closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wallet suggestions for a large amount of cash

Master

Wallet suggestions for a large amount of cash

Off on holiday next weekend and I will be taking approx 4.5K in £50 notes with me because the exchange rate is much better where I'm going.
    I haven't used a wallet for years, but the thought of that much cash loose in my jeans sends shivers down my spine.
    So I'm after suggestions for something that will hold that many notes. I accept it may have to go in my backpack because it may not fit in my pocket.

Cheers,

Ivor.

Blog Entries
    Just stick it in an envelope in a pocket in your bag.

Master

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Take me with you and I'll carry it for you....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    That much cash is going to need something bigger than a wallet, may I suggest.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    That much cash is going to need something bigger than a wallet, may I suggest.....

Haha, yeah that ought to do it.

Master
    Can't help but with that amount of cash I'd certainly break it up and carry on different parts of you/your rucksack.

Blog Entries
    My brother for a holiday years ago, got my grandma to sew a pocket inside his jeans, with a zipper. He was backpacking with cash and thought it was very useful. Something like this:

I've always found that the bank exchange rate is better than anything local to the destination. I therefore just carry a card and get money out from a machine when I arrive (using a zero fees card like mondo or Halifax)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    Is the exchange rate that much better than the risk of loss or theft?
    I hate the faff of travellers cheques so even if I took those I would probably end up changing them all in one go, so I'd be in the same boat.
    I'm not really worried about security issues whilst these because I have stayed at the hotel a few times before and the in room safes seem pretty good.
    Besides which, we are a family of 4 so the money will disappear pretty quickly anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Can't help but with that amount of cash I'd certainly break it up and carry on different parts of you/your rucksack.
    That's actually a pretty good idea. I'll probably give the wife half to look after too.

Is it somewhere warm?

Quote Originally Posted by alun View Post
    I've always found that the bank exchange rate is better than anything local to the destination. I therefore just carry a card and get money out from a machine when I arrive (using a zero fees card like mondo or Halifax)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This

£4.5k spending money for a holiday?? Lordy

Or if you really need to carry around with you, spread it about as suggested, including a body wallet thingy
    http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/11...aist-dofe.html

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    That's actually a pretty good idea. I'll probably give the wife half to look after too.
    Goodness sake you're brave.

Master
    You wont get a wallet to close round that wedge, i use a leather bag, similar to an envelope,my solicitor mate gave me it years ago.

Can't imagine needing to carry that much cash around on me for a holiday, the risk of losing balanced against ATM charges would be worth the the extra cost, even if they hit you for £100 £200 in charges over the holiday better than losing it all on a drunk night out.

Muggers will probably spend it slower...
    That reminds me of the joke about the wife's credit card being stolen and not cancelling it...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    This

£4.5k spending money for a holiday?? Lordy

Or if you really need to carry around with you, spread it about as suggested, including a body wallet thingy
    http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/11...aist-dofe.html
    £1200 of it is for the hotel when we arrive, leaving £3300. Wife and two kids on a 3 week holiday, it works out to about £160 a day which isn't that much for the four of us. I think I'll still have to be careful with my budget.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    Can't imagine needing to carry that much cash around on me for a holiday, the risk of losing balanced against ATM charges would be worth the the extra cost, even if they hit you for £100 £200 in charges over the holiday better than losing it all on a drunk night out.
    I'll only be carrying that amount for the trip out. Once there the money will be in a safe and I'll take it out on a daily basis.

Master
    Muggers will probably spend it slower...
    Haha, my wife is actually better with money than me. Helps that she's Thai and knows the value of money.

Can't you pay the hotel from here, saves having to carry that extra amount?

My wife is the same, when ever we go on holiday she always insists on a wadge of 50 notes. I go to India every year but a a few years ago when we went, I had already transferred around £10k to a local account available as local currency over there but the wife still insisted on taking an extra £2k in cash which turned into £3k a few days before we flew out, the extra £1k was just, just in case? I've given up in even attempting to argue with her about it these days.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Can't you pay the hotel from here, saves having to carry that extra amount?

My wife is the same, when ever we go on holiday she always insists on a wadge of 50 notes. I go to India every year but a a few years ago when we went, I had already transferred around £10k to a local account available as local currency over there but the wife still insisted on taking an extra £2k in cash which turned into £3k a few days before we flew out, the extra £1k was just, just in case? I've given up in even attempting to argue with her about it these days.
    The hotel does this weird offer thing. Pay for a members card (on arrival) for about £10 and then you get discounted rates on the room.
    So if I want the discounted rates, I have to wait until I get there to get the members card and then pay.
    Weird I know.

The hotel does this weird offer thing. Pay for a members card (on arrival) for about £10 and then you get discounted rates on the room.
    So if I want the discounted rates, I have to wait until I get there to get the members card and then pay.
    Weird I know.
    T'internet bank transfer while you're there, or just pay them by card?

