closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only Two Watches

Only Two Watches

I like the idea of the three watch collection but haven't found a dress watch new or old that I like and tbh don't really see the point of buying a watch I'll only wear once in a blue moon.

Does anyone get by with just a two watch 'collection' - and by that I mean something like a SMP or Sub as daily wearer plus a G-SHOCK beater, rather than two Rolexes? Would be great to see any photos and suggestions of what might be a decent duo.

Just reading the thread title is giving me breathing difficulties
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I've got four sets of two, does that count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Sorry to not answer the question asked, but it's three minimum for me. I don't need a dedicated dress watch either, but something that can do dress and smart-casual (currently Seiko Sarx029), plus something that can do smart-casual and casual (currently Breitling Colt Ocean), and also a beater (currently Seiko Snkk31k1 on nato). I also have a Sarb017 that can cover many bases depending on strap fitted.
    So three minimum, but would love to find that 'one watch' one day.

Master

3 for me too.

Since I bought it last autumn, I've been wearing my Explorer, which I now consider would work well for me as an only watch. In all that time it's been on its bracelet. I have tried out an Everest rubber strap and lovely barenia leather strap, but it went straight back onto the oyster bracelet. I intend to try out some NATOs and perlon straps this summer, but so far I've been surprised how satisfied I've been wearing just this one watch and without feeling the need to swap to another or switch straps for a change.

Anyway, I do also have this G-Shock. It's a limited edition GW-M5610NV-2JF that I put on a combi bracelet. It is/was intended for those times when I didn't want to wear the Explorer, but that hasn't happened yet. As time goes on I think it's less and less likely that I'll wear the G-Shock, with the Explorer doing the job nicely. But never say never, so the G-Shock stays and waits. It's solar and atomic so it'll always be ready for action (!) whenever the call comes in.

Craftsman
    Yep I wear my black Explorer ii 16570 90% of the time and have my Omega Seamaster 120m for when the Rolex is being serviced or when I'm on a beach etc.
    But I constantly hanker for a third. And when I get it I'll be constantly hankering for a fourth.

Get by with two?

Nope - currently have 4. Some nicer/dressier bits (SMP GW/Pogue), casual Seiko, and G-Shock for phys/gym. I have a Garmin incoming but don't really count that as 'watch' - more of an activity tracker.

I just wouldn't be able to get down to two! No way :)

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post

3 for me too.

Uhh... WOW.

I'm currently the proud owner of three watches: a 16570 Exp II, Speedy FOIS and a Longines Admiral Diver from the late 80s. I must say, this ticks most boxes for me: the Exp II goes with just about anything, the FOIS looks stunning with a shirt, and the Longines I wear when I'm feeling like something smaller/blacker (on a black leather strap).

The collection is good, but I can't help but lust after more: next I want a classic Speedmaster Professional, and part of me really wants a 114270 Explorer (though I do wonder if a 214270 would suit better, given its larger size).

I think a real dream come true would be a 16750 GMT Master, and where I am currently, I think my best option is to stick with what I've got (which I absolutely love - my heart skips a beat when I come home to my Explorer II after not wearing it for the day) and save save save for the GMT.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Just reading the thread title is giving me breathing difficulties
    This made me smile.

The truth is that of course I could get down to 2 if I had to do so, but I would greatly prefer not to. I'm currently ridiculously pleased with myself for halving my collection size from a max. of 24 to 12... and of course I can justify every one of those .

If someone told me tomorrow I could only have two of my current 12, I'd probably keep my Breitling Avenger Skyland and Seiko PADI Turtle... maybe...

Simon

Craftsman
    Bought an explorer I a few weeks ago and that has been on the wrist ever since. I do have a g shock dw5600 but that hasn't seen any wrist time in a while. Looking for a chronograph to complete the trio, specifically a tri colour zenith el primero

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

T̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶f̶e̶ I have limited myself to three watches. Perhaps only missing something dressy.

I have these, the 82 is for work/beater (but not abused) and the Sarb is there as it is a good all rounder that passes for dressy on leather and toolish on bracelet

What happened to your Rolex Explorer I ?

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post

3 for me too.

In a previous thread I answered with this pair as my two watch end-point:

The Grand Seiko has since gone, so I'd now say that Landmaster or Rolex SD16600 and some crazy G Shock. Dullest choice ever

Journeyman
    Out of interest , how much would I expect to pay in sc for that model of grand seiko ?
    Haven't got enough posts yet . ( only 40)
    Not sure if that's a good thing or not

Journeyman
    Hahahaha if only it was that simple

At various times I have had bursts of selling to get down to 12, 6, 3, 2 and even 1.

