closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Bi-Metal watch in years, and I couldn't be happier...

Master

My first Bi-Metal watch in years, and I couldn't be happier...

I created a thread a week or so back asking if anyone knew of a dealer who could give a decent deal on a Rolex GMT 116713. There were a few leads but amazingly, one popped up in a sale yesterday. That never happens for me. Normally I get "oh sorry we sold that 10mins ago" or "hahahaha hahaha haha haha... what, you're being serious?!".

Anyway, my reasons for wanting one are explained more in the video review I've just uploaded, but to cut a long story short, I wanted a watch that was dressy, but not terribly ostentatious. Something practical with good brand heritage and durability, plus good lume and water resistance. A GMT complication would be a bonus as I'm hoping to travel a bit this year.

It's a watch I'd have walked past before, and indeed have done many times, however once I had the opportunity to try one on a while ago, it appealed way more than I expected. It looks so much better on the wrist compared to a shop window.

Here's my full review if you fancy watching, and I'll be reviewing some other watches in the near future...

https://youtu.be/GkCDa3ySmPs
    Last edited by W44NNE; 18th March 2017 at 15:17.

Craftsman
    The bi-metal gmt is my favourite. It is a good all rounder alternative to datejust.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Link does not work, W44NNE.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Link does not work, W44NNE.
    Whoops, hopefully does now 👍👍

Looks great! Congratulations on your new watch. Will look forward to watching the review later.

It seems more and more people these days are less scared to say they like gold in their watches... well I've always loved a bit of yellow gold so congrats on the lovely new watch!

It is one of those watches that looks better being worn!

I think I'd have been wearing the blue yachtmaster for a few weeks though ;)

Great pick up
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    That's lovely, a nice alternative to a BLNR.
    I've no problem at all with TT watches.

My only concern would be scratching the centre links which I assume are polished, but as it's primarily been bought as a dress watch, I'm sure that won't be an issue.

Congratulations.

I'm sure it was much better value than a used BLNR ;)

Great choice, best looking TT Rolex IMHO, terrific value too when you consider what people pay for a BLNR.....

Ok please don't get me wrong as I think its basically brilliant, but I can't get past the thick lugs of fairly recent Rolex, the same watch from 20 years ago looked better, my opinion isn't worth much I know but

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Ok please don't get me wrong as I think its basically brilliant, but I can't get past the thick lugs of fairly recent Rolex, the same watch from 20 years ago looked better, my opinion isn't worth much I know but
    I hear you - but from a slight distance, I couldn't tell the difference between the ceramic Sub date, and the olde 16610 Sub in my watch box - and the newer one had a shiny bezel, maxi hour markers and thicker hands!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I hear you - but from a slight distance, I couldn't tell the difference between the ceramic Sub date, and the olde 16610 Sub in my watch box - and the newer one had a shiny bezel, maxi hour markers and thicker hands!!!
    Genuinely I'm with you, steel and yellow metal looks great, I kept mine for about 10 years and wish I still had it as I would whack it on a black rubber strap and be well chuffed .

Master
    Thanks for the replies. The older models of course are very nice but I prefer the older steel versions. In the newer models, I tend to think the TT works well and of course they're sold-through links rather than hollow etc, so there's a nice weight to it.

Very nice Wayne. I must admit, I am warming towards two tone, quickly

Master
    Really nice, the only bi-metal I would consider. Enjoy in good health

Master
    Very nice. Got a new GMT BLNR today myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is really beautiful. I don't usually like black and gold but it just seems to "work" on the GMT.

Craftsman
    Like the previous poster, this isn't usually my cup of tea, but that is particularly attractive.

Congratulations!

Master
    Congrats u finally got one at a terrific price!! Patience paid off! Nice video review too, thinking of starting something like that too.

Master
    Very nice, I fancy a TT myself, either a DJ41 or a TT DayC if out next week.

Looks great Wayne.

Probably the only TT Rolex that I could see myself owning.

Stylish as F,

Very envious

Mozza

Master
    Thanks all :-) Wore it to the cinema tonight... to test the lume of course

Craftsman
    I love this watch. Warmed to the GMT watch the past few years. That wears really well, congrats.

Very nice Rolex model indeed & I enjoyed your video review.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Congratulations Wayne mate, I have no idea how old you are but I think two-tone's an 'age thing'...

I simply didn't 'get' them until recently then suddenly they clicked....
    Love the TT GMT but I went for the Sub's simply because of the glide lock clasp.

The thing is, now I'm used to bi-metal, all my stainless steel watches look and feel almost 'boring' so hardly get a look in these days.

Love your review by the way....
    (Maybe TT's not so 'age related' after all, you look about half my age!!)

Last edited by spuds; 19th March 2017 at 23:14. Reason: Typo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post

My first one was before I reached thirty so I'm not so sure it's an age thing; just a conscious choice after owning so many steel watches, and then trying full on crazy gold. I remember once going to Goldsmiths in the Trafford Centre years ago and there was a sales person there. He can't have been more than 20 and he was so excited to show me his two-tone TAG Heuer watch that he forcefully pulled his sleeve up and shouted "BOOM" as he revealed the watch lol.

Grand Master
    If you go Bi then the GMT is top 3 for sure
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I hope we're still talking about watches, but what are your favourites Kerry?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    GMTIIC
    Datejust 2 On Jubilee (Dark Dial)
    RG/Steel YM2
    RIAC

Master
    GMTIIC
    RG/Steel YM2
    Totally with you one everything but the DJ. Still never had one so maybe the only way to know is to try one.

..... I remember once going to Goldsmiths in the Trafford Centre years ago and there was a sales person there. He can't have been more than 20 and he was so excited to show me his two-tone TAG Heuer watch that he forcefully pulled his sleeve up and shouted "BOOM" as he revealed the watch lol.

