closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wifi and ISP expert advice please

Wifi and ISP expert advice please

So hopefully I will be moving house in a few months. My current internet access is driving me mad with latency issues, drop outs and constantly needing to reset the router. I have Zen internet, business connection to fibre and a fixed IP address. Previously I had TalkTalk that I was unhappy with for the same reasons - and thought I was paying for a premium service with Zen but it has been no better.

This time I want to get it right. The new house (as well as the current) has big old thick brick walls so perhaps the wifi struggles to penetrate.

I need a fast and stable connection as I work from home using a cloud environment for security reasons. I also need a fixed IP address to operate a soft phone to the States.

Here's my current plan - Virgin Business Broadband, piped direct into the study upstairs so I can have a wired connection. Then perhaps power plugs to take the connection downstairs and then connect another hub (or maybe wireless hub if there is such a thing?) to get a decent connection downstairs for Kindle Fire Stick video streaming.

I also use Sonos throughout the house but since using the Sonos wireless boost box, performance has been much better.

Would appreciate thoughts on wifi/connectivity design as well as ISP choice.

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Zen is one of the better ISPs. I often recommend them or AAISP (Andrews & Arnold). Zen (in common with most ISPs) is dependent on Openreach's cabling to your premises. TalkTalk would also have used Openreach's wires.

Virgin in most areas use their own wiring so they are not (usually) dependent on Openreach's wiring. Thus you may get a better service with Virgin in your new location, or not. In general I'd expect Zen to provide a better, more technically proficient service overall compared to Virgin but ymmv.

How you distribute your data within your premises is entirely separate to which ISP you use. You do not have to stick with the ISP's supplied router. If the supplied router is poor, replace it. A company like Zen or AAISP will not be shocked if you want to use your own router or other edge device.

If you have thick walls then having some kind of wired connection between the router and points where you need network access is definitely a good idea. If you don't want to have network cable installed then using mains distribution is definitely a good idea. It works well for most people.

You can attach a wired switch to the 'outlet' in whatever rooms you want to serve local wired devices. You can also plug in a wireless access point to serve wireless devices.

You can further have multiple wireless access points connected to your network to provide excellent wireless coverage around the house, taking thick walls into account. In my standard Victorian, 4 bed semi-detached house (with mostly lath and plaster internal walls) I need at least three wireless access points (including the main router) to obtain reasonable wireless access around the house.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 15th March 2017 at 17:35.

Thanks Mark. That was the reason I went with Zen but on reflection should have tried Virgin as it would be different cabling. The current owner in the new location uses a Virgin connection upstairs for work and TalkTalk downstairs for residential use (but I don't want to pay twice).

That was my thinking re the cabled access, so I will try that.

I currently have a wireless extender which has resulted in full bars on my phone and laptop - but no better actual performance.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Zen is one of the better ISPs. I often recommend them or AAISP (Andrews & Arnold). Zen (in common with most ISPs) is dependent on Openreach's cabling to your premises. TalkTalk would also have used Openreach's wires.

Virgin in most areas use their own wiring so they are not (usually) dependent on Openreach's wiring. Thus you may get a better service with Virgin in your new location, or not. In general I'd expect Zen to provide a better, more technically proficient service overall compared to Virgin but ymmv.

It might be worth taking a look at IDNet as well if you want to add another 'boutique' ISP to your shortlist. The thinkbroadband forums used to be a good place, with some knowledgeable and active users, for researching/enquiring about this kind of question. I haven't been there in a while though so I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Master
    I haven't used this solution but it could be a solution to your issues.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/orbi-wifi-review

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    How you distribute your data within your premises is entirely separate to which ISP you use. You do not have to stick with the ISP's supplied router. If the supplied router is poor, replace it. A company like Zen or AAISP will not be shocked if you want to use your own router or other edge device.

If you have thick walls then having some kind of wired connection between the router and points where you need network access is definitely a good idea. If you don't want to have network cable installed then using mains distribution is definitely a good idea. It works well for most people.
    ^^ This

I'm with Zen and had no problems, I've over engineered my home network using pfSense http://www.pfsense.org a few small 8 port Linksys switches, a Ubiquity access-point and some Delolo dLAN devices to carry all the vlans over the mains.

I split into different subnets the following type traffic :-

Lan management
    User
    Guest WiFi << can only access the internet
    IOT << can only access the internet
    DMZ << can only access the internet
    VOICE

With the Ubiquity AP and a switch that supports 802.1q trunks you'll be able to create upto 4 different wireless networks.

