closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed - Car Parked in Front of my House

Advice Needed - Car Parked in Front of my House

I've already called my local council but I have been informed there is nothing they can do. I know there's been a few threads on this, so would welcome some real life experience.

For the past few months a terrible blight has bestowed the front of my house. A monstrosity of a car, a grey Nissan Qashqai.

I have asked the owner why he parks there and could he stop. I live in Milton Keynes, he has told me he works in Northampton. He meets with another 1 or 2 colleagues each morning, then they leave one of their cars outside my house and car share to Northampton. Because I work more local then them I see the car as I leave for work and then when I return home. It therefore feels like it's permanently there.

He is not doing me any harm, apart from occasionally making it difficult to reverse on my drive and the same for one of my neighbours opposite. Plus I am fed up of looking at such an ugly car!! It feels like I no longer have the front of my house, he has laid claim to it. Although I respect him and his colleagues for car sharing and doing their bit for the environment (well probably just saving costs) I do not understand why my house is the chosen car meeting place and resulting car park! I choose to leave here because it's an otherwise quiet street.

I've included a picture because it's the customary thing to do.

Apart from asking him again, which means hanging out my window ready to pounce when he arrives, does anyone have any suggestions?

You will see my red Alfa behind his hideous excuse for a car. I do park in that spot (when I can) when I need to move cars on and off my drive way. Like today when I wanted to take the 147 out. Apart from that most houses on my street have ample drive ways and there is very little parked on the street.

If it is the public highway and his vehicle is taxed and insured, there is nothing you can do.
    Unfortunately, folk rarely own the road outside their house and in reality he has as much of a right to park there as you or anyone else.
    Not much help I appreciate.

If it was me - I would find a friend with a spare car and ask them to park there and leave their car there for a week or two...
    chummy in the Qashqai will find somewhere else to park and being a creature of habit will probably then continue to park in that new location.

There are lots of other ways to deal with this situation ... but remember, he can move his car, you can't move your house .. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Fill the space with your own vehicles so they go elsewhere for a few weeks. Might prevent them returning.

Failing that get a pet seagul to sit on their car and cr@p all day.

Park your alfa there overnight
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    If this summary is accurate:
    1. Car is parked during working hours only, which coincide with you being at work apart from the small(?) overlap in the morning and again in the afternoon/ evening. So you don't see a great deal of it, and it's gone in the evening?
    2. Space on the road isn't one which you would normally use for your own cars because your drive is ample in size (and you're at work predominantly anyway)
    3. The Nissan is nowhere near the dropped kerb area, so doesn't prevent access and egress
    4. The bushes look as though they pretty much completely obscure the view of it from the house, so you just see it when entering or exiting the drive?

Then whilst I fully understand the annoyance because of the territorial nature of us as men (I'd be exactly the same if I were you), from a third party perspective it sounds like very little to be upset about.

Master
    I feel for you, as you have excellent taste in motor vehicles and the other owner has none.

Master
    I'd thank your lucky stars that your life is so idyllic such a trivial matter seems important.

It feels like I no longer have the front of my house, he has laid claim to it.
    There's a bloody great bush between the car and the front of your house, I really can't see how he's laid claim to it.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    There's a bloody great bush between the car and the front of your house, I really can't see how he's laid claim to it.
    It's an ugly car. That's good enough reason in my book
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Yes he's not breaking the law and yes he's as entitled to it as anyone else . . . . . . . However this would also wind me up to!

Like others have said only reasonable answer is to park one of your cars in his spot for a few weeks and hope he's moved on.

Out of interest when you asked him why he parked there, did you ask him to stop? If so what did he say?

Master
    Ultimately he's not committing a crime of any kind so the only way round it if it's driving you so crazy, is for you is to buy yourself a snotter, tax and insure it, and put it in the space when he's not using it.

I'm not suggesting you would do, but please don't revert to the dick move of damaging or vandalising his car!

take a bucket of yellow paint and paint double line at the curb. problem solved :)

I'll admit to having just woken up after a little nap so forgive me if my comment appears to be a little curt but for Christ's sake, get a f***** life.
    Move on and deal with it !