It never lasts long so I don't try any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I have these, the 82 is for work/beater (but not abused) and the Sarb is there as it is a good all rounder that passes for dressy on leather and toolish on bracelet

Interesting for me, the two that stand out are the 82 and the SARB, don't think you need the others!

Craftsman
    Interesting challenge! If I had to just have two watches (from my collection, not what I'd buy starting from scratch) it would be this for dailywear:

And this for evenings/weekends:

Maybe......!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    I think there was a similar thread on this. And my reply remains the sam IF it came down to choosing two:

The Patek for daily wear. The Explorer for anything else and a holiday watch - maybe on a Nato.

I do have quite a few others though... Just can't get by with just two!!
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 10th May 2017 at 18:15.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I think there was a similar thread on this. And my reply remains the same:

All bases covered and just lovely too!

Master
    Don't think I can do 2..I need variety no matter what they two are. For me it's 5

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Interesting for me, the two that stand out are the 82 and the SARB, don't think you need the others!
    I know they are not popular on here but the SubC is perfection for me so as good as the 82 is (and it really is) it really is not comparable, the SMP is very nice but I have considered moving it on, it is in limbo between the others

I have 7 so far, but the two I wear 90% of the times are the SMP and (vintage) Datejust...

Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post
    Interesting challenge! If I had to just have two watches (from my collection, not what I'd buy starting from scratch) it would be this for dailywear:

And this for evenings/weekends:

Maybe......!

Nice choice of two but funnily enough I would wear the SD on the evenings and weekends and the Speedy daily!

Blog Entries
    I managed for years with ONE yes ONE.

Then TZ came along and it all went Pete Tong. Nine now and no10 on its way.

Ho hum........... A tenner says once you settle on two it will soon be.............

Pitch

Funnily enough I bought both of the watches (G-Shock gw5000 & sub 5513 transitional) a couple of months ago and have worn one of these watches every single day since. So the answer to your question is that yes you can get by. BUT I haven't been to any weddings/fancy dinners/parties and as you say both would look a bit out place if I put my glad rags on. Given there's no chance of me leaving the house without a watch I def need a smarter piece for the odd occasion.
    I therefore would say no - in my experience 2 watches is not enough!

Here's a pic, just because I love seeing pics of watches!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I managed for years with ONE yes ONE.

Then TZ came along and it all went Pete Tong. Nine now and no10 on its way.

Ho hum........... A tenner says once you settle on two it will soon be.............

Pitch
    That more or less applies to me as well. A Sub for several years as a daily wearer, but in the last few months I've purchased 2 more watches with 1 on the way and a dress watch to follow at some point later in the year. Also loving the BLNR so will possibly be making calls to ADs soon!

Only Two Watches

I really think i would struggle to get to two but here goes...

Rolex GMT or Exp2 - daily (GMT function will come in handy for travel)
    Lange und Sohne Lange 1 - dress watch

Supported by a Seiko Turtle or SKX007 as a beater/holiday watch

But now I don't have a chronograph in the collection and I do love a chronograph...

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Good choices, I like all three.

Quote Originally Posted by YtseThunder View Post
    Uhh... WOW.

I'm currently the proud owner of three watches: a 16570 Exp II, Speedy FOIS and a Longines Admiral Diver from the late 80s. I must say, this ticks most boxes for me: the Exp II goes with just about anything, the FOIS looks stunning with a shirt, and the Longines I wear when I'm feeling like something smaller/blacker (on a black leather strap).

The collection is good, but I can't help but lust after more: next I want a classic Speedmaster Professional, and part of me really wants a 114270 Explorer (though I do wonder if a 214270 would suit better, given its larger size).

I think a real dream come true would be a 16750 GMT Master, and where I am currently, I think my best option is to stick with what I've got (which I absolutely love - my heart skips a beat when I come home to my Explorer II after not wearing it for the day) and save save save for the GMT.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
    I really think i would struggle to get to two but here goes...

Rolex GMT or Exp2 - daily (GMT function will come in handy for travel)
    Lange und Sohne Lange 1 - dress watch

Supported by a Seiko Turtle or SKX007 as a beater/holiday watch

l]
    Even using man maths I still make that three...
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

As the owner of a 50+ watch collection I never imagined I could ever get by with 2.

However, a recent addition has changed the way I think. My newly acquired Rolex Day-Date and my Speedmaster X33* do seem to cover nearly all the bases.

*You could substitute a Breitling Aerospace for the X33

I think it's hard to have two and not think of something else! I'm at 7, about to be 8, but these two cover most of my wear **at the moment**

I'm amazed by how much I wear (and love) the G-Shock Rangeman

Dave

Craftsman
    I have this GMTc at the moment and Milgauss z-blue should arrive today or tomorrow and these will be my two.