If anyone is a bit techie I'd recommend the above type setup.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...c/Drawing1.png
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 15th March 2017 at 20:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I haven't used this solution but it could be a solution to your issues.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/orbi-wifi-review
    Thanks, that does look good it very expensive! I wonder if the same effect can be achieved with two wifi routers connected by home plugs... But need to avoid two different password and logins.

Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad The Bad View Post
    ^^ This

I'm with Zen and had no problems, I've over engineered my home network using pfSense http://www.pfsense.org a few small 8 port Linksys switches, a Ubiquity access-point and some Delolo dLAN devices to carry all the vlans over the mains.

I split into different subnets the following type traffic :-

Lan management
    User
    Guest WiFi << can only access the internet
    IOT << can only access the internet
    DMZ << can only access the internet
    VOICE

With the Ubiquity AP and a switch that supports 802.1q trunks you'll be able to create upto 4 different wireless networks.

If anyone is a bit techie I'd recommend the above type setup.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...c/Drawing1.png
    Wow. Sounds like it's works for you but I don't really want to put the time into a complicated set up, just want something simple which works!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Thanks, that does look good it very expensive! I wonder if the same effect can be achieved with two wifi routers connected by home plugs... But need to avoid two different password and logins.
    That is possible but domestic routers or wifi access points don't hand over to each other seamlessly, so you get hung on the router with poor signal and have to switch over manually. Unfortunately seamless handover costs.

One thing you could try is having the router in the loft and try directing the aerials into the home.

Wow. Sounds like it's works for you but I don't really want to put the time into a complicated set up, just want something simple which works!
    I do it for a job :)

Craftsman
    My advise is DO NOT GO WITH VIRGIN
    We have a few clients with Virgin and most have their lines drop off at least once a day. Everytime you speak to them their answer is to revert to a dynamic ip rather than the static you pay for. Avoid at all costs IMO.

If you're wanting it doing right i would say pay to get some proper cabling put in, especially if you have big thick walls. Power adapters are good these days but nothing still beats CAT5/6 cable. For the wifi i would also go with Nogbad's setup of Unifi's for access points. They can be setup pretty easily if you just want a standard home style network

Master
    Blog Entries
    I know they get some bad press but ive just this minute put an order in for 12 month BT unlimited infinity 1.

Its £28.99 a month but you get a £200 pre paid Mastercard.

Also TCB is £120 and pending.

Works out to around £10 a month.

We have Virgin - no issues and very fast.

Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 15th March 2017 at 23:09.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    I would be worried that your trouble has nothing to do with your internet provider, and everything to do with some fault in your network. Especially as the trouble has remained the same despite the switch from one carrier to another.

I would suggest that you might want to identify that the trouble is in fact your ISP before switching again.

We use a piece of hardware and a software subscription to monitor and track troubles like these on our projects. It may be that the cost is low enough, and the procedure simple enough, that you might be interested in doing the same. Or, you might want to hire a professional to do it for you. The lowest cost IP monitoring service I know of is Domotz, www.domotz.com. A few weeks with a Domotz device connected and you should have enough info to diagnose your trouble.

That said, I may have a free solution. Sonos runs an extremely competent support department, and one of the things a Sonos system does is log the network activity and behavior of your home's connection. If you were to place a support call to Sonos, and describe this trouble, there is a very good chance that they could point you in the right direction.

There is another reason I mention Sonos. An incorrectly installed Sonos system can actually cause the types of problems you describe. Sonos systems actually build a parallel network, along side the network already installed in your home, and the Sonos system itself decides how it should send its traffic. Sometimes they use your hardware, sometimes they use theirs, most times they use a bit of both. Because of this topology, there is a chance that the two can interfere, and cause spurious trouble like you describe.

Banned
    +1 for virgin, we have cat 5 for the kids bedrooms for streaming Xbox Wii U's etc, while we watch netflix stream all good vivid 200 cope's very well.

My youngest can stream cat 5 xbox one while playing his Dell gaming laptop via wifi no problems it amazes me how much GB he can get through.
    Last edited by Fords; 16th March 2017 at 07:20.

Craftsman
    We are with Virgin, and use those Powerline plugs things. They are a revelation. There is a bit of setup to create a 'new' extended WiFi network which you can see, but have our Kodi box actually plugged into one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbeef View Post
    My advise is DO NOT GO WITH VIRGIN
    We have a few clients with Virgin and most have their lines drop off at least once a day. Everytime you speak to them their answer is to revert to a dynamic ip rather than the static you pay for. Avoid at all costs IMO.

