Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The TZUK Speedmaster Thread

Craftsman
    Can't see the pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by db3266 View Post
    Can't see the pic?

Strange. If you were referring to my pic I don't know what to suggest, hope others can view as it really is a belter! (imho)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim63 View Post
    Strange. If you were referring to my pic I don't know what to suggest, hope others can view as it really is a belter! (imho)
    I can see it, and it's an absolute beauty.

I can't see it either

can't view on tapatalk but can on a mac

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    can't view on tapatalk but can on a mac
    Can't be seen on TZ app either

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Can see it on the Mac. Very nice indeed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by db3266 View Post
    a link to the Ed White post on this forum.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...nd-the-mission
    That is a cracking read thank you for posting the link.

Craftsman
    I tried one on again the other day. I like it more and more, especially on a leather strap.

Craftsman

Craftsman
    Last edited by tom waring; 22nd August 2017 at 10:04.

Is that the Jubilee 27 CHRO C12? A pretty rare beast if it is. Only 999 made for the Italian market.

Steve

Craftsman
    No Steve, its just an 'ordinary' 09-12 production Speedy. They didn't fly off the shelves and were quietly dropped by Omega. It's a marmite, somewhat under the radar Speedy. I don't think that many were made but there's no official word on how many from Omega. It's featured on today's Speedy Tuesday if you're interested.

Craftsman
    This Speedmaster variant has always been a favourite...surprised they are not more popular.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Popular with me. I bloody love that.

Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post
    No Steve, its just an 'ordinary' 09-12 production Speedy. They didn't fly off the shelves and were quietly dropped by Omega. It's a marmite, somewhat under the radar Speedy. I don't think that many were made but there's no official word on how many from Omega. It's featured on today's Speedy Tuesday if you're interested.

Looks very similar!

Apprentice
    Im really struggling to decide between a Speedmaster Professional (006 Sapphire Crystal) and a FOIS.

I'm devastated! I was in the local jewellers at the weekend and tried on a Speedy Pro, a watch I've wanted for quite a while.

But, it just didn't feel right on my wrist.

I reckon my wrist is just too small, which is strange as my 16600 and Tudor Heritage Chrono feel fine.

I should say that it was on the bracelet, not a strap (I prefer the bracelet).

Gutted, as the watch is glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Big View Post
    I'm devastated! I was in the local jewellers at the weekend and tried on a Speedy Pro, a watch I've wanted for quite a while.

But, it just didn't feel right on my wrist.

I reckon my wrist is just too small, which is strange as my 16600 and Tudor Heritage Chrono feel fine.

I should say that it was on the bracelet, not a strap (I prefer the bracelet).

Gutted, as the watch is glorious.
    Perhaps trying to organise an exchange with a less chunky bracelet could be the key, something like an 1171 for example which is thinner, more tapered and drops of at the end links unlike the supplied bracelet which does add bulk.

Pic I took for the Speedy Tuesday Facebook group yesterday with the 1171 bracelet.

Having owned the standard Speedy bracelet previously, the 1171 works better on a smaller wrist IMO. Although be aware it has a limit on how small it will go, my wrists are slightly below 6.5" and I've removed all removable links and have only two spare holes on the clasp to reduce it further.

I ordered some new straps the other day and gave them a try on the MK2.

Craftsman
    My FOIS

I picked up this 20mm mesh the other day, it seems match up.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    I picked up this 20mm mesh the other day, it seems match up.

Nice pic👍

Craftsman
    Might have posted in this thread already but it was before the photof@cket mess so trying again :

Master
    The speedy has to be on a NATO IMO....

I still maintain that the Hirsch terra is pretty much unbeatable.

Craftsman
    Some gratuitous photographs of my new strap from Stewart at Heuerville.

Craftsman
    That is a very nice strap.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I still maintain that the Hirsch terra is pretty much unbeatable.

Yep, they're one of my favourite straps overall. I'll give you extra points for the coordination there.

