closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch repair - when to cut your losses...

Watch repair - when to cut your losses...

Based on the advice of a few members here I sent my Aqua Terra off to Omega for a full service and to be honest I wasn't quite prepared for the quote that came back... nearly £1600!!!

Apparently not only is the date wheel mechanism shot, but the inside is also rusted to buggery and could well require a replacement module.

So I guess my new question is when is enough enough? Don't get me wrong, its a lovely watch and surprisingly subtle for something with a mother of pearl dial and diamond markers, but a part of me wonders if I'm better off cutting my losses and trying to recoup what it owes me.

Any input gratefully received, even if its only a comforting virtual pat on the shoulder...

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_lazers View Post
    Based on the advice of a few members here I sent my Aqua Terra off to Omega for a full service and to be honest I wasn't quite prepared for the quote that came back... nearly £1600!!!

Apparently not only is the date wheel mechanism shot, but the inside is also rusted to buggery and could well require a replacement module.

So I guess my new question is when is enough enough? Don't get me wrong, its a lovely watch and surprisingly subtle for something with a mother of pearl dial and diamond markers, but a part of me wonders if I'm better off cutting my losses and trying to recoup what it owes me.

Any input gratefully received, even if its only a comforting virtual pat on the shoulder...
    First have a *virtual pat on the shoulder*.

You're asking a very personal question - it really depends if the watch has any sentimental value and if so, how much.

If the watch is just a commodity, then it's simple math - does the resell value outweigh the cost of repair + your time.

Master
    How would you go about recouping what it owes you if without a service it is only fit for the junk draw?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    First have a *virtual pat on the shoulder*.

You're asking a very personal question - it really depends if the watch has any sentimental value and if so, how much.

If the watch is just a commodity, then it's simple math - does the resell value outweigh the cost of repair + your time.
    Haha, thanks for that!

In terms of sentimental value there's none whatsoever, so I guess we're onto point 2.

At this point I'd tolerate breaking even so I should probably start getting some quotes for trading it in - I'm assuming that trying to sell it as-is isn't going to get me very far!

Master
    eBay as a non runner / spares or repairs and I reckon you'll get more than you were expecting.

I saw a completely knackered PO go for £1420 a few months ago and that was rusted inside after a HE accident...

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    eBay as a non runner / spares or repairs and I reckon you'll get more than you were expecting.

I saw a completely knackered PO go for £1420 a few months ago and that was rusted inside after a HE accident...
    Okay, now that's certainly food for thought.

As a project for someone with the skills it'd probably be a worthwhile investment - the case and bracelet are good, it has all of the relevant boxes and papers (guarantee, COA card for the diamonds, etc.) and even the requisite spare links.

Perhaps most galling of all is the fact it has a warranty card from an omega service 3 years ago and as far as I knew nobody had gone inside the case in that time, so quite what's caused all of the damage is beyond me.

Perhaps most galling of all is the fact it has a warranty card from an omega service 3 years ago and as far as I knew nobody had gone inside the case in that time, so quite what's caused all of the damage is beyond me.
    So Omega is saying that in the three years since the last service the date mechanism has shagged and the movement has turned to rust? I find that hard to believe unless it's suffered water ingress?

Master

Personal

To me it always depends on what attachment you have to the watch really?? I spent £156 recently on getting a watch serviced and sold it for £140 so I'm hardly the best person to answer the question!!!
    Sometimes I genuinly feel like the watch comes to life once it's repaired and we are just custodians so I do maybe over humanise these inanament objects but I do like getting a watch working that anyone else would throw away as the cost of servicing outways what they are worth?!?!

For the Omega in question if it means something to you I would get it done but if there is no attachment then flog it for spares or throw it through an auction?

Chris

Is it not worth getting a second opinion on what actually needs replacing. Omega, like Rolex will want to replace everything to make the watch 100% perfect again - at a hefty price.

Why not let STS or Genesis have a look at it and give you a quote for what actually needs doing and what could be left as is.

Just a thought.

Good points all round.

Yes, I do think it might be worth preserving beyond its monetary value - its easily one of the most comfortable watches I own and surprisingly practical as its far less flashy than it sounds.

That said, Omega are going to sting me for £45 just in postage costs if I don't have the work done and although I may be being silly, coupled with a catastrophic failure three years after a service (only one year after the service warranty ran out) the whole experience has left me with a slightly sour taste.

Would Genesis and STS be my best bets then? I'll be passing the former in a couple of weeks so I could drop it off in person if they're amenable.

'Cough' insurance claim.

PS, not for theft or loss I hasten to add, accidental damage due to crown out, which is quite likely the cause.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Sure you could find a replacement movement or donor watch on eBay and have it fitted for much less than £1600.

Craftsman
    I'd definitely also suggest to sell, if you don't have any emotional bond.

Sorry if I've missed it but is it a quartz?

Journeyman
    i think the safe thing to do is get a second opinion, as stated Omega would quote to make the watch 100% when actually, it doesn't need to be as new.

