closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The impossible task of naming your child

Craftsman

The impossible task of naming your child

While this may seem like something commonly found over on mumsnet, I'm sat wondering how many parents go through the torment of finding a name for their newborn..?

2 days away from her due date, excited to bring our first child, a boy into this world and We are still no further forward to naming him! Not too common, not too extreme, this friend has that name, her dog is called that, doesn't go with the surname. Some of many reasons as to why he can't be called that...

Let's hope when he's born, a name that's 'just right' finds its way into our minds...

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    While this may seem like something commonly found over on mumsnet, I'm sat wondering how many parents go through the torment of finding a name for their newborn..?

2 days away from her due date, excited to bring our first child, a boy into this world and We are still no further forward to naming him! Not too common, not too extreme, this friend has that name, her dog is called that, doesn't go with the surname. Some of many reasons as to why he can't be called that...

Let's hope when he's born, a name that's 'just right' finds its way into our minds...
    Call him Kirk.

HTH.

My rule was it had to be as simple as possible, preferably 4 letters 'John', 'Anne', 'Kate', 'Bill'...

I go to playgrounds/parks with my young kids and I constantly hear middle class parents calling out names that make me blush. Only this weekend gone I heard 2 utterly middle class, suitably complex and 'intellectual' examples and I believe they will simply attract bullies to the kids. The type of names that are concocted at dinner parties in leafy suburbia.

I dont want to give the examples as someone will get offended.

Master
    I feel your pain, but have a few months to decide. We've decided on a boys name, but the girls are trickier in my view.

My surname has one syllable, which means single syllable first names don't sound great.

Oddly, we didn't have any difficulty naming our girl. There were lots of girl names we liked. However, it was a lot more difficult with our son. We just couldn't find a name we both liked. I remember it was quite frustrating.

Found it hard last year when we welcomed our daughter (son is named after me in a family tradition). As you get older (wife now 40, me on my way there) you've met more people so have more associations to names, I feel your pain!

We're both avid readers and turned to books for inspiration. We actually got our daughters name from Beatrix Potter. Cecily (Cece - pronounced "see-see") now one, is actually a flipping hooligan so not sure if we made the right decision yet...

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    Suitably complex and 'intellectual' examples and I believe they will simply attract bullies to the kids.
    Probably not because all of their contemporaries will be in the same boat.

I know it's not quite on topic, but my parents called their dog Max. Good name for a dog, you might think. Not so when your mother-in-law is called Maxine, but everyone calls her Max. I mentioned it to my parents, thinking it was soon enough to be able to change the dog's name without much confusion. No, my parents being my parents hadn't even realised, thought it was funny, and insisted on sticking with the dog's name.

Naming kids is tough - I went with classic names (four letters for each, as it happens) that, in my view at least, sound distinctive without making other people wince. And they don't make anything amusing as acronyms or when shortened, as my Dad's friend Alfred Hookham found out when his name was shortened throughout his life to Alf.

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post

if you don't get it right, as long as he or she has not been christened, you can always change your mind up to 9 months or a year afterwards
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    I went old fashioned with my boy.

I named him Daniel which is also my first name.

I have 2 middle names which are my dad and granddad so I gave Daniel 2 middle names which are my dad and my wife's dad's name.

my surname is that of my stepfather so Daniel has ended up named after me and his 3 granddads.

I hope he gets to have kids and carries on the tradition.

A boy named Sue?

I don't have kids myself though I'm uncle to 2 and 4 yo nieces. My brother's partner is a teacher and they both wanted to avoid any names "on trend", anything that sounded too middle class and something that she hears in the classroom, it took them a while though they got there in the end.
    Last edited by CardShark; 8th May 2017 at 20:48.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    ... they both wanted to avoid any names "on trend", anything that sounded too middle class and something that she hears in the classroom
    'savage' ticks both of those boxes, as does 'zoltfrog'.

What are your wifes preferences?
    Does she like easter, for example....?

Last boy was the hardest, Nothing in common for any of the 4 Christian names, boys have the grandads name as middle names, girls a version of the nans. Oldest boy was Oscar and we picked it about 3 months before he was born annoyingly the week before he was born best mate got a dog and called it Oscar too, annoying. Went with it as it was the only one we agreed on, his twin sister Phoebe was the Mrs choice from the get go. Next one we had a scan and her name came to me and it stuck. Then the last boy we had a girls name for months but no boys. We kept picking them and then she would meet a kid with that name being a shit and the name was then disregarded, but got there in the End.

We agreed if we could not find one we would each write down 20 names and the first name that appeared on both list was it.

Master
    All through my wife's pregnancy I called the bump 'Noel' and was adamant that it was going to be a boy and that would be his name (After Noel Gallagher-I know, I know), turns out it was a boy but he just didn't look like a Noel, eventually we decided he looked like a Jack so eventually that's what we settled on but it took a few weeks to decide this. Sneaked Noel in as one of his middle names though!
    We have had 2 more boys since and whilst we have always had a short list of names beforehand when they have been born they went out of the window and we chose something else because we thought they 'looked' like a Harry and Oliver.

Good luck with the new arrival, having babies is the hardest work ever but certainly the most rewarding

Master
    As an aside, we have a Cormac McCormack locally. What's all that about?

And Hannah-Montana McDonagh is quite a famous traveller one from the next town over.

Grand Master
    Our little girl was easy to name, it was a name i'd always liked and the wife liked it too. If it had been a boy like yours then i'd have gone for something like Hieronymus, how cool does that name sound!

Master
    Clearly the "in" name for a boy is "Bear" and it only has four letters. Sorted lol

The name of our first born, a boy, came to me while I was in the house on my own just after he was born. Mum seemed happy with it so that was that.