On anthracite...

Craftsman
    Wanted to try one of these for a while....

Master
    Speedy on the Hirsch Professional

LUME

Craftsman
    My Speedmaster Professional (ref 3750.50); the king of versatility...

Original bracelet:

Hirsch black leather:

Timefactors grey NATO:

The TZUK Speedmaster Thread

Just testing out the tap talk app.....

Craftsman

I agree, the TF grey NATO is a cracking strap.

Craftsman

Is the entire 1479 bracelet brushed?

Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post
    Answering a request from the Friday thread here is my modern Speedmaster on a 1479 bracelet to give it a bit of a vintage hint.
    I know many loves here the Speedy on leather, but IMHO it should be worn on either a Velcro (in case you are wearing a space suit), or on bracelet. The 1479 is from the 90s and it was apparently the second solid links Speedy bracelet (?) Apart from the look I love it for creating way shorter virtual lug to lug size comparing to modern Speedy bracelets. In fact the 812 end links needed a bit of modding, but invisible and I'm happy with the result.

And what do we think about brushing the entire modern, 1998 bracelet? Reduces the bling of the bracelet while keeping the modern functionality. I'm leaning towards trading my modern 1998 for a 1171 but am getting paranoid about the lack of quality 'feel' ascribed to the 1171. Thoughts?

Master

An old Gal and her slightly rare relative

Apprentice

Speedmaster Moonwatch Chronograph Co-Axial

Hi All,

First post so go easy! I have been a long time lurker on this forum and must say a huge thank you to everyone for answering most of my questions without ever having to ask anything. I was in the market for a watch for the past year or so and as I got some big invoices paid lately (I'm self employed) I said now is the time. You've probably guessed that I bought a Speedmaster as I am posting here bit I'll go through the selection process anyway.

In no particular order here were my criteria for a selection
    - New and from an AD. This has nothing against non AD's, second hand etc. I wanted the watch to be mine from Day 1 straight out of the box.
    - Can be worn on bracelet or strap with equal class but primarily a bracelet. I sometimes have to dress formally and wear suits (not too often thankfully) therefore I wanted the watch to be versatile. I will also be wearing it for my upcoming wedding so it has to be sleek and a bit understated also. Has to be on a bracelet for everyday use as after two months of wear a leather strap will smell like the proverbial whales vajay.
    - A recognizable model but must have something unique or separating from a standard model
    - Resale value not critical. I plan on keeping the watch forever
    - Preference for chronograph but not at all vital but not a three hand classic either
    - Preference for second time zone display but again not vital
    - Must have a date display
    - Above 42mm or it looks like a 5p on my wrist. I have a 7.25" wrist
    - Optimistically keeping my budget around £5-6K

I am currently wearing in rotation a G-Shock steel GST-210, a Calvin Klein K2S374 (both gifts) and a 9 year old Suunto Vector HR which is bulletproof and has been through the wars but is very practical for some of my work.

So anyway it was time to add a real watch to the above list so I made a shortlist of watches by brand and then narrowed it down to preferred 1/2 watches per brand knowing that when I would be trying them on I would have several other options in my head. So the final list was

Rolex GMT Master II (black and blue bezel)
    Rolex Explorer II (black dial)
    Tag Heuer Monaco Calibre 11
    Breitling Navitimer World (blue dial)
    IWC Portugieser Chrono 390303 (Blue dial)
    Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Chronograph (Ti on Ti blue dial)

The process of elimination went a bit like this
    - GMT Master II was too difficult to find new so gone off the list immediately.
    - Explorer II did not jump of my wrist and like a lot of forum posters I preferred the white dial once I tried them on. Also not gone on the appearance with a leather strap. My experience in the Rolex AD was not brilliant either but I put that down to my own fault and a little bit of selfishness that I can explain later.
    - Monaco looks super on my wrist but with a bracelet everyday it loses its class completely. I have been a big fan for a long time but I couldn't bring myself to stinking out straps constantly. It drove me mad on a few previous watches.
    - Navitimer World again looked great on display and in pictures but just not on my wrist, it was a little big and I think its not too sleek for under a suit or tux. Also not sure about its look on a bracelet and wearing leather almost every day is out.
    - IWC again a huge fan of this watch on a strap but just not on a bracelet.

