closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I think Garmin are on to a winner (with the new quickfit strap)

Craftsman

I think Garmin are on to a winner (with the new quickfit strap)

After wearing the Fenix 5 straight for a few days, I can vouch for the comfort of their silicone straps.

I decided to try one on my Shogun in place of the Isofrane I had on it. It wears great; light and comfy. Wasn't very keen on the green but black works nicely.

The snap fit of the straps is something other strap makers need to take on board in my opinion. Strap change in seconds! What do you think, quickfit system the way forward?

Last edited by electorn; 29th April 2017 at 07:49.

I think the blue one looks great!

Craftsman
    I have the 3HR and agree on the silicone straps. They are really supple and extremely comfortable to wear. I'm really happy with my 3 but the slightly more refined shape of the 5 is tempting me to change up.

Dont like the dimpled effect on the straps.

Interesting

Craftsman
    Sorry guys, I should have made myself clear - I meant the attachment system rather than the style of the strap. The style is a personal thing, the quickfit attachment system is brilliant in my view and I think more strap makers should look at making something similar. It save a ton of messing about with spring bar tools.

Master
    Its got to be than fiddling with wretched spring bars!
    However, the important thing is that springbars are more or less universal such that (almost) any strap/bracelet fits any watch of the right size, so any other system, no matter how much better it is, would have to be adopted by everyone to be truly useful - otherwise the choice would be severely restricted.

Great idea and I agree quick release straps seem really obvious but not many people use them. One of the reasons I nearly bought a Nomos Metro was the QR spring bars. Well that's one of the ways I justified it to myself, anyway.

Master
    I had a Cartier roadster chrono which had a quick change system for braceket/straps. I never felt confident with it, indeed the watch almost came off when skiing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Its got to be than fiddling with wretched spring bars!
    However, the important thing is that springbars are more or less universal such that (almost) any strap/bracelet fits any watch of the right size, so any other system, no matter how much better it is, would have to be adopted by everyone to be truly useful - otherwise the choice would be severely restricted.
    Doesn't it just fit on normal spring bars - isn't that's what's on the Seiko?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Doesn't it just fit on normal spring bars - isn't that's what's on the Seiko?
    I think it must do - but presumably once the new style attachments are on, they wouldn't ever need removing. So in principle its saves hassle.

Craftsman
    See photo below. Spring bars stay in place, pull back a tap on the back of strap, hook strap over the spring bar, release tab and job done. I don't think that is going anywhere, it seems really sturdy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    After wearing the Fenix 5 straight for a few days, I can vouch for the comfort of their silicone straps.[/IMG]
    Hi,

I'm also looking at the Fenix 5. Is that the sapphire version you have? How do you like it?

On the straps.... can you use "normal" straps with this watch or is there some reason you can't like the springbars being too thick or something?

Thanks.

Couldn't someone come up with quick release spring bars which could be fitted to any or at least most watches?

What's wrong with normal quick change spring bar straps?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg View Post
    Nothing wrong with them at all. I just like the fact that the new Garmin strap does away with removing the spring bar, it stays in place. No more worries about scratching the case or lugs, just hook the strap on release the clip and your off. To my mind it also should be a more secure attachment since you aren't compressing the springs in the spring bar constantly during the strap change.

Quote Originally Posted by spluurfg View Post

Aha, I didn't know these could be retro fitted to a normal strap. Do you have to just make a hole for the lever? I suppose it still wouldn't work with a bracelet though which is what I'd want the ease of changing....