timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The TZUK Speedmaster Thread

Master
    Hirsch Professional Brown

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    After selling most of my collection, I'm finally able to contribute to this thread. Acquired this beauty today from a fellow member. Could not be happier.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Looks splendid.

I sold all of my collection in order to buy mine - its gone now but I don't regret it at all. I think everyone should try one of these at least once.

Lost count of all the Speedmasters I saw yesterday (many on a GGB Velcro) at a lecture by Apollo16 astronaut Charlie Duke in Milton Keynes! (He was wearing the one too)

Apologies for the rotten pic
    Last edited by bigvic; 10th September 2017 at 11:54.

Looks like he is gesturing towards an incredibly enormous planet with curly blond hair that he has just discovered.

Lecture must have been interesting though.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Looks like he is gesturing towards an incredibly enormous planet with curly blond hair that he has just discovered.

At at least I managed to avoid the woman with her Barnet in a beehive who sat in front of my missus!

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post

The incredibly enormous planet with blond curly hair looks to have it's own moon too!

Master
    Some rare Lancashire Sunshine!

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Arrive yesterday!

It's Kippax's fault.....

Craftsman
    Been catching up on some threads on TZUK this weekend since sacking off Photobucket and uploading some pics on IMGUR. Anyway - here's my FOIS. Got it earlier this year at Deacons in Swindon - pre-owned - 2 years old with box and everything. Funny thing is, I went there to have a look at Grand Seiko's because I'm a bit of a Seiko fan boy and still haven't scratched the Grand seiko itch. The speedmaster has been calling me for a lot longer though. Tried on speedy pro's before but they never felt quite tight on my 6.5" wrist. Then I saw this and just had to try it on, can't see myself ever flipping it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Master
    45th anniversary on a gorgeous dark green Bulang that is a match made in watch heaven

Journeyman

Speedmaster 45

Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    45th anniversary on a gorgeous dark green Bulang that is a match made in watch heaven

That is a masterpiece! I never liked the NATO that the watch came with, excellent choice of strap.

Master
    Anyone know what a 'Special Projects' Speedmaster was ? A watch described as this with metal alpha hands , don 90 .1963 model has gone for a smallish amount of £48k !!! including buyers premium at watches of Knightsbridge auction . It's lot 178 for easy reference .
    One happy seller I expect

Master
    Back on Steel for a change!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    Back on Steel for a change!
    Very nice Matt. I know you guys like your straps and NATOs, but you cannot beat a Speedy on a bracelet - IMO

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Very nice Matt. I know you guys like your straps and NATOs, but you cannot beat a Speedy on a bracelet - IMO
    Thanks Ken, and yes, although I'm a fan of wearing this Watch on a variety of Leather Straps, it's also nice to pop the Bracelet on now and again!

Quote Originally Posted by jason.humphrey.180 View Post
    Been catching up on some threads on TZUK this weekend since sacking off Photobucket and uploading some pics on IMGUR. Anyway - here's my FOIS. Got it earlier this year at Deacons in Swindon - pre-owned - 2 years old with box and everything. Funny thing is, I went there to have a look at Grand Seiko's because I'm a bit of a Seiko fan boy and still haven't scratched the Grand seiko itch. The speedmaster has been calling me for a lot longer though. Tried on speedy pro's before but they never felt quite tight on my 6.5" wrist. Then I saw this and just had to try it on, can't see myself ever flipping it.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Could we get a namecheck for that strap please Jason - it looks a beaut!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    Could we get a namecheck for that strap please Jason - it looks a beaut!
    Very supple leather, custom made by steveostraps for me from his 'New Black Bay' leather, though, I asked him to do it with a simple stitch and black seal the edges. 19mm at the lugs of course and taper to 18mm for a butterfly deployment. http://www.steveostraps.com/straps-2/top-end-stuff
    Basically, he'll make one to your specs and indeed, wrist size. Very reasonable price for a bespoke strap too. Tell him Jason Humphrey / 'tunokies' sent you.

^^^ Thanks Jason - great info

(and beautiful watch by the way)

Master
    Wondered what people’s are about this one. I like the style though pricing at near 7k is punchy

Apprentice

References you want to see.

With the release of the 60th speedy and its reference to the ck2915, the Fois referencing the Ck2998 and the Mark ii re issue. Is their anything else from the History banks that Omega can pull out of the vault and bring to the market or was the latest 60th speedy the last great reference.

