closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why isn't the Oyster Perpetual 116000 more popular?

Why isn't the Oyster Perpetual 116000 more popular?

I'm starting to think that this might be my perfect watch. It's 36mm but wears more like 37/38. It has a cool blue sunburst dial with the 3-6-9 explorer layout. It has that great Oyster bracelet. It really ticks a lot of boxes for me. What makes it even more perfect of course, is that I don't yet own it.

However, it's not a watch that I hear a lot about and I'm wondering why that might be?

Master
    It's increasingly popular. Ten years ago nobody was talking about it on the forums. Now, even TRF guys are starting to buy them. I like it.

Master
    I've got the steel dial version and it's a great watch. For me the perfect size and I wear it more than any of my other watches (at the moment at least and it's been that way for the 3 months I've had it). I much prefer it to the 39mm version.

Master
    Mines pretty popular with me :)

There are quite a few who like it but 36mm is not going to be a popular choice anywhere.

I like it, about the only modern Rolex I so like! Also fixes what I don't like about the Explorer, the size and the Mercedes hands.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.Ldn View Post
    That looks great!

Is the lug width 20mm?

Quote Originally Posted by midgetda View Post
    I've got the steel dial version and it's a great watch. For me the perfect size and I wear it more than any of my other watches (at the moment at least and it's been that way for the 3 months I've had it). I much prefer it to the 39mm version.
    That's good to know. I'm thinking that this could be a great 'one watch' solution.

I think whilst the 116000 is a nice watch, it lacks a model name and therefore lacks identity in my opinion.

That's awesome, a sort of Explorer hybrid!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    That looks great!

Is the lug width 20mm?
    Yep.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I think whilst the 116000 is a nice watch, it lacks a model name and therefore lacks identity in my opinion.
    It's the oyster perpetual. That's its name.

I think they are stunning and arguably the pick of the current Rolex line up. Very elegant and certainly a contender for a 'one watch' solution. I very nearly bought one brand new (blue 3 6 9) via the grey channel when £ was worth something but in the end I went with a late model 36mm Explorer on the basis that, being a sports model, it was more likely to retain it's value and possibly appreciate. I also think the black dial is more versatile.

I think they're less popular because they come in multiple sizes and a huge variation of colour. Run the risk of being a seasonal/fashion watch and while it matters to some and not others, the choice of sizes *can* make it seem like a more feminine choice.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    There are quite a few who like it but 36mm is not going to be a popular choice anywhere.
    Disagree. If you've got fairly slim wrists it's the ideal choice, plenty big enough for me. There will always be a market for watches that don' t look like dinner plates on the wearer.

The 116000 is one of my favourites and I'm tempted to buy one if something crops up at the right price. Blue Explorer style dial is the best choice IMO. Along with the Datejust 116200 and the bimetal 116203, this is one of the few Rolex models in the current range that I'd like to own. Classic understated style, far more appealing to me than any of the current sports models.

Paul

I went to try one of these on at an AD but I would need to add extra links to get to try it on - that rather put me off

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Disagree. If you've got fairly slim wrists it's the ideal choice, plenty big enough for me. There will always be a market for watches that don' t look like dinner plates on the wearer.

The 116000 is one of my favourites and I'm tempted to buy one if something crops up at the right price. Blue Explorer style dial is the best choice IMO. Along with the Datejust 116200 and the bimetal 116203, this is one of the few Rolex models in the current range that I'd like to own. Classic understated style, far more appealing to me than any of the current sports models.

Paul
    Sure,there will be people who prefer 36 mm or smaller watches in general either due to wrist size or as a matter of preference but I doubt if they constitute the majority.
    There is plenty to choose between 36 mm and dinner plates.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    I went to try one of these on at an AD but I would need to add extra links to get to try it on - that rather put me off
    Really? I tried the grape dial on at my AD last year and there was more than enough links. I have average size 7 1/4 inch wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Really? I tried the grape dial on at my AD last year and there was more than enough links. I have average size 7 1/4 inch wrist.
    Maybe his wrist is bigger than yours? Just a thought.

