closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is it even remotely possible that a cheap Rolex on gum tree could be real.

Is it even remotely possible that a cheap Rolex on gum tree could be real.

There are many priced between 100-150. Details usually say quick sale, blah balh blah.

Is it ever possible that some numpty does not know its value and is selling a family heirloom for cheap?

Master
    Of course it is possible. Is it probable, I highly doubt it. If they wanted to move it on quicky, they'd use ebay due to the far higher traffic, but then they'd get caught out for selling fakes and would have the money refunded.

Blog Entries
    Yes it is possible.

But your chances of finding a legit watch are absurdly low. You're probably more likely to be struck by lightning.

If you feel lucky, why not. Let us know how you get on.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 28th April 2017 at 16:12.

Of course it's possible.
    It's also possible that I might win the lottery this weekend.
    Let us know if you get lucky.

Could even be stolen, those watches in raids have to be sold off somewhere.

Yes, it is extremely likely.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman
    Don't know so much these days, but in years past I have picked up two genuine Breitling Colt Quartz watches for less than £300 each from gumtree.

I have a suggestion to the OP. Why not invest, say, £10,000 and aim to buy several dozen of them. That should shorten the odds of getting that pukka bargain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I have a suggestion to the OP. Why not invest, say, £10,000 and aim to buy several dozen of them. That should shorten the odds of getting that pukka bargain.
    And if not you'd still have a totes amaze balls collection of fakes, less fifty shades of grey and more one hundred kinds of snide.

Master

Is it even remotely possible that a cheap Rolex on gum tree could be real.

From your latest posts it seems like you are in a bit of a hurry to buy a cheap Rolex.
    Rolex is probably the most faked watch brand out there and some of these fakes are really good. The internet has a wealth of information and it is quite easy for everyone to put a price on their Rolex even if they have no idea about watches. So I would probably say that pretty much no one would offer a genuine sport Rolex for £100. Even if someone did you would have to be an expert of the brand to pick it out of the rest of the fakes that are out there. My suggestion would be to save a bit more and buy from a source that guarantees authenticity.

Ps: a lot of the good fakes are selling for £600...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Remember someone on here getting a genuine Rolex GMT from a boot sale for £20 lucky so and so.

- - - Updated - - -

Remember someone on here getting a genuine Rolex GMT from a boot sale for £20 lucky so and so.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
    There are many priced between 100-150. Details usually say quick sale, blah balh blah.

Is it ever possible that some numpty does not know its value and is selling a family heirloom for cheap?
    Do you mean the Daytona for £1250?

no ...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post

If they can access Gumtree they can access the rest of the internet and find out the likely value of anything.
    The only numpty involved would be the buyer.
    Can't believe you are actually serious .

I looked on Gumtree a couple of times and remember a great spiel from a woman selling the 'beloved Rolex' of her 'cheating scumbag' husband who had run off with his girlfriend leaving her desperately short of readies hence £1k blah blah.

One of those a fortnight would be a nice little earner.

OP, really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    just getting my post count up

NO!!!!!!!!

mike

Master
    Not very likely in this instant information age, most people can take a bit of time and work out a fair price for their Rolex. There may be some older people who can't use the internet but I'd feel bad ripping them off, I'd offer a fair price.

Master
    Surely even someone stupid would try a pawn shop first?

Craftsman
    Why would anybody legit and in their right mind sell a genuine Rolex for £100 or thereabouts?

Chances are slim to none and if it's too good to be true....

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Chances are slim to none and if it's too good to be true....
    ...there's one born every minute!

Examples do pop up from time to time of rare vintage finds as exampled above with the WW2 watch.

Modern subs and datejusts etc with boxes are never going to be sold cheap.

Tudors are a more of possibility but still in the one in a million sort of range. The ethics of this are pretty questionable. It is hard to see how you are not seeking to take advantage of someone else's innocence,stupidity or even illness.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    Tudors are a more of possibility but still in the one in a million sort of range. The ethics of this are pretty questionable. It is hard to see how you are not seeking to take advantage of someone else's innocence,stupidity or even illness.
    Quite.

Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    I think it's more likely to be someone trying to take advantage of the buyer's stupidity! And greed of course.

