closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Rolex seadweller 4000 discontinued-values up?

Master
    Someone listed a LNIB on the TURF forum for £7,900 a couple of weeks ago. It went quickly but the price didn't seem outrageous given some of the figures quoted by dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by joaocpneves View Post
    There is one available in a Spanish watch forum for 9000 eur (7500gbp)
    Stickered, Spanish AD and April/2017 watch.

I have no affiliation with the seller (seems to be a dealer)

https://www.relojes-especiales.com/f...6600-a-419936/

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Someone listed a LNIB on the TURF forum for £7,900 a couple of weeks ago. It went quickly but the price didn't seem outrageous given some of the figures quoted by dealers.
    At £300 over list, for what is now a discontinued watch, I'd say is about right. Charging close to £9k on watchfinder is just ridiculous.

Craftsman

Rolex seadweller 4000 discontinued-values up?

Hong Kong and Singapore AD's still have some NOS if anyone wants a new one. Just add 20% VAT if you want to be good boys

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Currently in the USA, the AD near my hotel has one in the case.

I really don't need one, but why do feel tempted?! Argh.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakkajai View Post
    To change the subject slightly, has anyone removed the diver extension on the SD4000 themselves? Or is it best to take it to Rolex?

I also removed mine as soon I received the watch. To loosen the screws I just used boiling water and a good screwdriver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    I also removed mine as soon I received the watch. To loosen the screws I just used boiling water and a good screwdriver.
    I do wish someone had told me to take off the watch first! Just off to A&E ....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post
    Currently in the USA, the AD near my hotel has one in the case.

I really don't need one, but why do feel tempted?! Argh.
    What is the $ asking price? Guess the terrible exchange rate won't help!

Only time will tell but IMHO it's a Rolex Sports Model that ticks a lot of boxes, perhaps it will be fully appreciated more now that it's discontinued, I'm certainly pleased to have recently added one to my collection as it wouldn't surprise me if prices got very silly in years to come.....

Master
    https://www.nettletonsjewellers.co.u...er-4000-detail

Will probably look cheap in 10 years!

Master
    ^ bit of a shame they've gotten their models a bit confused.

Banned
    IMG_1378.JPG

Well I'm Very happy with mine

Seikoboy

Apprentice

Will try this trick! Did you reapply the loctite?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Only time will tell but IMHO it's a Rolex Sports Model that ticks a lot of boxes, perhaps it will be fully appreciated more now that it's discontinued, I'm certainly pleased to have recently added one to my collection as it wouldn't surprise me if prices got very silly in years to come.....
    glad to get one back in my collection. A future classic.

Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    What is the $ asking price? Guess the terrible exchange rate won't help!
    Think it will work out about £8k with a bit of discount, but I must resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakkajai View Post
    Will try this trick! Did you reapply the loctite?

No. I just tighten them up. I've checked them since and they are still tight. I've had the watch two years next month.

No. I just tighten them up. I've checked them since and they are still tight. I've had the watch two years next month.

If you run your fingers across the edge of the bracelet from time to time, you can feel if any of the screws are starting to undo.

I got a shock once when I looked down at the bracelet and saw one of the screws sticking out about 2mm. Fortunately I noticed before it fell out completely, but as I said, I now run my fingers over the edge of the bracelet on whichever of the Rolex I'm wearing maybe once a week.

Or just do it right in the first place and reapply Loctite, as Rolex recommends. :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    I removed it on both the one's I've had, just the same as any other link removal and help no end with comfort.
    Just in Rolex St James and they are saying they can't do it as the diver extension forms part of the glidelock

^
    Well, that's simply not true. Perhaps they're confusing the sliding 2-mm-adjustment mechanism with the fold-out extension, but either way, it shows a severe lack of competency.

Master
    I removed it on both the one's I've had, just the same as any other link removal and help no end with comfort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    ^
    Well, that's simply not true. Perhaps they're confusing the sliding 2-mm-adjustment mechanism with the fold-out extension, but either way, it shows a severe lack of competency.
    I asked again and they relented. I've now got to find the box and hope that's where I stashed the spare links!

