closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: HELP! Best adhesive to repair a pottery mug?

Craftsman

HELP! Best adhesive to repair a pottery mug?

Need to fix a handle back on my favourite mug. Can anyone recommend the best fixative for a really strong bond?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Two part epoxy- used it in the past with great success.

Gorilla glue is meant to be pretty good.
    Wet the surface before bonding and only use a small amount as the glue expands a fair bit and will ooze out from the joint.

Clean the areas very good and use a good quality super glue...

Master
    Were you intending to carry on using the mug? Most of the adhesives, including epoxies, have a bond that is weakened by heat and moisture, so at any time the bond may fail and dump the hot contents of said mug in your lap/computer/favourite child. Cyanoacrylates (superglues) are particularly prone to this mode of failure, but I wouldn't really trust any of them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    Were you intending to carry on using the mug? Most of the adhesives, including epoxies, have a bond that is weakened by heat and moisture, so at any time the bond may fail and dump the hot contents of said mug in your lap/computer/favourite child. Cyanoacrylates (superglues) are particularly prone to this mode of failure, but I wouldn't really trust any of them.
    I was hoping to Mike. Maybe need to rethink that given what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I used some Gorilla glue to repair an ornamental plate that had fallen off the wall - that was a couple of years ago and its still holding strong now

^^This^^

I am not back into the UK until Monday but I can send you some that will sort your issue.

Blog Entries
    Used this to repair a large pottery fruit basket. Still ok a year later.

Whatever adhesive used, avoid the dishwasher for that mug, the heat and moisture are tough on any joint.

I'd probably go for a serious epoxy, like west system, loctite e-120hp, or if these are too much, look for epoxies with longer curing times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Useful link, thanks

This is the best way.
    https://youtu.be/vKWfW-MIRHc

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    ^^This^^

I am not back into the UK until Monday but I can send you some that will sort your issue.
    Really appreciate the offer but already ordered some. It will come in handy for a few things if not the mug.

Master
    RE: Gorilla Glue (Gorilla is a brand of glues nowadays and includes polyurethanes, epoxies, PVA and cyanoacrylates. It is assumed that previous remarks refer to Polyurethane single-component glue), a good adhesive when used within the design parameters.

Technical specification for a comparable industrial adhesive states "Heat resistance - Due to the decreased value in bond strength at elevated temperatures, we do not recommend use of this product above 190°F (88°C)"

In other words to use for hot tea, you would be working at the extremes, or even just beyond, it's design temperature, where bond strength is severely reduced.

Similarly, cyanoacrylate "Superglue" is normally rated to a design temperature of around 80 degrees Celsius, well below the temperature of boiling water.
    Epoxies fare a little better for short term exposure to heat, perhaps to 150 degrees Celsius, but long term service temperatures can be as low as 50 degrees Celsius. Bond strength at 100 degrees is typically only 20-25% of the bond strength at room temperatures. "High-temperature" industrial epoxies are available for specific manufacturing applications, but these are not widely available to the general public.

I really recommend mending your favourite mug but use it as a pencil pot, or for decoration, to avoid a very painful accident.
    Last edited by UKMike; 1st April 2017 at 10:52.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    RE: Gorilla Glue (Gorilla is a brand of glues nowadays and includes polyurethanes, epoxies, PVA and cyanoacrylates. It is assumed that previous remarks refer to Polyurethane single-component glue), a good adhesive when used within the design parameters.

Technical specification for a comparable industrial adhesive states "Heat resistance - Due to the decreased value in bond strength at elevated temperatures, we do not recommend use of this product above 190°F (88°C)"

In other words to use for hot tea, you would be working at the extremes, or even just beyond, it's design temperature, where bond strength is severely reduced.

Similarly, cyanoacrylate "Superglue" is normally rated to a design temperature of around 80 degrees Celsius, well below the temperature of boiling water.
    Epoxies fare a little better for short term exposure to heat, perhaps to 150 degrees Celsius, but long term service temperatures can be as low as 50 degrees Celsius. Bond strength at 100 degrees is typically only 20-25% of the bond strength at room temperatures. "High-temperature" industrial epoxies are available for specific manufacturing applications, but these are not widely available to the general public.

I really recommend mending your favourite mug but use it as a pencil pot, or for decoration, to avoid a very painful accident.
    Thanks Mike. Duly noted. Time to find another favourite mug methinks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    This is the best way.
    https://youtu.be/vKWfW-MIRHc
    ^^^ this ^^^ but I am not sure it will hold on any other day than April Fool's Day....
    Last edited by thieuster; 3rd April 2017 at 08:10.

Araldite rapid certainly softens with heat - I've used that characteristic in the past to reposition things.

I've been using Sugru.

But if it were a really good piece, I'd try and find a practitioner of kintsukuroi.

Grand Master
    No matter how good a job you do of repairing the handle the mug will never be safe for hot drinks.......think about it.

Also think about the adhesive softening slightly due to the heat in the mug. You're repairing the thing at the most stressed point, it really isn't a good idea in my view.

Bin it and get another.

Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    No matter how good a job you do of repairing the handle the mug will never be safe for hot drinks.......think about it.

Also think about the adhesive softening slightly due to the heat in the mug. You're repairing the thing at the most stressed point, it really isn't a good idea in my view.

Bin it and get another.

Paul
    I've come to that conclusion Paul. Thank you all for your input.

Bin it and get another.

Paul
    I take it you've never used Sugru then?

Grand Master
    Never heard of it.

I`m no expert on ceramics, but I would never trust a handle that's been repaired on a pot unless it was drilled and pinned in some way......and that's taking it to the extreme for a mug!

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 3rd April 2017 at 22:52.

Never heard of it.

I`m no expert on ceramics, but I would never trust a handle that's been repaired on a pot unless it was drilled and pinned in some way......and that's taking it to the extreme for a mug!

Paul
    It's heat-resistant silicone rubber; I wouldn't use it on the inside of a mug, but have used it on handles. There are even instructions online to use it to create a heatproof handle for a saucepan, or heatproof ring for the bottom of a mug to stop it damaging surfaces. Interesting stuff. Local too.

https://sugru.com/about

HELP! Best adhesive to repair a pottery mug?

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    It's heat-resistant silicone rubber; I wouldn't use it on the inside of a mug, but have used it on handles. There are even instructions online to use it to create a heatproof handle for a saucepan, or heatproof ring for the bottom of a mug to stop it damaging surfaces. Interesting stuff. Local too.

https://sugru.com/about
    A functional repair maybe but won't look good.

This is the right stuff.... https://www.milliput.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    A functional repair maybe but won't look good.
    Hence my comment in previous post about kintsukuroi. It's an aesthetic. It's not invisible mending.