closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: JLC Deep Sea Chronograph Value & Opinions ?

Banned

JLC Deep Sea Chronograph Value & Opinions ?

As in another thread on here I to am getting a little bored of swapping and changing my watches to a point that I just want 2 decent watches to keep and wear for the rest of time !!!
    I am currently down to 2 watches, one is a brand new sub date (I currently have it listed in the sales section but will probably withdraw it by the weekend) and the other one is an old Russian watch of my late fathers which was tarted up by Ryte time and now sits in the drawer and will never ever be up for the chop.
    The second "decent" watch is a bit up in the air at the moment, I have a green 116610LV Sub which is sat in an AD waiting for me to collect if I want it, but I have my eye on something else less similar to the black sub I already have.
    For a couple of years I've fancied a Jaeger Deep Sea Chronograph, but have always been put off by rumours of high servicing cost and low residual values, but something keeps me looking at them. I have found a brand new one not to far from where I live, its a private sale but the watch is 2014, so no warranty at all. The seller is asking £6000 which I feel is a little bit steep, but then prices of everything seems to have gone a bit crazy lately !
    Does anyone have one of these ? is a brand new 2014 watch worth £6000 or is my gut feeling correct that it is overpriced ?

Craftsman
    I like it! is a cool chrono, only comes with strap? any bracelet option? still though it looks very nice. 'Buy!' from me

Banned
    No bracelet option, the lug width is 21mm so not much option to add a bracelet. I like the black calf strap off the Omega DSOTM Deep Black which is also 21mm, and I know someone who is selling a brand new strap so that would be quite cool on it with an unbranded deployant clasp

I think it is a great good looking watch...in-house chrono movement...if a keeper why not...Blowers has one pre-owned at 5950...you might squeeze a nice discount on it...

Banned
    I've seen Blowers have 3, the cheapest one doesn't look in great condition, but at least there would be some warranty. My gut feeling is that the watch is probably £400ish overpriced seeing it is a private sale

You could be right but does that really matter if it's pristine and a keeper? Wonderful watch, by the way.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th May 2017 at 11:34.

Master
    As I said in the recent tread here regarding this reference, I think that the lack of residuals and the poor sales would put me off. Apart from that, I absolutley love this piece. I've been watching the one sat in an Edinburgh AD for the last couple of years wondering if I could swing a mega-discount off it. They have it stickered at £8,000.

Banned
    It's the residual that's putting me off and what makes me think the seller is asking too much for it at £6k. Think I'll make him an offer and see where we end up

It's a great watch. I've noticed prices seem to have gone up in the last twelve months or so and would have hoped to get one for about £5k- but it seems you can't anymore :(
    good luck

Master
    I think it is a bit steep. Last one sold on here was cheaper and took a while to sell:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ep+Chronograph

I am sure I saw a brand new one in Costco last week at a similar price and will have a Costco warranty (and probably original warranty card so manufacturers warranty too)

Banned
    It's funny, everyone says poor residual value, but you try and find a decent one for under £6k, it seems impossible right now

Master
    Blog Entries
    can't comment on price but got to say i love these. never seen one until recently and in the metal they are wonderful, so much class and quality, very interesting watch. So much so that it made me think about one for a while. Good luck in the hunt

I think it is a very elegant,perfectly sized,classy watch.
    Best bought pre-owner given the beating it takes on secondary market.
    Certainly one to give you great pleasure in ownership and wearing

image hosting no registration

Quote Originally Posted by rossi46vr View Post
    It's funny, everyone says poor residual value, but you try and find a decent one for under £6k, it seems impossible right now
    I was in a similar position the other week when I opted for Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. People came out with exactly the same comments about residuals and one person even suggested on SC they would expect the price to be £5.5k when nearly every one for sale in the U.K. is £8k+. Clearly buying new and then flipping you may lose something, but buy used and keep and you are on to a winner.

Go for it, my choice is changing my perspective. Just last night I nearly jumped in on that Blue Speedmaster, but just looked down at my wrist and thought why would I want another watch and would I be willing to take the FF off to wear the Speedy and the answer was no.

I hate to use the word grail, but if this watch is something special to you them I would do it.

Glad to see you are enjoying the BP FF,Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by rossi46vr View Post
    Everyone?

JLC and Blancpain are not on my list of poor residuals.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Everyone?

