closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Roller garage doors

Master

Roller garage doors

Hi All,

I need to replace my garage door and am going to go do an electric roller door. I have had a local company come over and the quote was around £2.5k for the full service with a Gliderol Roll-A-Glide door. I have had a look online and their are loads of companies doing these kinds of doors for a lot less (around £800 fitted) and claim to be as good as the major brands. I know in the end you get what you pay for but I have no experience of garage doors so was hoping someone can give me the benefit of their wisdom!

Cheers!

I had a £800 jobbie fitted a year or so ago. My first non-up and over so have nothing to compre it to, but it's been brilliant. Looks excellent and as good as when fitted, works a treat, has had a few things bashed into it and it's fine, the garage is noticeably better insulated. I don't really k ow what a more expensive one could do better.

Though mine is just satin black...I suppose I could see paying more for wood effect or something.

Not an expert but there are differences which aren't always apparent, so I was told. I had a roller door fitted a few years ago and went for an aluminium insulated type which did cost more.

I had an insulated aluminium roller shutter fitted to my garage by a local independent who makes them for other traders also.
    Cost for mine was circa £1100 but included a couple of mods at my request.
    I work in the garage a fair bit so upside-far less drafts-downside-far less light!
    It was colour matched to my composite front door in dark blue. Were it possible, I would try to get white inside, blue outside were I getting it done today.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    There are various types that tend to use the same type of barrel motors. The actual shutter is a 3rd of the cost on a roller shutter and opting for insulated panels/ribs could almost double the price for a single skin shutter.

Something to note, is If the motor fails, shutter binds or you lose power and you're unable to access the motor to free it, this could result in a few sections having to be cut to allow access internally.

You should consider how you want to operate it too (remote, key, keypad etc) providing you have power, otherwise its a simple lock and push/pull to operate it.

Shop around.

B

Couple of things to think about....
    Is your priority security or convenience?
    Fully or partially insulated and waterproof?
    Self coloured or painted?
    Ongoing maintenance - metal might need painting. Parts availability.
    If a roller, have you space for the rolled door (some roll internally others external)

My split panel one slides up and back and is parallel to ceiling when open

Personally I had a 5 panel one of these novaferm installed 8yrs ago and still working perfectly. Wouldn't be without it now.
    http://novoferm.co.uk/products/garage-doors/

Craftsman
    My dad had a double electric roller fitted about 6 years ago, it was from a commercial type company who often done garage doors for standard garages.
    He paid around £1200 which was cheap, few minor niggles but its still up and running with no real problems.

Only thing I would recommend is a good warranty as he has had to use his on 2 or 3 occasions.

Master
    We got one fitted by Oxley last year. ISTR c. £1200 with remote etc. I think it's c. 2.3m high by about 4m wide. I thought that was quite reasonable. I don't know your size but 2.5K sounds a rip off.

Master
    This is a bit of a minefield by the looks, £2.5k seems very high but I need a decent door that is secure and works to keep my car safe. There is such a difference in the various prices that it is really difficult to tell if it's worth spending the extra and really what you get........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    This is a bit of a minefield by the looks, £2.5k seems very high but I need a decent door that is secure and works to keep my car safe. There is such a difference in the various prices that it is really difficult to tell if it's worth spending the extra and really what you get........

We asked the neighbours and they'd all used the same company and all had very good things to say about them. Quick and clean installation. No swearing from the fitters and a quality job at the end. Are there no locals you can ask that have similar doors? My advice is local recommendation.

Considering your new car I believe no rolling door will keep it safe. Spend the extra on proper alarm system and camera network starting from a distance away. A few bear traps on top, for good measure.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Considering your new car I believe no rolling door will keep it safe. Spend the extra on proper alarm system and camera network starting from a distance away. A few bear traps on top, for good measure.

Thats what I was going to say, £1200-ish on a door then the rest on a good alarm and CCTV. Have you also considered some security posts? Might be a bit OTT but you can get more 'modern' looking ones now and they will act a a great deterrent for reasonable money (£200-300?).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bomberman View Post
    There are various types that tend to use the same type of barrel motors. The actual shutter is a 3rd of the cost on a roller shutter and opting for insulated panels/ribs could almost double the price for a single skin shutter.

Something to note, is If the motor fails, shutter binds or you lose power and you're unable to access the motor to free it, this could result in a few sections having to be cut to allow access internally.

