closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many watches?

Craftsman

How many watches?

I currently have 7 watches. 1 Grand Seiko, 2 Rolex, 1 fairly rare Limited Edition Seiko, a Tudor Big Block, an old Tag quartz and a Steinhart bronze. I also have a golf GPS watch if that counts. So 5 'nice' Watches and 2 beaters. I am thinking of adding a couple to the collection. Perhaps a Panerai and an IWC or a Zenith Chrono.

I know I can only wear 1 at a time, so sometimes question why I want more - and wonder whether I have a problem?

How many watches do you have - and how many is too many in your opinion?

Master
    No such thing as too many. Depends entirely on why you bought them. I'm at 30 or so and intend to add more.

Grand Master
    1. Rolex Polar Explorer II automatic
    2. Omega Seamaster Professional 2254 automatic
    3. Oris TT1 Titanium ISO 2281 Divers automatic
    4. Victorinox Swiss Army Dive Master 500 automatic orange
    5. Daniel JeanRichard Highlands Chronograph automatic
    6. Steinhart Nav B II Chronograph automatic
    7. Hamilton Jazzmaster Slim automatic
    8. Maranez Layan Limited Edition Brass with bressicated jasper stone dial automatic
    9. Citizen World Timer Perpetual Calender 200m titanium Eco Drive (a rare beast in titanium!)

above is the core collection, plus:

10. Vostok Amfibia automatic
    11. Getat homage with swan neck movement and sapphire hand wind
    12. Black Dice curved LED quartz
    13. Casio GWM5600 radio controlled solar powered g-shock
    14. Vintage silver cased trench watch (needs work)

I won't go back above this number now, if i really get the urge for a new watch it'll be at least one out, unless i do decide to bite the bullet and get a non date sub in which case only 1 and 3 and 9 will survive the cull!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Blog Entries
    How many: 8 (I think)
    Too many = n* +1

*where n=number of watches your significant other thinks you have.

I have seven but another on the way. I will reduce this to three or four at some point or maybe just swap mechanicals out for quartz in.

Journeyman
    Down to 2 mechanicals,
    1. Subc ND,
    2. Panerai Pam312.

Have the speedy on the way. So will have 3.

Thinking about adding a white dial at some point.

I also have a luminox polycarbonate quartz that I use when travelling, but thinking about selling as hardly wear it and getting a Gshock.

So 4 in total.

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

Just 11 at the moment... Nothing out of the ordinary. Hope for more hehe...

Numbers go up and down all the time, sometimes down to two or three and then up to about 15. Having a clearout at the moment to raise some funds for the Speedy Tuesday. Sold 4 watches in the last two days.

It is a beast that never sleeps.

I think I'm down to about 30
    probably about 4 that I regularly wear, most of the rest are antiques (pocket watches and early wrist watches)

Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    I think I'm down to about 30
    probably about 4 that I regularly wear, most of the rest are antiques (pocket watches and early wrist watches)
    Lol your not alone :p
    Need to stop hoarding one of these days!

As of today I have 9, and can never see me now exceeding this. I used to think 7 was a good number because you could rotate one per day, but I broke that 'rule', not that there are any, and that's the point. I am not a flipper and tend to really carefully pick what I like with a view to keeping it long term and covering all bases, but I'm open-minded about the future.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

80+ at the moment and I have most but by no means all of the ones I want.

Master
    I limit myself to 8 as I have 8 slots in the watch box. No real logic behind it, but keeps me under control a bit.

I've sold 10 and now have about 20.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    80+ at the moment and I have most but by no means all of the ones I want.

Wow ! To think I feel bad sometimes about having 8 watches (6 auto, 2 cheap quartz)

Master
    Currently 10. Mixed bag, Rolex polar explorer 2 Orange, DSSD deep blue, BLNR, PAM 49 and 422, Cartier TT Chronoflex, original TAG F1, Ingersoll skeleton, G shock for work and Nike HRM for training. And still I crave more. It is a weakness of mine......

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

How many watches?

I have 10 or so plus a couple in various pieces. My motto is wear what you want not what people say.

Last edited by tswatch66; 8th April 2017 at 17:35.

