closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dynotron love - what have you got?

Dynotron love - what have you got?

I picked up this Dynotron recently. It's electronic but not quartz or tuning fork. The ESA 9154 movement is from the first series of movements that had both transistors and a balance wheel.

Other eccentricities include indices that look like tiny transistors, an inner case that presses out of the brushed and polished outer case, and the balance wheel also being powered and acting as the motor.

A dead end technology from the late '60s/early '70s that I find fascinating. I know that there some other expert members on here and I'd love to see or hear about your experiences with similar watches. I found out quite a bit more here.

I haven't decided on a strap or bracelet yet - suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by alfat33; 28th March 2017 at 16:21.

I can't recall whether this is the 9154 or the 9157 I'm afraid...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Only a Seiko

Although it was discontinued architecture, the technology was instrumental for the development of quartz watches. So a bit like dinosaurs and birds.

Here an earlier post about it:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...erent-incoming
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 27th March 2017 at 16:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    That's very cool, especially on the bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Although it was discontinued architecture, the technology was instrumental for the development of quartz watches. So a bit like dinosaurs and birds.
    A nice analogy - a dinosaur watch but without it there would be no birds.

Master
    I've had a couple down the years. Pretty cool watches and an interesting phase in timekeeping. Still remarkably reasonable in price too. I love the transistors on the the dial. You get a lot of that "futurist" type stuff on dials of the time whenever battery power in present.

Thanks Wibbs. I know you have a lot of cool electronica.

It does need a service, and even getting the back off doesn't seem easy. Any servicing suggestions?

Master
    The main two I know of and would highly recommend are Electric Watches UK and fellow TZer KeithT

Many thanks.

I love the minute markers on that Helvetia; very much of their time and the better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I love the minute markers on that Helvetia; very much of their time and the better for it.
    I think there was an Avia with essentially the same dial. In the flesh the dial actually has a nice textured finish.

It took me a while to notice another oddity. There are only three 'transistors' between each hour marker, which means that the minutes are actually marked by the gaps between them. Threw me a bit the first time I tried to set the time :).

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I picked up this Dynotron recently. It's electronic but not quartz or tuning fork. The ESA 9154 movement is from the first series of movements that had both transistors and a balance wheel.

Other eccentricities include indices that look like tiny transistors, an inner case that presses out of the brushed and polished outer case, and the balance wheel also being powered and acting as the motor.

A dead end technology from the late '60s/early '70s that I find fascinating. I know that there some other expert members on here and I'd love to see or hear about your experiences with similar watches. I found out quite a bit more here.

I haven't decided on a strap or bracelet yet - suggestions welcome.
    Hi Simon,

Thought I'd resurrect this thread with this one I've just acquired. Bit battered but it was only £25 and the ESA 9154 movement is so interesting.

Advertised as not running correctly and when it arrived the seconds hand was off. After a bit of fiddling I worked out the dial was loose and only held on by the hands and this was causing the hands to rub and the seconds hand to catch or fall completely off!

Reattached the dial properly, hands back on, gave the bits of the case that should be polished a bit of a polish and it works like a charm.

Don't think the bracelet is original or correct so need to find something to put it on? Suggestions anyone?

Carl

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    Don't think the bracelet is original or correct so need to find something to put it on? Suggestions anyone?
    Just found this identical Sandoz, another SGT brand, bracelet seems to fit better, maybe has fitted end links.

And also this Royce, NATO looks OK!

Hi Carl,
    I saw that one and thought about bidding on the hunch it would be a straightforward fix. It’s come up really well and these electromechanical movements seem quite robust, contrary to what I would have thought. I’ve even regulated mine although it does need a service. Quite a nice little cam to adjust the timing.

I have mine on a soft leather rally style strap which I think suits it but I think you have quite a few options. Definitely something with a late ‘60s/early ‘70s feel though, something a bit funky.

None in my collection, but Lynn has this one designed by Roger Talon

The back has a raised hump for the battery. I thought it might be uncomfortable, but she says not

Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Journeyman
    Hi Carl,
    I saw that one and thought about bidding on the hunch it would be a straightforward fix. It’s come up really well and these electromechanical movements seem quite robust, contrary to what I would have thought. I’ve even regulated mine although it does need a service. Quite a nice little cam to adjust the timing.

I have mine on a soft leather rally style strap which I think suits it but I think you have quite a few options. Definitely something with a late ‘60s/early ‘70s feel though, something a bit funky.
    Yes, the H-Link bracelet is on is period correct but I think the width at the watch is too wide and should be more like the Sandoz one. Ordered a cheap one from Ebay same as the Sandoz and see what it's like. I'll see what straps I have.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post

The back has a raised hump for the battery. I thought it might be uncomfortable, but she says not
    That's a serious bit of design!

I really like some of the funky 70s designs. Nearest I have is this chrono.

Talking of Dugena they have a link with Helvetia, they used Helvetia movements in the 1960s. Also saw this yesterday on ebay. Dugena logo and Helvetia name?

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post

I always assumed that, when it said "SWISSONIC" on dial, it referred to a tuning fork movement.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I always assumed that, when it said "SWISSONIC" on dial, it referred to a tuning fork movement.
    My electric balance wheel Helvetia also has Swissonic marked on the case.

Dynotron love - what have you got?

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    That’s a cool looking watch.

Roger Talon is famous of course for his work with Lip. In the 1970s Lip had an agreement to supply watches to Dugena. At that time ESA also had a significant share in Lip. To complete the circle, Lip are also credited with making the first electronic watch in the 1950s (electronic because it had a diode in it). Apparently Fred Lip even gave a lecture to the BHI about it.

There is a lot of electro-horological history wrapped up in that watch :).

Roger Talon is famous of course for his work with Lip. In the 1970s Lip had an agreement to supply watches to Dugena. At that time ESA also had a significant share in Lip. To complete the circle, Lip are also credited with making the first electronic watch in the 1950s (electronic because it had a diode in it). Apparently Fred Lip even gave a lecture to the BHI about it.

There is a lot of electro-horological history wrapped up in that watch :).
    Yep. If you look just above the word ELECTRONIC the four bars are indeed a Lip logo.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master

Roger Talon is famous of course for his work with Lip. In the 1970s Lip had an agreement to supply watches to Dugena.
    I've a few Talon LIP models. This one from 1975 using their in house designed quartz(and the only one I've seen with a silvered chapter ring). I also have a near identical LIP Dugena branded one. Well you have to have a spare. This also came with their Lip184 movement as fitted to watches like the Nautic-Ski. They're a big watch even by today's standards and one of the very few watches I've owned that gets comments and stares from non crazy watch people, and nearly all complimentary funny enough.

I also have the "futurist" box for them too.

Not my watch or image.

This is another Talon model that came in both their quartz and 184 movements.

LIP really pushed several boats out back then in both electronic and quartz and design. Though French design has always been quirky and innovative.

Journeyman
    My Talis with ESA 9157 Swissonic movement....Just fitted a NOS circuit to get it going...

And on the Timegrapher, as yet unregulated.....

Master
    I've recently become interested in electronic watches. Over the summer I added a Cosmotron and this Iaxa to my collection. It has a Dynotron 9150 in it. Currently averaging at 0.6 seconds per day which is pretty good.

It is one of my favourites.

Tapatapatapatapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    I've recently become interested in electronic watches. Over the summer I added a Cosmotron and this Iaxa to my collection. It has a Dynotron 9150 in it. Currently averaging at 0.6 seconds per day which is pretty good.

It is one of my favourites.

Tapatapatapatapatalk
    I really like that!