Funny as @@@@ love that!!!!!

Glad I wasn't the only one had that thought!!

GMTIIC
    RG/Steel YM2
    Gotta love the TT 41mm DJ's, absolutely agree with that one, not a fan of the TT YM2 tho....
    Last edited by spuds; 19th March 2017 at 23:30. Reason: Typo/size

Master
    Gotta love the TT 40mm DJ's, absolutely agree with that one, not a fan of the TT YM2 tho....
    I have to admit to loving that watch. Totally mental but that kind of suits me lol

Congratulations Wayne mate, I have no idea how old you are but I think two-tone's an 'age thing'...

I simply didn't 'get' them until recently then suddenly they clicked....
    Love the TT GMT but I went for the Sub's simply because of the glide lock clasp.

The thing is, now I'm used to bi-metal, all my stainless steel watches look and feel almost 'boring' so hardly get a look in these days.

Love your review by the way....

Long time no post for me :) But I have been lurking and following this thread and Spuds thread also.
    I have had a soft spot for a two tone for a few years now and it's something that's obviously not going to go away. I went and tried on both the GMT & Sub during the week and really couldn't choose between the two. I had been looking to PX my LV for one or the other, but can't decide :)

I'd only go pre owned and it seems as the GMT ceramic came out earlier you could pick up one for less than the ceramic sub. Have you gentlemen got any advise before I start to shop around?

Thanks in advance Ally

Blue and Gold looks so drug dealer to me. Oops sorry.

I must admit the blue doesn't float my boat :) The black on either the GMT or Sub with the ceramic look stunning!!

Master

My first one was before I reached thirty so I'm not so sure it's an age thing; just a conscious choice after owning so many steel watches, and then trying full on crazy gold. I remember once going to Goldsmiths in the Trafford Centre years ago and there was a sales person there. He can't have been more than 20 and he was so excited to show me his two-tone TAG Heuer watch that he forcefully pulled his sleeve up and shouted "BOOM" as he revealed the watch lol.
    Don't thinking is an age thing. My first ever Rolex was a TT DJ with white dial and a few years later a TT YM again with white dial. I seem to have a polar thing going on.

Loved the review great video! And not normally my thing but that is stunning

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Loved the review great video! And not normally my thing but that is stunning

The video is great, gives you a good idea of what the GMT is all about.
    My dilemma seems to be is the Sub worth the bit extra, an earlier GMT in TT goes for less so therefore maybe that helps swing it :)

Looks great Wayne, I like the look of the Bi metal GMT IIc with the green dial too. Not sure if its something that Rolex give as an option or whether people have just modified their own. As I said in an earlier thread I am looking to add a GMT and the Bi Metal one has crossed my mind. I tried a beautiful Root Beer one on on Friday but I have to agree I think the chunkier case of the GMT IIc suites the Gold and Stainless more!! Plus these do look very good VFM when you see 12 year old 16710's up near £7000!!!!

I bought a TT GMTC in December just gone, I got tempted to trade it last month but fortunately was able to buy it back, I didn't realise just how much I liked it until I had parted with it. I know TT watches are not for everyone but I love this watch, I would suggest anyone sceptical about TT Rolex's try one of these on at their AD, I won't be letting this one go again anytime soon....

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    I bought a TT GMTC in December just gone, I got tempted to trade it last month but fortunately was able to buy it back, I didn't realise just how much I liked it until I had parted with it. I know TT watches are not for everyone but I love this watch, I would suggest anyone sceptical about TT Rolex's try one of these on at their AD, I won't be letting this one go again anytime soon....

i

That's a stunning peace Shalako I see your in Surrey my neck of the woods if you change your mind your not far
    I see more and more TT watches nowadays and it's certainly not an age thing TT wears well with the youngsters as well as all gold you only have to watch some of the reality rubbish on TV and social media in today's world to see who wears this.

I am looking to purchase on of these will be trying to find a suitable trade with my LV once I get back from a short Easter break :)

Master

Might be age for some!

I think as I get older I do feel a little more love for the bi-metal pieces but I also think at a certain age it does look better? Even though I don't care what anyone thinks I know what people have said to me about youngsters(as they put it!) wearing such a flash watch!!!!!!
    I think people seem to accept it easier when an older gent wears one and they just think a youngster is trying to hard to be a flash git😂 Each to their own at the end of they say as I wear whatever I want but I have found it easier to wear any style depending on what the occasion requires!!

I love these bi-metal GMT's and the blue Sub has always been a watch I need to try?? I remember when a guy in Spain I new offered me a bi metal blue faced sub for £2100 not that long ago as he said there was no love for it and he couldn't sell it in Spain and I said no😳😳🙄Another one I wish I had bought 😢

Chris

Having a look around at prices seems an earlier GMT would be the value watch anD expect to pay around £1k more for Submariner TT.
    Does anyone thing it's going to be possible to trade a Sub LV Z serial a complete package and a Rolex service done in 2011 for a GMT with little outlay?
    Advise appreciated thanks.

Master
    I love it but "not ostentatious". LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by ally View Post
    Having a look around at prices seems an earlier GMT would be the value watch anD expect to pay around £1k more for Submariner TT.
    Does anyone thing it's going to be possible to trade a Sub LV Z serial a complete package and a Rolex service done in 2011 for a GMT with little outlay?
    Advise appreciated thanks.

Would anyone have any ideas on this? Or maybe an achievable price to swap?

Master
    Stunning watch! I handled one once but just outside my budget at the time. If I had to have just one watch id be happy with just that

Craftsman
    What's the durability like of the gold bezel and polished centre links? Do they attract a lot more damage than their steel counterparts?