closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: DIY watch boxes

DIY watch boxes

I'm not a big fan of conventional watch boxes with pillows and all that - they seem to take up a lot of space for a start. I'm any event I don't like the look.

Now, from time to time threads are posted by those who have spent hours fabricating beautiful and intricate watch boxes of their own. Well mine are at the other end of the scale so if a bit of bodging and make do and mend upset you then please move along quickly!

Anyway, I thought that I would see what I could do with what I had lying around in the garage.

I bought a load of these cheap wooden 'decoupage' boxes from eBay ages ago, mainly for storing photos, paperwork and various bits and pieces in. From memory I think that they were about £5 each:

A couple of boxes that would store at least 6 pieces in would be ideal at the moment.

I found some old foam sheet which filled the lid nicely. I covered this and then lined the bottom with some green baize I had left over from a couple of gun cases I made years ago:

Cardboard from the recycling bin for the dividers

Nicely hidden by more baize though!

The 'tray' at the front I have used for a while as a bedside tidy. Now that I have sorted out the boxes, they sit in my bedside cabinet and said tray fits nicely on top so that a few watches currently being rotated can be kept easily to hand:

So there we are, 2 hours work and various bits recycled from the garage at no additional expense.

What do you mean - that's obvious? You can go off some people you know.
    Last edited by Velorum; 30th April 2017 at 16:12.

Master
    Nice work, I like it

That look alright that mate, impressed!

I would like one of the safes with all the bits and bobs inside it for watches etc. Not bothered about winders, just holders. I am looking at it for a winter project to keep out her way in the cold season lol.

Excellent work. Any ideas for pocket watches? I'm trying to think of a little cabinet or something to hang 3 or 4 in.

Craftsman
    Works well, I think.

I bought a peli-case 1470 with pick and pluck foam, then plucked out some rectangular areas. Then I bought some of that grey foam pipe lagging you can get in a long length, cut this up and used as rolls to put the watches on.

Your case looks quite professional. Mine's just utilitarian
    Last edited by jason.humphrey.180; 30th April 2017 at 16:43.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Excellent work. Any ideas for pocket watches? I'm trying to think of a little cabinet or something to hang 3 or 4 in.
    Could you not use one of these wooden cases and use it on its side? You may have to build a plinth for it to mount to to prevent it falling over/keep it upright?

Craftsman
    I would be suitably impressed with myself were it my handy work!

Well I hang some of mine on these:

However, I much prefer the 'wooden tea bag box' method

Once again, dividers made from card and covered with baize

Quote Originally Posted by Walesy View Post
    Could you not use one of these wooden cases and use it on its side? You may have to build a plinth for it to mount to to prevent it falling over/keep it upright?
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Well I hang some of mine on these:

However, I much prefer the 'wooden tea bag box' method

Once again, dividers made from card and covered with baize
    Excellent ideas, thanks both. I can see that cardboard and baize will become my friends.

Journeyman
    Very creative, have been thinking about making something similar myself. Thanks for the 'how to' tips!

Well done, Ian . That's a really good effort; I'd be a little bit concerned about the longevity of the cardboard dividers but I imagine that they are easily enough replaced. Fundamentally, if these are for static storage, I think they work really well.

I see you've worked out how bloody useful those chopping mats are; I only bought mine at the end of the shotgun case project and I really am kicking myself I didn't buy one years ago.

This is how I tackle the pocket watch problem:

The picture was taken a while ago and following the recent acquisition of a Cyma GSTP I think I've probably run out of space (extra holes have already been picked out of the foam) so this whole area needs a re-think. Mind you, I do have a second Peli that has a virginal middle section.

3 or 4? Yeah, right. Given the direction that you're pointing in at the moment I'd say between 6 and 12.

I like the Peli-case foam solutions - very straightforward and practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    3 or 4? Yeah, right. Given the direction that you're pointing in at the moment I'd say between 6 and 12.
    Ha ha!

I'm still green enough to think I only 'need' one more...every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I keep coming back to this one; I think a pocket watch with the Stop2Go movement would be the perfect Mondaine.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I keep coming back to this one; I think a pocket watch with the Stop2Go movement would be the perfect Mondaine.
    Agreed, the extra thickness of a decent S to G movement would be acceptable in a pocket watch format, stick an alarm in it to and you're sorted for a travel watch.

Very inventive, Ian. They look great.