closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sales corner restrictions

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    I mentioned before on here I can't understand why you need to have 50 posts before being able to view the sales corner, in the same breath can understand the 250 post before selling something.

Surely it's in the interests of the seller to have as many views as possible ?

The number of posts made by a potential purchaser would have no bearing on my selling decision to be fair.

But I don't make the rules I just accept and abide by them.
    So, why bring it up then?

Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
    How does 250 posts make anyone not a newbie.

I joined 2015. Still nowhere near 200 posts and i have watches to sell. I try not to just post irrelevant stuff.

Bet no one knows i exist.
    I agree.

I mentioned before on here I can't understand why you need to have 50 posts before being able to view the sales corner, in the same breath can understand the 250 post before selling something.

Surely it's in the interests of the seller to have as many views as possible ?

The number of posts made by a potential purchaser would have no bearing on my selling decision to be fair.
    I think this post shows how fundamentally you misunderstand what this forum is all about.

It's a meeting place of like-minded individuals, which from time-to-time has a Sales Corner attached (Eddie has removed it in the past and may well do so again in the future).

If I were selling a watch on here, I would much rather deal with a long-standing member whose contributions I was aware of.

If you just want to maximise the number of views, then eBay will be a much better place for you.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I think this post shows how fundamentally you misunderstand what this forum is all about.

It's a meeting place of like-minded individuals, which from time-to-time has a Sales Corner attached (Eddie has removed it in the past and may well do so again in the future).

If I were selling a watch on here, I would much rather deal with a long-standing member whose contributions I was aware of.

If you just want to maximise the number of views, then eBay will be a much better place for you.

I'd like to consider myself a like minded individual as I have an interest in watches , enough of an interest to have a non date sub , two Daytona's, Blnr GMT and a Rhodium dialled Yachtmaster, a couple of Tag's and a Panerai.

I'm certainly not a seller of watches , but would be interested enough to have a look at what's for sale at time to time .

The point I was trying to make , was that if I was a seller I'd like as many " like minded individuals " as possible to view my advert , and by my definition of a like minded individual would be anyone who was interested enough to join this platform regardless of how many posts they've made.

Some on here seem to place too much value on the amount of posts a member makes and judges them accordingly, it's a very strange way of assessing a buyer of a watch .

All in my humble opinion.

I'd like to consider myself a like minded individual as I have an interest in watches , enough of an interest to have a non date sub , two Daytona's, Blnr GMT and a Rhodium dialled Yachtmaster, a couple of Tag's and a Panerai.
    3.5 years and 60 posts, well at least you don't spend your time sitting on the fence.

Master

I'm certainly not a seller of watches , but would be interested enough to have a look at what's for sale at time to time .

The point I was trying to make , was that if I was a seller I'd like as many " like minded individuals " as possible to view my advert , and by my definition of a like minded individual would be anyone who was interested enough to join this platform regardless of how many posts they've made.

Some on here seem to place too much value on the amount of posts a member makes and judges them accordingly, it's a very strange way of assessing a buyer of a watch .

The sales rules have nothing to do with what the seller wants, but what Eddie wants. And i have not come across many instances where the buyers post count matters, because the money is exchanged first so it is largely irrelevant. Its nothing to do with assessing them as a trustworthy buyer, but about making them co tribute to the forum.

As others have said it is a forum first, with a sales section for those who contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Or is it just reacting to new members who are objectionable?
    I don't know, I was too busy talking to Bignose

Re: As others have said it is a forum first, with a sales section for those who contribute.

Simple truth that evades many.
    It is not a question of needing 50/250 posts but making 50/250 posts and then you will ready for the SC and the potential buyers/sellers will be ready for you.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 16th April 2017 at 18:48.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    3.5 years and 60 posts, well at least you don't spend your time sitting on the fence.

I'm very slow at typing .....

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    She me truth that evades many.
    It is not a question of needing 50/250 posts but making 50/250 posts and then you will ready for the SC and the potential buyers/sellers will be ready for you.
    It's a good point not the number of posts but the number of people getting to know you and vice versa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very slow at typing .....
    Hahah well put,

That's the whole point, it's not the number of potential buyers that's important, it's the quality.

