closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How much will a 100 yard path cost me?...roughly.

Grand Master

How much will a 100 yard path cost me?...roughly.

I'm seeking advice because I 've absolutely no idea on this one!

I'm considering buying a house with a long strip of land leading to a disused gate. I estimate it to be 100 yards and sloping. It would be a big advantage to reinstate the gate and build a path for pedestrian access; ideally it would be paved and wide enough to walk in single file or push a pram up. The ground is currently grassed. How much would this cost roughly, based on labour rates in West Yorkshire? A very rough order of magnitude figure is what I'm seeking.

Paul

I was quoted £5000 for approximately 100m2 of groundworks to lay a patio so £50/m2. I was budgeting the same again for the finish but it could be done much cheaper.

I also laid a pathway myself with brick edging, membrane, slabs and gravel surround. It cost me less than a grand for approximately 50m.

So for yours I'd budget between £2,000 and £10,000 depending o. What you want.

Is der not a fella wit some tarmac left over from sum road works nearby?

You really have to consider the cost in watches, wouldn't you rather trudge through mud and grass while admiring your lovely new Rolex/Omega/Zenith, the longer it takes you to traverse the distance the more you can admire the watch!
    Seriously though I have no clue but it's going to be expensive :-(

Master
    Could there already be an existing path just under the surface?

Superglue paving slabs to the bottom of a pair of wellies, and simply wear those when traversing the garden. The luxurious feeling of a path underfoot at a fraction of the price.

possibly inspired by a Viz top tip...

Craftsman
    I have just had my driveway and front of house done using concrete imprint.
    Reputable company done it and the charge was £50 SQ/M if I remember correctly, not exactly what you were after but might be worth considering?

Journeyman
    I would budget £80 - £100 m2 for indian stone depending on level of prep needed. I would expect most worthy landscapers to be booked up at this time of year, choose the contractor carefully and not just the one who can do it the quickest. preferably go with good recommendation from a trusted friend or neighbour.

5 tonnes of gravel needed for 1m x 100m, 3.5cm deep

£156 per 850kg bag: https://www.cloburn.co.uk/domestic-p...riveway-gravel

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

Plus digging-out (mechanical or manual), waste removal/skip hire, edging, paving slabs/blocks, hardcore base, equipment hire and the inevitable "making good".

OR......... same preparation and 30-40 cubic metres of concrete at £70-80 per cubic metre - extra if you go for printed concrete finish to replicate blocks or paving.

THIS may be of some use (not sure how accurate it might be) >>>> http://householdquotes.co.uk/the-cost-block-paving/

http://www.compact-surfacing.co.uk/pic-prices.html
    Last edited by UKMike; 17th May 2017 at 20:31.

Grand Master
    Thanks for all the comments guys, some have been informative whilst others have made me smile.......all are appreciated one way or another!

Sounds like it could be between £5 and £10K, which is a lot. I guess I could do it myself a bit at a time and save some money.........Many years back I laid a driveway using paving slabs, but that was only around 30feet.

Buiding a path would improve pedestrian access significantly, it would save around 500 metres and avoid walking up a narrow pavement alongside a fairly narrow road .

Very undecided whether to go for the house, I'd need to dip deep into the piggy bank to buy it and the pedestrian access is an issue. We walk out a lot, we don't automatically use our cars for short local trips.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 17th May 2017 at 22:36.

You don't need a massive depth for pedestrian access. If it's semi-formal you can get away without edging for quite a few years, and after a few years I guarantee you won't notice or care. Dig out 80mm or so of turf/top soil with a 1.5 tonne mini digger, fill with about 50mm depth with base, planing, scalpings, whatever the local guys call it (or type 1 DTP), compacting it in layers with a whacker plate as you go, finish off with 25/30mm of self-binding path gravel and off you go for many years. Good enough for the Royal Parks and the National Trust, good enough for me.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    You don't need a massive depth for pedestrian access. If it's semi-formal you can get away without edging for quite a few years, and after a few years I guarantee you won't notice or care. Dig out 80mm or so of turf/top soil with a 1.5 tonne mini digger, fill with about 50mm depth with base, planing, scalpings, whatever the local guys call it (or type 1 DTP), compacting it in layers with a whacker plate as you go, finish off with 25/30mm of self-binding path gravel and off you go for many years. Good enough for the Royal Parks and the National Trust, good enough for me.
    Thanks, hadn't thought of doing this, but it makes a lot of sense. The aim is to provide something firm to walk on in wet weather, gravel would be a good non-slip choice too.

