closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lexus RX400h

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Lexus RX400h

I'm looking at buying one of the above cars, any past or present owners that could share some views on them in general?

Master
    Make sure that you take a long drive in one before you commit.

I have to say that I just couldn't take to the CVT gearbox ( I am currently on my 6th Lexus GS)

B

My wife has got one as the family runaround. We love it. Jump in, turn the key and go.

I went for the SE-L so it's got all of the toys. Everything is automatic, including the tailgate. I haven't bothered using the DVD and rear screens yet because my daughter is still a bit too young.

If you've got any specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Make sure that you take a long drive in one before you commit.

I have to say that I just couldn't take to the CVT gearbox ( I am currently on my 6th Lexus GS)

B
    if it is the same as the Auris CVT, I agree with you. As if you drive with your foot on the clutch....

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    My wife has got one as the family runaround. We love it. Jump in, turn the key and go.

I went for the SE-L so it's got all of the toys. Everything is automatic, including the tailgate. I haven't bothered using the DVD and rear screens yet because my daughter is still a bit too young.

If you've got any specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
    Thanks, How long can you tootle around town on just battery power

I Don't have an RX400 but I drive a 10 plate GS450H which I think is similar in terms of engine/battery combo. As far as driving on battery alone goes, you can't do it for very long. It's really more of an aid to performance when accelerating/overtaking but it does help in town and prevents the kind of low teens MPG you get from a big engine in stop start traffic. Personally I really like the CVT gearbox and think it suits this type of car, plenty of power and although it doesn't handle like an F1 car you can give cars that are a lot more overtly 'sporty' a bit of a shock from time to time! Overall as a concept it's a good compromise - judging by my experience with the GS you'll get similar economy to a large automatic diesel but with a lot more refinement, and the torque of the electric motor is pretty impressive when it kicks in.
    Tim

A business colleague has one - nice quiet comfy car. No issues with reliability etc. His one complaint about it is that it drinks fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by asi17 View Post
    Thanks, How long can you tootle around town on just battery power
    Only for about a mile or so. Two max.

It's good for if you're stuck in a traffic jam or crawling through a car park. Any moderate acceleration will cause the petrol engine to kick in.

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    His one complaint about it is that it drinks fuel.
    I wouldn't say it drinks fuel. We are averaging 27-28mpg (according to the computer).

This doesn't sound great when compared to a modern diesel hatchback which might be getting 60+mpg. However, when it was introduced back in 2005/6, this wasn't necessarily the market it was up against. It was targeted at V8 petrol SUVs. It has similar acceleration, power output (300+bhp) and refinement but considerably better mileage than 15mpg.

I had one for five years, then a 450H, they are great cars, nothing exciting but come with everything, they just work, don't break and seem to go on for ever, I did 150000 miles in the 400 and 140000 in the 450, neither missed a beat, they both averaged 36mpg, Lexus say that the 450 does more but it doesn't.

As I said they just work, nothing falls off, nothing breaks, servicing costs even at main dealers are peanuts and brakes last forever as the energy goes into charging the batteries, they are great cars, you get used to the CVT and change your driving style a bit.

I've had my 400H for just over a year, I'd had three Land Rover Discovery's previous. The Lexus is in a different class as to comfort. As others have stated ultra reliable, pretty damn quick also. I won't be going back to Land Rover in a hurry. I get 30 mpg. I tow my trailer to golf everywhere it does it with ease. Its the nicest car I've ever owned.

Last edited by wildheart; 11th May 2017 at 09:29.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies, I think it's safe to say that their reliability is not in question. That's my biggest concern, 90% of my driving is around town that's why I asked how long the batteries run for on thei own. I am also considering the gs450h as an alternative but have heard their reliability is not as good as the 400h. I really need to drive one now, roll on weekend.

Craftsman
    My old boss had one, and without the most comfy car I've ever driven, just glides along and the seats are brilliant. Mpg isn't too bad, as its a heavy car. My X5 was much better to drive dynamically, but a little harsh (chalk and cheese in that respect) and drank diesel - low teens in town, 30mpg if I was ridiculously careful. I'd get the Lexus every time as personal pref. How dynamic is a 2-3tinne car supposed to be....
    Oh and I liked the gearbox, found it fine and not intrusive.
    Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Just wondering if you are set on a Lexus? I've just bought the top spec new Toyota C-HR hybrid which is a Lexus NX kind of size.

It's an amazing vehicle, very comfortable, all the toy and gadgets you could wish for and frugal, I measured 84 mpg on the way back from a short run to the shops this evening. It has a CVT box but I really like it, yes it's noisy on hard acceleration but I don't imagine people buy a Lexus to go racing?

It doesn't have the size of the Lexus to allow for all the big seats etc but it is very enjoyable to drive around town in Sport mode :)

I've had one and it was excellent. Massively over engineered so supremely reliable. Nothing ever goes wrong. They are also fast, very comfortable, and spacious. I'll get another.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Had a rx350 for a good few yrs now . like other have said super reliable ain't had anything bar the usual
    Discs and pads and tyres , oil service every yr .

It just works and I'm reluctant to get rid of it , leather seats are super comfy and like your sofa at home .

I get around 25mpg combined cycle which isn't bad for something that big .

Pretty boring to drive compared to say an x5 or rrsport as others have said but reliability is better .
    You get used to the cvt and it's plenty quick enough for most even laden with passengers and suitcases .

I've had a few lexus and bmw over the yrs and the lexus have all been trouble free ownership .
    Best go test drive one and see if you like it
    Last edited by alanski; 12th May 2017 at 00:34.

I had a RX450h, and echo the comments above. Nicely built, and very smooth and quiet. Hybrids are so much better suited to stop-start imo , especially compared e.g. diesels with stop-start - it's very obvious when the engine starts, whereas a hybrid pulls away in silence. Styling is possibly a bit marmite, but arguably they are more interesting than Ze Germans.

The CVT takes a bit of getting used to. It's a bit buzzy and crude when you pit your foot down, but if you're wafting around, it's actually smoother than a torque converter (or definitely a dual clutch type auto - which are pretty jerky in my experience).

One thing i would say is that if fuel economy is an issue, be aware that hybrids don't really work in the same way as regular engines. They seem at their best on undulating medium speed A roads, then town driving. Once you get up to motorway speeds, the economy drops off considerably, and once you get much above 70, you're below 30mpg (partly down to the RX's SUV aerodynamics).

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I've had my 400H for just over a year, I'd had three Land Rover Discovery's previous. The Lexus is in a different class as to comfort. As others have stated ultra reliable, pretty damn quick also. I won't be going back to Land Rover in a hurry. I get 30 mpg. I tow my trailer to golf everywhere it does it with ease. Its the nicest car I've ever owned.

Great car, nice alloys too ;)