closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A sea view - is it overhyped?

Master

A sea view - is it overhyped?

House prices carry a hefty premium if overlooking the sea but what's the big deal? The view doesn't change except for the occasional boat. Nothing to look at but waves. Ok, if the view is over a harbour then I agree there is some variety but give me rural landscape with changing colours with the seasons any day with some wildlife as a bonus. Unfortunately living in London my view is the front or back of houses - lovely. No hanging gardens of Babylon here although you can pay extra for a balcony - overlooking a road.
    The management loves London but if it were up to me I'd be in the countryside any day and not by the sea. Any agreement here?

Master
    You cant build a new housing estate on the sea.

I'd love a sea view. Would depend on the sea though.

North Antrim coast would be ideal.

We could have had a view of a muddy, overgrown section of the Clyde for a £5000 premium for the same house we're in.

We declined

Master
    Not regarding a sea view in particular, but views in general - when we were looking for a building site, the other half disregarded dozens with the phrase "no view".

I thought she was daft, but when we found one with a view I bought it quickly, fearing we'd never get the ball rolling.

Now when I go out the front door or look out the window, I get it.

EDIT:

Last edited by demonloop; 9th May 2017 at 09:28.

If you're in a coastal location, you're never far from the sea so it doesn't matter that much. You can always walk for 5mins and be on the beach.

That said, my view from the back room where I work all day is this, and it makes me feel good:

Master
    I'm getting jealous now!

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    you can build a massive wind farm though
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    I grew up by the sea, and now live by the sea (diff part of the UK) and really don't get the fuss, unless as mentioned above it's an interesting bit of coastline or there's something other than a flat (mostly) grey expanse to look at.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I need sea views, it's the dolphin in me.

I love the countryside and there's always something to see. A seaview offers something different, almost nothing to see but it can be beautiful and calming.

If I could I'd buy a place in Cornwall, probably like this at Carbis Bay...

Any 'good' view adds value and if still the same, passes on when sold. I've had two sea views (not anymore!) and enjoyed them......but like all views you get used to it and tend not to even see it!

The market says it's worth the premium.....so it is!

My non scientific theory is that if you've lived by the sea it gets into your blood and, hence, when you're away from the ocean for too long, you start to crave the sight, smell and feel of it.

This is probably all a little too flowery for a Tuesday morning and more than likely I need a strong cup of coffee and to MTFU but it is genuinely the way I feel.

Having lived within sight of the sea for about two decades, I now find my land locked self craving trips to the ocean if I haven't seen it in 12-months.

Perhaps it is the constantly changing view, the rapidly changing weather patterns, vast sky scape or the pure majesty of mother nature, and how harsh she can be!, but I can appreciate why people would pay more to have a sea view.

...now off to write a nasty Draft Post about myself

It's the horizontal line. You cannot get it anywhere else.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I love the countryside and there's always something to see. A seaview offers something different, almost nothing to see but it can be beautiful and calming.

If I could I'd buy a place in Cornwall, probably like this at Carbis Bay...

Now you're talking!!!

Master
    Definitely over-rated - I find myself longing for a green field when I sit at my desk and look out of the window ...

A sea view - is it overhyped?

53 secs away from a refreshing swim
    Whats not to like

Blog Entries
    The OP's question is a valid one, a lot of the reactions not... certainly those with a pic are not okay ()

Kidding aside: The moments my boys leave the house, is the moment we offer our house for sale, making a turn to the west: living near the sea ASAP! For my wife an additional reason: this time of the year causes a lot allergic reactions (trees, flowers). Near the sea, with wind from sea about 90% of the time, it will be a lot better for her.

Menno

Master
    I wouldn't call it a sea view but you can see the sea from my house if you look over the back of the estate. Would I pay more for it? No, but it's definitive a plus. I've always lived close to the sea and I prefer it to the countryside. It also changes between seasons - here's a couple of winter snaps from the harbour which is another 5 mins down the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Now you're talking!!!
    I've stayed very close to this. You wouldn't be talking if you walked from the sea to the house because you'd have no breath left. Steepest hill ever!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Nope.
    I love being by the sea. Was discussing this with my girlfriend the other day. I'd settle for a loch but think I'd be really miserable if I wasn't living near water. I find everything about it relaxing

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    The OP's question is a valid one, a lot of the reactions not... certainly those with a pic are not okay ()

Kidding aside: The moments my boys leave the house, is the moment we offer our house for sale, making a turn to the west: living near the sea ASAP! For my wife an additional reason: this time of the year causes a lot allergic reactions (trees, flowers). Near the sea, with wind from sea about 90% of the time, it will be a lot better for her.

Menno
    Agree with this. My Mrs suffers from asthma and the sea air does help.

Master
    I agree that london is just so over rated. Been here for a decade now but wish I could live in the country side, just no jobs there for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    If you're in a coastal location, you're never far from the sea so it doesn't matter that much. You can always walk for 5mins and be on the beach.

That said, my view from the back room where I work all day is this, and it makes me feel good:

That is just lovely. I was bought up on the Kent coast and miss it badly

Master
    Blog Entries
    Being by the coast in England feels depressing to me. I dont know what it is about it but it always feels gloomy. Then again i always get a dreamy feeling when looking out to the horizon. Would much rather a house in the countryside.