I was looking at Rolexes in the window of my local AD the other day and the thing that really struck me was the price differential between essentially the same sort of watch and the complications. i.e. Oyster Perpetual = bottom end, DateJust (add another £1k+ just for a date wheel) and then Day/Date add another £5k+ - although case metal options were restricted to precious metals. Why no Stainless Steel Day/Date?

Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    Why no Stainless Steel Day/Date?
    To protect the DateJust!

Why isn't the Oyster Perpetual 116000 more popular?

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    It's not a question of wrist size it is a question of how much the bracelet expands to go over my hand .
    I have tried on (or tried to) quite a few 36mm Rolex with both oyster and jubilee bracelets and about 50% of the time I can't get them on,

MrsO has a 36mm DJ on oyster and if I put the 2 links back from how it is sized for her I can get it on and the size on wrist is fine but it is really pretty tight getting it over the meaty part of my hand. I do wear on my right (dominant) wrist so my right hand is probably a little larger than my left.

The new 36 mm in grape and other colours I am unable to get on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    I was looking at Rolexes in the window of my local AD the other day and the thing that really struck me was the price differential between essentially the same sort of watch and the complications. i.e. Oyster Perpetual = bottom end, DateJust (add another £1k+ just for a date wheel) and then Day/Date add another £5k+ - although case metal options were restricted to precious metals. Why no Stainless Steel Day/Date?
    The OP has a much cheaper looking clasp than the DJ. The date wheel isn't the only difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    It's the oyster perpetual. That's its name.
    I think all the Rolex models are oysters perpetuals which is then extended with a model name such as Explorer, Submariner etc. Almost as if Rolex could not think of a model name and left it nameless. To me, it lacks identity which is a shame as it is a Rolex like any other.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    It's not a question of wrist size it is a question of how much the bracelet expands to go over my hand .
    I have tried on (or tried to) quite a few 36mm Rolex with both oyster and jubilee bracelets and about 50% of the time I can't get them on.
    Ah, understood. Presumably the clasps on these 36OPs don't extend as far as the sports model bracelets (and/or you have an unusual wrist to fist size ratio)?

Looks very similar to the Explorer 1. Slightly more elegant. Nice.

Master
    Lovely as they are, they are at the entry level and a lot of people can't get over that as with any luxury goods the base models are looked down upon by snobs.
    Last edited by nunya; 10th March 2017 at 11:51.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Lovely as they are, they are at the entry level and a lot of people can't get over that as with any luxury goods the base models are looked down upon by snobs.
    +1......crazy as it may seem, a watch that costs £3900 will be seen as inferior by the 'considerably richer than you' crowd!

I like the watch for what it is, same understated appeal as the Explorer 1. Definitely something appealing about the simple brushed case/brushed bracelet/polished bezel Rolex look, it's a classic IMO. Lack of date and cyclops is a plus, the dial symmetry is all the better for it. The only thing I don`t like is the pink lume on the black dial version, I really don`t get that at all and it would put me off what would otherwise be a near-perfect watch.

So what's stopping me getting a 116000 with blue Explorer style dial?.......it's the fact that it's too similar to the Explorer 1 that sits in the collection and definitely isn`t for sale. It would be like having blue and black dial versions of a very similar watch. However, seeing how some folks own different versions of Subs/Seadwellers/ Speedys which look essentially the same I suppose there is a precedent!

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 10th March 2017 at 12:43.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It has been off my radar and I think it looks great - I wore a 34mm Airking most of my working life and wasn't at all put off by the size. I liked the understated styling of that watch and like it on the 116000. The hands, the lack of date and the dark dial all work for me.

ATB

Jon

Its a watch I really admire... but I'd rather it didn't have baton hands and given a sporty look with the Explorer styled.

