closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: ETA 251.262(or similar) based Watches?

Hybrid View

Craftsman

ETA 251.262(or similar) based Watches?

After some advice please.....

I've been following the thread (both here and elsewhere) on the upcoming A-13A pilot's watch and really like the way it's going, I love the idea of the centre minute & hour counter - I'm just a bit concerned that it might be too big for me.

I'm wondering what else is available (at a price no more than the A-13A @ 800euro) with the same functionality? I've dug through various related threads and most of the models refered to are no longer made

I should add that I've owned a PRS17C for a long time - I really like it, but my complaints would be - the dial is too small and busy and the lume too weak

thanks

Steve

depends on your budget, but Breitling Colt chronos use a TC version of this movement. Older Longines hydroconquest chronos can still be had new with it, as can some Certina Chronos (DS first I think). Beware of other Chronographs with two sets of central chrono hands - ETA relatively recently released a movement with centre seconds at fraction of second hands.

Just re-read your OP. Ignore the Breitling. Longines and Certina should be doable within budget though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevoc View Post
    After some advice please.....

I've been following the thread (both here and elsewhere) on the upcoming A-13A pilot's watch and really like the way it's going, I love the idea of the centre minute & hour counter - I'm just a bit concerned that it might be too big for me.

I'm wondering what else is available (at a price no more than the A-13A @ 800euro) with the same functionality? I've dug through various related threads and most of the models refered to are no longer made

I should add that I've owned a PRS17C for a long time - I really like it, but my complaints would be - the dial is too small and busy and the lume too weak

thanks

Steve
    A few years ago, I compiled a list of watches with the ETA 251.262, but I believe that this movement has now been discontinued along with the Thermoline version, i.e. 251.232. The good news is that the 251.262 has been replaced by the 251.264, which has similar if not the same functionality. However, I don't know how many watches are now using the ETA 251.264.
    Last edited by Timelord; 22nd March 2017 at 20:53.

Grand Master
    I recently replaced a movement in a TAG, swapping the 251.262 for the replacement 251.264. Only difference was the setting procedure after a battery change. Can`t remember the price of the movement but it wasn`t expensive.

I`ve never been a fan of quartz chronos but I ended up being quite impressed. The movement's basically a throwaway if it goes faulty but there are pros and cons for that.

Paul

I'm a big fan of this movement. I first came across it on purchasing a PRS-17C from Eddie. I subsequently sold the PRS-17C after picking up a TAG Pilot quartz which also uses the ETA 251.262.

Indeed the very watch that Paul alluded to in his previous reply. So first off I would like to take the opportunity to publicly thank him for the excellent job he did . As Paul mentioned he replaced the 251.262, which had an intermittent problem resetting one of the chrono hands, with an ETA 251.264.

There would seem to be a number of varients on the 251.264 though, as I also have a Certina DS-2 which claims the thermocompensated ETA 251.264 PreciDrive as its movement.

However this one has a couple of substantial differences as mentioned in an earlier reply. The red central hand shows 1/100ths of a second, continuously for the first minute after the timer has started, subsequently halting at zero before moving to the appropriate 1/100th marker after the timer is stopped/paused. Minutes are recorded on the right hand sub dial.

There's both an 89 (currently) page thread and a sticky on the WUS HAQ forum dedicated to this Certina DS-2 watch/movement if you are interested. Fortunately the first post in both provides a good executive summary.
    Last edited by petethegeek; 22nd March 2017 at 23:56.

Craftsman
    Thanks - I've just watched this video on youtube to try and understand what the Certina looks like with the chrono running .......it's mad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ADjssgR7uI

Quote Originally Posted by Stevoc View Post
    Thanks - I've just watched this video on youtube to try and understand what the Certina looks like with the chrono running .......it's mad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ADjssgR7uI
    I agree - and I don't see what the obsession with sub second timing. A large minute counter on a legible dial is so much more useful!

Out of interest how similar is this movement to the 251.272?