I have to admit I do like a view.

Our apartment in the IoM is on the seafront and has an interesting view as we are at the end of Douglas Bay.

Our London pied a terre is on the Shooters Hill slopes so has an elevated view of most of London - on a clear day we can see as far as Wembley Arch, as well as the Shard, Gherkin, Post Office Tower, Tower Bridge, St Paul's dome, Canary Wharf and O2. No water though.

In Malta we can see most of the Island from our roof terrace, the only water is a distant open sea view and some docks though.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I agree that london is just so over rated. Been here for a decade now but wish I could live in the country side, just no jobs there for me.
    My next door neighbour works in London, commuting every day from where we are, about five minutes from the beach.

25 years in Brighton and born in London...yep totally agree...we looked at both but opted countryside as better vfm than really hanging all out for a sea view...

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I like the idea and wouldn't mind trying it, but having seen my wife's parents place and the amount of work needed to keep the house maintained, I'm in two minds. The house, the car, your tools etc are all working really hard when you live by the ocean and I am not sure I would want that long term. It is nice sitting on the verandah enjoying the sun set and the views for sure, but in Winter, it's a different story.

So is it overhyped, I would say a little. I think a river would be a better option if you want water.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I've stayed very close to this. You wouldn't be talking if you walked from the sea to the house because you'd have no breath left. Steepest hill ever!
    I know, I've walked it many times. Last year I had a push chair with child, kids surfboard, wind break, wet suits and various other bits to cart up that hill.

Master
    Just as long as you're not close enough to the sea to be at risk of coastal erosion.

A sea view can never be overhyped IMO, it's a 'must have' for me.

Although we 'only' have a countryside view from our home in the UK...

... we have this 10 minutes away:

View from my overseas home:

And the current view from behind my laptop:

(And I'm working on changing the home location to bring it in line with a sea view).

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Here in Holderness if you have a sea view chances are you won't have a house for long!
    Quite old but worth a view if you want to see how this part of the world is vanishing faster than virtually anywhere else world wide.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    I can see the English Channel and France from my bedroom window
    I do like living by the coast

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Being by the coast in England feels depressing to me. I dont know what it is about it but it always feels gloomy.
    You must be going to the wrong parts of the coast.

Even when it's gloomy it can be beautiful.

Not sure if I would move again for a sea view. I like the hills too much......................................

I'd love a sea view, but given that I live in Central Bedfordshire, about as far as it is possible to get from the ocean, it isn't much of a possibility.

When I retire, in the distant future, we may well move to the coast.

Not overhyped at all, there is something wonderfully calming about gazing at the sea. Food for the soul.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Someone better tell the Dutch...

Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    My non scientific theory is that if you've lived by the sea it gets into your blood and, hence, when you're away from the ocean for too long, you start to crave the sight, smell and feel of it.

This is probably all a little too flowery for a Tuesday morning and more than likely I need a strong cup of coffee and to MTFU but it is genuinely the way I feel.

Having lived within sight of the sea for about two decades, I now find my land locked self craving trips to the ocean if I haven't seen it in 12-months.

Perhaps it is the constantly changing view, the rapidly changing weather patterns, vast sky scape or the pure majesty of mother nature, and how harsh she can be!, but I can appreciate why people would pay more to have a sea view.

...now off to write a nasty Draft Post about myself
    I'd agree with you, in that I grew up by the coast and even now, if I need to seriously chill out from pressures of work, I take my bike to a beach with a book. I never read the book, I just close my eyes, listen to the waves and watch them ebb and flow.

Better than smoking, that's for sure!

Ayr

Love a sea view, just nice to watch too.
    This is the view from my late mums house.

I would love a sea view.

Even though I love where we live there is something magical about the sea.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    I've been lucky to always have this view

Craftsman
    Not something I would specifically look for when buying a house but it would certainly be a plus point. If buying abroad I would love a sea view.
    Some of the pics below are brilliant btw :)

I seem to spend more & more time out of the country these days & a sea view is something I never get tired of.

I've been lucky enough to have this view out of my lounge for the last 10 years now & couldn't be with out it.

I love a Seaview of any description

But seriously, I would love to live by the sea. I feel so much better there.

Would love to have a house with a sea view: but unless I win the lottery it's never going to happen unfortunately

Would love a sea view, but it would be best in a warmer climate - can often be best viewed through a window in Ireland or England. Money/value is always going to be a personal decision. I am 12 mins walk from it where I live, and in a house that is about €1m cheaper than once with a direct seaview......that is a fairly simple decision for me (excusing the fact that I don't have €1m, just a minor detail!)

I used to live in a few places with a sea view and I found it depressing. I'm happier now that I'm a bit inland.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nick wood View Post
    Would love to have a house with a sea view: but unless I win the lottery it's never going to happen unfortunately
    Climate change might bring you your wish.

Sea view

I don't have a sea view from my home, but after a busy day at work I went for a run earlier (from my front door) and went to the beach with the dog via this little bit of coast path. Works for me!

Best wishes,
    Martyn.

I don't know whether it was having keen sailors for a father and brother and spending a lot of time on the water but I find the sea incredibly calming. And more recently an enthusiastic diver (scuba and free).

I could sit with a bottle of wine and watch, and hear, the waves for hours on end.