closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch for my kid?

Watch for my kid?

I'm posting whether to give my son a proper watch for a traditional "coming of age" celebration we have here. The kid is 15.

I'm considering a Breitling Colt, which I think is both a solid and beautiful watch, but maybe it is just too much for a kid to walk around with? Should I think of something else entirely?

I'm not considering this an investment, I'd simply like to give my kid something nice that will last him for many years.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I think it is a bit too much for a kid to be walking around with. I think a graduation present for uni is more befitting (that's just my opinion). But then again, if you live in a affluent neighbourhood, mybe what you suggest is the norm (I wouldn't know).

Maybe a fountain pen?

Sent from my LG-D858HK using Tapatalk

Master

When to wear?

I would say yes as long as it's something that is worn sensibly and not everyday out and about with mates? Maybe a g-shock is best for that??
    I must admit I'm hardly wealthy but I have considered getting my son a Rolex Junior I believe they used to call it as he he is obsessed with watches and has come to auctions and shops with me to buy some vintage watches!!
    I would say if he's into watches like my son is and you know he will wear it when it's right to wear it then yes get it but I'd consider whether he wants something more in keeping with a 15yr old first?

Good luck anyway!

Chris

My old man wouldn't even give me my 21st present (speedmaster) until I'd graduated.

Personally I think 15 is too young, especially as 17 and 'daddy I want a car' is just around the corner. Also the price of uni these days and then so many kids being supported by their parents until their early 30s...I'm off for a sit down.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I think the most important question here is "is your kid into watches" ?

If he's not then I would say that is not a good gift idea.

If he is, does he just wear a watch for whatever reason or is he really into it ?

Why not start with a solid good quality Seiko Diver Automatic ? They're always in style and everyone appreciates them. Oh and they look AWESOME!

I would suggest the Breitling is something he needs to work towards in my opinion. Start him off with maybe a Tissot, Seiko or such like in the first instance to see how he is going to treat it? I dont know your lad or what type of boy he is, i.e. is he into football and comes back randomly dirty due to a football game breaking out (we've all been there lets face it) and it maybe the watch will be at risk of being damaged..only you can assess this.

21 for a Breitling or good highers result in school would be my approach so he has something to work hard for.

Thanks for all the replies. Some colour to the kid:

He is not a sports kid.
    He is fanatic with playing computer. But as a coming of age present I don't want to feed that troll even more.
    I'll never buy him a car.
    He is not into watches, but he does need one.
    I wanted to give him something that will last him a long time.

You have given me something to think about. The Colt might be too much after all, I just think I would have loved it if my dad had bought me something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by tbpdenmark View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Some colour to the kid:

He is not a sports kid.
    He is fanatic with playing computer. But as a coming of age present I don't want to feed that troll even more.
    I'll never buy him a car.
    He is not into watches, but he does need one.
    I wanted to give him something that will last him a long time.

You have given me something to think about. The Colt might be too much after all, I just think I would have loved it if my dad had bought me something like that.

I would go for something like this
    http://www.watchtag.com/tissot-t-spo...FWgq0wodWEUE7Q

It's swiss, quartz and its something you can educate him on and progress from there. Still a nice watch to have imo

My suggestion, a Bulova Moonwatch 96B258 or 96B251. If you don't think he'd like / doesn't need a chronograph, then any of the Bulova Accutron UHF watches.