closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My late father's Seiko 6309

Journeyman

My late father's Seiko 6309

Unfortunately my father passed away this week. He wanted me to have his seiko diver as it had sentimental value to him (plus he pawned his datejust years ago :-( ). As such it holds a good deal of sentimental value to me.

My dad was actually an avid scuba diver so as a child we spent most weekends in the summer at the coast while he went of diving with his mates. This watch was taken diving all over the world on diving holidays too.

It is also the watch that gave me an interest in watches and diver watches in the first place leading to me starting my own collection.

Unfortunately it is not in the best shape. It needs a good clean up and has a lovely patina that reflects its years of use. The watch has its crown but is missing its stem. I really want to get it fixed and back in to service so I can enjoy wearing it.

A couple of questions;

does anyone know of anyone that they would recommend to repair and service the watch at a fair price (just movement, seal etc)? I'm based in Wokingham in Berkshire but also travel to central London a few times a week.

How can I date the watch? I know these were made for a number of years and would be interested to know. I'm guessing it is early to mid 80s.

Sorry about the crap pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear the sad news.

Both Duncan (Thewatchbloke) and Olli (.olli.) on here are both well recommended.

You can date it here:

http://www.watchsleuth.com/seikodate...&serial=731746

Lovely looking watch that will clean up nicely, I'm going to date it earlier, March 1977 , however it could be 1987 as the production stopped in 1988. Looks earlier though.
    The first number of the serial is the year in a decade and the second number is the month.
    Duncan would do a great job on it.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    I would say definitely March 1977 because it was made in Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by derek_faker View Post
    I would say definitely March 1977 because it was made in Japan.

Indeed.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Duncan, as others have said. He's my preferred choice for vintage Seiko.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Lovely watches and great timekeepers. These were often the first choice for divers.
    Has the crown unscrewed from the stem or is the stem broken inside it ?
    If the latter you'll need a new crown as well.
    The glasses shrink a little with age but can be polished if not being used for diving.
    Brendan.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Master
    So sorry for your loss, as said Duncan will bring it back to life.
    Priceless.

Sorry for your loss.
    This is a priceless watch as other have said. Good luck with the restoration.

Master
    Great plan to restore it to working order as something to remember your dad by, but don't clean it up too much, if at all!! Looks great in its patinaed state and it will remind you more of your Dad if it looks how you remember it.

Duncan - definitely. He tends to be very busy though, so get it onto his bench queue ASAP.

Journeyman
    Thanks all for your kind words and assistance seems like my dad must have bought the watch in his early twenties then.

I'm def gonna leave it in its patinated state, just get rid of some of the grime that it has gathered in his desk drawer.

I'm not sure about the crown, if it is unscrewed or snapped off. I haven't opened the case back but looks like the stem is missing.

I remember my Dad says he took it to be repaired once before but he thought it seemed expensive and I'm guessing that due to his poor health he never got around to it.

I'll drop Duncan a line.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    That will look lovely after a good service and a new crystal.

Another vote for Duncan

As others have said, have the dirt removed but keep it as close to original as you possibly can as that's how your Dad wore it.

Really so sorry to hear of your loss.

Sorry for your loss.

On ebay there is a item where all seikos are serviced and repaired for £59. Well worth a try.

Journeyman
    Sorry to read of your loss. Hopefully you'll have it fixed up and running well soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
    Sorry for your loss.

On ebay there is a item where all seikos are serviced and repaired for £59. Well worth a try.
    I am not sure I would trust a 'watchmaker' advertising on eBay to look after a much loved watch with sentimental value. Especially if offering to do a complete service for less than 60 quid. You get what you pay for in my experience.
    I too would send it to Duncan 'the watch bloke'
    He is in your area and he does top notch work.

John

Sorry for your loss.

I've seen that type of offering and would avoid like the plague. This watch needs to go to someone like Duncan.

Sorry for your loss.

No it isn't. Not helpful for a watch of irreplaceable sentimental value . The best man for the job has been recommended to the OP based on numerous first rate jobs completed for members of this forum. Plus he's a real vintage Seiko fan.

Blog Entries
    Sorry for your loss.

Apart from the people mentioned already, I can recommend Richard Askham (Richie_101 here on the forum) and here: http://thewatchspotblog.com

Menno

Journeyman
    Thanks everyone I'm going with one of the recommendations mentioned in this thread.