Blog Entries
    Surprised one of the TZ-UK poo brigade has not yet piped up with some innovative solution!

Bit early for an April Fool gag.

Craftsman
    You mention cars, so assuming you have more than one. Just park one of your cars there for a while and he'll go somewhere else.

Have you considered looking out for them and everytime he arrives pop out and have a conversation with him?

That would do the trick if it was me parking there

Blog Entries
    He he 3rd world problems hey !
    Unfortunately there is no answer here - just wait it out if you can and hope he finds another spot

Master
    As others have said, park your car there and hope that he finds a different favoured spot to park in

Cheers all.

The post was semi serious.

I know it is 100% a 1st world problem, and there are much bigger issues to deal with. It's just a really ugly car and it's very annoying.

It's there from before 8 until after 8 some days. Almost all of the time I'm outside my house is there.

I do have more than one car, so I can park there. But I'm not interested in leaving my cars on the road overnight. That's why I have a drive. Besides I'm not interested in blocking/making it awkward for my opposite neighbour to go on/off their drive.

He has said in the past that he'll stop parking there. I'll just have to ask him again.

I know I have a huge bush in front of the house. But that it coming churn soon to be replaced by a fence. Even more reason I don't want to see a fugly grey box outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    I'd thank your lucky stars that your life is so idyllic such a trivial matter seems important.
    You're absolutely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It's an ugly car. That's good enough reason in my book
    That's the crux of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Have you considered looking out for them and everytime he arrives pop out and have a conversation with him?

That would do the trick if it was me parking there
    This is a great idea.
    Adopt a Mrs Doyle persona and trundle a trolley out there with some tea/sandwiches and force a brew on him in a "ga-waan, ga-waan" type of a way while asking if he's had a busy day, would he like to come in and watch Masterchef etc.. Done in the evening when he'll be keen to head off, I reckon it'd work a treat.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by r1ch; 31st March 2017 at 19:49.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    if it bothered me that much, I would go and buy a banger that was MOT'd and Taxed and park it there for a month or so, he would soon find another spot.

another one that works, is some cornflour and jam, mix it up and splatter some drops on his windscreen, and around the car each day, after a week (if he is still there) casually stroll past and discuss the seagull problem in your area....

Neurotic

Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    I've already called my local council but I have been informed there is nothing they can do. I know there's been a few threads on this, so would welcome some real life experience.

For the past few months a terrible blight has bestowed the front of my house. A monstrosity of a car, a grey Nissan Qashqai.

I have asked the owner why he parks there and could he stop. I live in Milton Keynes, he has told me he works in Northampton. He meets with another 1 or 2 colleagues each morning, then they leave one of their cars outside my house and car share to Northampton. Because I work more local then them I see the car as I leave for work and then when I return home. It therefore feels like it's permanently there.

He is not doing me any harm, apart from occasionally making it difficult to reverse on my drive and the same for one of my neighbours opposite. Plus I am fed up of looking at such an ugly car!! It feels like I no longer have the front of my house, he has laid claim to it. Although I respect him and his colleagues for car sharing and doing their bit for the environment (well probably just saving costs) I do not understand why my house is the chosen car meeting place and resulting car park! I choose to leave here because it's an otherwise quiet street.

I've included a picture because it's the customary thing to do.

Apart from asking him again, which means hanging out my window ready to pounce when he arrives, does anyone have any suggestions?

You will see my red Alfa behind his hideous excuse for a car. I do park in that spot (when I can) when I need to move cars on and off my drive way. Like today when I wanted to take the 147 out. Apart from that most houses on my street have ample drive ways and there is very little parked on the street.

I feel your pain
    I live on a beautiful open plan estate
    The dick head next door has a huge plot and can easily fit three cars on
    However he prefers to park right across the end of my lawn!
    I've left notes on the windscreen etc
    He's a dick head end of
    I know it will escalate
    I paid to live on an estate that has open views of my garden down to the drop kerb
    Not to look out at an A3 saloon or whatever sack of poo it is

Then both of your should pay for a dropped kerb and say you are extending the width of your driveways. £5k will end your unbelievably petty woes.