Master
    Around 50.
    I had maybe 35 when I decided that I need to sell a few. That went well...

I currently own 7. I'm considering going down to just three, which feels like the most sensible number (two in the box, one on the wrist). Over the past couple of years my collection has hovered between 6 and 8. Can't really afford any more than that.

Three figures, not sure exactly how many.
    About a third are quartz, the rest mechanical.

Master
    I had 40 'expensive' watches at one point plus various cheapies. I think this was the peak (excepting one that was in for service):

I ultimately got the expensive ones down to three http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...with-2016-SOTC

I've since added a couple, initially another Speedy Pro and a Breitling Seawolf, but these have now been replaced with a DJ II (Azure blue roman) and Milgauss Z.

As for the cheapies these are down to two GW5600s and a GW5610. The former two being beaters at different houses and the latter a spare.

Focusing on the five. I would actually say that that is to many. Three plus a Casio beater would be more than enough IMO. Any more is clutter IMO. But most of us clutter our lives......

Oh, just realised that I also have two Swatches - more clutter.

Master
    50 here. Sold 10 in past 2 months. Want to sell another 20.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

10 I think so far and definitely not stopping I'm just starting to appreciate what I got and what I want.

1. SMP 300 quartz
    2. Breitling Areospace
    3. Omega dress watch from 1960s
    4. Accurist Shockmaster
    5. Unknown (dress watch from my dads 21st 1962)
    6. Keora (from my grandad 1940s)
    7. Seiko mini tuna
    8. CWC Royal Navy Diver Quartz
    9. CWC G10
    10. G Shock

Think that's all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I maintain a strict policy of 3 watches only.

A Mondaine Evo Automatic on mesh that I married wearing - that's perminant
    An Oris TT1 Divers GMT Date World Time on Bracelet, my daily wear.

Third space used to be an Altichron, but I sold that. I'm now awaiting a Black Bay Blue (Eta) on Nato to pop up within budget to tag team my Oris.

A magical 4th space is retained for a time in the future when I can warrant an Omega Speedmaster Moonphase purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    I had 40 'expensive' watches at one point plus various cheapies. I think this was the peak (excepting one that was in for service):

I've maybe said this before, but this is one of my favourite pictures on Tzuk ever! The three expensive ones you're down to are pretty special as well, and I always get a pang of regret for selling on my Yachtmaster when I see someone else's

Master
    Seven , at the last count. Too many really,
    Three Grand Seiko, 117 quartz diver, saga 109 spring drive and a GMT hi-beat 021.
    Then four chronos; Zenith 'classic Elite , Zenith el tipo cp. Speedy Pro and Daytona.
    I don't plan to sell any, but don't want the Collection to grow. Unfortunately, I like buying watches. So something doesn't work in this plan.

6 as that's what my watch box holds and keeps me to that maximum which works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    I've maybe said this before, but this is one of my favourite pictures on Tzuk ever! The three expensive ones you're down to are pretty special as well, and I always get a pang of regret for selling on my Yachtmaster when I see someone else's
    Agreed. Fantastic picture!

3 at the moment and I find it too many, because of I hate watches gathering dust in boxes and cupboards. Will service De Ville and then decide which one to sell.

11:

5 daily wearers that get worn several days in a row when their turn comes

4 more dressy or unusual watches that barge their way in for a day or two, here and there

2 quartz watches when needed for whatever reason

I wish I could be a proper collector with lots of interesting vintage Seikos and Soviet watches etc, but having watches and not wearing them regularly makes me a bit sad. Like caged birds.

I have 7 (plus 5 quartz). If I ever start to worry, I have a quick look at the following collector's story :-

http://www.watchesbysjx.com/2013/12/...with-1000.html

Edit - oh dear it is no longer there - but was about a collector, Prasart Vidhayapat, with over a thousand watches! Now moved by SJX to :-

http://watchesbysjx.com/2013/12/prof...0-watches.html
    Last edited by WatchIng; 9th April 2017 at 21:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    11:

5 daily wearers that get worn several days in a row when their turn comes

4 more dressy or unusual watches that barge their way in for a day or two, here and there

2 quartz watches when needed for whatever reason

I wish I could be a proper collector with lots of interesting vintage Seikos and Soviet watches etc, but having watches and not wearing them regularly makes me a bit sad. Like caged birds.
    I like it when you say 5 daily wearers✌️

Master
    I have 14 at the moment - I think - but the correct number (as with cars, bikes, shoes, boats, beer bottles, wine bottles, whisky bottles etc) is n+1. Where n = the number currently owned

Grand Master
    I have 20 at the moment.