Sure everything is possible but i would'n bet my money on it; Last i found a vintage pre moon omega speedmaster on a auction (ck2998-5) the auctioneer had no clue on what he was selling because they started a from zero. finally i did not have the balls on placing a bit highter than 6000 euro's. The omega got sold finally for that amount a complete bargain. U can find my story and the proof of my telling on www.horlogeforum.nl. Zo barnfind still existst.
    http://www.horlogeforum.nl/t/nu-te-v...ck-2998/102771

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan88 View Post
    If the seller can't spell 'vial' then you really have to wonder about the authenticity of the poo...

There was a time when daft threads like this were strangled at birth with "Buy the seller, not the watch".

Apprentice
    Surely this would be more possible with a different make, pretty sure ever one knows they are on to a winner if they inherit a Rolex

Master
    I replied to a gumtree ad for a BLNR for sale for 2k as the buyer just needed to sell quickly. He told me it was a 2008 watch. Duh..... Not even an average intelligence scammer. Ad now removed. Shocker.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    People with who inherit watches usually think they are worth more than they are. No one thinks they are worth 5% of the true value.

Master
    I am staggered by the number of counterfeit "Rolex" watches for sale on Gumtree. I have reported sellers. Sometimes - not always - the listing is taken down. No attempt to ban or sanction the lister who appears with the same listing sometimes a matter of hours later. I have pointed out that selling fakes is a criminal offence but Gumtree don't seem concerned enough to ban people doing it.

There are also the "too good to be true" priced frauds. Again, I have reported these, some with links to sites from where images and descriptions have been stolen. Many of those listings are just left up there for some poor sap to get ripped off. The description "it was a gift so no idea if it's real or not" is nonsense when you have the internet at your fingertips and a jeweller on every high street.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Justmuller View Post
    Surely this would be more possible with a different make, pretty sure ever one knows they are on to a winner if they inherit a Rolex
    Absolutely, especially the models with the clear case or engraved design back!

My "favourite" was someone listing a watch with "Day Date" on the dial - but no day display!
    Last edited by David_D; 30th April 2017 at 13:56. Reason: typo

Master
    Reminded of some twonk IT project managers I occasionally said hello to at a hotel I stay in ( full of expats).

They had been to Abu Dhabi for a few days and come back. One was bragging about his new Rolex "Submarine" being identical to the real thing.

Another twonk I met once in a bus ; notice my monaco and proceeded to tell me how he has every watch brand imaginable and how much he loved watches.
    Not for him the knock offs he only bought high quality "first copies" that were as good as the real thing.

Snobbery amongst knock off watch collectors seems like the most redundant thing in the universe. Its like poo eaters being snobby about whether they had a sweetcorn kernal in their last snack or not.

Master
    A guy in work was so proud of his fake Tag (I never saw the watch so don't know the model). He told me how it only cost £250, and apart from an anti-relflective sapphire crystal and blued movement screws (both of which he could have fitted for another £200), even a Tag technician could'nt tell the difference between it and the real thing. When I told him he could have a genuine Hamilton, Steinhart, Prometheus, Dagaz, Seiko Presage, Tissot, etc etc etc for the same or less, he was completely nonplussed, and could'nt understand why he'd want one of those when he could have a fake Tag. The slightly puzzling thing for me was the fact that he obviously had a little bit of knowledge knowing about anti-reflective sapphire, blued screws etc, hopefully it's only a hiccup on his watch journey.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Not for him the knock offs he only bought high quality "first copies" that were as good as the real thing.
    Hahahahaha! That's not just snobbery; it's delusion. ;-)

Master
    Facebook now has a market place. Check it out there. Countless Rolex can be had for £45 etc! It's almost funny

Master
    When I'm travelling to more exotic locations I check out the little hole in the wall watch sellers.

I'm always hoping that I'll find something nice that the seller isn't aware of. Probably not a Rolex or Omega but maybe something not quite so well known : Doxa , Hamilton , Bulova kind of thing.

This is of course completely delusional and I have never found anything close to this. Once I found an ancient ladies tiny omega that looked like it was corroded solid. It actually looked like it had been through the digestion system of a cow.

This is a bit like thinking if you go into a scrap yard you'll find a nearly mint ferrari ...that they don't know the value of.