closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SD43 vs SD4K

Master

SD43 vs SD4K

It's quite a size difference! It doesn't wear as big as I had feared though. On the basis of what I tried on, I liked it a lot.

Master
    enough to sell the SD4000? ;)

Im loving my SD4k more and more each day.

Apprentice
    Awesome. If I were you, I would certainly hang on to the SD4K.

My dad should be picking up the SD43 today. May see if I can get the 16600, 116600, 116660 and 126600 all in a row...

Journeyman
    Really loving the sea dweller 16600 lately . So much so I think it could be the next purchase .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    enough to sell the SD4000? ;)
    Nope. Plan to have both!

Master
    I think it is unwise to comment until you have seen both watches side by side.

You cannot trust photographs as they are very deceptive when weighing something up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YtseThunder View Post

My dad should be picking up the SD43 today. May see if I can get the 16600, 116600, 116660 and 126600 all in a row...
    That would be an excellent picture! Welcome to the forum.

Martyn

Banned
    It does look big from the pictures, it a watch that needs to be tried on before judging size

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

You cannot trust photographs as they are very deceptive when weighing something up.
    Did you read the OP or just the read title and look at the picture?
    Last edited by hafle; 10th May 2017 at 19:37.

Great comparison pic. For me the perfect SD 2017/50th anniversary update would've been:

-42mm case
    -20mm lug width
    -Slightly recessed SELs
    -Red 'Sea-Dweller'
    -60 minute bezel graduation
    -Semi-matte dial
    -DSSD Glidelock

So basically a slightly bigger 116600 with red on it. I find the addition of a cyclops with the new release blurs the boundaries between the Sub and SD range. Makes me wonder how many owners will try swapping out the crystals or just remove the cyclops outright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    I think a 116600 with just Red to mark the 50th would have sent most Rolex (and Sea Dweller) fans on here into a frenzy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

Hi Mick,

The Rolex demo SD43 on the left, my SD4k on the right. The photo is deceptive I agree. They at slightly different heights. What I would say is the SD43 looks bigger than it wears, and the SD4k the opposite!

Chalet

In the comparison pic it looks like the sd43 is sitting on top of the hang tag which may make it look larger than it is

Master

*NB not sized to my wrist

Blog Entries
    I am warming more by the day to the new kid on the block so much so the SD4000 is losing it for me and returning back to what my first thoughts were of the watch before it was discontinued and all the hype.

I think the SD4000 will continue to be talked and hyped up those wanting to see values leap even higher than ever for this overly marketed, publicized, driven merchandised brand.

I'll get my coat.

Pitch

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I am warming more by the day to the new kid on the block so much so the SD4000 is losing it for me and returning back to what my first thoughts were of the watch before it was discontinued and all the hype.

I think the SD4000 will continue to be talked and hyped up those wanting to see values leap even higher than ever for this overly marketed, publicized, driven merchandised brand.

I'll get my coat.

Pitch
    You know what - I think I agree with you entirely

Master

I'll get my coat.

Pitch
    Completely agree.

Now for clarity my daily wearer is a DSSD and I have a 16660 which I occasionally wear. Each of them feel "right" when i wear them even though there are obvious size differences.

I had the opportunity to try a SD43 last week and at the same time an SD4000 as the guy in the AD was wearing his.

For me the SD43 is perfect size in terms of diameter but with the added bonus of not being as tall as the DSSD. The SD4000 in comparison felt smaller that my 16660 by way too tall in relation to its diameter. Just didn't get it at all, maybe it needs time spent with it but normally i find the first impression is what counts with me.

So my preference in order would be SD43 : DSSD : 16660 / 16600 : SD4000. The new kid on the block I like, a lot, if only it had the sapphire from the DSSD!

Master
    I like the 4000 because of the slimmer lugs than the ceramic sub. It just seem a nicer watch, especially minus the cyclops. But the features are for dreamers , not real divers. The 43mm is just about shouting 'Rolex', the size is surely intended to demonstrate it is more expensive. Not a pleasing development , but Rolex want to sell more watches, and they will.
    So, I prefer the 4000, but a non ceramic Submariner looks better than both to me.
    Last edited by paskinner; 10th May 2017 at 22:34.