My rule is simple; if there's a watch out there that I`d like to own and it's affordable, I buy it. That's how I ended up with my collection. Apart from maybe 2 or 3 watches there's nothing I don`t have that I yearn for.

The fact that I hardly wear several of them makes it hard to justify buying any more, but logic doesn`t really come into it. I get pleasure from knowing I own them.

I think there is such a thing as a 'collecting gene', some folks are compulsive collectors and I think that sums me up!

Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

The fact that I hardly wear several of them makes it hard to justify buying any more, but logic doesn`t really come into it. I get pleasure from knowing I own them.

I think there is such a thing as a 'collecting gene', some folks are compulsive collectors and I think that sums me up!

Paul

This gives me semblance of normality in the chaos - I own four or now five of the same model of watch but as Paul has hit the nail on the head - it's not the wearing them , it's the pleasure knowing you own them

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdude View Post
    I like it when you say 5 daily wearers✌️
    Gah, busted Erm, serial monogamy? Five days of being My One And Only......and then back in the drawer for another month

I own 5. Until last night I thought I had another 2 coming, but the seller changed his mind. I'm not going to lie - I've been quite upset today.

Apprentice
    This is really subjective.

To my wife, no amount clothes will ever be too much. And I believe her, she will wear them all, even if it takes years to cycle through them all.

Myself on the other hand, I can't. I have tendencies to favouritize things and I will probably wearing a X over Y if similar enough.

As a collection, I would like all kinds of a watch to fill certain niche. But for watches that I wear, I think it would be very difficult for me to wear more than 10 on a regular basis, more like 5 and a few special pieces for special occasions.

Sent from my LG-D858HK using Tapatalk

Rapidly closing in on 50 I think, from Seagull to Breguet but I aspire to get this significantly down. I play two scenarios through my head. The first is where I get this number down to just 3 really awesome grails consisting of diver, chronograph and dress probably. The second is where I focus on just one affordable brand and have many, a collection of Seiko probably.

My problem is manyfold. I love the hunt, I love Seiko's, Rolex's, Chronographs, Divers, dress watches, Breguet, JLC and so on. Oh and I buy at an insatiable rate.

Be warned though, roughly when I return to the UK from the East this summer I will also get access to Sales Corner about the same time. The market is likely to get flooded :-D Or I might just start soaking up everything on there too!

Master
    Blog Entries
    22 ish at the moment.

A good mate once said to me " The one with the most watches when he dies wins"

Master

Personal?

Ive had 40 plus watches at different points with maybe 7 being what I would class as expensive? (£1000-4000)
    At the moment my collection sits at 6 I believe but will soon be 9 maybe 10 of which 4 or 5 will be expensive??

I don't see watch collecting as an issue that controls every part of my life and unlike a lot of addictions they can make fairly decent long term investments(maybe not for you but your kids!?). For this reason I don't think you can go over the top? If you like it and can afford it then get it?!?! Prettty simple for me really!

I suppose it may also come down to space coupled with security as I like to be able to see my watches but have read some of the horror stories in here where people have had their whole watch boxes stolen and for that reason I stick to what fits in my small safe, my fairly large ammunition finger print safe(which is perfect for watches) and my gun cabinet? All bolted to the wall and one only opens with my finger print, even better! (Unless of course someone breaks in and decides to take my finger of my hand to open it😳😱)

Anyway OP just keep going as long as you are happy with what you have ??

Chris

I think Ive got around 18/20 ish at the min and trying my hardest not to buy anymore really trying :)

Journeyman
    I currently have three plus a Casio beater: An Omega Seamaster from 1969, an Omega Speedmaster Professional, and a Citizen Chronomaster HAQ. The Omegas I will never sell: the Seamaster was originally my grandfather's graduation watch, while the Speedmaster has a special meaning for me as well from my own graduation. The Citizen does seem like a keeper, too, feeling like a perfect everyday watch with amazing accuracy.

