closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sales corner restrictions

Hybrid View

Sales corner restrictions

I like rules and I understand them. Just a polite question tho... why the difference between being able to have access to viewing sales corner and being able to post on it. Having a lot of fun on here but got a couple to move on and really don't want to use fleabay for them. Quite unusual watches (I'll resist the temptation of posting a pic here for fear of coming across as trying to back door advertise). Just looking for your thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because it's safer for the community to sell to a newbie than to buy from one. Spending more time here let's everyone get to know each other so you're less likely to be a scammer trying it on.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Because it's safer for the community to sell to a newbie than to buy from one. Spending more time here let's everyone get to know each other so you're less likely to be a scammer trying it on.
    Nailed it in one. Would you want to buy from someone who has just joined the forum with very little protection? It also stops people from joining to sell.

Master
    Your reasons for not wanting to use eBay probably go some way to explaining why the rules exist here and why they work.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Nailed it in one. Would you want to buy from someone who has just joined the forum with very little protection? It also stops people from joining to sell.
    I understand. PayPal does however provide protection. I've not joined to sell particularly, but rather to join the community. Been on WUS for years but it's global and I always felt it was a little impersonal and the idea of a uk forum always appealed so was pretty happy when a friend mentioned tzuk. As for joining to sell - well a watch community by its nature buys and sells so yes it will be a part of the experience or a sales corner wouldn't exist in the first place, and as a serial flipper (always lusting after some new time piece or other) buying and selling is both unavoidable and part of the fun. I think the phrase is the thrill is often in the hunt. Anyway thanks for your answers, I guess I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I understand. PayPal does however provide protection. I've not joined to sell particularly, but rather to join the community. Been on WUS for years but it's global and I always felt it was a little impersonal and the idea of a uk forum always appealed so was pretty happy when a friend mentioned tzuk. As for joining to sell - well a watch community by its nature buys and sells so yes it will be a part of the experience or a sales corner wouldn't exist in the first place, and as a serial flipper (always lusting after some new time piece or other) buying and selling is both unavoidable and part of the fun. I think the phrase is the thrill is often in the hunt. Anyway thanks for your answers, I guess I understand.

Almost exactly why I joined this forum after several years on WUS.

Paypal folk do not pay for a £4k watch with Paypal so that is non starter. I never bought or sold a watch with Paypal bank transfer!!

Another point I just Omega forum and its 200 posts for I can post in sales or wanted, and I need some bits but I just wait till the time comes

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    Paypal folk do not pay for a £4k watch with Paypal so that is non starter. I never bought or sold a watch with Paypal bank transfer!!

Another point I just Omega forum and its 200 posts for I can post in sales or wanted, and I need some bits but I just wait till the time comes
    Doesn't mean others dont. I've only bought 5 watches through means other than PayPal.

Craftsman
    I think that covered it completely. Its unlike scammers to have the staying power for 250+posts as they are after a quick buck. Some on here are +2000 posts which although is not waterproof-it provides some reassurance to their interest in the site.

GLWTS

"Patience" my friend was not only a song played by Guns and Roses. By this methode u proof as a new member watches ars your concern and not selling.

Something else questionable is admiring a sales forum and then attacking the conditions which have contributed to its quality. There are reasons why you're eager to be able to use it, and this is one of them.

How does 250 posts make anyone not a newbie.

I joined 2015. Still nowhere near 200 posts and i have watches to sell. I try not to just post irrelevant stuff.

Bet no one knows i exist.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post

I joined 2015. Still nowhere near 200 posts and i have watches to sell. I try not to just post irrelevant stuff.

You've just answered your own question. If you posted more people would know you and trust buying from you. If everyone took your view of not posting there would be nothing to read.

You joined in the same month and year as me. Why not start a thread, either to show us what watches you have or to ask a question. People on here are incredibly helpful. I have started threads because I couldn't undo Bracelet pins that have screws at each end and in the last week I asked people what they thought of Oris because I saw a nice watch premiered at Baselworld but knew little about the brand or the financial residuals etc. Once started a bit of a discussion takes place. You will very quickly get past 250 with active participation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    You will very quickly get past 250 with active participation.
    Or 2500 in your case Ken!

Not saying you talk too much or anything.

Or 2500 in your case Ken!

Not saying you talk too much or anything.
    2,500!! - homing in on 4,000 - must talk more

Who said that?

Sent on the run.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Who said that?

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Something else questionable is admiring a sales forum and then attacking the conditions which have contributed to its quality. There are reasons why you're eager to be able to use it, and this is one of them.
    Excuse me? "Questionable?" ... "attacking it"? My actions, my friend, are not questionable. I merely asked politely why the differential existed and then again politely thanked all for the answers given. At NO POINT did I "attack the conditions", so drop the spurious stuff . I happen to have a watch I'm looking to sell and my question was s reasonable one. Your suggestion that my motives are "questionable" is out of line.

