closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Custom fit headphones

Custom fit headphones

Well after many unsuccessful attempts at getting a headphone that fits well, the last being a pair of Ultimate Ears 900 that I dropped on a plane from Paris (thanks to a halfwit next to me being incapable of moving) via a pair of Nu-Force Primo 8's (great headphones but dodgy MMCX connectors) and many others I've bitten the bullet and bought a pair of custom fits. Tomorrow the below will arrive at my door and be straight into my ears:

Cosmic Ears CE6P, 6 BA drivers, custom fit with tritium tubes on the face plate (that glow blue). Having had ear impressions done for a pair of custom earplugs to reduce noise at concerts (tinnitus sufferer), on planes etc, I also decided to go for a pair of custom fit earphones. Initially I wanted the 4 BA driver Nu-Force Primo 8's reshelled but after numerous attempts Cosmic Ears were unable to resolve an issue with the drivers on the left hand earpiece and so I went for their 6 driver flagship (I figure this will be the last pair I buy).

The communication from Phil and Alex at Cosmic was outstanding, updates at every stage of the process, discussions on faceplate designs, fit (used the pre-fit service) and I cannot wait to get them in my ears with some good music via a Chord Mojo (or Dragonfly DAC when travelling).

I am excited.

Editted to add: I thought people might appreciate the technical side of these, I'm not simply showing off.
    Last edited by tiny73; 12th April 2017 at 10:09.

Just out of interest, did you consider 64audio custom in ears? I'm awaiting delivery of their V4s that have 'apex' tech on board that reduces pressure on the ear drum. I'm a musician and I have some hearing loss at 4K plus tinnitus. Nothing major to worry about but nurse said 'get custom in ears fitted asap'.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Just out of interest, did you consider 64audio custom in ears? I'm awaiting delivery of their V4s that have 'apex' tech on board that reduces pressure on the ear drum. I'm a musician and I have some hearing loss at 4K plus tinnitus. Nothing major to worry about but nurse said 'get custom in ears fitted asap'.
    Initially I only looked at Cosmic due to their reshelling service, by the time they discovered the issue with the drivers in the Primo 8's I'd already done the pre-fit so I continued down that route (also had a couple of issues with ear impressions that were resolved between the audiologist and cosmic as they came recommended by cosmic). The CE6P's also get good reviews so at that stage I continued down that path.

I like the look of the UE RR (with the Capitol records logo) and would probably go for those IF I get another pair (and my man logic suggests I invariably will at some stage )

The 1964 ears stuff looks nice though. Let me know how they sound when you get them? I'll post some (amateur) impressions on here when I've listened to them for a while.

Those look amazing but at the rate I go through earphones these would be a terrible investment. I do need some new ones for running though that don't fall out constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Bought a pair of these for running and general gym type stuff:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M1JVJ90/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Excellent fit, comfortable, stay in place despite my sweaty ears (No idea how an ear can be so sweaty...). For £12.89 i'm very impressed. The sound is more than passable and if I trash them, so what, for that price they're replaceable.

I can recommend these, the eartips supplied were pretty basic but as a result of having about 150 different tips I found a pair (from my B&W C2's I think) that fit perfectly and grip. If I didn't sweat so much I'd probably use comply tips on these (and have a set of the active fit complys that I may try anyhow).

The customs would surely stay in better but I'd not be confident of their longevity with sweat and constant pounding.
    Last edited by tiny73; 12th April 2017 at 10:47.

Did you look and consider Westone whilst completing your research or was the reshelling the primary reason?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Reshelling and the idea of having a perfect fit was the primary reason. Apart from the ue900s which fitted really well, I've struggled to get a constantly good fit and seal, hence the custom route.

Wouldve been posting impressions except Royal Mail special delivery (guaranteed by 1pm) didn't deliver by 1pm yesterday and their customer service was slightly less than useless in being able to tell me more that 'they're on their way'.

Master
    Shure Se535s and before that se530s .

Apart from the Se530s being replaced by shure on average every 18months for cable failure...

Very happy with these , considered custom fit reshelling but as I get a great fit anyway with the large olives I don't see the point.

For a spare pair I have the cheaper se210s which are still a cut above most other iems.

The lower priced shure range are a good option if you don't want to spend as much as the se535s and up.

I have some Shure SE846 which are OK but prefer the sound signature and fit of the Westone 4r..... looking forward to reading your early summary and findings of the new IEMs

Quote Originally Posted by Mikes1 View Post
    I have some Shure SE846 which are OK but prefer the sound signature and fit of the Westone 4r..... looking forward to reading your early summary and findings of the new IEMs

If I ever get my hands on them I'll let you know :oD

RMSD tracking can't tell me where they are and I'm heading out to the in-laws for the day (despite stalling to give the postie some more time...)