I'll post a picture of the results in a few weeks time.

Journeyman
    PS anyone have any recommendation for a period correct strap, I'm guessing rubber. Maybe isofrane but wasn't sure whether there are any new old stock Seiko straps kicking around.

The watch definitely looks like a March 77 rather than March 87, It has the Suwa symbol and pronounced bevel edges on the date, both the features are on watches around 1980 or earlier.

I would get someone like Duncan to restore this, that Patina on the dial is lovely and it will be a very desirable watch when restored, albeit you won't want to let it go.

I think the genuine strap for this is the Seiko GL-831, however I think they are scarce and can be pricy, if you want a similar strap for everyday wear WatchGecko do a Bonetto Cinturini strap which is a good impression of the GL-831.

https://www.watchgecko.com/bonetto-c...atch-strap.php
    Last edited by nibby; 27th April 2017 at 23:41.

Another vote for Duncan here - with the added bonus that he is about 25 minutes drive from your location

P.S. Just so you know, Citizen's UK service centre is on Molly Millar's Lane, if you have any of those!

Used to live in Wokingham myself, and worked there one summer.

Best of luck with the restoration. Hopefully you can find somewhere that will restore sympathetically.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanusrjm View Post
    PS anyone have any recommendation for a period correct strap, I'm guessing rubber. Maybe isofrane but wasn't sure whether there are any new old stock Seiko straps kicking around.

This is very much personal view but although I have a few vintage and modern Seiko divers I'm not a fan of Seiko rubber. On the other hand my lovely vintage 6105 lives on a rubber NATO made by Alex, who trades as Yellow Dog Straps, and I've just ordered a similar one for the 6217 that recently joined my collection. They are beautifully made to order with your choice of stitching colour and extremely good value as well as comfortable to wear.

See www.yellowdogwatchstraps.com

I may have to ask Duncan if I can join the end of the queue, I've a couple of 6309's that are decidedly unhappy!!

John

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm sorry to hear about your father. But with all its marks of a proper diving life, what a lovely watch you have to remind you of him. Do show us how it looks when you have had it serviced.

Best wishes

Jon

I live in Wokingham as well. A new place called orawatch just opposite the m&s car park opened about a year ago. Never tried them but have used Duncan before.

http://orawatch.co.uk/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    So sorry to hear and I know the pain having only just lost my (very active, working and fit) father so suddenly Easter Sunday.

Its very tough, not good.

Paul

Craftsman
    Sorry for your loss, lovely watch.

I would get it serviced and internally repaired, with a new crystal, but I would leave everything else the same. Those marks were made by your dad, they're important to the story of the watch. I look forward to seeing it on wrist.

Blog Entries
    What a fantastic watch to keep as a reminder of your Dad! I'm really sorry to hear how you're ending up acquiring it but with some tlc it's going to be a real keeper. To the OP I'd agree and go with the guys recommendations of gents who are on the forum rather than outside sources like eBay -
    Best of luck with the restoration , it makes my day to see seiko divers with real history carrying on - please let us see the finished article even with your "crappy" pics

Colin

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by nibby View Post
    The watch definitely looks like a March 77 rather than March 87, It has the Suwa symbol and pronounced bevel edges on the date, both the features are on watches around 1980 or earlier.

I would get someone like Duncan to restore this, that Patina on the dial is lovely and it will be a very desirable watch when restored, albeit you won't want to let it go.

I think the genuine strap for this is the Seiko GL-831, however I think they are scarce and can be pricy, if you want a similar strap for everyday wear WatchGecko do a Bonetto Cinturini strap which is a good impression of the GL-831.

https://www.watchgecko.com/bonetto-c...atch-strap.php
    Thanks Nibby, I shall check out the straps

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    This is very much personal view but although I have a few vintage and modern Seiko divers I'm not a fan of Seiko rubber. On the other hand my lovely vintage 6105 lives on a rubber NATO made by Alex, who trades as Yellow Dog Straps, and I've just ordered a similar one for the 6217 that recently joined my collection. They are beautifully made to order with your choice of stitching colour and extremely good value as well as comfortable to wear.