I have never had a Rolex that even spoke in whispers, let alone shout!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I like the 4000 because of the slimmer lugs than the ceramic sub. It just seem a nicer watch, especially minus the cyclops. But the features are for dreamers , not real divers. The 43mm is just about shouting 'Rolex', the size is surely intended to demonstrate it is more expensive. Not a pleasing development , but Rolex want to sell more watches, and they will.
    So, I prefer the 4000, but a non ceramic Submariner looks better than both to me.
    Do you feel the DSSD is just about shouting 'Rolex'?? It is a tad bigger than the SD50 so a few decibels louder one would think.

Pitch

Do you feel the DSSD is just about shouting 'Rolex'?? It is a tad bigger than the SD50 so a few decibels louder one would think.

Pitch
    It is deafening:-)
    Such a silly expression- shouting Rolex!

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Haha Rajen!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    It's quite a size difference! It doesn't wear as big as I had feared though. On the basis of what I tried on, I liked it a lot.

great pic and comparisson. I really like the new 43mm seadweller IMO it would be my preferred choice.

The 40mm SD looks so much better on your wrist, the new version overhangs your wrist badly.

*NB not sized to my wrist

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pjsayer View Post
    Great comparison pic. For me the perfect SD 2017/50th anniversary update would've been:

-42mm case
    -20mm lug width
    -Slightly recessed SELs
    -Red 'Sea-Dweller'
    -60 minute bezel graduation
    -Semi-matte dial
    -DSSD Glidelock

So basically a slightly bigger 116600 with red on it. I find the addition of a cyclops with the new release blurs the boundaries between the Sub and SD range. Makes me wonder how many owners will try swapping out the crystals or just remove the cyclops outright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    The Pelagos LHD (red text, no Cyclops, 42mm, brilliant clasp) ticks a lot of those boxes.. SD43 is very very close though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    I think a 116600 with just Red to mark the 50th would have sent most Rolex (and Sea Dweller) fans on here into a frenzy.

This.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    The 40mm SD looks so much better on your wrist, the new version overhangs your wrist badly.
    It makes a big difference with the bracelet under tension. I couldn't achieve that whilst dangling an iPhone but as the SD43 sits high it wasn't as bad as I thought.

It is borderline on my 6.5" wrist though.

Quote Originally Posted by YtseThunder View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    That would be an excellent picture! Welcome to the forum.

Martyn
    perhaps the photo might look like the first photo in this post made on the 1st May
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4335086

This post also shows wrist shots of them all and on my wrist there is virtually no difference between the SD43(116660) and the SD4K (116600) I have a 7.25 wrist which is flat.
    I think if you have a sub 7" wrist then you might have issues depending on your wrist shape.
    Last edited by chris56; 11th May 2017 at 08:24.

Banned
    SD 4000 all day , cyclops ruins it for me . The date no cyclops is what separated the sd to the sub

Seikoboy

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    perhaps the photo might look like the first photo in this post made on the 1st May
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4335086

This post also shows wrist shots of them all and on my wrist there is virtually no difference between the SD43(116660) and the SD4K (116600) I have a 7.25 wrist which is flat.
    I think if you have a sub 7" wrist then you might have issues depending on your wrist shape.
    Great pics. I actually really like the SD43 and its size.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    You're not buying the right rolexes then. Some are positively deafening - and bought because of it.
    Much of the success of the brand involves shouting "I've arrived! I've made it!".
    Before the confederacy gets together to flame me, please take into consideration that rolex themselves have had advertising campaigns to this effect for years.

I am observing, not criticizing. A rolex, to the average guy - more than any other watch brand - is not a discrete item. It is a display of wealth.

Despite my attempts at a disclaimer, Im sure someone will already be gnashing their teeth and furiously pounding away at their keyboard...

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    The Pelagos LHD (red text, no Cyclops, 42mm, brilliant clasp) ticks a lot of those boxes.. SD43 is very very close though.
    I have both SD50 and the Pelagos LHD and I freely admit that the Pelagos LHD is on my wrist more, even though I only collected the SD50 last Saturday.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The 43mm is just about shouting 'Rolex', the size is surely intended to demonstrate it is more expensive. Not a pleasing development , but Rolex want to sell more watches, and they will.
    To me it's a Rolex shouting "Steinhart" lol I would prefer the SD4K too, but way out of my future budget.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Tried the 43 on the other day. It works. Certainly on my wrist. It's bigger yes but the increase in size is counterbalanced by the proportions when wearing. I prefer it to the 40. Didn't think I would.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    To me it's a Rolex shouting "Steinhart" lol I would prefer the SD4K too, but way out of my future budget.
    Agree. I don't mind the size or the cyclops, though would have been better without, but I think that Rolex have the proportions - the dial/bezel ratio all wrong and I automatically think Steinhart.

