closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The TZUK Speedmaster Thread

My Speedmaster

Craftsman

The TZUK Speedmaster Thread

Yet another Speedy LE from Omega. Having been perhaps a little under the radar given all the fuss and drama with the Speedy Tuesday, this joins the long list of Marmite LE's people love or hate!

IMHO this one is very well executed and after ordering ages ago I finally got the call......

Had to make a decision, couldn’t very well buy both! Wifey would have had me taken away in a straightjacket. I wanted to fall in love with the gold one and totally expected to, if I am honest. However, the white gold medallion makes it sit much higher than the steel version and it just wasn’t comfortable on my wrist. Obviously the xxx/272 gold piece is a LOT more money but I had made room in my collection and ordered it to buy and was psyched up and ready today. But, I very much preferred the steel version so this was a rare confluence of heart and head being aligned.
    Last edited by tom waring; 23rd November 2017 at 15:52.

Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post
    Yet another Speedy LE from Omega. Having been perhaps a little under the radar given all the fuss and drama with the Speedy Tuesday, this joins the long list of Marmite LE's people love or hate!

IMHO this one is very well executed and after ordering ages ago I finally got the call......

Had to make a decision, couldn’t very well buy both! Wifey would have had me taken away in a straightjacket. I wanted to fall in love with the gold one and totally expected to, if I am honest. However, the white gold medallion makes it sit much higher than the steel version and it just wasn’t comfortable on my wrist. Obviously the xxx/272 gold piece is a LOT more money but I had made room in my collection and ordered it to buy and was psyched up and ready today. But, I very much preferred the steel version so this was a rare confluence of heart and head being aligned.
    Well those are really nice and of the two I prefer (which surprises myself) the yellow gold. The LE editions come in for a lot of stick, sometimes justifiably but the 45th Apollo XVII anniversary models are special. I'm looking forward to seeing what Omega will release for the 50th anniversary of the Apollo XI landing.
    Last edited by dkpw; 23rd November 2017 at 17:20. Reason: typo

Craftsman

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Picked up this Nato on SC for my Speedy Pro. Looks well I think.

Master
    You go and walk the Dogs in the rain love, and I will wait in the Car and take some Wrist shots!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My two Speedmaster a grand old 4.5 and a stepped dial -71
    Wondering about whether to save and save and get one of the Apollo’s but then I still miss my Tin Tin

Blog Entries
    Which Hirsh is that Tony? Brown or Gold?? Thanks! M

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I still maintain that the Hirsch terra is pretty much unbeatable.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Which Hirsh is that Tony? Brown or Gold?? Thanks! M
    It's actually the brown, but shot in the first photo in a very soft light at the end of a summer day. It looks like the honey shade, but isn't.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    Picked up this Nato on SC for my Speedy Pro. Looks well I think.

That’s a good combination . Works well

My first Speedie

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    My first Speedie
    And a most excellent choice it is too.

My FOIS:

Apprentice
    Just joined the forum after snooping around for a bit. This was an auction purchase seven years ago that kicked off the watch addiction..a 1986 (I think!) Speedmaster.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stubo View Post
    Just joined the forum after snooping around for a bit. This was an auction purchase seven years ago that kicked off the watch addiction..a 1986 (I think!) Speedmaster.
    Wow. That's nice. Don't think I've ever seen one of those.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stubo View Post
    Nice dial. It is a Japanese market Auto using a 7750 variant. Pretty sure it uses Superluminova so 1997 onwards, maybe even early 2000s.
    Last edited by Padders; 5th February 2018 at 15:45.

Apprentice
    Thanks guys, yeah it was the dial and dash of red that drew me. I was (and still am) a bit wet behind the ears though...paid Ł1k for the watch and had an official Omega service last year which hurt the wallet. Didn't have the confidence to get it serviced anywhere else.

Craftsman

Speedy LE's

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Have noticed over the last few weeks that the Grey dealers prices are starting to drop on their available stock of Omega LE speedies, whether that be the Tuesday, 60th and CK2998.

Plenty of them around in the usual unworn stickered condition but no takers. Has the first flush of enthusiasm for these now dropped off as buyers have looked at other options rather than pay the inflated price, which does not seem to impair the Daytona or hulk etc purchases in the same way. Or was in just too much of the hype following a new release creating a false market that was not really there for those models.

Do not think they will be far away from RRP by the end of the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Do not think they will be far away from RRP by the end of the summer.
    I hope you are right.

Master
    I think one reason is that many buyers think the original Speedie Pro is still the best. And it costs so much less.

Apprentice
    VERY happy with my new reduced. Fits my smaller wrist perfectly! Also love the jubilee / daydate style bracelet a lot. IMG_2300.JPG

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by soundwave View Post
    VERY happy with my new reduced. Fits my smaller wrist perfectly! Also love the jubilee / daydate style bracelet a lot. IMG_2300.JPG

Lovely - how are you liking it so far? I am interested in picking up the 3539.50 but not sure if it's worth the premium over the 3510.10.

I know the reduced seem to get a bad rep round forums, but I must say I am a massive fan of the 3510.52 the JDM Reverse Panda:

Sooo if anyone out there has one and they're willing to sell...HMU.

Journeyman
    Speedy Tuesday _20180213_160524.JPG

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The reverse panda reduced looks very nice; I hadn’t seen one before.

I’ve had a thing for the Italian LE albino Speedmaster. Though last year I found an all-white dial auto:

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    The reverse panda reduced looks very nice; I hadn’t seen one before.