Journeyman
    Just a quick heads up for anyone interested but Fraser Heart in Kingston had one in the window on Thursday!!

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    I asked again and they relented. I've now got to find the box and hope that's where I stashed the spare links!
    Open the glidelock pull it to its outmost position and show whoever served you the two screw points!

Show them this, it does show a Sub bracelet but the divers extension was a purchase extra for the Sub, so if they can fit it why can't they remove it..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ewellblue View Post
    Just a quick heads up for anyone interested but Fraser Heart in Kingston had one in the window on Thursday!!
    Now gone I believe.

Blog Entries
    Resurrecting this post. So after the release of the SD50 or SD43 whatever you call it, I wonder if this now affects positively or negatively the resale price of the discontinued SD4000.

(Seeing as I have a vested interest).

Martyn.

Master
    Open the glidelock pull it to its outmost position and show whoever served you the two screw points!
    thanks all, they did it in the end and I found the extra links so all now in good shape.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Just in Rolex St James and they are saying they can't do it as the diver extension forms part of the glidelock
    Managed to do mine in the end! Got myself a decent screw driver which did the trick. So much more comfortable now!

Craftsman

I expect a few SD's of various eras to be chopped out as buyers of new SD43's take delivery. So, more supply should theoretically mean falling prices..... however, with the new SD43 being so expensive, plus the fact that the grey market price of the new one is presently so strong, maybe the SD4000c's in particular will hold their value quite well. I am taking a long-term view and I don't think the prices of either over the next six to eight weeks will be where the prices of both models eventually settle. If I had to guess further out I'd perhaps say list +£750 to £1k for new/mint SD43 and 2016/17 mint SD400c's (where the recent frenzy was) will settle at around £7,500. The SD4000c's will probably remain sought-after in collector circles, being the last of the 40mm's non-cyclops line and a model that was only made for a relatively short time. I may be hopelessly out though!

Master
    I won't be surprised if the SDc continues to climb. The new SD43 is quite a polarising watch - especially the cyclops addition, while traditionalists will prefer the classic shape of the 'older' SDc. I've been on the lookout for the SDc, but noticed prices have moved quite significantly over the last few months and anything under £7k gets snapped up pronto.

Craftsman
    New - with all plastics/tags and fresh Rolex AD warranty card SDc still available at list or with small discount in HK if anyone is looking.

Correction: VAT has to be considered if you are being a good boy.

Last edited by tom waring; 4th May 2017 at 12:44.

Master
    In contrast to the price reported in the post immediately below, I was scouting around the web earlier and came across this:

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/S...898/item/87902

Is this a new record asking price for a SD4K ?

Quote Originally Posted by gc52 View Post
    In contrast to the price reported in the post immediately below, I was scouting around the web earlier and came across this:

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/S...898/item/87902

Is this a new record asking price for a SD4K ?
    Quite possibly, Watches.Co.Uk had a pre-owned example up for £8995 which sold very quickly so I expect this one to sell quick even at this high price. Amazing when you think people are still reporting the odd sighting of them in Rolex AD's around the world......

Over £9k for a SD, totally stupid.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Over £9k for a SD, totally stupid.
    Hype for sure. And I say that as an owner.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Resurrecting this post. So after the release of the SD50 or SD43 whatever you call it, I wonder if this now affects positively or negatively the resale price of the discontinued SD4000.

(Seeing as I have a vested interest).

Martyn.
    Or better yet, the vintage 16660 :)

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Hype for sure. And I say that as an owner.
    It will sell though, most dealers were cleared out in a single day and things haven't really calmed down yet. I was hoping all this SD obsession might free up a few Daytonas with people on the list declining them, but no noise on here about people getting one, so I guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Or better yet, the vintage 16660 :)
    The 16660 has been highly collectible for a long time now, especially the early ones with the matt dials and the tritium plots. The 16600 will climb in price as that was the last before the ceramics took over.

