another week at the very earliest.

It feels like a long wait!

Ive been swapping between a Hirsch, Eulit, Di Modell and the Kizzi Velcro. It looks best to me on the Di Modell however the Kizzi is streets ahead of all the rest comfort wise and I find myself favouring this. Going by past experience the GGB will be even better.

Ive tried the Omega NATO a few times and it may well grow on me.

Just checked - its only just over 2 weeks since we ordered these, so I would guess another week at the very earliest.

Usually takes at least a couple of extra weeks for any orders to reach me (not just GGB), sometimes months. I've learned to be very patient. Occasionally I've forgotten that I've ordered something and it's a nice surprise when it turns up.

GGB Carl is quite engrossed in final touches to his latest 6B watch and I think he was inundated when he opened briefly a few days back.

Master

Ive been swapping between a Hirsch, Eulit, Di Modell and the Kizzi Velcro. It looks best to me on the Di Modell however the Kizzi is streets ahead of all the rest comfort wise and I find myself favouring this. Going by past experience the GGB will be even better.

Ive tried the Omega NATO a few times and it may well grow on me.
    Yes, mines lived on the kizzi velcro since it arrived.

My distresssed suedy-leather NATO is lovely too but the kizzi gives a certain look to the watch which I love.

Craftsman
    Still waiting here too, but expect it'll be another couple of weeks as Carl seemed to take a lot of orders over that weekend. Am sure it'll be worth the wait though.

Picked up a bluray copy of Apollo 13 from Tesco and lo and behold within the first minute there's Tom Hanks arriving with his new Speedy, complete with massive box

Here he is wearing it in this Documentary clip. Might go buy myself a typewriter now.

https://youtu.be/l53MPBjCDpY

My 105.003-63

These new imgur images are coming out quite large; any tips how to reduce the size (dimensions rather than resolution)?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    My 105.003-63

These new imgur images are coming out quite large; any tips how to reduce the size (dimensions rather than resolution)?
    Choose large thumbnail or one of those options.

What GGB???

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    What GGB???
    GasGasBones Velcro strap- Carl recently opened up for orders... for about 2 days!

2998-61

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    Choose large thumbnail or one of those options.

Ta

My 105.003-63

Very nice watch. Next time it is due for a service would it be worth getting Simon Freese to paint the rehaut black, as it should be. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Very nice watch. Next time it is due for a service would it be worth getting Simon Freese to paint the rehaut black, as it should be. Just a thought.
    Thanks.
    Rehaut was fitted by STS (probably Simon) in accordance with contemporary brochures.

Thanks.
    Rehaut was fitted by STS (probably Simon) in accordance with contemporary brochures.
    Fair enough, my comment was based on this, 4th paragraph down:

http://speedmaster101.com/105-003/

Banned
    Blog Entries
    An honest question. How precisely do you become a pseudo expert on the Speedmaster heritage?😜

Auto (376.0822)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    An honest question. How precisely do you become a pseudo expert on the Speedmaster heritage?
    Not sure about how to become a 'pseudo expert' but otherwise, I guess, by referring as much as possible to contemporary documentation and 'genuine' experts such as the late Chuck Maddox.
    However, as is acknowledged by most collectors, Omega tended to use parts from preceding and superseding models (what was in the parts bin at the time).

Not sure about how to become a 'pseudo expert' but otherwise, I guess, by referring as much as possible to contemporary documentation and 'genuine' experts such as the late Chuck Maddox.
    However, as is acknowledged by most collectors, Omega tended to use parts from preceding and superseding models (what was in the parts bin at the time).
    Agreed, there are no Omega experts here as such, but certainly a few people who are prepared to do as much research as possible, which in the main is put together by enthusiasts sharing collective data over a considerable period of time. I have seen people post before asking who the Omega equivalents of Haywood Milton and Mike Wood are, who would you turn to if you had a serious question. I suppose the simple answer is to join the Omega Forum.

Most people regarded Chuck as a leading authority and reference his work after his passing and the Speedmaster101 website is to vintage Speedmasters what Double Red Seadweller.com is to vintage Rolex.

I would add that I have had a few PM exchanges with some extremely knowledgable guys on here, who are always willing to help when the need arises.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 10th July 2017 at 21:09.