Our daughter, on the other hand, wasn't named until two days before the deadline for registration. We were calling her every name we could think of until one stuck and felt natural. She's been a difficult madam ever since

Master
    I wanted names that could be casual or businesslike that I liked.

So my is Daniel which could be Dan or Danny.

Then William or Will or even Bill I guess.

My youngest is Isabella or Bella.

I'd offer three simple rules, two that i followed one i wish i had.

Find a busy place and shout your chosen name at the top of your voice, you'll know if its wrong.

Always choose the full version even if you plan to use a short one.

Don't assume that using a middle name is as easy as using a first one. Put the risky one in the middle; if it's any good it will be worth the effort, if it's not it will be a blessing.

Off on a slight tangent, I particularly like human names given to pets.

My daughters friend named her Labrador Ian and someone I know calls their cat Robert Smith.

But back to the problem in hand. Being as this is a watch forum then how about a watch orientated name?

Speedmaster (good if he ends up working in the music industry - a wrapper perhaps?)
    Vostok Amphibia (slightly exotic - good conversation starter)
    SARB035 (space age)
    Luch One Hander (few will get the reference so quite mysterious)

All better than Apple, Zowie or Moon Unit as used by the rich and famous
    Last edited by Velorum; 8th May 2017 at 21:23. Reason: Added nonesense

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post

My daughters friend named her Labrador Ian and someone I know calls their cat Robert Smith.
    I knew a guy who called his dog Jesus.
    When he went into the park, you just used to hear him shouting 'Jesus, Jesus, come here' etc very very loudly.

Craftsman
    My advice is unfortunately once you have thought of a name. Don't tell anyone! If you mention the name you like someone will always have someone they didn't like with that name and totally throw you off. Once the little one is here and you say the name people will have nothing but positive things to say.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My sister in law has a cat called Brian.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Piece of cake. Done it five times and a total of no more than five minutes thought in total. Joshua, Naomi, Benjamin, Emily and Maisie. Job done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have a toaster called Russell Hobbs, and a kettle called Murphy Richards

I wanted to call my first born Elvis Wolfboy but for some reason this was vetoed by the 'Incubator', on the somewhat weak and predictable premise that 'he might not like it when he grows up'. Well, he'll be 24 this year and he has often told me that he wished he had been called Elvis Wolfboy.

I recall doing some shortlisting a couple of years ago and being particularly amused by an application from someone called Annette Curtain.

Allan Key
    Stanley Knife
    Eddie Current

They always make me smile

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    We have a toaster called Russell Hobbs, and a kettle called Murphy Richards
    Love it!

Master

My mate called his Jack Russell Dave. Dave had a son and he called him Dave Junior or DJ.

I know of a dachshund called Colin and a chicken in his mid 40's 😜

Master
    Whatever you do, make sure you agree the name and the exact spelling with your wife.

We agreed relatively quickly on Isabelle when my daughter was born, but the registrar was not amused when we argued over how to spell it in front of her in the hospital .....

I won by the way.

Pete

Blog Entries
    Easy one ....

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    My sister in law has a cat called Brian.
    Mine is called Colin.

My first born weighed in at 8lb 8oz, so he ended up being Henry (the eights)

Our cat is called Boris

My parents revealed a few years ago they seriously thought of calling me Ptolemy, thank god they didn't- beatings in the playground and a life time of saying "no its spelt Pt.."

We have two girls and went for girly names that are modern in their own ways and we still think we got it right with Lucy and Amelia.

Amelia was easy, we loved it and never changed it throughout the pregnancy. Lucy was either Lucy or Elizabeth and we decided to meet her first to see which one she suited the most. That approach might work for you.

Good luck

Something with history?

Barabbas.

Or Ptolemy.

Or Caligula.

Or for something newer, what about Krug.

Or Bollinger.

Or Kryten.

Master
    Our first boy was easy to name as it was the only name we both liked. When the second came along, we had a long list of girl's names but no second boy's name. Even though we found out with number 2 before he was born that he would indeed be a boy, we still couldn't find one we both liked. It took another 6 days before we agreed on a name with regular hassling by family and friends!

He should be named a14x.

Blog Entries
    As a teacher for years with hundreds of kids in front of me, some names were a definite 'No!' In the end, we choose two names - and both names echoed a memory of two boys in my class. Luckily, both are (I meet them from time to time on the street in my town) nice lads.

Menno

One tip is to choose a name that can shortened.

That way, the diminutive form can be used at school and the full name as and when needed - e.g. Nobel Prize acceptance speeches, receiving the CBE at Buck House.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    As an aside, we have a Cormac McCormack locally. What's all that about?

And Hannah-Montana McDonagh is quite a famous traveller one from the next town over.
    What part of NI are you from? I know a Cormac McCormac! Don't know a Hannah Montana though!
    Last edited by Enda; 8th May 2017 at 22:19.

Master
    For our 2 we wanted to choose names that worked in both English and my wife's native language of Bulgarian which narrowed the choice somewhat but still caused plenty of disagreement! We settled on Sophia and Alexander.

Blog Entries
    Think Prime Minister "insert name"

Master
    Do your bit. Play your part! There hasn't been a child named Clive or Clyde for many years. The name is going to disappear from the language if YOU are not careful! Wayne (my name) is also on the endangered species list. Please help...

I think Dave's a pretty good name!

Master
    We got a very warm reception at a baby shop in Harrogate with our boys. George and James. Two "proper" names. George laid the charm on massively and we got a £10 voucher. I don't think Apple or North would've got the same

James was decided about an hour before my wife was rushed into theatre. George was second choice but it felt better when he arrived so we went for that

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    What part of NI are you from? I know a Cormac McCormac! Don't know a Hannah Montana though!
    Omagh mate, this Cormac lived/lives near my in laws iirc