Journeyman
    omega once quoted me 40 EUR for 1 screw. they are crazy witht the vintage part prices, but one of the few that will supply them

Quote Originally Posted by Spidermonkey View Post
    omega once quoted me 40 EUR for 1 screw. they are crazy witht the vintage part prices, but one of the few that will supply them
    Wow, that's pretty crazy.

That said, providing that they replace at least 40 screws then it could be a better deal than I thought...

Journeyman
    Wow, that's pretty crazy.

That said, providing that they replace at least 40 screws then it could be a better deal than I thought...

hahah no, it was the outside screw of a Omega Marinemaster. So really just one screw

Would Genesis and STS be my best bets then? I'll be passing the former in a couple of weeks so I could drop it off in person if they're amenable.
    Duncan at Genesis did a lovely job with my SMP recently, but he does get quite busy, so make sure you email him first.

Still, if there's a market for 40 Euro screws then I'm clearly in the wrong business.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Duncan at Genesis did a lovely job with my SMP recently, but he does get quite busy, so make sure you email him first.
    Yeah I think I'm going to do that and suck up the £45 postage costs from Omega.

The service centre I posted it through gave me the impression that Omega hadn't even provided an itemised quote - I'm willing to accept that a watch could need that much work, but I'd have thought that I could at least expect a breakdown of what I'm spending and why.

In retrospect I wish I'd taken it to the boutique in the Trafford Centre in the first instance. They've done so many free bracelet adjustments and other bits and bobs for me I can't help thinking they might have taken the previous service into consideration.

Craftsman
    I think after a second option at STS, if it's still too much, then it's insurance claim as damaged, or eBay listing as a project. The latter, you'll probably be surprised what you'll get for it!

Thanks all - on the basis of all your suggestions I'm going to get the watch back and get some further quotes.

While Omega have it though I'm going to contact them with a copy of my service warranty details to see if this is something that is physically capable of happening within 3 years of a service as I'm sure it can't hurt.

Duncan at Genesis is very good but is struggling to get parts from Omega, I just had a quote of over £400 to replace a crystal on a Seamaster so if parts are required its probably best going with STS or Omega

Grand Master
    OP hasn't stated whether the watch is quartz or co-axial, or whether it's the early or later model.

I find it hard to understand how the watch has deteriorated to such an extent over 3 years unless the watch had suffered water ingress..........and that would be obvious.

Paul

Master
    If it's a co-axial and the whole movement is truly destroyed, wouldn't an ETA 28xx or equivalent Selita drop straight in? I know that's what I would do, if the only other options were to stump up £1600 or toss it in a drawer. At least, for a modest cost, it would be fully functional and usable, look entirely stock and the modification would be wholly reversible. Obviously it would have to be a keeper or fully disclosed in the event of it being moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    OP hasn't stated whether the watch is quartz or co-axial, or whether it's the early or later model.

I find it hard to understand how the watch has deteriorated to such an extent over 3 years unless the watch had suffered water ingress..........and that would be obvious.

Paul
    Sorry, I mentioned it in my original thread and forgot to replicate the description here - its the auto with a co-axial movement, 38.5mm case.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches...3110392155001/

I also found the service warranty card and it had a CS1 service on the 28th March 2014 if that's of any relevance?

If its had water ingress, theoretically the only way would be if you forgot to screw the crown in properly, the seals would have been new at service, unless there was a mistake at that service, sadly I expect Omega will say 'user error' and it will be impossible to prove otherwise.

Master
    That price it nuts. Get a second opinion from STS. I can't imagine a total replacement movement is much more than £500 so I think someone is having you over. I am willing to bet that the STS price would be no more than £750 all in.

Just noticed that this model uses the 8500. I suppose it is possible Omega charge silly money for a replacement since it is in house but I would still try STS, you have very little to lose.
    Last edited by Padders; 6th April 2017 at 09:13.

Here's a question - on the service warranty card it provides a number of references including the repair type, number, P.I.C. reference (?), etc.

Does anyone know if its possible to request details of the service from Omega? There's a part of me that's wondering if this problem isn't something new, especially if its been back to them once already within the initial warranty period.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Duncan at Genesis is very good but is struggling to get parts from Omega, I just had a quote of over £400 to replace a crystal on a Seamaster so if parts are required its probably best going with STS or Omega
    £400? Ouch... That's made me think twice about buying a project watch on the cheap!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    If its had water ingress, theoretically the only way would be if you forgot to screw the crown in properly, the seals would have been new at service, unless there was a mistake at that service, sadly I expect Omega will say 'user error' and it will be impossible to prove otherwise.
    I would give omega a try. I had water ingress into a panerai which was sent back under warranty. They fitted a complete new movement and re-certified same with no questions or quibbles. As it was circa 18cm old it was still under warranty.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I would give omega a try. I had water ingress into a panerai which was sent back under warranty. They fitted a complete new movement and re-certified same with no questions or quibbles. As it was circa 18cm old it was still under warranty.
    But the watch above is now over a year out of the service warranty period of 2 years. It doesn't hurt to ask for some goodwill but it wouldn't surprise me if Omega refuse as the cause of water ingress is a tricky one to prove if indeed that is the issue here.

Master
    Always worth an ask??