Master
    I treat a lot of what Chuck opined with a big pinch of salt. Firstly his so called grail ain't all that special when viewed objectivley and seems a rather random choice of model to put on a pedestal. Secondly his serial number by year table is often wrong and thirdly he had an irrational hatred of the 3303/3313 movement, and instead championed the utterly utilitarian 5100 as seen in the aforementioned grail. He had first mover advantage which can't be taken away but there are much better and more accurate info sources out there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I treat a lot of what Chuck opined with a big pinch of salt. Firstly his so called grail ain't all that special when viewed objectivley and seems a rather random choice of model to put on a pedestal. Secondly his serial number by year table is often wrong and thirdly he had an irrational hatred of the 3303/3313 movement, and instead championed the utterly utilitarian 5100 as seen in the aforementioned grail. He had first mover advantage which can't be taken away but there are much better and more accurate info sources out there now.
    I think you'll find that the 376.0822 was Chuck's 'grail' and that, because of the popularity of his articles, others were largely responsible for propagating the name - whatever might be your grail (if you have or had one) others may not find very interesting or worthy of the 'title'.
    His serial number tables were, if I remember correctly, often generated by others and not by Chuck himself and, at the time, most people accepted that there was no definitive serial number/date information available because Omega didn't release it, probably because there was this 'use whatever is in the parts bin' approach (at the switch between models) and so rigid serial number/date/model tables would not be possible.
    Last edited by Stanford; 10th July 2017 at 21:26.

Thanks.
    Thought you might like to see this, an original advert from Germany clearly showing a Silver rehaut in a 105.003. So much for Speedmaster101 then.

Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 11th July 2017 at 08:28.

There's no single gospel, and even the most reliable resources are incomplete and sometimes incorrect. It will always be so when it comes to vintage, I find much the same with Smiths. If you can add to the jigsaw of the historical record all the better.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    There's no single gospel, and even the most reliable resources are incomplete and sometimes incorrect. It will always be so when it comes to vintage, I find much the same with Smiths. If you can add to the jigsaw of the historical record all the better.
    Agreed, but sometimes this becomes part of the problem, someone sees something somewhere and believes it to be the truth. Just like with Rolex, no official details have ever been released, just collections of data put together by enthusiasts.

Thought you might like to see this, an original advert from Germany clearly showing a Silver rehaut in a 105.003. So much for Speedmaster101 then.
    Seen that, thanks.

I think the Speedmaster101 reference to black rehauts may not be wrong, but misleading...the 105.003 may well be the only reference the black rehaut was fitted on (I'm making no claim that this is the case), but not to the exclusion of silver ones; after all, the 105.003 was produced for two or three years.

Agreed, but sometimes this becomes part of the problem, someone sees something somewhere and believes it to be the truth. Just like with Rolex, no official details have ever been released, just collections of data put together by enthusiasts.
    Everything with a grain of salt until corroborated by multiple sources! Until fairly recently the watch that David Scott wore on the lunar surface was commonly believed to be a Waltham and that had come from the man himself.

Thus it will always be, and that's part of the interest of vintage; doing your research, weeding the wheat from the chaff and maybe discovering something new along the way.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    See the discussion we had on bracelets earlier in this thread, some people read things in books and take them as absolute fact.

See the discussion we had on bracelets earlier in this thread, some people read things in books and take them as absolute fact.

Bracelets you say, there's a chart for that

Looks like the control readout for the warp core coolant system to me.

Master
    Not sure if you guys are aware of this website for quickly dating your Speedmaster from known databases (not an official Omega thing, clearly);

https://www.ilovemyspeedmaster.com/p...ateprediction/

Not sure if you guys are aware of this website for quickly dating your Speedmaster from known databases (not an official Omega thing, clearly);

https://www.ilovemyspeedmaster.com/p...ateprediction/
    Thanks Adrian, I just put mine in and it is predicting December 1965. I have ordered an Extract from Omega that should be here in a week or two so let's see how accurate.

The 22m serial number ties it to 1965 using most published tables, but this is the first to give me a month.

All good stuff.

Master
    Thanks Adrian, I just put mine in and it is predicting December 1965. I have ordered an Extract from Omega that should be here in a week or two so let's see how accurate.

The 22m serial number ties it to 1965 using most published tables, but this is the first to give me a month.

All good stuff.
    I believe they encourage you to share your extract data with them to further improve their accuracy.

I believe they encourage you to share your extract data with them to further improve their accuracy.
    Righty ho, will bear that in mind when the thing turns up. They weren't specific about the watch, just that it could only one of three Speedmaster models in production at that time, being the 105.012-64 or a 105.003-63 or -64.

I've just ordered a Kizzi for my 1621 NASA prototype.