Paul

It's not loose aggregate, it's a 'ginger biscuit' coloured top that also gets compressed down with the whacker. It's a man-made sand/clay/aggregate mix that binds and sets quite hard when dry. Try "self binding gravel path" with google images.

One nice thing about this is you can easily do wavy lines whereas if you use slabs or paviors you tend to have to go straight.

How much will a 100 yard path cost me?...roughly.

You'll need the self binding gravel as any depth of normal gravel becomes difficult to walk on. I ended up putting small slabs down on/in the gravel so the wife could walk on it in heels. It would also be very difficult to push a pushchair on the loose gravel (or slabs as I did for that matter)!
    Last edited by Dave+63; 18th May 2017 at 06:58.

If you are going to do it yourself take a look on here, it is a great resource for all things paving on how to construct: -

http://www.pavingexpert.com/home.htm

You could always go down the path (ha!) of reinforcing the current grass with those plastic honeycomb panels.

For example, as supplied by http://gridforce.co.uk/
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Thanks, hadn't thought of doing this, but it makes a lot of sense. The aim is to provide something firm to walk on in wet weather, gravel would be a good non-slip choice too.

Paul
    If you are tackling it yourself have a look on A J McCormac / Paving Expert website.

I surfaced my 85m driveway using interlocking grids & gravel for a fraction of the price. Quotes ranged from £8,800 to £12,500 to remove 12 inch depth of soil, lay 8 inch of MOT/crush & run, lay 2 inch grit sand, lay 85m "gridforce", fill with golden gravel , team of 4 men for 5 days.

A little research, (2013 prices)
    mini digger & operator £190
    grab waggon removal £150
    re-route drains £36
    22 ton MOT £200
    whacker plate hire £85
    grit sand £88
    interlocking grid £760
    golden gravel £192
    3 metre low stone wall £90
    granite setts for edging and retention ramp £990
    Rompox mortar £236

Total £3017
    It took 10 days for me to complete, 10 hour days with wifey assisting 2hrs per day after her day job.

Looks great, & worth all the hard graft.

Grand Master
    Thanks guys, every day's a schoolday, the paving expert website is brilliant.

It seems strange to consider the feasibility of building a path as a key factor in whether to go for a house or not, but in this case it would make a big difference. I'm very keen to move away from living on an estate, I have to stay local, the property in question ticks a lot of boxes. It' s a one-off, a unique house with lots of land (albeit in a long thin strip) and consequently it's very difficult to put a value on it. I' d be offering way under asking price so the chances of buying are probably slim, but it's been for sale for approx 18 months at it's current price. The position is a big plus..........provided I could improve pedestrian access!

Paul

Master
    I knows a man wid a bit a tarmac left over from a council job (nod nod, wink wink!).

Master
    What about the plastic grids-just expanded my drive

For a path you could fill them slightly more- I've gone 20mm pea beach
    For pedestrians- the grids are 40mm that should be ok filled with aggregate
    They are 50cm square- you'd need 200 ish grids - about £400- 4 tonne of aggregate £200
    Last edited by lewie; 18th May 2017 at 17:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

One problem with that is that you've just created a 100m litterbox.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    You could always go down the path (ha!) of reinforcing the current grass with those plastic honeycomb panels.

For example, as supplied by http://gridforce.co.uk/
    I did a 'hidden' driveway using something similar.

It works well but in areas of regular use, the grid can start to show and actually become quite slippery. As the OP mention that it was on a hill and for pram use, it is one thing to consider.
    Last edited by AM94; 18th May 2017 at 17:43.

Pushing prams over shingle/gravel for 100m would be quite an effort I would have thought.

Over here one of the local places has put down a plastic matting over grass, the matting is done as hexagons each one approx 3cm across in sheets around 2m wide and however long they need to be for cars to park on. The grass grows through the matting but you park/walk on the plastic. It's green and blends in quite well and is easy to walk on and I guess you just lay it down and let the grass grow through it so easy to install.

Something like this http://www.grassform.co.uk/buy/light-duty-mesh/ but heavier duty.