closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Conveyancing Question

Conveyancing Question

In the process of buying a house in England and my conveyancing solicitor has included a form for me to sign giving them power of attorney for the land registration. I'll obviously query with the solicitor why they think this is necessary but thought I'd ask the experts here whether this is a new thing or a bit odd. I am local and able to sign documents so not sure why this would be needed?

What's the problem don't you trust them?

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    I wouldn't, I know two people who recently completed, both had huge issues with fixtures and fittings, both got identical responses from the conveyancing solicitors "you can sue if you want to" I'm not exactly sure what you pay them for.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Problem is I don't know why they require 'power of attorney' when I am able to sign docs etc. As mentioned I'm querying with them, but just wondered if this was now standard.

Ok no worries, it wasn't intended as a hostile question just curious. I've asked a relative who does this stuff for an opinion for you.

Craftsman
    So far as I know It's done to speed things up, but if you're always on hand to speak to and sign stuff then you probably don't require it. They probably charge you more for the service too.
    It is unlawful for your power of attorney to do an act to your detriment so I wouldn't worry too much.

Usual for developers with, potentially, lots to sign, but not usual for a simple, single purchase especially as you are on hand to sign anyway. Good question. Your call now!

Craftsman
    Powers of attorney are pretty rare in my opinion except as mentioned above where the sale is made by a big developer, in which case it's pretty common. Fair enough for those working abroad, or travelling but for most conveyancing it's unusual.

Craftsman
    Not sure why they would want a POA apparently limited to land registration which would normally be done electronically by them as the conveyancer for the purchaser/applicant.