Yesterday I was reading that despite the flurry here, in America they're still to be found in ADs

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Yesterday I was reading that despite the flurry here, in America they're still to be found in ADs
    And HK, Singapore and other Asian centres too. All a bit silly in the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post
    And HK, Singapore and other Asian centres too. All a bit silly in the short term.

You say silly but the same could be said about the GMT blnr. Reports of these to be found in Dubai, America etc with ease. Yet as Haywood Milton explained on another thread, they seem to sell quickly on the pre owned market here in the U.K. with an inflated asking price as soon as they are advertised. Same principle as the seadweller. As long as people are willing to pay a premium, dealers will ask whatever the market will pay. In my own opinion, I think the seadweller went unloved as people wouldn't pay the extra over a sub, now it's discontinued people are realising what an amazing standalone piece it is. Ive said it before but I love my sdc and it was the only watch I paid full list on knowing if I had to sell I was going to lose quite a bit of money on. Then it got discontinued and I reckon I'd at least break even now!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    You say silly but the same could be said about the GMT blnr. Reports of these to be found in Dubai, America etc with ease. Yet as Haywood Milton explained on another thread, they seem to sell quickly on the pre owned market here in the U.K. with an inflated asking price as soon as they are advertised. Same principle as the seadweller. As long as people are willing to pay a premium, dealers will ask whatever the market will pay. In my own opinion, I think the seadweller went unloved as people wouldn't pay the extra over a sub, now it's discontinued people are realising what an amazing standalone piece it is. Ive said it before but I love my sdc and it was the only watch I paid full list on knowing if I had to sell I was going to lose quite a bit of money on. Then it got discontinued and I reckon I'd at least break even now!
    I agree and I love mine too. I meant its silly for people who want one to pay such huge premiums when the watches are available elsewhere with only a little effort. But, for the types who can't be bothered/are hesitant to find one from an overseas source and don't care about the price, then good luck to the dealers - these buyers = easy money for them!

Last edited by tom waring; 5th May 2017 at 08:27.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    WF posted 2016 piece for £9,250 yesterday. Now gone!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tom waring View Post

Guys its just because the UK is cheapest. Thats why watches sell out here a combination of:

1) Lower retail price to begin with.
    2) Weak Pound.
    3) VAT Refund.

Makes is NO BRAINER to buy it here. You can get a Brand New BLNR (assuming you find one) for £5K~ if you are a tourist. No where else can you achieve such a bargain. + Im sure ROlex doesnt want to send too many watches to the UK either.

A similar situation arose in the wine world a few years back. Penfolds sent their UK allocations over here and a lot of it was bought by Australians, who promptly shipped it straight back home because it was far cheaper to buy from the UK.

In order to stamp this out, Penfolds more than doubled the UK prices the following year to kill the buy back trade.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    WF posted 2016 piece for £9,250 yesterday. Now gone!
    Unless it's the same one, another's popped up in today's arrivals.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Guys its just because the UK is cheapest. Thats why watches sell out here a combination of:

1) Lower retail price to begin with.
    2) Weak Pound.
    3) VAT Refund.

Makes is NO BRAINER to buy it here. You can get a Brand New BLNR (assuming you find one) for £5K~ if you are a tourist. No where else can you achieve such a bargain. + Im sure ROlex doesnt want to send too many watches to the UK either.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the VAT refund wouldn't work with purchase via WF or similar so 3) would only apply to AD purchases?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Unless it's the same one, another's popped up in today's arrivals.
    That looks like a different one, Alan. I noticed that the previous one still had it's case side stickers.

Master
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the VAT refund wouldn't work with purchase via WF or similar so 3) would only apply to AD purchases?
    Yeah was referring to why SS rolex were so hard to find in UK from an AD. Everything is readily avialable in the grey market.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Yeah was referring to why SS rolex were so hard to find in UK from an AD. Everything is readily avialable in the grey market.
    Thought so just wanted to check I had it right.

I love your post and a great watch too, enjoy with good health.

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post

Master
    I have to say it's a real shame that more people didn't buy this. It's a brilliantly simple and well engineered watch.

Got mine pre-loved and pre-Basel discontinue.