Craftsman
    I have tried the SD50 on and loved it. Yes it's bigger but well proportioned imo.

I'm not a fan of the new SD43, it looks lazy and more Steinhart than Rolex.

Apprentice
    Steinhart and especially the O1V has been especially designed to look as close as possible to the famous RSD so it is not a coincidence if some would say that the new SD43 Red look like the O1V (fact is Steinhart look like Rolex not the other way round, let's keep the fact straight)... But the resemblance stops right here. The SD43 is a hell of a watch, and it comes at a hell of a price too!! Both watch and price are Killer!! I just got my SD43 or SD50 few days ago, and have been wearing Rolex's all my life as my main watches.. I have had a few other brands in-between and still keep few other divers, but what I can say from experience, is that I am sold on Rolex. Extremely reliable, built to suffer, I have virtually done everything with my Rolex watches and they really take punishment well. I am also a Tec/trimix diver, and again in the high end brands, this is the only watch i will take down without hesitation and worry, as it is truly the most rugged.. I believe Rolex made a smart move with this new watch 43mm, the red marking, and even the controversial cyclop. I personally like it, as my eye sight is not as good as it used to, and the SD is very hard for me to read. Some say that from distance this was a way to recognise a SD from a SUB.. I disagree with that, as from distance, who knows?? Maybe it is a SUB/without date that you are looking at (Or another lookalike watch like the Steinhart)... Fact we do not appreciate these watches from distance, but rather from close up, and what makes all the difference are the details.. The SD4K is a great watch, the ceramic bezel looks very sexy, and it's now a classic, the 40mm is a great size, always has been, and always will be. The new SD43 is an interesting move and a size many will enjoy for sure, and a way to really break it appart from the sub I think. Some said, the SD43 is a Sub on steroid, I would agree to that. And actually that's always what the SD was to the sub anyway. SD43 or SD4K, it's only a question of taste, wrist size maybe also, but both are amazing watches (Actually have them both/love them both is the way to go!).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikoboy View Post
    SD 4000 all day , cyclops ruins it for me . The date no cyclops is what separated the sd to the sub

Seikoboy

I agree. It's perfectly proportioned too. My only question would be whether a 16600 would be even better?!

Master
    I've tried a few Sea Dwellers on and preferred the weight and feeling of solidity over the Submariner, also the non-cyclops look.
    I think the SDC4000 will become a huge classic, if it hasn't already.
    I like that it's a bit under the radar, although most will probably confuse it with a Sub !
    Wouldn't mind a try on of the SD43, it's not on 'The List' yet though...

From the pics it seems they have changed the bezel pip pearl as well so that it doesnt stand out that high, which looks very nice.

What is the SD43 list price in UK ADs?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post
    From the pics it seems they have changed the bezel pip pearl as well so that it doesnt stand out that high, which looks very nice.

What is the SD43 list price in UK ADs?
    £8350

£8350
    wow! inquired in several ADs in AT and DE and the list is 10400 EUR, which is about 8900 GBP. wonder how country pricing in conjured..

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I agree. It's perfectly proportioned too. My only question would be whether a 16600 would be even better?!
    Absolutely, I have posted the same thing in other threads. A future classic that is becoming more appreciated by watch enthusiasts. Certainly a good call for those who obsess about residuals, whereas the SD4K is currently a no go area for those who worry about such things.

Master
    From the pics it seems they have changed the bezel pip pearl as well so that it doesnt stand out that high, which looks very nice

looks like it and sure is a plus point, When I tried my Brother SD4k I don't like it as I find it a little small in diameter. 42mm would be a perfect size but they opted for 43 and with a cyclops.... errr emm.

So I just received a call from the AD that my 126600 is in and I can pick it up, however they insist that they must peel off the stickers prior to sending claiming its Rolex policy. I read about it somewhere on TZUK that some experienced this and some didnt.

Whats the current status. Has this spread worldwide or is it still AD dependent?

Yoo Hoo-it is Monday, time to reignite the stickergate:-)

Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post
    So I just received a call from the AD that my 126600 is in and I can pick it up, however they insist that they must peel off the stickers prior to sending claiming its Rolex policy. I read about it somewhere on TZUK that some experienced this and some didnt.

Whats the current status. Has this spread worldwide or is it still AD dependent?
    Why worry about it if you really want the watch? Buy and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Why worry about it if you really want the watch? Buy and enjoy.
    Your comment isnt helpful