closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another (?) 'watch for the trouble and strife' thread...

Another (?) 'watch for the trouble and strife' thread...

I realise I'll be hung drawn and quartered for this...so here goes nothing!

Im budgeting c.£5k but only on the basis that it won't loose 50% of its value the moment she wears it. Must be automatic, no yellow gold, white/white face and preferably some diamonds. Nearly new is also OK if full set.

My research is telling me that Datejust is probably the best bet, but she also likes Omega deville.

Am I missing anything?

Does she know her brands, couldn't you show her something nice on the Sekonda or Rotary counter. Argos also have a nice selection

Journeyman
    I got mine a datejust when we got engaged which she loves. Probably going to get her a Nomos for Christmas as a more casual alternative. She saw me looking at their website yesterday and spontaneously commented on how she would like one of them, which was strikingly different to the sighs I usually get looking at watch websites.
    You may be looking for something a bit more dressy though

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Get her to pick something she likes. Seriously. I would be horrified if someone spent 5K on a watch for me and it wasn't something I'd chosen. She'll be much happier with a £500 fashion watch from the high street that she loves, than a 5K Rolex that you like. Sad but true.

If she likes Omega DeVilles, then maybe look at Constellations as well? I looked at them for my wife a while back. Loads of pretty combinations with diamonds, interesting dials etc. Also decent movement and brand. I've seen a fair few on female wrists since and they always look good.

Only you know how well you know her taste. If you pick right without asking her I'm sure she will appreciate it.

Journeyman
    I bought my wife and 31mm datejust with silver dial and diamond markers for her 40th. I bought it from Ian Blowers and had them swap the jubilee for an oyster bracelet. She had never really been into watches but loves it.

How about the white Fifty Fathoms?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    I realise I'll be hung drawn and quartered for this...so here goes nothing!

Im budgeting c.£5k but only on the basis that it won't loose 50% of its value the moment she wears it. Must be automatic, no yellow gold, white/white face and preferably some diamonds. Nearly new is also OK if full set.

My research is telling me that Datejust is probably the best bet, but she also likes Omega deville.

Am I missing anything?
    I'd take her around the AD's and let her try them on or if you are near a big WOS so much the better. They'll normally furnish you with some bubbly as well.
    My wife ended up with a TAG Aquaracer and loves it. She didn't want the ladies Aqua Terra and thinks Rolexes are for the elderly. So that's what she wanted and that's what she got. I'd have got it wrong and bought the Aqua Terra.
    Ladies watches massively depreciate so you're on a losing wicket on that one. You could buy pre loved of course but some ladies don't want that.
    A lot of woman really don't see the point of mechanical watches and just want to pick something up that has a nice case work some diamond bling and keeps ticking. Hence most brands other than Rolex push Quartz in ladies ranges. Keeps the pricing down to £1500-£2k. Bear in mind that the Fellows auctions have heaps of ladies Datejust going for that as well.

Unless she is a watch person she won't give a toss. Probably prefer whatever is trending in the latest magazines...buy her a Michael Kors and keep the balance for your grail fund...

or Breguet Reine de Naples...

Or with £5k Cartier Tank Francaise bi-metal

Craftsman
    My Mrs has a mid size Cartier Santos, tried to convince her to go for a Rolex but she didn't get on with them. In the end had to remind myself it was her watch not mine, still a lot of money for a quartz watch!

Cheers
    Rory

Many moons ago my other half wanted a nice wrist watch, I suggested the usual suspects, she chose a gold plated Raymond Weil, she still wears it, saved me a small fortune.

From the brief I would also consider the white Chanel ceramic models (or a Tag Heuer which has copied the style most successfully). The most important factor is that your wife likes it.

However, I would not dream of spending near £5k on one of these. If you looking to spend that sort of money the safest bets are:
    (1) Rolex (preferably a gents size)
    (2) Cartier tank or JLC Reverso - in quartz - this is my wife's choice
    (3) A vintage ladies nautilus. Yep. These are available under £5k, just accept that you wife is going to have a 'better' watch than you.

Blimey, some great advice there, thanks! It's going to take a while to digest all that!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Does she know her brands, couldn't you show her something nice on the Sekonda or Rotary counter. Argos also have a nice selection
    LOL! I've tried that. She knows enough that I wouldn't get away with anything from Argos...unfortunately!

Quote Originally Posted by Iano View Post
    I got mine a datejust when we got engaged which she loves. Probably going to get her a Nomos for Christmas as a more casual alternative. She saw me looking at their website yesterday and spontaneously commented on how she would like one of them, which was strikingly different to the sighs I usually get looking at watch websites.
    You may be looking for something a bit more dressy though

Which Datejust did you go for?
    Love nomos, but looking for something a bit more shiny.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Get her to pick something she likes. Seriously. I would be horrified if someone spent 5K on a watch for me and it wasn't something I'd chosen. She'll be much happier with a £500 fashion watch from the high street that she loves, than a 5K Rolex that you like. Sad but true.
    Definitely agree. This isn't going to be a grand surprise, unfortunately.

Journeyman
    If you assume that she will keep it for the next 20 years or more then initial loss of value will be irrelevant.
    The hard part is to pick a watch that will appeal for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Which Datejust did you go for?
    Love nomos, but looking for something a bit more shiny.
    Well, I got her an all steel model with oyster bracelet and Arabic markers, something like a 279160. Slightly embarrassingly she immediately brought back the AD and she upgraded it (at her own expense) for a steel/yellow gold champagne dial with diamond markers, 279173.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    My Mrs has a mid size Cartier Santos, tried to convince her to go for a Rolex but she didn't get on with them. In the end had to remind myself it was her watch not mine, still a lot of money for a quartz watch!

Cheers
    Rory
    Women in general are way more practical concerning a time piece. They on the whole VASTLY prefer no worries quartz precision. Give her something that stopps when not worn for a day or which is 5 minutes off after two months and you will never hear the end of it. That is without telling that you spend MORE for that...

The best advice has been given already; let HER choose.

Blimey, some great advice there, thanks! It's going to take a while to digest all that!
    Not really, because it's been neatly summarised in three words:

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    let HER choose.