Anything you would like to see or do you think that they will now stick to more Snoopy or Tuesday editions to keep the interest. Can they still excite the market in 2019 with the moon landing anniversary

D.
    Last edited by davidalexander1968; 10th October 2017 at 00:02.

Quote Originally Posted by davidalexander1968 View Post
    With the release of the 60th speedy and its reference to the ck2915, the Fois referencing the Ck2998 and the Mark ii re issue. Is their anything else from the History banks that Omega can pull out of the vault and bring to the market or was the latest 60th speedy the last great reference.

Anything you would like to see or do you think that they will now stick to more Snoopy or Tuesday editions to keep the interest. Can they still excite the market in 2019 with the moon landing anniversary

D.
    Having done a 60th anniversary limited edition to the first Speedmaster, they could keep the series going. The 2998 was a far more pleasing Watch to look at in my opinion than the '57 with the straight spear like hands, then they could move on to the 105:003 Ed White with now the familiar hands etc. Both of these would have straight lugs and no crown guards and a retro DON insert and modern version 7912 bracelet - but I bet people would buy them. They could milk it right through to the end of the stepped dials in '71.

Quote Originally Posted by davidalexander1968 View Post

D.
    I'm not ever likely to be in the financial situation to be a collector, so I'm content with just the one Speedmaster. However if Omega ever saw fit to make a limited run of the 1972 Akaska Project II prototype I would sell my house if I had to!

My favourite ever Speedmaster....

Maybe 2022 for the 50th anniversary? I'll keep my hopes up.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I'm not ever likely to be in the financial situation to be a collector, so I'm content with just the one Speedmaster. However if Omega ever saw fit to make a limited run of the 1972 Akaska Project II prototype I would sell my house if I had to!

My favourite ever Speedmaster....

Maybe 2022 for the 50th anniversary? I'll keep my hopes up.
    Special

Sent from my G8441 using TZ-UK mobile app

A 40th anniversary Italian "albino". There's a great review on fratello if you Google speedmaster albino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    We can look forward to the 50th Anniversary edition in 2 years time!

Craftsman
    'Tintin' Speedy becoming much better appreciated/sought after by Speedy fans. Why now, but not before?

Never owned one, but deffo a fan of the speedy, quick question though; The majority of the watches on this thread are 'professional' with only a few being 'automatics'. What is the difference? Is it a quality or a size thing?

Quote Originally Posted by 97BlackC5 View Post
    The majority of the watches on this thread are 'professional' with only a few being 'automatics'. What is the difference?
    This should answer that:

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 97BlackC5 View Post
    Never owned one, but deffo a fan of the speedy, quick question though; The majority of the watches on this thread are 'professional' with only a few being 'automatics'. What is the difference? Is it a quality or a size thing?
    The Professional is a manual watch starting with the 321 movement (very sort after) then the cam 861 movement (increasingly sort after) followed by the modern Speedies with 1861 movements these also include very sort after limited editions and of course the classic Speedy.
    At some point I’d guess that Omega probably thought about just dropping the manual and moving fully automatic however it’s such an icon any such thoughts were dropped. They also thought that manuals would perform better in space hence it becoming the Astronauts ‘Professional’ watch .

Over the years auto Speedies have come in various forms such as the Speedie reduced and I believe the 42mm size. More recently Omega have a line of very technically accomplished Auto Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon etc.

It really is horses for courses but on this thread the love of the Manual Speedie Pro is going to get the love .
    Others will no doubt give more technical info.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    At some point I’d guess that Omega probably thought about just dropping the manual and moving fully automatic however it’s such an icon any such thoughts were dropped. They also thought that manuals would perform better in space hence it becoming the Astronauts ‘Professional’ watch .
    There was no auto chronograph movement available when NASA selected the Speedmaster for use in space so it wasn't a question of manual wind being better: it was all there was until the Zenith El Primero et al came along a few years later. Auto wind watches work fine in space. Rolexes and Seikos have performed admirable service up there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post
    'Tintin' Speedy becoming much better appreciated/sought after by Speedy fans. Why now, but not before?

There’s been some thoughts that the online images of the Tintin didn’t do it any favours on the Omega website. On the wrist though they look brilliant and its one of the few watches I’ve had that has been complimented on.
    They also certainly underplayed the marketing probably due to the famous Herge foundation / family trust cock-up theory. Still every cloud! You now have a pretty rare and beautiful watch!

TZ has sorted me with a beautiful Speedmaster, always fancied one and after putting up a WTB on here I had several offers from virtually brand new through to vintage watch head only..

I'm a sucker for vintage so that's the watch I went for and so glad I did (thanks Longblackcoat) looks to have all original parts from what I can see, including the step dial which is just gorgeous, it maybe a birth year watch too so that will add to its charm..

Just as the watch was on its way to me a correct bracelet 1171 with screws and No11 in the clasp along 633 end links come up on SC, so without hesitation I grabbed it, arrived today (thanks Schofie) and fitted..

