closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Carpet cleaner recommendations please

Carpet cleaner recommendations please

Our Numatic George died today so I'm looking for a replacement.

It's for light, very occasional domestic use. The odd emergency and maybe a smallish room every three months.

Do I need to spend more than this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vax-VRS5W-R.../dp/B005PLFHDY

Master
    I've got the same model Vax & consider it excellent value @ £50 from TOFS. It's a sturdy machine & does a good job - I use it with 'No Nonsense' carpet detergent from Screwfix.
    Ideal for whole rooms but I wouldn't bother getting it out for an emergency spill, quicker & easier by hand.

I have a very similar Vax and it works fine but is a PITA to clean once used - cleaning the machine can take as long as cleaning the carpet.

I often wonder whether a wet & dry vac and a bucket would be easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I had the Vax and found it adequate but very noisy to the point that I needed earplugs. Difficult to clean as before and loses performance unless you clean it half way through your session.
    I upgraded to a Bissell 44L6E powerbrush direct from Bissell. OK it's 3 times the price but more than 3 times worth it. Quiet, very easy to use and clean, doesn't clog up easily. Has a revolving brush bar and handheld attachment for stairs, hard to reach areas and cars.
    In summary, if you have a small carpet consider the Vax. If you have a larger area to clean or more than one room have a serious look at Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
    I had the Vax and found it adequate but very noisy to the point that I needed earplugs. Difficult to clean as before and loses performance unless you clean it half way through your session.
    I upgraded to a Bissell 44L6E powerbrush direct from Bissell. OK it's 3 times the price but more than 3 times worth it. Quiet, very easy to use and clean, doesn't clog up easily. Has a revolving brush bar and handheld attachment for stairs, hard to reach areas and cars.
    In summary, if you have a small carpet consider the Vax. If you have a larger area to clean or more than one room have a serious look at Bissell.
    Thanks. I'm keen to avoid your experience of buying twice because the cheaper one was found to be inadequate. It seems a bit daft getting one that doesn't do stairs, too.

Master
    We bought a refurbished Bissel a number of years ago- it's been brilliant and regularly get a call from a friend or mate with a carpet emergency
    https://www.bisselldirect.co.uk/reco...arpet-cleaners

Quote Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
    Re Vax - I have this experience too!

Thanks for everyone's input.

I have a Bissell 44L6E arriving tomorrow.

Master
    I bought one of these which has worked well https://www.bisselldirect.co.uk/biss...carpet-cleaner

They have an active code Extra20 for a further 20% off too so for £160 you get a machine that looks like new

For anyone who's looking for a spot/small patch cleaner then this one is brilliant. I got one, as soon as my sister saw what it did she got one, then her friends, and the school she works at (well, the cleaners anyway). I didn't get any commission. :(
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bissell-369...r+little+green

if the new VAX carpet-cleaners are anything like their pressure-washers........ avoid. They are cheap cr4p.

Whatever unit you use - I would recommend an additional rinse in the process. Most units leave soap after the first rinse, which guarantees that your carpet gets dirty, sooner.

Craftsman
    Just bought a Bissell after reading this thread. There are some offers on their site at the moment and it worked out almost as cheap to buy one as it is to get someone round to do it.

Just got to find a space to store it alongside my Vax hard floor washer/cleaner, the Karcher steam cleaner, the Karcher pressure washer and handiest of all devices you never thought you'd need, a Karcher window vac!

I don't rate any of the VAX products we've had. I've always hired Rug Doctors for carpet cleaning. The consumer version seems to be well reviewed.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8141...oaAjBQEALw_wcB

Call professionals?

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Another recommendation for Bissell. I have a basic one and it's been great for cleaning carpets especially when you have pets about the house.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Call professionals?

Actually spat tea

I have the Rug Doctor spot cleaner machine and it is brilliant.

I wouldn't have managed through my dogs first year without it!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had a Vax Hoover once. Never again.

Apprentice
    I have experience with a handheld Bissell and it worked flawlessly for me, I bought it after reading the complete details from this list of the Quietest Shop Vac.
    Last edited by Samanthap.; 8th June 2021 at 21:19.

Craftsman
    Morrison's stores rent RugDoctor's for about £20 odd for 24 hours. I've been meaning to get one to do a couple of patches.

We have a wizzy-do, all singing/dancing Vax, which does everything. Badly.

As others have already said, it is deafeningly loud to use, over complicated, hard to clean, tries to be a jack of all trades (carpets, upholstery, curtains etc), but is master of none of these. I insisted that my wife uses ear defenders when using it now.
    On the other hand, my mother has a Bissell, which I have no direct experience of, but she absolutely loves it.

We just hire the professional carpet cleaners in now, as their kit is so much more powerful than the domestic stuff and we have 3 big hairy dogs, so the carpets need a DEEP clean to get them clean again. We just don't have the time to do them ourselves nowadays.