Just get a discreet travel bum bag, the kind of ones that go under your shirt.

Craftsman
    I'd deff have it sewn under the skin on my back to stop customs seizing it.

. Just in case you have man tits

Master
    Rohan bags (trousers with plenty zipped pockets).

Master

Wallet suggestions for a large amount of cash

Quote Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
    . Just in case you have man tits
    Pmsl. Not far off needing one of those.

If you really must then a couple of tips.

Firstly you can get 100 Euro and even 500 euro banknotes which obviously take less space. Restaurants bars and shops tend to be fairly reluctant to accept the €500 ones but if you really must pay the hotel in cash that might be an option for their bill.

Secondly split the cash and invest £15 or £20 in a "Go" money belt which looks just like an ordinary webbing type belt with leather ends but has a zipped compartment that will hold a few hundred euros.

You could also look for the smallest size of Otterbox or Peli rigid waterproof box (they even make a rigid wallet) which you can wear under clothing inconspicuously on a neck lanyard.

Master
    Surprised no one has suggested a "Christopher Walken" yet.... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    My brother for a holiday years ago, got my grandma to sew a pocket inside his jeans, with a zipper. He was backpacking with cash and thought it was very useful. Something like this:

Like that good idea

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I thought most of us did that day to day, just for fun?

I'll only be carrying that amount for the trip out. Once there the money will be in a safe and I'll take it out on a daily basis.
    Again, depending on the hotel, I think I would be more inclined to pay the fees than leave 3k in a hotel safe.

Weird I know.
    Does the hotel still insist on cash or could you BT it when you have the members card ?

The €500 is being discontinued. You can't get it at any banks in Europe.

Total PITA but there you go
    And if you have one nobody will accept them. In the Netherlands EUR 100 is already very rare to find in the wild

I'd be super wary of that much cash in a hotel safe. They are far from secure and will have a default pin code to let staff in should you forget the pin you have put in. I would imagine in most places this is known by the vast majority of staff.

I dont know where you are going but have you thought about a Halifax Clarity card? No overseas charges although I admit I dont know how competitive the exchange rate is. It's all I use now as it much easier and less risky than cash.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Does the hotel still insist on cash or could you BT it when you have the members card ?
    Not sure to be honest, good suggestion though. I will drop them an email to find out.

Pay your hotel bill upon arrival so you have less cash to look after. The rest split up as much as possible (but remembering where it has been hidden). Hide money in normal items such as inside a tissue box from home within your luggage. I have never used a hotel safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4346560

If you are travelling to a country where Azimo support local cash collections then it is a good option, usually very competitive rates and low charges.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That's too much cash for your pocket. I never use a wallet and as I buy and sell cars, I normally have a bit of a float on the hip, (so to speak). As I am not a drug dealer, I prefer £20 notes. Anything above about £1300 and even just folded in the pocket, it becomes a bit bulky. £4500 in £50's is 90 notes. In my poorer pocket of twenties, that's £1800. Too much. You'll either look like you've got a really oddly shaped erection of you'll be surrounded by local muggers on your arrival.

Journeyman
    And on next week's problems...."can anyone suggest new pants, my d**k's too big!" ;-)

Ha Ha, i love this place, you'll never get anywhere else that a member will go out and buy special wallet just to carry his money from home to hotel, then use his normal wallet day to day.

will we see an advert in SC "For sale very large wallet, used once" ?

Do what the Russians used to do in Sri Lanka 20 years ago - they all carried Dubai duty free carrier bags full up with Dollars.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Do what the Russians used to do in Sri Lanka 20 years ago - they all carried Dubai duty free carrier bags full up with Dollars.
    Sorry for going off on a tangent but please tell me more - Russians/Sri Lanka/20 years ago? I'm trying to recall the circumstances that would have made that stand out?

Like others have said, spread it around a bit.

Someone I know carries a small amount of cash and a defunct credit card in his bag. If he were to be mugged, they wouldn’t get much. He keeps the valuables hidden away.

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 11th September 2017 at 23:52.

It doesn't answer your question but I'm wondering where you can be going that has a local cash rate for sterling so much better than a zero-fee card, prepaid travel card or Azimo/WeSwap type transfer to make the risk of carrying and storing that amount of cash worthwhile. I've been to well over 100 countries and can only think of a handful that might fit the bill (mainly due to lack of ATMs and acceptance of cards), they are not typical tourist destinations and it would generally need to be USD in cash, not GBP. There are also some with an illegal black market currency rate but you should steer well clear for obvious reasons.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Would NEVER trust an in room hotel safe, just stick stuff in the bottom of the tissue box , the ifs don't generally look there.

mike

Would something like this make sense for a portion of it?

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-money/card

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app