See www.yellowdogwatchstraps.com
    Thanks I'll have a look!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    I live in Wokingham as well. A new place called orawatch just opposite the m&s car park opened about a year ago. Never tried them but have used Duncan before.

http://orawatch.co.uk/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Interestingly I tried them out once before, just to change the battery in my jacques mayol seamaster, they seemed pretty decent. I recommended them to a mate who had an auto watch (I think it was an Ingersol) that had stopped. He had been quoted more than the watch was worth to have it repaired at the manufacturer. ORA said it was a minor fix and did it for £20.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    So sorry to hear and I know the pain having only just lost my (very active, working and fit) father so suddenly Easter Sunday.

Its very tough, not good.

Paul
    Sorry to hear that Paul and thanks for your words of support.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    What a fantastic watch to keep as a reminder of your Dad! I'm really sorry to hear how you're ending up acquiring it but with some tlc it's going to be a real keeper. To the OP I'd agree and go with the guys recommendations of gents who are on the forum rather than outside sources like eBay -
    Best of luck with the restoration , it makes my day to see seiko divers with real history carrying on - please let us see the finished article even with your "crappy" pics

Colin

Thanks Colin, I've been in contact with both Olli and Duncan who come highly recommended both seem excellent to deal with, professional and knowledgeable. Will use Duncan as he is very local to me.

Pleased to have record all the words of assistance and encouragement. Also for all the knowledge that people have kindly shared.

I'll make an effort to take some proper before and after pics in better light

James

When I asked Duncan the very same question he pointed me to the DAL1BP and I think he's right. They can be bought from Seiya Japan for around the £30 mark. Here's the one I sold just a few weeks ago:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=dal1bp

Blog Entries
    Wearing a Seiko on a rubber strap is - as said- personal. I don't like them on my wrist. Despite the fact that it 'completes' the picture so to speak. I always wear them on a nato, but lately I came across these: http://erikasoriginals.com/

Worth a try; very comfortabel. And period correct too when it's about the looks.

Menno

Sorry to hear about your father, Deanusrjm. It's not a fun time.

After I lost my father last year, Duncan turned his daily wearer from this:-

to this:-

It now comes out of the watch box on a regularly basis.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear about your Dad...

As for straps... I really like mine on a bracelet, the big chunky Seiko straps don't really do it for me

But, again, it's a personal choice

Looking forward to see it being sprung back to life!

Blog Entries
    Astounded doesn't even come close, what an amazing restoration job - I think the OP is going to be one happy 6309 owner eventually

Blog Entries
    I prefer bracelets and a bit of NATO for a momentary change - It may not be historically accurate to the watch model but if those chunky rubber straps are an issue - someone mentioned watchgecko do some softer Zulu styles

https://www.watchgecko.com/rubber-watch-straps

Sorry for your loss.

Have you used this service? Do they pressure test and replace all gaskets at that price aswell? If you haven't used the service how can you recommend it as worth a try, especially on a watch with such significance to the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I may have to ask Duncan if I can join the end of the queue, I've a couple of 6309's that are decidedly unhappy!!

John

I'm not sure if you are aware already but only the dial on the left is an original. Everything else looks aftermarket to me there, so I'm advising not to throw any more money at them. Sell them to someone and then buy an actual 6309 would be my course of action.

Unfortunately my father passed away this week. He wanted me to have his seiko diver as it had sentimental value to him (plus he pawned his datejust years ago :-( ). As such it holds a good deal of sentimental value to me.

My dad was actually an avid scuba diver so as a child we spent most weekends in the summer at the coast while he went of diving with his mates. This watch was taken diving all over the world on diving holidays too.

It is also the watch that gave me an interest in watches and diver watches in the first place leading to me starting my own collection.

Unfortunately it is not in the best shape. It needs a good clean up and has a lovely patina that reflects its years of use. The watch has its crown but is missing its stem. I really want to get it fixed and back in to service so I can enjoy wearing it.

A couple of questions;

does anyone know of anyone that they would recommend to repair and service the watch at a fair price (just movement, seal etc)? I'm based in Wokingham in Berkshire but also travel to central London a few times a week.

How can I date the watch? I know these were made for a number of years and would be interested to know. I'm guessing it is early to mid 80s.

Sorry about the crap pictures

The use of the prominent Suwa logo on the dial under the water 150M text would mean this watch can't be any later than around 1981 (ish). The production change around that time and would lead to a change in the text on the dial, leaving the Suwa logo only very small in the dial code text below the 6 o'clock marker. The caseback should also have Japan marked on the caseback for these early Suwa versions which sure enough yours does. Yours also has the crown that has the larger spacing on the ridges and these are only found in the late 70s, very rarely on early 80s 7548s and 6309s.