I’ve had a thing for the Italian LE albino Speedmaster. Though last year I found an all-white dial auto

C'or, another lovely one - do you have a reference for that? Don't think I've seen that combo before!

Master
    I don’t have the watch to hand right now, but there was an article about them on the Fratello website that quotes the references 375.0032 and then PIC 3810.20

Posted this on the combo thread too, but really quite happy with this alternative look to the steel bracelet, and the lug gap is hidden. What I did notice is how close the spring pin holes are to the edge of the lugs...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Tim63; 7th April 2018 at 20:22.

Journeyman
    Love that patina ^.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim63 View Post
    Posted this on the combo thread too, but really quite happy with this alternative look to the steel bracelet, and the lug gap is hidden. What I did notice is how close the spring pin holes are to the edge of the lugs...

[IMG][/IMG]
    That for me is the perfect Speedie. What year is it (I'm thinking mid-late 80's)?

That for me is the perfect Speedie. What year is it (I'm thinking mid-late 80's)?
    Bang on Tony, 1986. And thank you, passed to me by my Dad when I started taking an interest in watches.

Bang on Tony, 1986. And thank you, passed to me by my Dad when I started taking an interest in watches.
    Thanks Tim - even better in that it has special meaning to you. Beautiful.

I agree with Tony, it is a stunning looking watch Tim. The patina of the markers is superb and although people get very excited about DON inserts on earlier watches, I think the big Tachymetre inserts of the 70s and 80s are the one to have. Minor detail I know, but there you go and great that there is also a sentimentle attachment. A life long keeper for sure.

Enjoy and it does look stunning on that rubber strap. Not seen that combination before on a Speedy.

This is my old one from a similar year...

Last edited by learningtofly; 17th February 2018 at 21:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    A life long keeper for sure.

Enjoy and it does look stunning on that rubber strap. Not seen that combination before on a Speedy.
    Very kind of you to say so Ken. I have been slimming down my collection, but in the process trying to find suitable alternative straps to bracelets, just to freshen up things with the ones that remain!

Master

Last edited by Padders; 17th February 2018 at 22:18.

Craftsman
    I’ve searched the forum generally and this thread so apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but what do people consider an acceptable gain for a Speedmaster to make? Mine appears to gain around a minute a day, give or take. I’ve been accepting it as is for now but have been wondering if this is wildly inaccurate for a speedy. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by tabascokid View Post
    I’ve searched the forum generally and this thread so apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but what do people consider an acceptable gain for a Speedmaster to make? Mine appears to gain around a minute a day, give or take. I’ve been accepting it as is for now but have been wondering if this is wildly inaccurate for a speedy. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

What vintage?

Is it consistently gaining a minute, or does how much it gain fluctuate?

Mine is running around 1.5 seconds fast a day, but it's a recent one. I thought it was a COSC model, but apparently it's never been.

Craftsman
    1991 (1450022). If yours only loses a second or so, I think that answers my question. Must need a bit of TLC!

Must need a bit of TLC!
    Yep!

Craftsman
    Grand. Cheers for the speedy replies! (Ho Ho)

Craftsman
    Been lurking round here for ages and ages.

And still not bought my first Speedy which was probably the watch that brought me here.

Standard Moonwatch Pro please. :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan1981 View Post
    Been lurking round here for ages and ages.

And still not bought my first Speedy which was probably the watch that brought me here.

Standard Moonwatch Pro please. :)
    Spot on. That's the one ...every bit as great as people say. Which is quite unusual in 'watch-world.'

Yeah, it's a bold call. Matches almost nothing I'm wearing but did get a positive comment from the motorbike sales guy today. First time I've had a watch comment in ages.

Master
    I'm quite taken by the Speedmaster Reduced and the Speedmaster Day Date (3520.50). I like the look of the thin black bezel and very clear face (OK the Day Date is slightly fussy!).

I'm a complete newbie to Omega. I get the impression that these two models aren't particular favourites possibly in part as they are relatively small (which I am happy with).

If that is indeed the case, are WF and C24 prices likely to be less inflated over private sale prices than more sought after models/makes? Given how silly Rolex prices have got, these seem like a good looking quality watch that you wouldn't be afraid to wear!

Any tips on price or anything else gratefully received!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Agree, that's looks very nice indeed.

Craftsman
    Here’s mine. A Speedmaster ‘57 that I got for my 60th birthday last year - I was born in 1957 and a birth year Speedie would be WELL out of my reach! I got both the bracelet and the leather strap with the deployant clasp. I do like those broad arrow ones with '1957’ on the face though. One of those may be my next purchase.

1991 (1450022). If yours only loses a second or so, I think that answers my question. Must need a bit of TLC!
    Have you checked to see if it has become magnetised? My 1999 speedy pro was gaining about 1 minute per day, got it demagnetised and it now only gains a few seconds per day! A quick, cheap, simple fix.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    Here’s mine. A Speedmaster ‘57 that I got for my 60th birthday last year - I was born in 1957 and a birth year Speedie would be WELL out of my reach! I got both the bracelet and the leather strap with the deployant clasp. I do like those broad arrow ones with '1957’ on the face though. One of those may be my next purchase.

Do you mean this kind, they also do a black dial version? My daily wear at present, and I have others which are supposedly more worthy to choose from. Not a popular choice but IMO not a bad one by any measure.

I wear it more than the Ed White shown about 12 posts back.
    Last edited by Padders; 4th March 2018 at 08:46.

Craftsman
    Yeah, that’s the one. I like the black face one with 1957 in red. They have a glass case back too. Were they a 50th anniversary issue or something?