Why not buy a beautiful old Alfa Romeo and park it there instead. They're impossible to start on damp mornings, incredibly unreliable and cheap as chips when they're a few years old. But they look lovely when parked 😋

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

** Christ ! lol I bet the OP is thinking ..."I wish I never started this thread ... the Qashqui man suddenly looks more favourable .."

Haha

I can just imagine Qashqai man rocking up to work in Northampton and saying to his mates "Be grateful you don't live in Milton Keynes. There's some right nutters!"

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    ..."Be grateful you don't live in Milton Keynes...
    That's pretty much a given, isn't it, regardless of where you live/work.

A friend of mine did a year contracting in MK and it affected him quite badly - to the point where he goes round car boot sales etc buying up old maps, RAC books and the like from before MK existed.

Craftsman
    I had a similar problem, when I asked my neighbour why he persisted in parking his hi top van outside my house, he replied because if he parked it outside his own it would block out the sunlight.....

Every Sunday the lads at the golf club used to wait for the weekly update, and it culminated in one of the lads who had a "red route removal truck" threatening to put said van inside his front garden one night (which had no driveway...)

Everyday I woke up and peaked out the curtains praying it was still in the street

I ended up moving as things escalated and would have ended badly for one of us

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Great thread.... some of the comments really made me laugh

Banned
    I'm with you on this, you don't have a right to stop them parking in front of your house but things happen like a delivery truck knocking his wing mirror off or spontaneous instant punctures.

Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    I'm with you on this, you don't have a right to stop them parking in front of your house but things happen like a delivery truck knocking his wing mirror off or spontaneous instant punctures.
    Legally there is nothing you can do. If you have small children then pointing this out (nicely) can work, it has for me in the past.

It is always sad when accidents like punctured tyres happen. But remember it's also sad when accidents like "brick through house window" happen!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Legally there is nothing you can do. If you have small children then pointing this out (nicely) can work, it has for me in the past.

It is always sad when accidents like punctured tyres happen. But remember it's also sad when accidents like "brick through house window" happen!
    Some good points Kirk, I'll make a note of it, positive thinking helps me get over the fact that somone might retaliate.

Master
    Just get over it. Your blood pressure will be better for it.

Our street has very limited parking but there is room for 8 cars, and with technically only 4 houses it should be a doddle. However, we have a doctors surgery 2 minutes away with no car park, and one resident (not a resident of the street, but his house is just on the corner on the main road) who has a works van, his own car, his wifes car and two daughters - though they have now mercifully flown the nest. That makes things a bit awkward, but with some newly built flats over the main road with almost no parking (a common theme with new-builds), we did have a couple of newbies using our street as a car park.

I wasn't particularly bothered, but the wife definitely is. I told her the same thing r1ch said in the very first response to this thread...
    "If it is the public highway and his vehicle is taxed and insured, there is nothing you can do.
    Unfortunately, folk rarely own the road outside their house and in reality he has as much of a right to park there as you or anyone else."

...but as we know, women can be a bit slow on the uptake. And fair play, while it's legally ok to park your car wherever, there is still such a thing as common courtesy. Long story short she got to the point where she wouldn't even take the car out in the evening - leave an empty space after 6pm and it'll be filled immediately.

**EDIT** Heavily edited. Long story but thanks to the 710, and despite me not giving a toss about parking, I ended up at war with some bloke and things ended very badly. He was a grade A tw@ but has now moved. I am not proud.

Anyway, leave it be. It's a car, parked on a bit of tarmac which is owned and maintained by the council. You have parking on your property which is not impeded (ok, maybe a teeny tiny bit) but other that you not liking his car, he's not actually putting you our at all.
    Try to buy the little square of tarmac if you really can't stand the thought of your house being parked NEAR by a stranger, or just put the anger in a bubble and let it float off into space, it's a silly thing that will just end up causing you stress, and there is enough of that in life today.
    Last edited by kevkojak; 31st March 2017 at 23:55.

Craftsman
    If you are that bothered which in the scheme of things might be over reaction and worth a trip to a medical professional , follow the chap home and confront him on his door step , make sure the neighbours and family can hear and tell him if he keeps stalking you things will escalate with the Police etc .
    See if he parks outside again ...

