closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do with a student loan?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    If you can't see why profiting from a small group of hobbyists who post together on a forum is different from taking a government loan that will be paid back as agreed with interest then I don't really know what to say.
    If you think that forum watch hobbyists are the demographic involved with buying "hot" watches at thousands over list and feeding the supply and demand to resellers then no, you don't.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Do you have any issue with the older generation who were subsidised by the tax payer and never had to pay a single penny back?
    Mate, I left school at 16 and held down a full-time job whilst studying part time to eventually wind up with a chemistry degree. I watched a lot of my old school mates go to University and enjoy the experience whilst I worked my balls off........I had the last laugh because I ended up with the education and the job, plus a decent income whilst they were doing the student thing. OK, I had to use my meagre annual leave from work to study for exams, that was hard but I was young at the time so I just got on with it.

At the age of 17 I worked full-time, studied part-time AND had a bar job at nights to pay for my first car......no student loans, government hand-outs or wealthy parents for me, I earned and paid tax from day 1.

Don't try putting me into a pigeon hole that I don't fit in, from the age of 16 I worked for everything I eventually got, I never had to rely on the Government to subsidise me at any stage.

If people take student loans through necessity that's understandable, but taking the loan to invest when you don't need it is out of order in my view, that's taking the piss out of the taxpayer.

Paul

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 11th September 2017 at 23:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Analogue View Post
    -Ally-, what fees have you had to pay for tuition during your university studies in Scotland? Is it the case the Scottish students in Scottish universities are exempt from tuition fees?

If you do keep it for a while, I suggest you do not put it into "managed" funds - compare the figures (after fees!) of those with simple index trackers (after fees!) over a reasonable time period, e.g. five to 10 years.

Like I said in my last response to one of your posts, good luck in your finals.
    - No fees, but I would argue that I already covered the cost as a higher rate tax payer prior to university.

- Thanks for this suggestion, I'm looking into these things. As others have said the money is mine not the governments and I have every intention of making it work for me.

- Thanks, they are all done and I've found work already.

From your recent posts, you say you have a house, a new car, a collection of luxury watches, your choice of jobs, and above average earning potential.

In that context, the low risk return on £20K in relation to what you already have and will have isn't going to be that great.

I'd just pay it back and avoid the hassle around risking the capital or making repayments for years to come.

If you are really determined to make the most of your opportunities then the best thing to do IMO would be to buy a bigger house in a nicer area.

Hey Sammy, how's the post count doing?

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Mate, I left school at 16 and held down a full-time job whilst studying part time to eventually wind up with a chemistry degree. I watched a lot of my old school mates go to University and enjoy the experience whilst I worked my balls off........I had the last laugh because I ended up with the education and the job, plus a decent income whilst they were doing the student thing. OK, I had to use my meagre annual leave from work to study for exams, that was hard but I was young at the time so I just got on with it.

At the age of 17 I worked full-time, studied part-time AND had a bar job at nights to pay for my first car......no student loans, government hand-outs or wealthy parents for me, I earned and paid tax from day 1.

Don't try putting me into a pigeon hole that I don't fit in, from the age of 16 I worked for everything I eventually got, I never had to rely on the Government to subsidise me at any stage.

If people take student loans through necessity that's understandable, but taking the loan to invest when you don't need it is out of order in my view, that's taking the piss out of the taxpayer.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Hey Sammy, how's the post count doing?
    The thread resurrection is bad enough, but writing a completely inaccurate comment on top doesn't bode well for the description of his future sale.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    What ever happened to Ally?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    What ever happened to Ally?

He bowed out after profiteering strongly on a watch and getting caught out about it.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    He bowed out after profiteering strongly on a watch and getting caught out about it.
    Defense was the deal was done on Instagram and didn't involve the forum although he and the buyer were both membrrs here. He then came back as Benji053 and was outed but continued but has been a bit quiet recently/offline since Christmas.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 6th March 2020 at 00:20.

What to do with a student loan?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    And then came back under a different ID and sloped off again. Still active elsewhere.

Ooops, already covered so much more professionally above ...