JLC and Blancpain are not on my list of poor residuals.
    I wouldn't call them poor residuals but it is incontrovertible that they do not retain value as well as Rolex.
    True of most brands other than Rolex or PP and something to bear in mind if one is prone to flip rather quickly.
    I do not for a moment believe that it should be a major consideration in the decision to buy but should help one buy more smartly.

I think the issue is the availability of discount. As we know discount on SS Rolex Sports models is almost impossible, but with some other brands including Blancpain you can find greys offering 15% or more discount, so buying new at a boutique is not a sensible option if you are worried about residuals. Once that is factored in the playing field becomes level. There are more Ceramic Daytonas for sale than there are FF at present.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Also to add, a lot of these comments about prices are most likely a year or two out of date. Everything has gone up in price, not just Rolex, which is the brand people have got their head around (talking secondary market), now we have to ack a brexit tide lifts all boats.

Master
    If purchased at the right price like this ? : https://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk/...FaK37QodguEHCw

I cannot see this going down in value over the long term.

A fantastic watch which will always be ultra-desirable for those not wanting the standard Rollie offerings.

Master
    Blog Entries
    OP: I don't think £6k is overpriced, though allow for servicing within a couple of years for a 2014 unless it's been hardly worn.

Residuals on JLC/Blancpain are pretty good I think simply because they're respected, yet not on everyone's radar and therefore the market is smaller, less competiton between sellers.

I've been hankering after a Bathyscaphe for a while and picking up one for under £6k is proving all but impossible, making a grey purchase better value (can get one for £6100 new). I'm resigned to it being a long wait until I can pick one up for my budget of ~£5k. Residuals are definitely not a problem with them.

Did Blowers pay more than £4,750 for that? Of course if it hits the mark and you love it then it's worth it. If you equivocate and just want to try it then steer away cos if you wear it and/or mark it value will drop. I do think it's a beautiful watch from a superb manufacturer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Ofcourse we have to take into account that typically on TZUK, the prices are even below what watchfinder typically offers. Not everyone but there are quite a few people on here that still probably look at a watch and have 2010 valuations as opposed to now 2017 where watch prices have gone up + GBP has depreciated.

I'd agree on second hand JLC prices increasing/not falling. I bought a 2008 Master Geographic about 4 years ago from a dealer, naively overpaid about 10% with hindsight but still a little less than the same model and year is priced on Chrono24 today.

OP, that really is a lovely watch.

Liked mine very much.

Bought s/h but still lost a bit when I moved it on.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I bought one from a independent dealer around mid £5,000's last year which was one of the best priced U.K. watches I had seen. Funnily it was previously owned by at least two other TZ'ers.

It was a lovely piece but despite it ticking an awful lot of boxes I moved it on within a few months to another TZ member.

Still not sure why but looking back through a number of threads many buyers don't seem to keep them long.

Maybe I missed the date? Maybe it was too nice for an everyday watch?

If you buy at less than £6,000 you'll be OK but you'll still lose a few hundred quid come trade time.

Master
    Blog Entries
    JLC make phenomenal watches. The Master Compressor 'sports' watches circa 2005 are well worth a look.
    Prices from this era have stabilised, and in my opinion nicer than the modern versions

[QUOTE=rossi46vr;4354122]As in another thread on here I to am getting a little bored of swapping and changing my watches to a point that I just want 2 decent watches to keep and wear for the rest of time !!!
    I am currently down to 2 watches, one is a brand new sub date (I currently have it listed in the sales section but will probably withdraw it by the weekend) and the other one is an old Russian watch of my late fathers which was tarted up by Ryte time and now sits in the drawer and will never ever be up for the chop.
    The second "decent" watch is a bit up in the air at the moment, I have a green 116610LV Sub which is sat in an AD waiting for me to collect if I want it, but I have my eye on something else less similar to the black sub I already have.
    For a couple of years I've fancied a Jaeger Deep Sea Chronograph, but have always been put off by rumours of high servicing cost and low residual values, but something keeps me looking at them. I have found a brand new one not to far from where I live, its a private sale but the watch is 2014, so no warranty at all. The seller is asking £6000 which I feel is a little bit steep, but then prices of everything seems to have gone a bit crazy lately !
    Does anyone have one of these ? is a brand new 2014 watch worth £6000 or is my gut feeling correct that it is overpriced ?