. Your suggestion that my motives are "questionable" is out of line.
    If I had been referring to your motives, that would be true, but I wasn't. Things other than motives can be "questionable", such the sense of a choice of action, which is all I meant here. You can deflate your chest now 😘

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    If I had been referring to your motives, that would be true, but I wasn't. Things other than motives can be "questionable", such the sense of a choice of action, which is all I meant here. You can deflate your chest now
    I think we both know what you meant but I'll deflate my chest if it makes you happy

I think we both know what you meant but I'll deflate my chest if it makes you happy

Since you persist in your mistaken belief - in a moment of politeness that now seems superfluous, I used "questionable" as a euphemism for "stupid"

Apprentice
    Excuse me? "Questionable?" ... "attacking it"? My actions, my friend, are not questionable. I merely asked politely why the differential existed and then again politely thanked all for the answers given. At NO POINT did I "attack the conditions", so drop the spurious stuff . I happen to have a watch I'm looking to sell and my question was s reasonable one. Your suggestion that my motives are "questionable" is out of line.

Im positive i will never get the required amount of posts within the next 12 months.
    I know several long time members of the group,who would endorse my honesty with no issues.
    I would love access as i love buying and selling,and change my watches on a regular basis.
    Since i have had to retire due to ill health,i have little else to do than pursue my interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Brown View Post
    Im positive i will never get the required amount of posts within the next 12 months.
    I know several long time members of the group,who would endorse my honesty with no issues.
    I would love access as i love buying and selling,and change my watches on a regular basis.
    Since i have had to retire due to ill health,i have little else to do than pursue my interests.
    I'm sure you will get the desired amount of posts. It's not really so many. I'm sure you have an interesting collection that the pilgrims on here would love to see. Start a thread showing some pictures and get a convo going. Have fun

Come on Bob, make an effort. Just posting which watch you are wearing every Friday will be 52 posts in the next year alone or 53 if you include the Xmas day thread. Starting a thread is a good way to get involved. Show people what you have and the direction that you are hoping to go in. That usually generates advice or questions. Before you know where you are your count is on the rise. 6 posts in 15 months is a little slow.

I manage to clock up an average of four posts a day (mostly of complete garbage) while holding down two businesses and a building site across three countries. If you've retired you should have no excuse! Not intended as a jibe. What do you collect?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I manage to clock up an average of four posts a day (mostly of complete garbage) while holding down two businesses and a building site across three countries. If you've retired you should have no excuse! Not intended as a jibe. What do you collect?
    I collect mainly dive watches of good quality,rather than sticking to a certain brand.
    I also really like 60s/70s watches,such as the Seiko 5 Speedtimer and the Bullheads.
    Ive spent my life swapping and px-ing,as money has always been tight.
    I also have my eye on getting an Eco zilla,in the near future too!.

Master
    Bob, if you have little else to do and your interested in Watches, why not spend a bit more time chatting about them on here?

250 is easily achieved in 12months if you have the time and interest, i hope your health permits you to post for many years to come too!

Looking forward to your reply/replies :)

Best regards
    Matt

Master
    Example 1: Join a forum, ask a question, get it answered. If you don't agree with the answer, just accept that this is how things are done. Then either happily remain in the forum if you can live with this, quietly leave if you cannot.
    Example 2: Join a forum, ask a question, get it answered. If you don't agree with the answer argue until you alienate dozens of long term members who will probably never be on your side again.
    OP, stop digging an ever deepening hole, there's nothing but worms and stones down there.

Think about it from the viewers point of view. If you are about to bank transfer ££££ to a person you do not know then personally I feel it gives you enough posts to look at to gauge the type of person you are dealing with.

It is a pain I agree but it is a good rule.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It did me no harm. I've bought almost all my watches from this place, and in doing so have learned a heck of a lot about brands, movements, straps, watchmakers and menders etc. I sold my first watches this year, which I think is my 7th year of membership or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    It does seem that the threshold for buyers could be lowered. Normally they are the party more on risk so would always seek the added comfort of dealing with an 'established' seller. That said, its a forum rule that's been here since I started using the site and am in no way looking to try and change it.

For my benefit going forward, is it frowned upon to DM sellers if you're unable to post in sales corner?

Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    It does seem that the threshold for buyers could be lowered. Normally they are the party more on risk so would always seek the added comfort of dealing with an 'established' seller. That said, its a forum rule that's been here since I started using the site and am in no way looking to try and change it.

For my benefit going forward, is it frowned upon to DM sellers if you're unable to post in sales corner?
    There's no issue with contacting a seller by PM.

Why do you feel that two months and fifty posts is too long to gain access to sales corner?

WRT to sending a pm if you've not enough posts to post in SC, there's nothing to stop you so there isn't an issue.

In this case it is not so much the risk. It's a feeble yet good attempt at keeping the watches within the community, or at least to get members a chance to buy them before they are hoovered by 'dealers' to turn a quick profit elsewhere. It still happens but when caught it is often messy.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    In this case it is not so much the risk. It's a feeble yet good attempt at keeping the watches within the community, or at least to get members a chance to buy them before they are hoovered by 'dealers' to turn a quick profit elsewhere. It still happens but when caught it is often messy.

