closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wallet suggestions for a large amount of cash

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just use credit cards. Why take the risk.

Hotel safes are not safe. Everyone knows they're in the wardrobe and more often than not they're just fixed to the back of it and not the wall. Last holiday I took it wasnt fixed at all so I took it down to reception and asked if they had some better fixings!

Craftsman
    What a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    My brother for a holiday years ago, got my grandma to sew a pocket inside his jeans, with a zipper. He was backpacking with cash and thought it was very useful. Something like this:

Master
    Well after all the good suggestions and the worrying story of Ryan's predicament over on SC, the wife just suggested to me 'why don't we transfer it to my Thai account?'
    FFS, why didn't she just mention she had a Thai bank account in the first place.

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Grand Master
    I usually take cash on holiday, but not that much! I find walking trousers with zipped pockets down the legs ( cargos) the best thing to wear, ideal for putting envelopes with cash in. I always carry a wallet and put some in there too. I like zipped pockets for travelling, always feel safer. I wear the ones with zip-off legs, ideal if going from a cold place to warm ( or vice versa) provided you don’t lose the legs!

When I used to trawl around the antiques fairs I wore a denim shirt with snap pockets, ideal for putting extra cash in.......I used to call it my dealing shirt.

4.5K in £50 notes isn’t such a big wad, only 90 notes so its not huge. Well worth splitting into 2 or 3 lots though.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Just use credit cards. Why take the risk.
    What happens if the card is declined?.....I don’t trust the damned things and that’s why I never rely on them totally.

I’d just use a Monzo card with your hotel paid by that too
    No fees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyRoses View Post
    I thought most of us did that day to day, just for fun?
    Popular hobby among the grey trackie brigade, according to the Police Interceptors series.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    What happens if the card is declined?.....I don’t trust the damned things and that’s why I never rely on them totally.
    If the card's declined, I guess you go to a cashpoint and get cash. My cards have never been declined, and I haven't carried anything more than small change for years. Carrying £thousands in cash is madness.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    That’s the best reply,no ones going to Nick your bag for Lidl groceries

Master
    I'm struggling to understand why you wouldn't use a Revolut card in this situation? I don't think you will find more competitive exchange rates.

There must be someone on the forum who is considerably richer than us, who could advise on this.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Holsterman View Post
    If the card's declined, I guess you go to a cashpoint and get cash. My cards have never been declined, and I haven't carried anything more than small change for years. Carrying £thousands in cash is madness.
    I`ve had cards declined in the UK for no good reason, in one case I never did establish why. it can happen and if you're overseas without cash you're in trouble! Very unwise to reply solely on cards, lots of young folks seem to do it these days but it doesn1`t make it a wise move.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`ve had cards declined in the UK for no good reason, in one case I never did establish why. it can happen and if you're overseas without cash you're in trouble! Very unwise to reply solely on cards, lots of young folks seem to do it these days but it doesn1`t make it a wise move.
    Tesco’s stopped mine Once when I bought a toothbrush they said it was an unusual shopping pattern.

Because thieves often buy £2 toothbrushes rather than electrical goods to sell on.

No help I'm afraid, but hope you have a great time

Quote Originally Posted by nick wood View Post
    No help I'm afraid, but hope you have had a great time
    The OP was going away 'next weekend' two and a half years ago!

Just make a roll of notes you could choke a horse with, and keep it in your pocket.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Just make a roll of notes you could choke a horse with, and keep it in your pocket.
    I saw someone pull 2 rolls like that out of his pocket on Saturday night I don’t think I was supposed to see.
    The look he gave me,I quickly averted my eyes and thought drug dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    I'm struggling to understand why you wouldn't use a Revolut card in this situation? I don't think you will find more competitive exchange rates.
    This - Revolut is a fantastic card.

Also, a lot of places won't accept £50 notes so you may have a issue changing them.

Take £50 notes, fresh from the bank, iron them, sort into piles of £1,000 and seal in a food vacuum-bagger.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Hotel safes are not safe. Everyone knows they're in the wardrobe and more often than not they're just fixed to the back of it and not the wall. Last holiday I took it wasnt fixed at all so I took it down to reception and asked if they had some better fixings!
    I had something similar in a "business class" hotel in the UK.

When I removed the (combination) safe, there was a sticker on the back with the override code for that range of safes! I checked it and it worked, so the hotel obviously hadn't changed it from the default.

My email to the hotel manager resulted in very swift action!

(I don't normally carry a lot of cash on holiday, but I do bring a PacSafe "portable safe" with me. I also have some of their bags. https://www.pacsafe.com/ Also, as has been mentioned, some Rohan trousers have "secret" zippered pockets designed for passports or cash).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Tesco’s stopped mine Once when I bought a toothbrush they said it was an unusual shopping pattern.

Because thieves often buy £2 toothbrushes rather than electrical goods to sell on.
    A card payment for a £2 toothbrush! Are we heading for a cashless society?

Use a briefcase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    A card payment for a £2 toothbrush! Are we heading for a cashless society?
    Yes we are and rightly so.