If you're wanting it doing right i would say pay to get some proper cabling put in, especially if you have big thick walls. Power adapters are good these days but nothing still beats CAT5/6 cable. For the wifi i would also go with Nogbad's setup of Unifi's for access points. They can be setup pretty easily if you just want a standard home style network
    Thanks Matt, but then who would you recommend? I'm pretty sure there's some benefit in not using the antiquated copper wiring. At least I can ask the current owner what his experience has been like with Virgin, he's a graphic designer so likely to be using more bandwidth than me.

Also shouldn't be too hard to run the cabling round the outside of building as there will already be an entry point for the fibre but I'll see how I go with power line.

Quote Originally Posted by VoleBoy View Post
    We are with Virgin, and use those Powerline plugs things. They are a revelation. There is a bit of setup to create a 'new' extended WiFi network which you can see, but have our Kodi box actually plugged into one as well.
    So do you have another wifi router on the other end of the powerline plug? Is it the same network or two?

Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    I would be worried that your trouble has nothing to do with your internet provider, and everything to do with some fault in your network. Especially as the trouble has remained the same despite the switch from one carrier to another.

I would suggest that you might want to identify that the trouble is in fact your ISP before switching again.

We use a piece of hardware and a software subscription to monitor and track troubles like these on our projects. It may be that the cost is low enough, and the procedure simple enough, that you might be interested in doing the same. Or, you might want to hire a professional to do it for you. The lowest cost IP monitoring service I know of is Domotz, www.domotz.com. A few weeks with a Domotz device connected and you should have enough info to diagnose your trouble.

That said, I may have a free solution. Sonos runs an extremely competent support department, and one of the things a Sonos system does is log the network activity and behavior of your home's connection. If you were to place a support call to Sonos, and describe this trouble, there is a very good chance that they could point you in the right direction.

There is another reason I mention Sonos. An incorrectly installed Sonos system can actually cause the types of problems you describe. Sonos systems actually build a parallel network, along side the network already installed in your home, and the Sonos system itself decides how it should send its traffic. Sometimes they use your hardware, sometimes they use theirs, most times they use a bit of both. Because of this topology, there is a chance that the two can interfere, and cause spurious trouble like you describe.
    That's helpful thanks. I understand how Sonos works but thought it wouldn't have an effect as I rarely work and use Sonos as the same time. That said there's also Hive, the baby monitor etc. So definitely something to be said for wired networks... I wonder if Sonos support can spec their system only to use their wireless mesh.
    Last edited by mindforge; 16th March 2017 at 09:14.

That is possible but domestic routers or wifi access points don't hand over to each other seamlessly, so you get hung on the router with poor signal and have to switch over manually. Unfortunately seamless handover costs.

One thing you could try is having the router in the loft and try directing the aerials into the home.
    So having been stuck in this situation for three months since the fibre was put in by Gigaclear. Never had the issue with BT but most likely as the Internet was dog slow less than 4mb at the router vs new 100mb, they recommended we changed the Xiaomi kit for TPlink but it made Zero difference, as each different accelerator wifi booster could be found from any part of the house. 100mbs lounge on main router 2-3 in my office. Add booster in the middle get 30 in the office but often if you move from the lounge to the office you only get 2-3 cause the device is clinging to the original wifi connection. Has driven me mad, plus the Sky Q set up also seams to clog up the whole thing too, plus Alexa, Nest and Energenie stuff. Have to me resets and connect

Long chat with Friend, decided to try a mesh Wifi Linksys Velop with three nodes, now I get 100mb everywhere, Devices go to the best node, no issues and so far 48 hours in works great.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    So having been stuck in this situation for three months since the fibre was put in by Gigaclear. Never had the issue with BT but most likely as the Internet was dog slow less than 4mb at the router vs new 100mb, they recommended we changed the Xiaomi kit for TPlink but it made Zero difference, as each different accelerator wifi booster could be found from any part of the house. 100mbs lounge on main router 2-3 in my office. Add booster in the middle get 30 in the office but often if you move from the lounge to the office you only get 2-3 cause the device is clinging to the original wifi connection. Has driven me mad, plus the Sky Q set up also seams to clog up the whole thing too, plus Alexa, Nest and Energenie stuff. Have to me resets and connect

Long chat with Friend, decided to try a mesh Wifi Linksys Velop with three nodes, now I get 100mb everywhere, Devices go to the best node, no issues and so far 48 hours in works great.
    Interesting, I hadn't heard of the Linksys option, a quick google suggests the netgear option is better but glad you've resolved your issue.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of the Linksys option, a quick google suggests the netgear option is better but glad you've resolved your issue.
    If they had sold a pack of three Netgears that may have been the choice but they only sell them on Amazon in pairs and did not think a pair would be enough in our house.