Spending time here first usually shows people off for who they really are. Those that are trustworthy end up staying, those who just want to buy or sell or indeed try to scam are usually found out before they get access.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Brown View Post
    I have just started a thread,then when it came to adding pictures it seems they are too big.
    No matter how hard i try,there always seems to be a spanner in the works.lol
    I shall persevere to try to sort the pics out,unfortunately i dont own a phone.
    The last phone i had i lost,but secretly i was pleased.
    I havent replaced it in the 2 years since it went missing,and dont intend to anytime soon.
    Tbh I struggle to add pictures on my laptop but I (think) others use place like Flickr or photobucket websites to convert to a URL. I'm not the greatest at tech and found that helluva clunky so the app on the phone made it a lot faster and easier for me Bob

It's a little frustrating as someone far off the 'magic number' with one or two things to sell... Also, I often worry that if you type something short/not particularly specific people will just take the view that you're trying to raise your post count... but I think, all in all, it is right to have a considerable barrier to entry as otherwise the trust/quality of the Sales Corner gets eroded.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    It's a little frustrating as someone far off the 'magic number' with one or two things to sell... Also, I often worry that if you type something short/not particularly specific people will just take the view that you're trying to raise your post count... but I think, all in all, it is right to have a considerable barrier to entry as otherwise the trust/quality of the Sales Corner gets eroded.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Is the correct answer. There is another part of the Forum which magically appears when you've earned the right to entry, which contains a thread called "Runner Spotting". Anybody trying to rapidly increase their post count is "outed" in there as a warning to the rest of us, and an indication that they are here only for Sales Corner, and are best avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Is the correct answer. There is another part of the Forum which magically appears when you've earned the right to entry, which contains a thread called "Runner Spotting". Anybody trying to rapidly increase their post count is "outed" in there as a warning to the rest of us, and an indication that they are here only for Sales Corner, and are best avoided.
    Goodness! Didn't know that, hahaha... I shall live in fear…

Grand Master
    SC rules are there to discourage those who join this forum simply to buy and sell. I can't see any problems with that, it's there for forum members/contributers, it isn't supposed to be the sole reason for joining!

The runner-spotting thread in BP is amusing, it's easy to spot the runners.

I've nothing against dealers if they contribute to the forum on other threads and topics; those who contribute nothing are a different matter.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    SC rules are there to discourage those who join this forum simply to buy and sell. I can't see any problems with that, it's there for forum members/contributers, it isn't supposed to be the sole reason for joining!

The runner-spotting thread in BP is amusing, it's easy to spot the runners.

I've nothing against dealers if they contribute to the forum on other threads and topics; those who contribute nothing are a different matter.

Paul
    As are those who use it as a free version of eBay to sell general tat and a platform to blag freebies and deals with zero contribution and effort.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    As are those who use it as a free version of eBay to sell general tat and a platform to blag freebies and deals with zero contribution and effort.
    This + its amazing how many the word ''free'' brings out of the woodwork, often many with low post counts.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    This + its amazing how many the word ''free'' brings out of the woodwork, often many with low post counts.
    'Sweeping' statements but oh so true.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I see what you did here
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Can I ask - if your not yet able to sell on SC, are you able to post a WTB? Having a minicull to raise funds for my next purchase and wondered if WTB are classed same as "sales" posts? Thanks

If you can see the wtb section then you can post in it.
    You can also reply to other wtbs.

What you can't do is to post a watch for sale in the wtb section.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

It's been such fun over the years watching folks trying to circumvent the SC rules, scant as they are. The hopefully discrete "I may be selling my ########" always causes hilarity, and eventually and inevitably of course the Great Glitcher appears . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Sales corner restrictions

Not trying to circumvent anything. My minicull is already listed for sale on eBay. Been pining over a Certain brand for ages just in process if working out which model or colour is "the one". Was just a genuine question therefore

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

Thanks Dave. Understood. The irony of this whole thread is that I've sold dozens and dozens of watches on my journey to where my collection is now. And I honestly think I only have two more purchases left in me. Or maybe it's just harder to let go of the ones I have . I do prob still own too many - only got two wrists right? But at 18 for me that feels about the right number. One in one out from here on in I guess. Be interesting to know how many the ideal collection size is among the pilgrims out there?