Well, to be honest, I have Polar v800 as well - but I consider it as a sport equipment:)

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Even using man maths I still make that three...
    Yep - I said it would be hard!

Master

I could probably get away with three, two of which are divers. I've realised that I now much prefer straps with the exception of the 2254.50

I'm wearing this more and more particularly after putting it on leather.
    upload picscertificity.com

A lovely casual 80's Heuer Quartz great for grab and go with a richness of patina giving it interest
    how to take a screen shotcertificity.com

A great all rounder and the only watch I love on a bracelet. My Great White hardly gets worn now since it's arrival.
    host imagescertificity.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Soom View Post
    I have this GMTc at the moment and Milgauss z-blue should arrive today or tomorrow and these will be my two.

Well, to be honest, I have Polar v800 as well - but I consider it as a sport equipment:)
    i had forgotten how good the non-BLNR looked! Excellent choice.

Master

If I HAD to pick two from my small collection it would have to be the EXP2 for my daily beater

and the BLNR for weekends and best.

But that could change tomorrow 🎠🎠

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I only have three but could manage with just these two...

Master
    Yep only have two watches now

PAM00512 and a Datejust.

For work is an TH Aquaracer 300, as it's quartz it doesn't count as a watch to me, it's just a TDT (Time Display Tool)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Yep only have two watches now

PAM00512 and a Datejust.

For work is an TH Aquaracer 300, as it's quartz it doesn't count as a watch to me, it's just a TDT (Time Display Tool)
    More man maths...as i make that threealthough i have three and don't count my G Shock because it's part of my work uniform.

yep I just done it apple watch sports for everyday use and Daytona ceramic for pub club and restraunts..............happy to have done so as well.

Master
    2 watches would be tough.

Daily wear is easy - An Apple Watch Series 2 / latest - So useful in myriad ways, siri on my wrist, timers, alarms, activity monitor, timezones, call / message / mail screening all at a glance and now able to go swimming etc.

It's the second one that's the problem. It'd have to be something classic, versatile, able to be dressed up / down and different enough to warrant wearing.
    It'd probably be one of the following but without trying them i have no idea.
    1) A classic Genta design like the AP Royal oak (not offshore) or PP Nautilus.
    2) A JLC Reverso of some sort.
    3) A Grand Seiko spring drive as I love the inventive use of classic and modern technology (possibly an Ananta moonphase but I never see these for sale any more, or possibly a spacewalk but a bit 'chunky' ).
    4) A Rolex Sky Dweller, love a GMT and there is something about this watch but it's a bit 'in your face'
    5) An Azimuth Spaceship - incredible looking but not exactly subtle.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by YtseThunder View Post
    Uhh... WOW.

That Longines is gorgeous!! Solid 3 watches!

Only two!!! What is this madness ;)

I think I'd be hard pushed, but it would be the Patek 5711 and my favorite 16600 SD.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    I never really understood the concept of being a watch fan, but having a "beater" that's something like a GShock? Isn't that the watch you wear most of the time?

My "beater" is an Oris TT1 GMT - is that cheap enough when compared to a Rolex?

I don't see the point in wearing a watch that's "sub standard" regarding what I love in a quality watch - i'd rather just take it off for the duration of anything seriously risky to it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyRoses View Post
    I never really understood the concept of being a watch fan, but having a "beater" that's something like a GShock? Isn't that the watch you wear most of the time?

My "beater" is an Oris TT1 GMT - is that cheap enough when compared to a Rolex?

I don't see the point in wearing a watch that's "sub standard" regarding what I love in a quality watch - i'd rather just take it off for the duration of anything seriously risky to it?
    I work in a car engine factory, and whilst the work doesn't give my beater (a Seiko 5) a hammering, it does get far too many knocks and scratches to be anything more expensive. If I didn't work 5 shifts a week in the engine plant I wouldn't have a beater, I would do as you suggest and take my daily wearer off for risky activities.

I seem happiest with just two - a cheap quartz beater and an automatic daily wearer

Omega SeMP 2254.50.00 daily wearer - I had one of these as my first good watch so in a sense I have come full circle, I might change it again at some point for a PO, a black bond SeMP or a SeMPc or another Sub Date, but I think a black dial 'dressy' diver is the most versatile daily wearer

Casio G-SHOCK G-7700-1ER beater - much more comfortable on my wrist than the 5600 squares, and all the functionality I need

Master
    My collection seems to have naturally dwindled... had a few bills, sold a few watches and never really bothered replenishing them properly.
    So, my main 2 are currently these:-

Although I've got 2 cheap beaters and a watch for sports to supplement them.
    The black dialled 216570 is so versatile that I dare say that could easily be my 1 watch if I went down that path.