And now you probably know where this is going, you may also have noticed I like blue in my watches.

The Speedmaster I had chosen as my fav is the co-axial with blue dial titanium on titanium version with the option of blue leather strap for formal wear. I had been mucking around trying on other Speedmasters about a year ago but my budget wasn't allowing me over £4K and I just parked the whole watch idea and stopped looking. I was in Las Vegas in March and the want for a watch came back in a bad way, I tried on several Speedmasters but as it was Vegas my memory is hazy at best. So yesterday I decided I was going into town, trying on all of my wishlist and hopefully buying something.

First stop was Harrods and the day follows on like this;
    *Rolex experience - it was Harrods, it was a Saturday, the watch room is undergoing refurb, too many tyre kickers, too many tourists, no seats etc. My wife to be works for Harrods group so would be able to get a discount on all watches except Rolex sports watches so that compounded the issue further! I should have went to the Rolex across the road in One Hyde Park but anyway I'm not sure I was ever buying a Rolex this time around. We were also able to find out that the refurb would not be complete until Feb 18 and as Omega have no boutique it would be too late for me to have something for our wedding.
    *Breitling, TAG experience was v poor I must say. My fiance is also looking for a watch (2-3K budget) to replace a Longines she got as a present (not from me) but doesn't really like too much. So after trying a few on in Harrods we went to Watches of Switzerland in Knightsbridge to both try a few other watches. Both of us knowing that whatever she liked and brand dependent she can get Harrods to get one for her as their selection is vastly reduced during the refurb and me knowing I'm probably not getting a discounted Omega! Anyway from the minute we arrived we were bombarded with a 0% interest sales line. My fiance tried a few watches first and the guy mentioned it 4 times about 0% interest without ever discussing a particular watch or anything about it. Eventually she took the reference of an Aquaracer and I tried the Breitling Navitimer and Monaco, again the 0% finance was mentioned and at this stage I had enough. They didn't have a blue dial Navitimer in store so I tried a black dial version. I just didn't like it on my wrist as much as I thought I would and by the time we came back to the Monaco I just had enough of the store to be honest. I didn't even bother asking to try the IWC as I knew I wouldn't be buying it.

Luckily my next port of call was Hugo Boss to collect a jacket I ordered online, they faffed about trying to find the jacket but kindly offered us coffee as we waited. I think this was the moment of relaxation I needed after what had happened in Harrods and the other store and knowing I was not getting a discount.

It was 5.00pm by the time we left and I said to myself this is a disaster but I'm going to quickly try the Omega store then go home sleep on it and come back tomorrow and start again. As I said as soon as we entered Omega I was sold. The staff could not have been more helpful, we got champagne of course but having gone through the experience of engagement ring shopping for 8 weeks it was easy to see past the champagne and judge what the real service is like. It was almost 6.30pm when we left the store even though they close at 6.00pm. I tried at least 6 different Speedmasters, one on each hand, a Seamaster 300m with a speedmaster on opposite hand, a Planet Ocean etc. Seamaster has no date so no chance and the Planet Ocean is beautiful but is a behemoth of a watch and not sleek enough for under a suit. More than I expected it was good to try other Omega models for several reasons, weight, crown position, protrusion, pushers etc in relation to the Speedmaster.

As it was 6.30pm I didn't want to delay much longer for us and for the staff and I took the watch as is, I need to remove a link, possibly two but I think one and the half link adjustment on the clasp will do it perfectly. Once the strap and Ti buckle are available I will spend some time with the inhouse watchmaker getting a few tips on changing bracelet to strap and general minding. My wearing habits can be peculiar also so it will be good to discuss that too.