Happy bunny this morning. Birth year little vintage arrived

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Thanks Dave. Understood. The irony of this whole thread is that I've sold dozens and dozens of watches on my journey to where my collection is now. And I honestly think I only have two more purchases left in me. Or maybe it's just harder to let go of the ones I have . I do prob still own too many - only got two wrists right? But at 18 for me that feels about the right number. One in one out from here on in I guess. Be interesting to know how many the ideal collection size is among the pilgrims out there?

"I've sold lots of watches elsewhere and have great feedback" is one of the most common comments when asking about SC. It means nothing here as it's reputation here that counts. It may be frustrating but when you've been here a while you'll appreciate it too.

WRT collection sizes, there's a range from one or two right up to hundreds! There's really no right number, we are all very different!

A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step.

Craftsman
    As a relative newbie I think the restrictions are just right. Even trying to sell on eBay can be a pain in the backside! I've had false emails made up to look like PayPal/eBay saying that payment has been made but the delivery address is now Nigeria. As already said, it's a community you're joining, not just a place to sell your goods for free.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
    As a relative newbie I think the restrictions are just right. Even trying to sell on eBay can be a pain in the backside! I've had false emails made up to look like PayPal/eBay saying that payment has been made but the delivery address is now Nigeria. As already said, it's a community you're joining, not just a place to sell your goods for free.
    Perfectly said! The restrictions help to ensure members aren't joining just to access SC and can add value and learn off the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
    it's a community you're joining, not just a place to sell your goods for free.
    Absolutely correct.

There are one or two that still don't understand this. Link that to a bad attitude and members get hacked off very quickly indeed.

Amen.

I recently bought from the SC. Overall I think the restrictions are fine.

The only change would be to allow members to post on an existing sales thread, this way potential buyer questions and sellers answers can be displayed to everyone and may prove useful to others.

Also... I had a situation where I could not contact the seller regarding the sale, their inbox was full and I had no way to let them know.

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    I recently bought from the SC. Overall I think the restrictions are fine.

The only change would be to allow members to post on an existing sales thread, this way potential buyer questions and sellers answers can be displayed to everyone and may prove useful to others.

Also... I had a situation where I could not contact the seller regarding the sale, their inbox was full and I had no way to let them know.
    1) I don't understand what you are saying. Nothing stops one from posting in an existing sales thread. Some sellers don't like it but they are usually those with something to hide
    2) Every forum has the same issue. Usually solved by starting a new thread titled "name-of-member, clear your inbox "

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    1) I don't understand what you are saying. Nothing stops one from posting in an existing sales thread. Some sellers don't like it but they are usually those with something to hide
    2) Every forum has the same issue. Usually solved by starting a new thread titled "name-of-member, clear your inbox "
    I assure you I could not post on an existing sales thread... forum banner note states this " You can post in Sales Corner if your post count is 250 or more and you have been registered as a member for 180 days or more "

So based on my post count I can view the sales corner (>50) but unable to post on an existing sales thread (<250), it's not a big issue as I can ask sellers questions via PM but I can see the value of posting questions on the thread so everyone can be helped by potential questions / answers.

Thank you. I thought it only affected your ability to start a thread.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    I assure you I could not post on an existing sales thread... forum banner note states this " You can post in Sales Corner if your post count is 250 or more and you have been registered as a member for 180 days or more "

So based on my post count I can view the sales corner (>50) but unable to post on an existing sales thread (<250), it's not a big issue as I can ask sellers questions via PM but I can see the value of posting questions on the thread so everyone can be helped by potential questions / answers.
    I can see your point here. The information you ask for could be very pertinent to other buyers. One way around it is for the seller to repeat your question and his answer on the sale post himself if buyers need the info you have highlighted.

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    Good to see all these great new ideas from the new members!
    New members like yourself are a breath of fresh air.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Oh the irony...

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Are you sure about the 'fresh' part?
    To me it sounds more like recirculated air:-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Are you sure about the 'fresh' part?
    To me it sounds more like recirculated air:-)
    Well my mother always told me to share ;-)

Blog Entries
    Lol!

Craftsman
    I just moved to the UK, and although I'm out for a specific model, I will happily wait my 60 days.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

You also need 50 quality posts. Posts with spelling or grammatical errors will not be counted. Neither will any posts mentioning Sales Corner.

Sales corner restrictions

You forgot to mention donating your first born.....mines in the post btw

Last edited by RustyBin5; 14th May 2017 at 14:37.