closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tomatoes

Tomatoes

I grow a lot of fruit & veg, one of my passions is for tomatoes which I grow in my self-built polytunnel.
    Every year I try a few different varieties and those that are exceptional in respect of flavour and their other characteristics go on a 'permanent list'.

Currently on the list are the following:

Sungold
    Floridity
    Rosada
    Olivade
    Green Zebra
    Berkley Tie Dye http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/berke...e-tomato-seeds

Grew Black Krim last year, few fruit but the flavour was incredible, and will give it another go. Anyone else share this interest and have any recommendations for me to try?
    Last edited by Crispin; 16th March 2021 at 12:44.

Black Klim
    Gardeners Delight
    Sungold.

According to SHMBO.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

A friend of mine produces gorgeous Black Russians...

I like to have a couple of pots in the garden, summer Saturday mornings, pluck a few and straight in the pan for a breakfast. I was doing okay until a few years ago, but then seemed to suffer year after year of disease so gave up. Any tips on easy, reliable varieties?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For sauces, try ‘Principe Borghese’ and ‘San Marzano’; for roasting, ‘Gardener’s Delight’, ‘Brandywine’ and ‘Costoluto Fiorentino’. For blight resistance, go for ‘Crimson Crush’ and ‘Fandango’; and to eat fresh with a splash of good oil, try ‘Cuore di Bue’ and ‘Pantano of Roma’
    ©Monty Don, Gardeners' World Magazine, April issue

I've grown "Brandywein" (also known as "Brandywine") for years, apparently a strain dating back to 1840. Potato leaved, big with large ugly fruits and few seeds but beatiful taste.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries
    First, is it a fruit of a veg? According to Wikipedia, tomatoes can be considered as a veg. However, technically I think it's a fruit. What's your opinion?

Second: great to read that there are so much varieties. I hadn't realised that before reading the thread. Would it be possible to post some pics of the varieties you mention.Just to get an idea about the difference. Sadly not taste-internet yet...

Menno

As the saying goes, it illustrates the difference between knowledge and wisdom.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Tried many but my personal favourites are Cherokee Purple and Marmande / Super Marmande.

" I don't normally like tomatoes John , but these ones are delicious" Name that tune ???? or Band ???

Here are a few pictures. I am beginning to appreciate that tomatoes with a superior taste often have a less uniform appearance, ie misshapen. The Green Zebra on the right are perfect just when they develop a vey slight red blush, but are somewhat knobbly to look at.

Last edited by Crispin; 21st March 2017 at 06:26.

Blog Entries
    A great amount of italian recipes invoke the use of Pachino tomatoes, in the varieties "ciliegino" and "costoluto". Delicious both for cooking and for salads.

Craftsman
    I usually buy a couple of the variety "Roma" in plug form. They are nearly always a success. I wonder if anyone can recommend a supplier of the more uncommon varieties
    in plug form.

Is it too late to plant seed?

No. Plenty of time. Try Sungolds in a greenhouse or conservatory. Plenty of water. Supermarket tomatoes will never get a look in again...(apart from in the winter when you've eaten all of your sungolds).

Craftsman
    Agree, it's not too late. I've put in sweet million this week (as a back up to my seeds a month ago, now 2 inches tall). But don't delay... .

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    First, is it a fruit of a veg? According to Wikipedia, tomatoes can be considered as a veg. However, technically I think it's a fruit. What's your opinion?

Second: great to read that there are so much varieties. I hadn't realised that before reading the thread. Would it be possible to post some pics of the varieties you mention.Just to get an idea about the difference. Sadly not taste-internet yet...

Menno
    I've always understood them to be a fruit, technically, on account if them having seeds.

Science Bob and the internet agrees:

https://sciencebob.com/is-a-tomato-a...r-a-vegetable/
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Black Klim
    Gardeners Delight
    Sungold.

Sounds well kinky.

Anything goes down the allotment eh?
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    Agree, it's not too late. I've put in sweet million this week (as a back up to my seeds a month ago, now 2 inches tall). But don't delay... .
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    No. Plenty of time. Try Sungolds in a greenhouse or conservatory. Plenty of water. Supermarket tomatoes will never get a look in again...(apart from in the winter when you've eaten all of your sungolds).
    Thanks both! In the meantime though, I ordered some plug plants this evening so won't bother with seeds this year. Bought a selection of 7 varieties (2-3 of each) which is plenty enough and hopefully some will do well (and we like them!).

Haven't got a conservatory or greenhouse so will have to do best I can either in garden or on patio depending on variety.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    " I don't normally like tomatoes John , but these ones are delicious" Name that tune ???? or Band ???
    HMHB, 99 percent of gargoyles.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I've grown "Brandywein" (also known as "Brandywine") for years, apparently a strain dating back to 1840. Potato leaved, big with large ugly fruits and few seeds but beatiful taste.

Eddie
    Ta for the tip.

Two pots this year, Brandy Wine and Cherokee.

