closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Barefoot running shoes recommendations?

Craftsman

Barefoot running shoes recommendations?

Hello,

I'd like to buy a pair of barefoot running shoes for my girlfriend.

Do you have any recommendations what models should I look for?

I heard that Nike is the best in the field.

Any experiences?
    Many thanks

There are lots of questions a decent running store assistant will ask.

Probably best if your girlfriend goes with you, has her gait assessed and then buys accordingly.

If she's a member of a running club, Runner's Need give a discount I think as well as price-match.

+1. I wouldn't dream of buying running shoes without having my gait analysed by a decent professional running shop. Personally I wouldn't run in barefoot shoes but some people swear by them. I just run in what suits me best and best suits my biomechanics, plus the type of run's I am doing whether it be OCR, trail, treadmill or road running.

Master
    Nike Free Runs gave two female friends of mine terrible calf/Achilles pain. They might be trendy, but they're not great for running. I have a pair for casual use, and I'm not even fussed on them for that. The toe box is way oversized for me, and my feet are pretty average width.

Adidas Boost are much better imo, but as already advised - go and get gait analysis and proper advice.

Journeyman
    If your girlfriend hasn't used barefoot running trainers before I would consider a transition period to allow time for training to develop her legs and adjust to the lack of support offered by traditional trainers. If she is an experienced runner then a definite try before you buy, these aren't for everyone.

Craftsman
    She has no experience with them, as a matter a fact she's not that big runner either. She is just a physiotherapist and the whole concept appeals to her, since it is something close to how we were designed to run.

I myself am more for a cushion and running in something with barely any sole is just too much of a shock for my feet and tend to hurt for days afterwards.

Journeyman
    I started with support / cushion trainers as recommended by various stores but seemed to be constantly picking up injuries. After some physio, a change in training regime ( more hills ) I now stick to lightweight trail trainers.
    Now less injury prone, think this is a combination of improved leg strength and a change in my running style ( less heel strike). I guess it's just trial and error to some extent before you find what's right for you.

I adopted my running style to a more forefoot prominent style (barefoot effectively) due to a long standing knee injury. Having tried a number of different "barefoot" style trainers ( including vivo and newton amongst others) I keep coming back to Nike frees. They offer a level of support and comfort that makes running when tired possible and productive.

Barefoot running is good but when you tire your form (can) suffer(s) and true (thin soled or specifically shaped) barefoot trainers can be difficult to continue using in the correct manner. Nike free offer a good compromise of flexibility and cut vs comfort.

Master
    I've been using a pair of merrells barefoot and I've been very pleased with them calves suffered for the first few times in barefoots though it needs to be a slow and steady transition

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post

Probably best if your girlfriend goes with you, has her gait assessed and then buys accordingly.
    Surely gait is irrelevant for barefoot shoes?

Blog Entries
    Personally really like the Nike free running range

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    This is just my opinion but some people are too far gone for barefoot. Changing their biomechanics will mean instant injury. Decent analysis should show up any weirdness.

You'd be surprised how many people just put them on and then get problems. That includes PTIs.

The problem with barefoot transition, is people don't follow the correct procedure. Put barefoot shoes on, try and run as you do now (distance and speed) and you'll get injured. Quickly, and most likely with a long recovery.

Gait analysis is only any use, if carried out by a barefoot trainer, you'll get completely conflicting advice from a normal running store.

The eric Orton book, cool impossible, has a very good training plan.

I definitely wouldn't go straight to barefoot, start with minimal (inov8 do a few different heel drops to help transition).

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Gait analysis is only any use, if carried out by a barefoot trainer, you'll get completely conflicting advice from a normal running store.
    Barefoot runners always seem to be evangelical about it. Until it goes pear-shaped for them.

Better to ensure she goes somewhere that can offer a balanced view and preferably speak with someone who can be honest about the problems she may face during transition. And from then on.

Get her gait assessed as she is - using her current shoes for wear reference - then provided all is well, take the plunge into the murky and let's face it disturbing world of barefoot running.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Barefoot runners always seem to be evangelical about it. Until it goes pear-shaped for them.

Better to ensure she goes somewhere that can offer a balanced view and preferably speak with someone who can be honest about the problems she may face during transition. And from then on.

Get her gait assessed as she is - using her current shoes for wear reference - then provided all is well, take the plunge into the murky and let's face it disturbing world of barefoot running.
    Evangelical? Not at all. But after knee surgery, I was advised running was pretty much off the menu (by a respected consultant). Went through the process of gait analysis (several times), multiple pairs of cushioned trainers, and ever increasing knee, hip, back pain.

Decided to try barefoot, and it's worked for me. Won't work for everyone, and it needs to be done correctly.

I'd avoid anyone that's evangelical. Or scaremongering.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Evangelical? Not at all. But after knee surgery, I was advised running was pretty much off the menu (by a respected consultant). Went through the process of gait analysis (several times), multiple pairs of cushioned trainers, and ever increasing knee, hip, back pain.

Decided to try barefoot, and it's worked for me. Won't work for everyone, and it needs to be done correctly.

I'd avoid anyone that's evangelical. Or scaremongering.

Sorry to hear you've been through pain.

Glad it's worked for you. It worked for me too a few years back. But I seem to be able to switch according to terrain. I just wouldn't recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If a person is running barefoot and naturally pronates or supinates they will carry on with this action which can lead to injuries, If a person has tendencies for their foot to roll inwards or outwards this can be corrected with a 'stability shoe'. A gait analysis is a must, especially if she is new to running.

I ran a relatively long section of road in my serious off road Inov-8's with no cushioning and gave myself terrible shin splints, previously they'd been fine for proper off road running and OCR events. It took me 9 months to recover from; almost required surgery (a fasciotomy) and cost me my first ever ballot place in the London Marathon.

I'd get that gait analysis if it were me.