You should consider how you want to operate it too (remote, key, keypad etc) providing you have power, otherwise its a simple lock and push/pull to operate it.

Shop around.

B

I can do mine manually from the inside with a attachment they gave me

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

Roller garage doors

Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    I can do mine manually from the inside with a attachment they gave me
    That's the point I was making as the motor is inside.

I've seen fitters having to cut the ribs just to get into the property to get to the motor or gearbox.

B

Master
    The ones I have been looking at have a keyhole that is hidden and you can put a special crank in them to wind it up if the power fails

Craftsman
    Hi,

I should mention first I sell/install roller doors for a living & would be more than happy for you (Or any other forum member) to PM me for my telephone number to give me a ring & pick my brains. This is not an attempt to sell you a door as I'm always busy & don't travel out of my area, I'd just love to be able to give something back to the forum as I don't usually have much to say & have been helped myself over the years.

A few quick answers:

1. You didn't mention size (Single or Double) but £2500 would be top money for a double door. Laminated (Not painted) Woodgrain finishes can add up to £40/m2 to cost over standard colours. A full cover box is quite often also an additional cost.
    2. All doors should have a manual override that is easily useable, if you don't have another access door to get in a low level external lockable override should be used.
    3. Some doors already have self contained alarms on them but if not you can add a contact to be used by your existing house alarm.
    4. Always research your proposed supplier & make use of any recommendations of local firms from anyone you know. There are a lot of cowboys in the market selling non-compliant doors who won't come back if you get a problem. (See BBC Watchdog program before Christmas if still on iPlayer).
    5. Thickness of the slats should be around 20mm (75mm high) for a roller, some companies are using compact slats which are much thinner & won't give the same insulation/security.
    6. For a normal height door the Head plates (Coil diameter) should be around 300mm with 95mm wide guides. Compacts are usually 205-230mm with 68mm guides.
    7. You can add vision slats to give light but they are small as the slats will only be 75mm high. These can be inline or brick bond pattern, expect to pay around £15-18 per linear meter.
    8. Make sure the door has a good safety edge to stop it when it hits an obstruction, a photocell is not sufficient or compliant with H & S regs.

Hope that helps & please don't hesitate if I can be of any further assistance.

Master
    Thanks for that!

Are there any manufacturers you would recommend? Everyone I speak to seems to have a different idea of what and who you should use. So far I have Trojan, Gilderol and Hormann and cant tell the difference between them!

Quote Originally Posted by wads View Post
    Hi,

I should mention first I sell/install roller doors for a living & would be more than happy for you (Or any other forum member) to PM me for my telephone number to give me a ring & pick my brains. This is not an attempt to sell you a door as I'm always busy & don't travel out of my area, I'd just love to be able to give something back to the forum as I don't usually have much to say & have been helped myself over the years.

A few quick answers:

1. You didn't mention size (Single or Double) but £2500 would be top money for a double door. Laminated (Not painted) Woodgrain finishes can add up to £40/m2 to cost over standard colours. A full cover box is quite often also an additional cost.
    2. All doors should have a manual override that is easily useable, if you don't have another access door to get in a low level external lockable override should be used.
    3. Some doors already have self contained alarms on them but if not you can add a contact to be used by your existing house alarm.
    4. Always research your proposed supplier & make use of any recommendations of local firms from anyone you know. There are a lot of cowboys in the market selling non-compliant doors who won't come back if you get a problem. (See BBC Watchdog program before Christmas if still on iPlayer).
    5. Thickness of the slats should be around 20mm (75mm high) for a roller, some companies are using compact slats which are much thinner & won't give the same insulation/security.
    6. For a normal height door the Head plates (Coil diameter) should be around 300mm with 95mm wide guides. Compacts are usually 205-230mm with 68mm guides.
    7. You can add vision slats to give light but they are small as the slats will only be 75mm high. These can be inline or brick bond pattern, expect to pay around £15-18 per linear meter.
    8. Make sure the door has a good safety edge to stop it when it hits an obstruction, a photocell is not sufficient or compliant with H & S regs.

Hope that helps & please don't hesitate if I can be of any further assistance.

Craftsman
    Thanks for that!

Are there any manufacturers you would recommend? Everyone I speak to seems to have a different idea of what and who you should use. So far I have Trojan, Gilderol and Hormann and cant tell the difference between them!
    Hormann are good quality but tend to be pricey. I'm not personally a fan of the springs down the side & outboard motor but a Hormann will give good service.

