closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Billy Monger

Master

Billy Monger

If you've watched the accident video, featured in most of the press on Monday/Tuesday, then you should donate. He's now lost both legs at just 17.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfund...term=Wv8EkwjRM

Awful - was watching and you just knew it was bad.

Master
    Terrible news for the young lad, lets hope that's the very worst of it, apparently he's still in a critical but stable condition
    best of luck to him for the future

I was watching on TV and instantly felt queasy seeing the accident

hats off to all the medical staff and marshals at Donington
    Last edited by Tuna1138; 19th April 2017 at 20:26.

Sad news - watched the crash.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I saw the footage - absolutely horrific and had no chance.

I have had the good fortune to read Alex Zanardi's autobiography and he can have no better idol to help in the dark and tough days ahead.

What a terrible thing to happen to anybody, let alone a youngster trying to make a career in racing.

I watched the crash transmitted on live tv, and it was sickening. Autosport are reporting that Billy is in an induced coma following the surgery to amputate both legs below the knee, and his condition is reported as "critical but stable".

Along with anybody else who loves motor racing, I can only hope that he makes as good a recovery as possible, and I'll be making a donation to the fund set up to help him:

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfund...?utm_id=66&amp

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    What a terrible thing to happen to anybody, let alone a youngster trying to make a career in racing.
    This.

It's truly sad. Poor lad.

A youngster chasing his dream - sad, sad news. I heard about this when I was at Silverstone for the WEC, I watched the video then and don't really feel the need to see it again.

Donation made, and I wish him and his family well.

Edit - over £300k donated in total already!
    Last edited by CardShark; 20th April 2017 at 00:16.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    horrific crash, at least he is young and has survived this, hopefully with help he can overcome his disability's.

Horrific for this to happen to such a young lad with big dreams ahead of him. Hope that F1 and the whole racing community dig deep and donate generously.

Craftsman
    Jees that's horrific, poor kid

Over £460k now

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    A youngster chasing his dream - sad, sad news. I heard about this when I was at Silverstone for the WEC, I watched the video then and don't really feel the need to see it again.

Donation made, and I wish him and his family well.
    Similar - I watched the video after the crash was mentioned on the F1 thread here and have no desire to watch it again.
    Donated.

It reminded me of the Johnny Herbert crash at Brands - except worse.

I am confident that we will see more of Monger in the future. He does not strike me as someone who will give up as a result - made of stronger stuff (I hope)

Donated

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I was at the race on Sunday but didn't see the crash. They were telling us very little over the circuit PA so we were pretty much unaware of the seriousness of the incident until we walked around from Redgate and saw the vehicles surrounding the crash, followed by the helicopter landing.

It's a terrible shame to happen to anyone but especially heart wrenching for such a young driver starting out. From the radio interview with JHR's boss, it sounds like he's a very positive person.

A telling reminder, should we actually need one that motorsport is indeed dangerous and marshalls do a sterling job (for free) and the marshalls who were at the scene will also need some support and counselling as I'm sure nothing would have prepared them for what they witnessed. Hats off to 'em.

Link: Billy Monger back behind a steering wheel

The Formula 4 racer returned to the track with the assistance of Team BRIT, which helps disabled drivers and injured servicemen to compete in motorsport.

He said: "It's been really good just to get back behind the wheel.

And he added: "Team BRIT have got two steering wheels for me to try out today.

"I've decided which one I prefer, now it's just about perfecting the technique."

Billy Monger hails 'surreal' podium finish on British F3 debut:

Billy Monger says his third-place finish in the opening race of the British F3 championship at Oulton Park was "surreal".

The 18-year-old had both his legs amputated after a crash last year.

He was driving a specially adapted Tatuus Cosworth car, which has a throttle on its steering wheel and a single pedal for braking with his prosthetic leg.

"It's a bit surreal but an awesome feeling even to be back," he said.

"If you had told me that I'd have been on the podium first race of the year, I would probably have said you were lying to me.

"To get out there and prove I'm competitive is more than I could have ever have asked for."

^^^ I've just logged on to post the very same.

Unfortunately it was just a one race weekend deal, I do hope that he gets some backing and a seat for the rest of this season and possibly beyond.

To be able to judge braking force with a prosthetic leg is quite incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    ^^^ I've just logged on to post the very same.

Unfortunately it was just a one race weekend deal, I do hope that he gets some backing and a seat for the rest of this season and possibly beyond.

To be able to judge braking force with a prosthetic leg is quite incredible.

I hadn't realised that. As the car was modified I supposed that there were more races on the cards. Let's hope that something works out for him.

You'd think that with the resources put behind getting a car adapted would mean that there would be more than a single weekend. Billy was racing for Carlin, each team is only allowed a maximum of 3 cars however Billy was the 4th after the team were given special dispensation to run an additional car just for him. From the relatively little I know of the category Carlin are one of the best teams on the grid, sadly I can't see other teams being too happy should the 4th car stay considering how successful he's been.

I think it may be a one event deal. He's on the grid for the 2nd race at 09:50 on Monday...pdf link...and there's a third race at 14:40.

Some recent news... .

I hope he's part of the C4 team at Monaco this coming weekend!

I've just found that he has started a YouTube channel. Only one video so far, but it's pretty decent (a blog about his race at Paul Ricard). Refreshingly, he hasn't been turned into a corporate droid by corporate media advisers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2DRYs6vdfg