So here she is...

On another note, I tried a Speedmaster which has a pusher at the 10 o'clock position, red second hand and retail was around £10.5K I think. I cannot find this model anywhere online?? A more knowlegable person might be able to shed some light on what it is.

Hopefully I haven't bored anybody to death.

P.
    Last edited by Oilman; 3rd September 2017 at 11:13.

Master
    Good read. Thanks for that.
    Hazy Vegas memories ... lol, I know what you mean !

Craftsman
    Just in case anyone fancies it - this just put up on SC.

Just in case anyone fancies it - this just put up on SC
    Very nice Tom, GLWTS.

The grail wouldn't be the Japan issue Racing off Darren by any chance.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Very nice Tom, GLWTS.

The grail wouldn't be the Japan issue Racing off Darren by any chance.
    Cheers and thanks..
    No, its something very much more difficult to find!
    EDIT: it is a moonphase!
    Last edited by tom waring; 4th September 2017 at 18:17.

Craftsman
    Ken was curious, so here is a pic taken just now of the new Speedy.

This little beauty landed yesterday. It is my 'holy grail' piece and I have hunted high and low to find one. It's an Apollo 11 30th anniversary release, which had a total production of 285 pieces according to various sources (and corroborated by an October 8th 2010 email I have seen from someone inside Omega to another collector). Made of 18k white gold, with a matching WG deployant clasp, it has a warmth and in some lights almost an 'oily' shine. I haven't set it up for correct date and moonphase yet. Luck was on my side for once - it is in lovely crisp condition, with original inner and outer boxes, cards and papers, pusher pin tool, hang tags and even the caseback sticker.

Hard to concentrate at work today!

Having a reshuffle of a few pieces as a result of this. My s/s moonphase is on SC if anyone is interested.

@tom waring, that's a beauty! Congratulations. Had never seen this particular model before, would love to see more photos when you get chance.

Out of interest was the second hand always without lume on this model? It must be very nice and weighty in 18ct?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    @tom waring, that's a beauty! Congratulations. Had never seen this particular model before, would love to see more photos when you get chance.

Out of interest was the second hand always without lume on this model? It must be very nice and weighty in 18ct?
    Thank you. Ok, will take some more pics over the next few days and post some. Yes, the seconds hand was always hollow on this model. It's a nice detail. Well spotted! Weighty? It's got a heft to it, for sure. Cheers, Tom.

Apprentice

This little beauty landed yesterday. It is my 'holy grail' piece and I have hunted high and low to find one. It's an Apollo 11 30th anniversary release, which had a total production of 285 pieces according to various sources (and corroborated by an October 8th 2010 email I have seen from someone inside Omega to another collector). Made of 18k white gold, with a matching WG deployant clasp, it has a warmth and in some lights almost an 'oily' shine. I haven't set it up for correct date and moonphase yet. Luck was on my side for once - it is in lovely crisp condition, with original inner and outer boxes, cards and papers, pusher pin tool, hang tags and even the caseback sticker.

Hard to concentrate at work today!

Having a reshuffle of a few pieces as a result of this. My s/s moonphase is on SC if anyone is interested.
    Thats lovely. Congrats.

Craftsman

Simply stunning. Glad to hear you've managed to track one down. There must have been much excitement when you concluded the deal!!

Very nice indeed Tom, well done on finally tracking one down. You are building up a decent collect of Apollo XI watches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ghu1967 View Post
    Simply stunning. Glad to hear you've managed to track one down. There must have been much excitement when you concluded the deal!!
    To be honest, I still haven't recovered/got used to having landed one! It is a silly thing I know, but I've been more worked up about this than almost anything I can remember for years! Thank you for your kind words.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Very nice indeed Tom, well done on finally tracking one down. You are building up a decent collect of Apollo XI watches.
    Thanks Ken. No more 'incomings' for me for a while, that's for sure! Time to take stock and thin the herd a little now. Cheers, Tom