Well sounds like a mesh system is the way forward, not unlike Sonos, so it's a pity Sonos can't do that as am added feature. Do you just use it with the stock ISP modem?

Has anybody had experience of the Google WiFi mesh system?

Well sounds like a mesh system is the way forward, not unlike Sonos, so it's a pity Sonos can't do that as am added feature. Do you just use it with the stock ISP modem?
    I have just used standard modem and but did turn off the Wifi

I have just used standard modem and but did turn off the Wifi
    Makes sense, thanks Andy.

Thinking about this, I might try connecting my laptop to the Ethernet port in the back of the Sonos, surely that would take advantage of the Sonos mesh network?

Craftsman
    Thinking about this, I might try connecting my laptop to the Ethernet port in the back of the Sonos, surely that would take advantage of the Sonos mesh network?
    This does work, and Sonos at one point considered offering a network specific product, but SonosNet (the name they give their mesh) has been designed with a limited bandwidth.

Using it eats into the band available for Sonos streaming. Further, there are better choices for WiFi now. SonosNet is roughly equivalent with a limited version of wireless G, (36Mbps).

Craftsman
    Has anybody had experience of the Google WiFi mesh system?
    Yes. It works really well, its easy to set up, and its cheap. The only reason I have decided not to resell it to clients is that the setup can only be performed onsite, via a mobile app. This detail makes remote tech support very difficult.

Yes. It works really well, its easy to set up, and its cheap. The only reason I have decided not to resell it to clients is that the setup can only be performed onsite, via a mobile app. This detail makes remote tech support very difficult.
    Helpful, thanks. According to the square footage recommendations, I'd only need two nodes which if they charge in pounds what it costs in dollars would work out cheaper I think.

Where do you buy it from? I see you can get it on Amazon but it's not officially out in the UK yet.

This does work, and Sonos at one point considered offering a network specific product, but SonosNet (the name they give their mesh) has been designed with a limited bandwidth.

Using it eats into the band available for Sonos streaming. Further, there are better choices for WiFi now. SonosNet is roughly equivalent with a limited version of wireless G, (36Mbps).
    Thanks. It might solve the stability problem which I think is what is kicking me out of the Amazon Work Spaces connection and causing the VOIP artifacts and delays.

Craftsman
    So do you have another wifi router on the other end of the powerline plug? Is it the same network or two?

Sorry I am late to this. Hope it still helps. Using the software, the new adapter creates another network, with a different name. So it's not quite another wifi router on the end. Just the plug that acts as a new hard ethernet port and/or this new network. So anything in the house can see 'both'. Obviously both these networks are piggybacking the single line in from Virgin.

Quote Originally Posted by VoleBoy View Post
    Sorry I am late to this. Hope it still helps. Using the software, the new adapter creates another network, with a different name. So it's not quite another wifi router on the end. Just the plug that acts as a new hard ethernet port and/or this new network. So anything in the house can see 'both'. Obviously both these networks are piggybacking the single line in from Virgin.
    Got it thanks. The problem I had with this previously is that devices keep trying to connect to the weaker network, which is why the mesh system appeals.

Master
    Got it thanks. The problem I had with this previously is that devices keep trying to connect to the weaker network, which is why the mesh system appeals.
    Mesh networks are essentially a repeating network... that's all. They pretend to me the same network by setting each repeater to the same name/security/channel(normally). However that does NOT give you roaming. Roaming is decided by the client and having different APs with the same name doesn't mean the client will hop around seamlessly - by seamlessly I mean without user intervention but also quickly. Each 'repeat' slows things down and also having all the networks on the same channel increases interference and reduces speed. I agree it's an easy setup but not the best for speed and roaming.

If you want speed then you needs APs on the end of cat5 cable runs going back to the source. If you want roaming then each AP needs to support 802.11k and 802.11r - these give you fast hopping and also allow the APs to be on different channels and hence reduces interference.

