closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling crown fault

Breitling crown fault

I have a Breitling Superocean 2002 model that has developed a fault with the crown. It's pulls out to every step and adjusts hands and date but will not screw down , it pops back out .

Can anyone recommend an independent watch repairer that deal with Breitling , with it being so old I don't really want to send to BUK .

Apprentice
    Good afternoon.
    I was looking at getting an independent to service my breitling. Long story short as I understand it breitling as a rule don't out sources there parts to independents. In the end it went back to breitling.

Hope this helps

Rob

Duncan from Genesis told me the same thing, found a repairer locally that said they can do it .

Now they've had it for three days they can't repair . Any thoughts please .

Master
    I'm afraid I think you're compelled to entrust it to the BUK elves.

breitling will not supply parts to anyone . if this is an eta 2824 then it can be repaired by replacing the broken stem .

Without opening the watch an independent repairer said it would need a new mid case as the tubes are soldered in.

I've been googling a bit and it seems it's a common problem with Breitling crowns. But you should be able to specify the crown repair only without service.

You've got nothing to lose by phoning BUK and asking.

I was told they would'nt do it without doing the service.

Either your tube or crown threads are worn out, I can replace these for you, and I'm able to source new Breitling parts :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcb2007 View Post
    I was told the same, I had a quote for service and repair for +£500 or repair only for one fifth of that. When I opted for repair only, they told me it needed the service too and wouldn't budge.
    Ironically, when it was moved on less than ten months later after the service, the new owner had to send it back to BUK as there was another issue with the crown.

Craftsman
    I think Breitling UK is your best option. The crown and tube don't cost much, however you will have to pay for service.

My Breitling SOP 2002 had a similar problem. The crown did screw down, but only with half a turn instead of 2. I guess it was threaded. I paid a service and it was good for a month, then the same thing happened. I sent it back under warranty and BUK fixed it. It has been perfect in the last 3 years

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like exactly the same fault found with Omega smp crown/case tube threads.

Without opening the watch an independent repairer said it would need a new mid case as the tubes are soldered in.
    I used to have three Breitling models in what was formerly referred to as the "Aeromarine" range. Your SO falls into this category too. Here's what one of the top independent repair guys in the U.S. told me about my watches:

1) He saw a lot of crown/stem failure in this range.
    2) Replacement, rather than repair, is required, due to the integrated design with the mid-case you cite above.
    3) It's impossible for him to get the parts.
    4) Breitling factory service will refuse to perform the work without a full service.

I really liked the watches, but eventually this knowledge led me to sell off the entire lot. For watches that are essentially glorified commodity products with ETA movements, they simply were not worth the expense and trouble. There are times when factory service is called for, but also times when service from my local watch guy should suffice. I resented Breitling taking that choice away from me.

Quote Originally Posted by SSTEEL View Post
    Either your tube or crown threads are worn out, I can replace these for you, and I'm able to source new Breitling parts :)
    If you were in the UK I'd send it you double quick , but don't fancy sending it all that way to Finland anything could happen. Thank you for the offer .

Journeyman
    I had my crown replaced a few months ago, there's a before and after thread here.

I can't quite remember how much the crown itself was (I can look at the quote if you'd like) but it was quite cheap - £70 maybe. Breitling will send you a full estimate in two parts - essential and nice to have. You can select any option you wish, including just having the watch back for about £20 IIRC...

For what it's worth, mine was pretty borked, (just look at the thread!) but £960ish later it looks like it just left the factory :)

Have a look at the service videos on the Breitling website for more info, you can always opt for the cheaper service and crown replacement, but you'll only have the options once it's been assessed. (2-3 weeks I think)

Just had a quote for £130 off an independent for the crown stem , he seems to think only the crown thread has failed. Does that sound ok.

Grand Master
    If I've understood correctly the stem is not the problem,it's the crown and/or the threaded pendant tube in the case that are at fault. These parts will be Breitling-specific; if the movement's' s an ETA the stem is easy to source but swapping the stem won' t fix the problem!

Sometimes it's only the crown or the pendant tube threads that are damaged, but usually both are worn and it makes sense to replace both. Unless the repairer has access to Breitling parts I can't see how this will get fixed properly unless generic parts are being fitted. Might be worth asking these questions before committing to the repair.

These problems don't develop overnight, it's usually obvious that the threads are damaged long before the crown fails to stay screwed down.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    I was told the same, I had a quote for service and repair for +£500 or repair only for one fifth of that. When I opted for repair only, they told me it needed the service too and wouldn't budge.
    Ironically, when it was moved on less than ten months later after the service, the new owner had to send it back to BUK as there was another issue with the crown.
    I experienced the exact same thing with Breitling, full service or nothing. I don't think they'll settle for repair only unless the watch is juuust out of warranty.

Sometimes it's only the crown or the pendant tube threads that are damaged, but usually both are worn and it makes sense to replace both. Unless the repairer has access to Breitling parts I can't see how this will get fixed properly unless generic parts are being fitted. Might be worth asking these questions before committing to the repair

Paul[/QUOTE]

One has said he can source genuine parts , the other would like to see if he can get generic after measuring stem and tube. But I've spoke to a repairer who said they would only fit a new mid case at BUK as the tubes are soldered in . Everyone is telling me different things , one thing it has made me do is keep away from Breitling .i only bought it off here in Feb this year , so like you said it must have been on its way out then it only ever had one turn before crown was screwed in I never gave it a thought .

Quote Originally Posted by JeppeRober View Post
    I experienced the exact same thing with Breitling, full service or nothing. I don't think they'll settle for repair only unless the watch is juuust out of warranty.
    It's way out of warranty, did they change the mid case on yours or can they do stem ,crown and tube ?