closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Macbook Port/Cable Advice

Macbook Port/Cable Advice

Folks need a bit of tech advice.

Have a Macbook Air with two USB ports and one Mini Display port.

I want to purchase a new monitor and connect the Macbook Air to it, and I also want to use a wired internet connection by attaching an ethernet cable.

I currently use a Mini Display port to ethernet converter, however once I buy the monitor, i'll need to use the Mini Display port for the HDMI connection to the monitor as well.

Have looked online and have been unable to find a Mini Display port splitter such that I can use it both for the HDMI connection and the ethernet connection.

In short:
    - Have 1 Mini Display port
    - Need to connect HDMI and Ethernet cables to the Macbook Air which therefore needs 2 Mini Display ports

Thanks!

You'll have to use a USB to Ethernet adaptor.

"Have looked online and have been unable to find a Mini Display port splitter such that I can use it both for the HDMI connection and the ethernet connection." You won't find one.

Think your stuck with using a USB port and one of these :-

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-usb...-adapter-n27lz << not sure if these would work with a Mac
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/usb-to-ethernet-adapter-a31gy
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-min...-adapter-a28qh

Connectivity is very limited with an Air.

You probably don't want to go mini-DP to HDMI. HDMI uses differential signals and DP is packet based, meaning it needs an active signal converter in between. Such things exist, but they're not cheap.

Your best bet is to get a monitor with a DP input and use a mini-DP to DP cable for video and a USB-Ethernet adapter for data. Both are cheap and plentiful.

Cheers,

Plug

Master
    I used to use a mini display to HDMI cables to hook up my old mac to my television, experienced no real dramas. Also use am apple Usb to ethernet adapter, bought it from Cex store for about £7 on its own. Still use it today with a usb C adapter.

The USB-Ethernet adapter is only USB 2.0. Expensive but I would look at a Thunderbolt hub. Best of all worlds, just a bit pricey

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The USB-Ethernet adapter is only USB 2.0. Expensive but I would look at a Thunderbolt hub. Best of all worlds, just a bit pricey
    I don't think he'll see any difference with a USB 2 Ethernet adaptor, he's unlikely to be using gigabit Ethernet is he? Also Mini DP lacks the extra connector that thunderbolt has so a thunderbolt Hub won't work either.
    He could pick up an old 24"LED cinema screen, comes with all cables to connect MacBook Air to screen and built in USB 2.0n3 port hub and built in camera, mike & speakers. But a bit like rocking horse poo :-)

Silly question, but why can't you use wi-fi?

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Silly question, but why can't you use wi-fi?
    I can, it just tends to be a bit temperamental with the connection dropping as I'm fairly far from the router.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    I can, it just tends to be a bit temperamental with the connection dropping as I'm fairly far from the router.
    Try a mains linked booster then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Try a mains linked booster then.
    Or if you're flush the Google Mesh home system is coming to the UK very, very soon. Can't wait to upgrade to it.

Thanks for the advice folks.

Went with a USB to ethernet converter and mini displayport to HDMI converter. Will see how they work out.

First thought but an Apple TV and this screen to a monitor. That's one problem fixed with no cables. I have a MacBook 12 all I get is 1 USB c connector!

Master
    Or if you're flush the Google Mesh home system is coming to the UK very, very soon. Can't wait to upgrade to it.
    Why wait? You can have a better solution today with the orbi.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/google...#google-wifi-6

Master
    Bt one available now
    http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/inte...11364107690087