If the network is for fixed items (PC's, hifi, telly, etc..) then don't use wifi at all; just lan cable direct to the equipment or homeplug. Only use wifi if there really is no other choice and/or outright speed and reliability doesn't matter.

I use wifi in the lounge for the laptop to check email etc... but everything else is connected using 'piggy' style homeplug devices which have no problem keeping up with my 38meg broadband (an internal speed test shows 50meg throughput on my old style 200av piggy homeplug devices).

Master
    For clarity the netgear orbi support site confirms.

"802.11k and 802.11v are supported and used to steer clients to the right AP & band"

I do try to use wired connections wherever possible. But the Kindle Firestick is wifi only which is irritating. And I've run out of sockets on the router. Which homeplug brand/model do you recommend? There are so many with so many mixed reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Mesh networks are essentially a repeating network... that's all. They pretend to me the same network by setting each repeater to the same name/security/channel(normally). However that does NOT give you roaming. Roaming is decided by the client and having different APs with the same name doesn't mean the client will hop around seamlessly - by seamlessly I mean without user intervention but also quickly. Each 'repeat' slows things down and also having all the networks on the same channel increases interference and reduces speed. I agree it's an easy setup but not the best for speed and roaming.

If you want speed then you needs APs on the end of cat5 cable runs going back to the source. If you want roaming then each AP needs to support 802.11k and 802.11r - these give you fast hopping and also allow the APs to be on different channels and hence reduces interference.

If the network is for fixed items (PC's, hifi, telly, etc..) then don't use wifi at all; just lan cable direct to the equipment or homeplug. Only use wifi if there really is no other choice and/or outright speed and reliability doesn't matter.

I use wifi in the lounge for the laptop to check email etc... but everything else is connected using 'piggy' style homeplug devices which have no problem keeping up with my 38meg broadband (an internal speed test shows 50meg throughput on my old style 200av piggy homeplug devices).

Yes it looks like the best system for me - especially as it has multiple ethernet ports at both ends so I can plug in NAS, computer at both ends, Sonos, HIVE etc.

For clarity the netgear orbi support site confirms.

"802.11k and 802.11v are supported and used to steer clients to the right AP & band"

Master
    For powerline I've alway had good service from devolo products, I run three of the av1200's in our flat along with some netgear switches.

If you do buy any switches I'd always suggest going for more ports that you need 8 & 16 port switches are so cheap it's not really worth bothering with the 4 port versions imho.

For powerline I've alway had good service from devolo products, I run three of the av1200's in our flat along with some netgear switches.

If you do buy any switches I'd always suggest going for more ports that you need 8 & 16 port switches are so cheap it's not really worth bothering with the 4 port versions imho.
    Power lines work well in new houses or one with good wiring, in ours they were rubbish. Really am impressed with the Velop but better than pervious setup, robust and fast all the time

Craftsman
    NetGear Powerline 500 range. Got a 'root' and extension from Virgin site, then I found two more 'extenders' on eBay. Just a bit of setup and then been no bother since then. As someone said above, for TV streaming I use the cable facility as it's all conveniently placed anyway. I haven't checked speeds to get figures, but the reliability seems good enough.

Power lines work well in new houses or one with good wiring, in ours they were rubbish. Really am impressed with the Velop but better than pervious setup, robust and fast all the time
    Good point. Rewiring is another thing that needs doing at the new house and won't be done any time soon so the mesh network might be the way to go as at least it will work immediately.

Master
    Generally it's not the age of the wiring... It's what's plugged into the wiring.

Normally of poor or unstable homeplug connectivity are due to mains noise. Typically this is caused by ‘Switch-Mode’ power supplies in things like mobile-phone chargers but also CFL and LED lamps. Usually these devices only interfere with HomePlug reception when plugged in within a metre or so of the HomePlug adapter. Try un-plugging some devices which are near the HomePlug Adapter and see if things improve. Sometimes a little re-arrangement of the plugs and sockets can make a big difference. If you have Mains Passthru' / Piggy homeplug adapters then using the passthrough mains socket can significantly reduce noise.

The mains passthrough socket on a Piggy homeplug unit is a mains filtering socket. What upsets homeplug is mains noise so you need to do anything you can to reduce it. One way is to use piggy homeplug units and then ensure that EVERYTHING that's mains powered near and around the homeplug unit is being powered via that mains passthrough socket on the piggy unit. So plug the piggy unit direct into the wall socket. Then take a multi-way mains strip and plug everything near into it. Then plug the mains strip into the filtered mains passthrough socket on the piggy.