It has very little to do with dealers. Any dealer who wants access could have the knowledge and nous to contribute unobtrusively should they wish and often have more time to monitor the sales thread than many of us. I know of one sale and suspect there's quite a few that get sold to dealers who haven't declared themselves as such.

I'm sure the forum owner will be open to constructive suggestions for improvement if the OP is minded to PM him.

I'm sure the forum owner will be open to constructive suggestions for improvement if the OP is minded to PM him.
    Where is the 'like' button when you need it?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

To be perfectly clear I was not suggesting changes to the structure as it is clearly long established and works. I merely was asking why probation is longer for selling than buying. Most answered succinctly and with good answers which has helped me now know the answer. Seems to others my question has revealed me to be some sort of undesirable - the like of which is exactly why the rules were made!

Don't worry OP, it usually descends rapidly whenever a relative newbie asks a question about SC.

Apprentice
    For the record I have nothing to sell and I don't want to buy anything either......

Shoot me down if you like but not sure I like being told that I am untrustworthy as a newbie but everyone who's been here a while is honest.

I have over 300 eBay transactions and 100% positive feedback if I was going to rip someone off surely it'd be on the bay rather than a closed forum of people who I'm likely to come across regularly?

I ordered my Everest from Eddie (the purchase was first contact I had with him and Timefactors) I paid him and he sent me the watch..what's the difference here?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieB View Post

I ordered my Everest from Eddie (the purchase was first contact I had with him and Timefactors) I paid him and he sent me the watch..what's the difference here?

Eddie is operating a business. As a result when you buy from him you gain legal rights. When you buy from a private seller, you lose those rights. E.g if the watch is not as described, you have a legal right to return for a refund. Not quite so easy with a private sale.

Craftsman
    It obviously depends on the number of posts/time issue, I joined in Jan 2015 and have a grand total of 113 posts, I joined a bike forum in Jan 2002 and have a post count of 593 so I guess it'll take me a while to get to sell some of the watches/bits I bought on SC, funnily enough I got to 50 posts quite quickly but clearly no match for Ken! Cheers, John B4 (just added another 1)

Sales corner restrictions

Shoot me down if you like but not sure I like being told that I am untrustworthy as a newbie but everyone who's been here a while is honest.
    I know what you mean, but that's not really what it's about.

When you do deals with people on SC it's generally by sending them money as a bank transfer and then they send you the watch. As a buyer, it's a little alarming at first: you're sending money to a complete stranger whose real name and address you probably don't know. You have no credit card protection, no security, no guarantee that you'll ever even hear from them again, and no comeback if they decide to just take your money and run. The first thing I bought here was a SubC, and it was a nerve-racking few days before it arrived!

The only protection we do have is that if you get ripped off, you can call the seller out on the forum and then no-one else will deal with them in future. But if they just popped on to do the one deal, that probably won't bother them.

With the system as it is, you need to invest a fair amount of time and energy into the forum and become part of the community before you have the opportunity to sell. Having done that, sellers are less likely to blow their forum reputation for the sake of one deal. Yes, things go wrong very occasionally, but it's still far safer than eBay or any other Internet marketplace.

So it's not a presumption of dishonesty about newbies; we just ask that you demonstrate a bit of a commitment to sticking around for the long term, to protect people who deal with you, and in turn you will benefit from that protection yourself later on.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post

When you do deals with people on SC it's generally by sending them money as a bank transfer and then they send you the watch. As a buyer, it's a little alarming at first: you're sending money to a complete stranger whose real name and address you probably don't know. You have no credit card protection, no security, no guarantee that you'll ever even hear from them again, and no comeback if they decide to just take your money and run. The first thing I bought here was a SubC, and it was a nerve-racking few days before it arrived!

The only protection we do have is that if you get ripped off, you can call the seller out on the forum and then no-one else will deal with them in future. But if they just popped on to do the one deal, that probably won't bother them.

With the system as it is, you need to invest a fair amount of time and energy into the forum and become part of the community before you have the opportunity to sell. Having done that, sellers are less likely to blow their forum reputation for the sake of one deal. Yes, things go wrong very occasionally, but it's still far safer than eBay or any other Internet marketplace.

So it's not a presumption of dishonesty about newbies; we just ask that you demonstrate a bit of a commitment to sticking around for the long term, to protect people who deal with you, and in turn you will benefit from that protection yourself later on.
    For me, all you wrote is much of the attraction of SC and I applaud the forum policy wholeheartedly, even though I can't sell anything on there until the end of August. It will benefit me in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    For me, all you wrote is much of the attraction of SC and I applaud the forum policy wholeheartedly, even though I can't sell anything on there until the end of August. It will benefit me in the end.
    To be fair, you have joined in and done it properly and as you say will gain access fairly soon, by which time your count will be high enough.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post

Exactly This

Master

I have over 300 eBay transactions and 100% positive feedback if I was going to rip someone off surely it'd be on the bay rather than a closed forum of people who I'm likely to come across regularly?
    Ebay has its own built in security for buyers though, so not really comparable to this forum. I had about 40,000 ebay feedback when I joined the forum but still had to build a reputation from scratch here.