Also going to order some vintage leather straps as most Speedy's look great on leather, I'm really tempted by the Omega Extract of the Archives, yes its costly for a sheet of A4 in a posh folder but it lets me know when and where it originated and adds to the provenience..

This a keeper and I'm afraid I may have the Speedmaster bug!!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    TZ has sorted me with a beautiful Speedmaster, always fancied one and after putting up a WTB on here I had several offers from virtually brand new through to vintage watch head only..

I'm a sucker for vintage so that's the watch I went for and so glad I did (thanks Longblackcoat) looks to have all original parts from what I can see, including the step dial which is just gorgeous, it maybe a birth year watch too so that will add to its charm..

Just as the watch was on its way to me a correct bracelet 1171 with screws and No11 in the clasp along 633 end links come up on SC, so without hesitation I grabbed it, arrived today (thanks Schofie) and fitted..

Also going to order some vintage leather straps as most Speedy's look great on leather, I'm really tempted by the Omega Extract of the Archives, yes its costly for a sheet of A4 in a posh folder but it lets me know when and where it originated and adds to the provenience..

That really is a work of art, stunning!

Craftsman
    Love the shot in the leaves!

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post

That looks stunning, the only watch I know that I would not part with. Enjoy.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Apprentice

Paperweight

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    It's a paperweight, but it's more for show as it's surprisingly thin and light. I guess it'd hold down a couple of pieces of paper if it wasn't too windy!

Still, it looks nice!

It is supposed to be a paperweight but depending on who packages up the Kit from my experience, it seems to become an in the box discus with its sole intention of trying to smash the watch up during delivery .

Bought twice online and had to return because of the paperweight smacking the speedy during transit.

D.

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Hi @gbn13, is that a zuludiver strap?

Quote Originally Posted by degsey View Post
    Hi @gbn13, is that a zuludiver strap?

It's one of Pavel's on this forum (Pav79).

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    It's one of Pavel's on this forum (Pav79).
    Thanks looks the same from the top view as a Zuludiver strap I have on a Hamilton Khaki which I really like and I didn't think of fitting it in my speedmaster. I might do now I've seen yours. One of the reasons I bought the strap was the metal keepers.

Journeyman
    hi guys, I know this is considered one of the lesser speedy's, but its my favourite one so far and a recent purchase.

However i was considering sourxing a bracelet for it but dont have the funds for an original omega part.

Does anyone know of a good aftermarket bracelet that would fit this? Predereably oyster style.

I was looking at this add on ebay but not sure if it will fit

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F162362225769

Sent from my SM-N950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by DangerBabz View Post
    hi guys, I know this is considered one of the lesser speedy's, but its my favourite one so far and a recent purchase.

However i was considering sourxing a bracelet for it but dont have the funds for an original omega part.

Does anyone know of a good aftermarket bracelet that would fit this? Predereably oyster style.

I was looking at this add on ebay but not sure if it will fit

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F162362225769

I can't comment on the strap you asked about but love the watch. I had one the same on appreciation for a couple of weeks. I didn't buy it in the end but really wish I had. These are underrated in my opinion and a great everyday watch.

Journeyman
    I agree. I almost returned it once i had it as initially it seemed small to me and the 18mm strap seemed tiny. I'm kind of used to the modern sizes. However a couple of days on the wrist and its definately become my daily wearer. Suited to almost any situation.

Master
    Do try and get hold of a bracelet if you can, although they're not cheap. I'm not a fan of mine on leather, but on the omega bracelet it looks brilliant (in my humble, unbiased opinion)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Do try and get hold of a bracelet if you can, although they're not cheap. I'm not a fan of mine on leather, but on the omega bracelet it looks brilliant (in my humble, unbiased opinion)
    Do you haplen to know what the exact bracelet number is?..

I wasnt a fan of the thin leather straps either, but actually when i put on slightly wider straps after cutting them down it looks a lot nicer to me

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master

I wasnt a fan of the thin leather straps either, but actually when i put on slightly wider straps after cutting them down it looks a lot nicer to me

All my watches are the other side of the country, so can't help on that I'm afraid. Exact model is important though, the bracelet fits perfectly on one triple date, yet on another it does not as it requires ever so slightly different end links.

Personally I've no issue with 18mm straps, but I find that on these size speedmasters, it looks far better with a thicker flat sided strap as opposed to something more dressy with stitched tapered sides.

Speedy Day/Date is 1562-850 - 18mm

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Speedy Day/Date is 1562-850 - 18mm
    Thanks man, it doesnt seem like the easiest one to find though!