Master
    Good point. Rewiring is another thing that needs doing at the new house and won't be done any time soon so the mesh network might be the way to go as at least it will work immediately.
    Just remember to stick in some cat 5 / 6 in when you rewire :-)

Yes I think I will! The electrician I use is a bit of a geek so I reckon he'd be up to the challenge.

Generally it's not the age of the wiring... It's what's plugged into the wiring.

Normally of poor or unstable homeplug connectivity are due to mains noise. Typically this is caused by ‘Switch-Mode’ power supplies in things like mobile-phone chargers but also CFL and LED lamps. Usually these devices only interfere with HomePlug reception when plugged in within a metre or so of the HomePlug adapter. Try un-plugging some devices which are near the HomePlug Adapter and see if things improve. Sometimes a little re-arrangement of the plugs and sockets can make a big difference. If you have Mains Passthru' / Piggy homeplug adapters then using the passthrough mains socket can significantly reduce noise.

The mains passthrough socket on a Piggy homeplug unit is a mains filtering socket. What upsets homeplug is mains noise so you need to do anything you can to reduce it. One way is to use piggy homeplug units and then ensure that EVERYTHING that's mains powered near and around the homeplug unit is being powered via that mains passthrough socket on the piggy unit. So plug the piggy unit direct into the wall socket. Then take a multi-way mains strip and plug everything near into it. Then plug the mains strip into the filtered mains passthrough socket on the piggy.
    This makes sense. I have my AV equipment plugged into a mains cleaner extension anyway which might help.

Master
    Okay... so stupid stunt moment. Now we (our company) sells networking stuff and I spend a lot of time telling people to run lan cables BUT I don't take my own advice :-( For our current house I had up EVERY floor board during the process of updating and refurbishing it. However it was only after all the new floorboards and carpets were put down that I thought of lan cables!! :-(

Okay... so stupid stunt moment. Now we (our company) sells networking stuff and I spend a lot of time telling people to run lan cables BUT I don't take my own advice :-( For our current house I had up EVERY floor board during the process of updating and refurbishing it. However it was only after all the new floorboards and carpets were put down that I thought of lan cables!! :-(
    Argh! So if I'm thinking of doing an extension and loft conversion, I assume I should wait to do the rewiring as part of those works? Probably won't be doing it all at once though, perhaps extension first...

Master
    Like when we did our renovation and only put four cat 5 down to the AV node, who'd need more than that? Who has a switch there now

Connecting to the ethernet port on the Sonos

So as suggested below I have been on the phone to Sonos Support who suggested removing the wired link between the Sonos Boost and the router so the Boost works only on wireless - seems counterintuitive to me as surely a wired access would be more stable but she thought it might have been causing a loop. Have done so and everything still works but wireless internet access is still slow.

As an experiment I have tried connecting my laptop to the Sonos in my upstairs study by the ethernet port and these were the results:

I have now connected the laptop to the ethernet port in the Study Sonos 3.

Wired ethernet speed test report:

Download - 11.57 mpbs
    Upload - 5.97 mpbs
    Ping latency - 15.63 ms

Wireless access speed test report:

Download - 29 mpbs
    Upload - 6 mpbs
    Latency ping - 21.88ms

What do you think? Looks like Sonos is throttling the download speeds but perhaps it's the longer latency ping which is causing my Amazon Work Spaces to time out and disconnect?

Master
    So as suggested below I have been on the phone to Sonos Support who suggested removing the wired link between the Sonos Boost and the router so the Boost works only on wireless - seems counterintuitive to me as surely a wired access would be more stable but she thought it might have been causing a loop. Have done so and everything still works but wireless internet access is still slow.

As an experiment I have tried connecting my laptop to the Sonos in my upstairs study by the ethernet port and these were the results:

I have now connected the laptop to the ethernet port in the Study Sonos 3.

Wired ethernet speed test report:

Download - 11.57 mpbs
    Upload - 5.97 mpbs
    Ping latency - 15.63 ms

Wireless access speed test report:

Download - 29 mpbs
    Upload - 6 mpbs
    Latency ping - 21.88ms

What do you think? Looks like Sonos is throttling the download speeds but perhaps it's the longer latency ping which is causing my Amazon Work Spaces to time out and disconnect?
    What is your base line figures?

By that I mean wired connection directly to router and wireless sat within 1m of router?
    These should give your best case figures.