Gliderol can be hard to get parts for as a lot of their components are unique to them & definitely go for the 77mm slat rather than the 55mm or single skin.

Had a quick look at Trojan website, not much info on door but would spec. Somfy motor & control gear out of the choice given.

Somfy have given a 5 year warranty for about 15 years now. Their control gear is called Rollixo it should come with a good safety edge & self contained alarm.

Try to use a local company, I get a lot of remedial work from customers who have used national companies & can't get them back later when there is a problem. The money is in the initial sale not the repairs/servicing.

I chose Dura-Bilt Nylon Garage Door Roller like this https://mechanicguides.com/best-garage-door-rollers/ . After reading thru a few of the negative reviews, I decided to test each roller, made sure it spun smoothly and were no defects. All rollers spun, no issues. Family moved into the house back in 98'-99', and I don't believe the garage door rollers were ever replaced. Wouldn't surprise me if they were original. The old rollers were steel, VERY worn, bearings completly shot, and made a LOT of noise.

Before replacing the rollers, I made sure to head over to Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWMwVO6RheU (it was usefull video for me), and watch a few how-to-replace garage door rollers. I followed the directions given in the video, and replaced all 10 rollers with ease. Took me probably close to 20 min. The top rollers gave me a little trouble, having to be on a ladder and having to twist the rail to remove roller.

Once all new Nylon rollers were replaced, the difference in noise was amazing. It might not be as drastic for a lot of people, but the condition of the old steel rollers and how much noise they made, you could tell right away how quiet these Nylon rollers were.

Craftsman
    And I suspect the door will have remote operation so make sure you have enough remotes from day 1. We have one in each car, one wall mounted inside the house and a spare but that was not the case on day 1.....

Paid just over £1k a couple of years ago - remote operation, non-insulated with manual override, dark grey finish.

Other than a battery issue on the door, which I now know about, all has been good.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I'm nearly 15 years in on mine. I'd echo that Somfy motors are worth the extra, mine is still going strong.

I have had to have the control edge replaced as well as the control box but that's pretty good in that time.

Double check the type of remote they are proposing as a lot are really lightweight plastic and I wouldn't imagine them lasting more than about 1 battery change before they are in bits. Aim for something that is of a car remote type quality for longevity.

Craftsman
    Not a roller door question but looking for either side hinged or up and over with wicket door.

Garage used for storage rather than car, so main door will rarely be used. Need wicket door as home office located in separate room at rear of garage and it’s a pain opening the main door for access all the time.

Any thoughts on make? Local firm already told me over the phone it’s going to be around £2,800 installed which seems high since I can buy online for around £1,000.

Rollerdor Norwich was recommended to me, but I am yet to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    Not a roller door question but looking for either side hinged or up and over with wicket door.

Garage used for storage rather than car, so main door will rarely be used. Need wicket door as home office located in separate room at rear of garage and it’s a pain opening the main door for access all the time.

Any thoughts on make? Local firm already told me over the phone it’s going to be around £2,800 installed which seems high since I can buy online for around £1,000.
    Sent you a PM with someone local who I have just used (well, paid a deposit and waiting for install) - family business with the Mr doing the installs the Mrs doing the back office. Can already recommend due to competitive pricing and the fact he's visited 3 times already to address my questions in person, to ensure we are comfortable.
    Last edited by cman; 3rd December 2018 at 20:08.

Craftsman
    Thanks for PM. Will call them tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Bit of a thread resurrection here - but I need a new remote for my garage door.
    The old one works but looks to be on its last legs.

Looking at Amazon there are many options - some requiring programming from the panel.
    Do I need to do that ? Or could it just get one that ‘learns’ from the existing remote ?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

z

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Bit of a thread resurrection here - but I need a new remote for my garage door.
    The old one works but looks to be on its last legs.

Looking at Amazon there are many options - some requiring programming from the panel.
    Do I need to do that ? Or could it just get one that ‘learns’ from the existing remote ?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

z
    My novoferm remote was playing up, looked online for a genuine one and it was £40, got a compatible rolling code one off eBay for £10, pushed a few buttons on the door motor panel and it worked perfectly. Just put in search your remote model number.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fully insulated alarmed single garage roller shutter door cost me £1150 all in with a RAL choice of colour