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    If it was for your SMP, STS (and probably OSC) would charge about £110 plus VAT for that sapphire crystal, even after the compulsory fitting cost you are looking at less than £200 all in. The parts restrictions are making independents totally uncompetitive on Omega repairs which need any genuine parts beyond the mundane.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Always worth an ask??

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Definitely.
    Cheers..
    Jase

The movement in my Aerospace failed 1 year out of warranty. Breitling repaired it for the cost of a battery change.

Well despite being an official Omega Service Centre the Watch Hospital in Preston didn't seem to want to be all that helpful when I went in for more information on the quote, so I'm going to ask them for a reference number and take it up with the Boutique in the Trafford Centre instead - they always fall over themselves to help whenever I've been in so hopefully they might have more clout with the main outfit...

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    The movement in my Aerospace failed 1 year out of warranty. Breitling repaired it for the cost of a battery change.
    Not wanting to turn this into an Omega-bashing exercise (I've owned four in total of various ages and they've all seemed up to task), but I'm thinking of exchanging some of mine for Breitlings as the ones I've had have never seemed anything short of indestructible.

I've never heard any complaints about their servicing department either, although I'm sure there will be someone who may disagree...

Grand Master
    Why not talk to the guys who've given the quote and find out exactly what they're replacing and how they've come up with the numbers? I'm guessing the watch is water-damaged and if that's the case the quote may include a new movement. I've worked on a few water-damaged watches; whilst some parts have to be replaced others are still servicable even though they're stained.

Why not contact Simon Freese (ex STS workshop manager) who's just set up on his own? I'd expect an Omega accredited repairer who has access to parts would be the best bet.

One thing I can't stress highly enough: discuss the job with the guy who's doing the work!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Why not contact Simon Freese (ex STS workshop manager) who's just set up on his own?
    Thanks - any idea where I'd find him? The only references I can find on t'interwebs are all in relation to STS.

Thanks - any idea where I'd find him? The only references I can find on t'interwebs are all in relation to STS.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=Freese

Mark

Its definitely worth getting a second opinion from a independent, we have seen some great rescue jobs done on water damaged watches if the repairer is prepared to take the time to clean each piece, I expect for a Omega service centre the default position on encountering a water damaged watch is to replace the movement as its quick and lucrative to do so.

Master
    As Jason said definitely worth a second opinion. Also seems out of step with their usual costs. Perhaps I got lucky but I bought an old Speedie from auction. The hands were replaced, crown replaced, hesalite replaced, serviced and lovely case restoration. The bill came in at £570. I thought that was actually ok.

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post

Yup, I'll second this, I've seem some very tired looking watches go for much more than expected.

Watch repair - when to cut your losses...

Maybe I missed it in the thread, but has the watch been submersed at any point, or have you showered in it?

The seals should be good 3 years after service, and even with the crown out I would have thought there was enough protection from recent gaskets.

I would definitely ask about a goodwill gesture as you have had it properly serviced. Unless you have been diving with the crown unscrewed, water shouldn't get into a recently serviced watch, even with a contributing user error.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

And for those who asked I've never submerged the watch or used it in any hostile environment - my Aquis or Hydroconquest usually share that dubious honour!

I'm hoping (praying) that the suggestion of a goodwill gesture gets me somewhere, although there is a small part of me that wonders if I could totally trust them to service it properly and I'd almost prefer a decent independent to do it.

Grand Master
    If the watch hasn`t been submerged, and has never steamed up owing to water ingress, I`m really puzzled! Watches don`t rust inside if they don`t get wet. I often work on old watches that have had water ingress and apart from some cosmetic rusting they can usually be sorted out without problems. OK, they don`t look as pretty inside, but they can usually be made to run properly.

Get a thorough explanation from the guy who's given the quote, get him to justify the cost. Next step is to get the watch back and send it to someone who can get Omega parts and service the cal 8500.

As for seals deteriorating etc, they should be good for at least 10-15 years! Even if the watch wasn`t sealing correctly it would be obvious by the misting up.....which presumably hasn`t happened.

Something's definitely not right here!

Paul

I might find the price scandalous if we had all the details...

...quote "from Omega"
    ...quote via the Watch Hospital?
    ...quote for what EXACTLY?

Speak to Omega with your repair reference number and ask for an itemised breakdown of necessary vs. recommended work. Not to mention confirmation of the price (to confirm there is no padding by the Watch Hospital).

To the OP, I don't understand why you haven't got this info before getting all flustered/starting this thread TBH.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    I might find the price scandalous if we had all the details...

...quote "from Omega"
    ...quote via the Watch Hospital?
    ...quote for what EXACTLY?

Speak to Omega with your repair reference number and ask for an itemised breakdown of necessary vs. recommended work. Not to mention confirmation of the price (to confirm there is no padding by the Watch Hospital).

To the OP, I don't understand why you haven't got this info before getting all flustered/starting this thread TBH.
    +1.........my gut feeling is that the OP's not shared all the details.

I spent 30+ years in a problem-solving role ..... most conundrums are easily understood when all the info's available.

As I stated previously, something's not quite right here.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 7th April 2017 at 00:58.