Suspect it will be Tuesday before I get hold of them now. Harrumph.

My 64audio V4 custom in ear headphones came today. First impressions - they are not 100% sound isolating, you can still hear ambient noise but obviously at much, much lower volume than off the shelf in ears. No custom in ears give 100% isolation so this is to be expected. Compared to my (significantly cheaper) SE250 Shures they are not neutral and are very bass heavy which is to be expected since this model is designed for working drummers and bass players rather than audiophiles. However, crucially the sound levels required to listen comfortably are much reduced and this is the main reason why I switched to custom in ears. I usually listen to music on my phone at 85 to 90 % volume. With the 64 Audio's, I don't need more than 30%!!! On the road this will mean I don't have to push the in ear monitoring as hard to get over ambient noise and this will reduce the risk of hearing damage. I'll be giving them a proper test drive on a gig tonight.

EDIT (from Sat night): Just back off the gig. Compared to the single driver SE215s, the 64 Audio V4s are a game changer. I used them on an Ultra 90s gig which is a very good work out for them as there is so much going on with tracks, clicks and live instruments. The biggest difference is that you can hear EVERYTHING with fantastic clarity. The separation of the different instruments is such that no one element takes over like it can with cheaper headphones. Because of this clarity, I didn't have to drive the mixer anywhere near the levels I used to. I had gain on left and right channels at zero and channel volume, phones level and master volume all at less than 20%. The master volume is usually around 60%. Subsequently I have no ringing in my ears and no feeling of fatigue. I'm sure there may be cheaper options but as it stands I believe that this is £850 well spent.
    Last edited by beechcustom; 19th April 2017 at 19:31.

So the earphones have finally arrived (thanks Royal mail special delivery guaranteed before 1pm, just don't ask which day). First impressions are that fit is incredible but will take some getting to used to I feel. They're not uncomfortable but suddenly having two plugs in will take some getting used to. The left earpiece is also harder to get out than the right.

The sound is clear with a lot of low end, I can't imagine how the bass heavy version (CE6B) sounds as this has more than enough. Listening through a Chord Mojo really brings out the nuances in the music and reveals little pieces that you'd normally miss.

Cool

Keep us posted on the "burn in" process as I would imagine a few 100 hours should see the signature and tone improve from both the IEM and the cable.....

i'm off out for a stroll with my old trusted Westone 4r and Ipod.

All the best

I have a pair of 1964 audio V3 CIEM's from about 3 years ago and have to say they are amazing. I went for these ones as at the time they seemed to be one of the cheapest ways to get into the CIEM market but also offered a great spec for the price (550 at the time) but also gave the most neutral presentation from that particular range so maybe not aimed at musicians. The 'phones in the ranges above with more separate drivers must sound epic though. I burnt mine in by leaving them plugged into my hi fi for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikes1 View Post
    Keep us posted on the "burn in" process as I would imagine a few 100 hours should see the signature and tone improve from both the IEM and the cable.....

i'm off out for a stroll with my old trusted Westone 4r and Ipod.

All the best
    Well after a week or so listening and changing the stock cable to a Linum Bax I can report that these things are incredible. I've swapped out the iPhone (dragonfly DAC or Chord Mojo) for an Astell & Kern Jr solely for music listening pleasure. The separation is incredible, bass is deep but not bloated or muddy, you can hear every breath of the artist, every slide on the guitar strings and the music seems to emanate from somewhere in the middle of your head and radiates outwards giving a full and complete encompassing feeling.

Currently listening to Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds Murder Ballads album and the brush work on the cymbals is hypnotic. I was listening to Beaucoup Fish by Underworld in the airport on Weds night and couldn't help but smile. I think I've found my portable music nirvana, (at least on the headphone front ).

The only downside is that the left earpiece isn't quite as comfortable as the right but the insertion generally takes some getting used to so maybe it's just getting familiar with them.

Thanks for the update I was considering an upgrade cable for my se846's and looked at the linum range. ... I shall investigate further. ....pleased to hear your choice is living up to expectations

Apprentice

Custom Fit Earplugs

Custom fit earplugs will help you to protect your hearing. It is very necessary to use when you hear the high loud voice. Earplugs will help you to prevent any loud voice. Start using earplugs and prevent your hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbellb View Post
    Custom fit earplugs will help you to protect your hearing. It is very necessary to use when you hear the high loud voice. Earplugs will help you to prevent any loud voice. Start using earplugs and prevent your hearing.
    Got to be post of the day, even if it is probably by a bot