I had my first Brandy Wine today, bloody beautiful! A big fruit, but so juicy and sweet. Probably the best tomato I've ever eaten. Probably the most expensive, but worth every penny: seed, compost, feed, planter pot, water, time.

The Cherokee is a purple to pink cherry tomato. Lovely fried and served on toast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I've always understood them to be a fruit, technically, on account if them having seeds.

Science Bob and the internet agrees:

https://sciencebob.com/is-a-tomato-a...r-a-vegetable/
    I was told it's a berry, oh well..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

Menno
    Knowledge is knowing a Tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put them in a fruit salad

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    I was told it's a berry, oh well..
    A berry is a type of fruit, so both right

Craftsman
    Just looking to resurrect this thread.

Does anyone have a good site for buying tomato seeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    Just looking to resurrect this thread.

Does anyone have a good site for buying tomato seeds?
    Usually get my seeds from Suttons or Thomson and Morgan though always had issues with T&M recently (order not going through despite confirmation etc).

Craftsman
    Mr Fothergill’s , excellent VFM and service .
    Good range of tomatoes as well as everything else ... they also sell plant plugs as well .
    They still produce a substantial paper catalogue as well , which is mailed out free .
    Good luck and hope you have 100% germination .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Been growing them for many years, this year im growing F1 Supersweet 100 because they dont split like Sungold but are still an early tasty cheery.

these were F1 Orkado afew years back, very impressive plants with apple size Toms.

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone. My MIL who lives a few doors down has recently repaired her greenhouse after many years so I though I would have a try at a few different varieties of tomatoes and chillies.

I’ll have a look at the suggested websites and make a few choices.

Does anyone have a preference over ordering seeds or plants?

You’ll obviously save a bit of money buying seeds not plants, depends how much you value the convenience. Usually opt for plug plants and have some due beginning of April, larger plants can be bit pricy
    If planting seeds I’d get them in ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    Thanks everyone. My MIL who lives a few doors down has recently repaired her greenhouse after many years so I though I would have a try at a few different varieties of tomatoes and chillies.

I’ll have a look at the suggested websites and make a few choices.

Does anyone have a preference over ordering seeds or plants?

In the UK its best to sow seeds very early, i planted these cherry types 18 days ago and should have first ripe Toms in early July.

Always grow from seed, still plenty of time to start this year, have not planted mine yet.
    Grew a variety called Shimmer for the first time last year, best flavour I have had in a tomato for a while.
    Moles seeds are excellent quality.
    Have kept an Excel spreadsheet for each of the past 10 years for all my fruit and veg planting, nothing worse than getting a great variety and not remembering what you planted.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Here is mine happy bunch. Living in sunny adriatic sure helps growing tomatoes.
    Photo is few yrs old, I grew fee from organic seeds (got some through local facebook groups), black one I ordered from premier seeds direct.
    Last edited by martyloveswatches; 15th March 2021 at 22:11.

Update to the thread. I have been growing tomatoes for about 6 years and this is the earliest i have ever had a ripe Tomato.

A firm favourite of mine are the Spanish Montserrat tomatoes and I feel they are best eaten uncooked when they are just starting to turn red; almost the greener the better. Just sliced, plenty of sea salt and a light drizzle of olive oil and red wine vinegar. Lovely flavour with lots of plump flesh and not full of water/seeds.

Craftsman
    My tomatoes are several weeks late this year due to the very cold April and May. They are still in long tom pots in the greenhouse, before final planting over the next few weeks. As they are late I am not going to let them grow above about 5 feet.

I can also recommend Black Krim, I always grow them. They are large, juicy and very tasty.
    For cherries I grow Sweet Aperitif.
    For mediums size this year it is Alsa Craig.
    All the above in a greenhouse.

Outside I grow Crimson Crush, one of the blight resistant varieties.

Some great looking stuff here. My wifes got some tomatoes and cucumbers on the go just now. Not sure which I like best, the taste of the tomatoes or the smell from the plant when you brush against it. Absolutely lovely.

Craftsman
    I like the smell of the calyx at the top of the fruit - very tomatoey.

A couple of tips - use calcium (from the garden centre) to prevent blossom end rot, especially if growing in pots.

For greenhouse tomatoes, buy a small pot of fresh basil from the supermarket, and divide the clump into several smaller clumps, about three to four plants each. Plant a small clump next to each tomato plant. The basil should grow very well like this, and you will have a cheap supply to go with your tomatoes.

I also have some black krim planted this year, everything a little late as no problem germinating the seed but then you need adequate light and warmth for strong upright growth. Have bought a spider farmer led grow light for next year, see if that helps.

Also finally discovered if its too cold in the greenhouse/polytunnel then the cucumbers won't thrive and its better to wait until its warmer.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Yes, unless you have artificial heating and lighting, I find that sowing tomatoes and cucumbers too early is counter-productive - later sowings will generally catch up with earlier, as they get a better start.