In the past, I've also owned Grand Seikos, an Omega SMP etc. The most I've had was when I owned a Grand Seiko quartz SBGX061 and a Citizen AQ1000-58B "The Citizen" on top of the ones I own now. It just felt like too much for me though, I could not justify owning so many luxury watches while studying in the university! The current trio seems like a pleasant collection, though I have to say I'm pondering on adding a fourth - either an IWC Mark XV or a Nomos Neomatik. Decisions, decisions.

Craftsman
    I have 9 and will be 10 shortly when I find the right Rolex. I'm generally concerned that with too many watches, it's too many watches to service and look after. I'm not made of money, so I'm trying to concentrate my collecting on watches that will never be sold, and I love. 5 "good" watches, and 5 beaters:

- Tag Heuer Monaco CAW2110 Calibre 12 (2014)
    - Omega Seamaster 300 2254.50 (2006)
    - Omega Speedmaster Professional (2016)
    - Omega Railmaster Aqua Terra 41mm (2008)
    - Rolex something - was going to be a Seadweller but see other thread for Watchmaster.com problems

Meaning the beaters are:

- Steinhart Marine Chronometer II Roman
    - Seiko SKX 007
    - Seiko SKX 013
    - Bulova Accutron II 96B212
    - Casio old school digital

I may start to switch out the beaters for other things, but would like to keep the costs down on these. The big 5 at the top get 98% of the wrist time - so I'd say 5 was enough for me and the beaters are really unnecessary (apart from doing plastering in).

I have a few myself and sometime wonder if it is too much, but you're here for a good time not a long time...enjoy it

Breitlings:
    Superocean Heritage
    Navitimer Fighter Edition
    Navitimer World
    Cockpit B50
    Chronomat 44

Bulova:
    Precisionist Rose Gold
    Precisionist Stainless Steel
    Curv - Titanium

Tissot:
    PRC200 Auto chrono
    T - Touch Expert

Tag Heuer:
    Carrera Chrono

Oris:
    Small Second

Omega:
    Planet Ocean Chrono
    Planet Ocean

Seiko:
    Sportura Kinetic
    Classic (not sure of actual model)

Orient:
    Aviator Watch

+ about 5 cheap watches I use for beaters (I think)

Currently 17 and have space for 2 more then i am done. For sure. Deffo.

About 30 seems to be my number. I've tried reducing several times but failed.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    1: Speedmaster pro stepped dial -71.
    2:Speedmaster MK2 (being serviced).
    3: Seamaster Baby Plo Prof.
    4: Seamaster Great White.
    5: Seamaster 2254 sword hands.
    6: Constellation hidden crown
    7: Seiko UFO
    8: Seiko Bullhead
    9: Seiko Pogue
    10: Seiko Pogue(being serviced)
    11: Seiko Orange Monster 1st Gen.
    12: Seiko BFK
    13: Zenith Sporto
    14: Dad's old dress watch
    15: Grandads old general issue Smiths Pocket watch.

Might do Seiko chop to help towards a Heuer Daytona or a Speedmaster MKIV
    Difficulty now is swapping out any mid range watch that I really like in my collection to buy a collectible at £4-6k. Don't want to swap what I have, neither do I have the cash to buy at £4-6k without swapping so that's me done I reckon.
    Though MJGerard is about right so do what he advises. Servicing plays a major part.

Master
    Currently about a dozen here, these include; a few modern Seiko, Rollie 116600, Bremont TN, IWC mk XV Spitfire; some vintage Seiko, Longines and Zenith plus a nice Hamilton Pan-Europ. I have a few battered quartz watches as well.

By challenge now, like for many here I suppose, is to upgrade the collection. I want to get down to about half a dozen "grail"-type watches with a Tudor BB possibly chrono and Breguet XXI my next two targets. I need to save up a bit having just got the Rollie though !

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post

I remember your original thread. Absolutely amazing collection !