Master
    If you were to park your car further to your drive enterance so that he didn't have room to park his car without blocking the enterance he'd have to move further down the road.

Or find out his name and Where he works and put his car on gumtree and a stupidly low price with his work telephone number won't help the parking but would be funny.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Then both of your should pay for a dropped kerb and say you are extending the width of your driveways. £5k will end your unbelievably petty woes.
    I'm pretty sure when I had my aggro I looked into this and at that time a drop kerb only prevented someone parking over it if it prevented you getting out, if there's no car in the drive then the drop kerb did not prevent you parking there

Not sure if this is still the case though

Also, the woes really start once things escalate, my situation turned very nasty and very quickly, moving away seemed better than going to prison

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by BaBa View Post
    If this summary is accurate:
    1. Car is parked during working hours only, which coincide with you being at work apart from the small(?) overlap in the morning and again in the afternoon/ evening. So you don't see a great deal of it, and it's gone in the evening?
    2. Space on the road isn't one which you would normally use for your own cars because your drive is ample in size (and you're at work predominantly anyway)
    3. The Nissan is nowhere near the dropped kerb area, so doesn't prevent access and egress
    4. The bushes look as though they pretty much completely obscure the view of it from the house, so you just see it when entering or exiting the drive?

Then whilst I fully understand the annoyance because of the territorial nature of us as men (I'd be exactly the same if I were you), from a third party perspective it sounds like very little to be upset about.
    Looooool!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

start washing car around a time owner returns and act surprised - is that really your car? apologies, my eyesight is not that good these days anymore. then throw soap water on his car and leave. repeat next day and I guarantee you will never see him again.

I live in a street with a church at the bottom of the road, so you can imagine the cars parked around the place when they are being god pests.

Anyway...I have had numerous issues with people parking ACROSS my driveway to which the police advise they can park there, aslong as they are not blocking me in as its not against the law to prevent access to my drive by car, but is for egress So, I had a long conversation with the police and the council on this to which I was advised to speak with the Minister to see if he could deliver a message to his flock, which I did and strenuously objected to his parishioners parking and attitude when i approached them (I was nice btw and they were cheeky feckers towards me and thought it was acceptable), it did make a difference actually in all honesty.

So...6 weeks ago, me and the good lady were going to dinner, when we went outside there was 2 car parked across the drive completely blocking us in. Police called and one was moved, the other was from a house around the corner who was severely spoken to and got a £100 fine for his troubles. Police were going to have it lifted at one point as they couldn't locate the owner. As a result we missed our reservation.

So, in your situation, parking outside your house on a public road is going to be very difficult to resolve quickly or long term as he is doing nothing illegal, the guy in the car probably knows he is getting on your tits aswell by parking there and will continue. The idea of having a parked car there for a few weeks to sit idle maybe the best option if you can manufacture this to deter him in the future. Or do you know anyone who works in the roads dept. that can provide you barriers for a week or 2?

Blog Entries

Pay for a skip for a couple of weeks and go to a breakers and buy loads of Nissan parts and lob them in the skip - he'll get the message

Or just let it go and rise above it - I suspect he won't work there forever so eventually he will be gone ....

Blog Entries
    I'd get a skip and do some gardening, put your rubbish in so in effect your getting two things out of one - he's not getting his space and your cleaning out any tat -

Blog Entries

Or you could do an Axel foley and put a Banana in his tailpipe

IMG_6888.JPG

Master
    Blog Entries
    Follow him home, then you both know where each other live which levels the playing field.

Then I'd point out to him that whist you know he's doing nothing wrong it is getting on your wick ... if he doesn't stop then have another chat and advise him you will park a scrapper outside his house if he continues.

He's not likely to be some sort of gangster so this should do the trick.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Follow him home, then you both know where each other live which levels the playing field.

Then I'd point out to him that whist you know he's doing nothing wrong it is getting on your wick ... if he doesn't stop then have another chat and advise him you will park a scrapper outside his house if he continues.

He's not likely to be some sort of gangster so this should do the trick.

Seriously? Jeeeesus..