Your watch looks great and over on SCWF there are a good few people who could service it and make sure it's treated with the respect it deserves. It shouldn't cost too much to replace the stem and the watch can be sealed fairly easily aslong as there are no serious issues with pitting to the caseback or crystal gasket metals housing. Yours will look great with a replacement crystal and it looks to have not suffered water ingress, however the caseback looks a little like it is gunged up. These crystals aren't originals but often replacements made my Spencer Klein or Crystal Times. Originals are hard to find and I wouldn't bother looking as it's impossible to tell the difference, particularly with the Spencer Klein versions.

Duncan will do a great job as usual and will pressure test it with his normal guarantee, many don't go near the water with these anymore, which is understandable, but if you intend to wear it more often than not and tend to swim or dive etc, I would make sure you are positive the seals are good every year and avoid showering with it as I believe the heat change can degrade the gaskets that much quicker.

All the best with it and I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
    Last edited by Bodo; 1st May 2017 at 13:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

WOW.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear that Paul and thanks for your words of support.

Thank you and it is lovely to have something close to them to keep.

Enjoy

Paul

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post
    Have you used this service? Do they pressure test and replace all gaskets at that price aswell? If you haven't used the service how can you recommend it as worth a try, especially on a watch with such significance to the OP.

I'm not sure if you are aware already but only the dial on the left is an original. Everything else looks aftermarket to me there, so I'm advising not to throw any more money at them. Sell them to someone and then buy an actual 6309 would be my course of action.

The use of the prominent Suwa logo on the dial under the water 150M text would mean this watch can't be any later than around 1981 (ish). The production change around that time and would lead to a change in the text on the dial, leaving the Suwa logo only very small in the dial code text below the 6 o'clock marker. The caseback should also have Japan marked on the caseback for these early Suwa versions which sure enough yours does. Yours also has the crown that has the larger spacing on the ridges and these are only found in the late 70s, very rarely on early 80s 7548s and 6309s.

Your watch looks great and over on SCWF there are a good few people who could service it and make sure it's treated with the respect it deserves. It shouldn't cost too much to replace the stem and the watch can be sealed fairly easily aslong as there are no serious issues with pitting to the caseback or crystal gasket metals housing. Yours will look great with a replacement crystal and it looks to have not suffered water ingress, however the caseback looks a little like it is gunged up. These crystals aren't originals but often replacements made my Spencer Klein or Crystal Times. Originals are hard to find and I wouldn't bother looking as it's impossible to tell the difference, particularly with the Spencer Klein versions.

Duncan will do a great job as usual and will pressure test it with his normal guarantee, many don't go near the water with these anymore, which is understandable, but if you intend to wear it more often than not and tend to swim or dive etc, I would make sure you are positive the seals are good every year and avoid showering with it as I believe the heat change can degrade the gaskets that much quicker.

All the best with it and I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
    Thanks for all the details that help to date the watch and also for your kind words.

It needs new crown and stem, will be serviced, get the original spec fat spring bars, replacement crystal, new gasket, clean up (not polish lol) and Seiko DALIP strap.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Sorry to hear about your Dad...

As for straps... I really like mine on a bracelet, the big chunky Seiko straps don't really do it for me

But, again, it's a personal choice

Looking forward to see it being sprung back to life!

Thanks Wolfie, I'm going to start with a Seiko rubber strap. Looks great on the bracelet as well.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post

Thanks Gyp. Sorry to hear about your father.

I'm amazed to see the job that Duncan has done for you. The watch looks stunning.

Thanks for all the details that help to date the watch and also for your kind words.

It needs new crown and stem, will be serviced, get the original spec fat spring bars, replacement crystal, new gasket, clean up (not polish lol) and Seiko DALIP strap.

Sounds good. Although you shouldn't need to replace the crown, the stem will screw into the crown and if you still have the male portion of the stem and the longer female part is missing then you'll just need that. It's coupled together with a spring and a small washer. The crown gasket is easily replaced. Reason I am saying this is because of the large spline crown of yours is correct for the watch so a stem change should be all that is necessary. Unless of course the threading inside the crown is ruined which caused the stem to come away in its entirety?

Keep us informed with how you get on! :)