People have done the mod. This was one shown to me by Rusty here on TZ.

The blue look delicious.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    .....The only thing I don`t like is the pink lume on the black dial version, I really don`t get that at all and it would put me off what would otherwise be a near-perfect watch...
    I used to think that Rolex did that deliberately to stop folk buying the OP over the Explorer. Except that the watch above originally had the champagne grey dial from new, but I got RSC to swap it out for the black one it wears now (normal greenish lume). They were quite happy to - albeit for a cost - so they can't be that precious about it.

FWIW - I can't imagine who their target market was for a watch with tool-ish, stealth black dial and 'hot pink' lume - surely two completely different markets?!

N

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I think all the Rolex models are oysters perpetuals which is then extended with a model name such as Explorer, Submariner etc. Almost as if Rolex could not think of a model name and left it nameless. To me, it lacks identity which is a shame as it is a Rolex like any other.
    That's what TRF is for! I wonder if the have made up a silly name for this one? Perhaps the "ant man"?

That looks deadly! Does it really exist?

Master
    In Rolex world, surely a bit of a bargain. You get the great Rolex movement and a proper Oyster case in stainless steel. A watch you can buy and enjoy for life, and no-doubt a lot of people do just that. Modest too, something you wouldn't say about some of the range.
    In some ways, the true 'classic' model of the line-up.

It does nothing that other models in the range do better for me - soon we will have a slimmer DJ41 in steel, and then I really can't see the point of the non-date oyster in 39mm, already the 36mm DJ is a much nicer watch t that size. I suppose it works for those that don't want an explorer, and don't need a date. Always better to have more choice, but they are not a watch for me, in the same way the old Air-King didn't get a look in.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 18th March 2017 at 23:53.
    It's just a matter of time...

Do the OP have any micro adjustment on the bracelets ?

i know they don't have the easy fit links like the new subs... but I can't see anyway to adjust them from the pics ?

thanks

matt

The Subs don't have the easy link, they have a staged micro adjustment in the clasp.

The rest of the Professional "Sports" range, and DJ's have the easy link, including the Explorer, but the OP does not.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 19th March 2017 at 15:01.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Do the OP have any micro adjustment on the bracelets ?

i know they don't have the easy fit links like the new subs... but I can't see anyway to adjust them from the pics ?

thanks

matt
    Yes they do. They have 3 micro adjustments built into the clasp but they are recessed so are "hidden" and you don't get the holes punched though the clasp like the old bracelets.

I really love my 116000 and I have to agree that it wears larger than it's 36mm would suggest. For me, it the perfect all round watch.

Great with a suit...

...and flip flops!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which dial colour is that ?

Which dial colour is that ?
    It's the Red Grape. Always looks different depending on the lighting.

I wondered if one thing holding back its popularity is the relatively low proportion of the front of the watch overall taken up by the dial itself.

In the sixties and seventies there was the 1018, also a 36mm OP. Its bezel was slimmer than that of the modern version, allowing for a slightly bigger dial.

Perhaps if the dial was more dominant that would increase its appeal? I might just be expressing my own taste though, so I dunno..... 🙃 But I do think that that is why we haven't seen more BB36s:

Quote Originally Posted by marcus.furius View Post
    It's the Red Grape. Always looks different depending on the lighting.

Wow that does look different.... sorry can i ask what your wrist size is ?

It's a very nice watch, no doubt. I think the key points have been made, in that it is (perversely) "entry level" and it's name isn't as evocative as Datejust and Explorer.

It is still a lovely watch (blue dial / Arabic quarters)

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that does look different.... sorry can i ask what your wrist size is ?
    Of course, 6.5 inches

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I wondered if one thing holding back its popularity is the relatively low proportion of the front of the watch overall taken up by the dial itself.
    You might be right about that. I tried on a BB36 and thought that it looked too small, must have been the thicker bezel. A 114270 doesn't look too small.