closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Saucepan Thread (induction)

Blog Entries

The Saucepan Thread (induction)

Here goes, I really am G&D to an all time low.

Two and a half weeks into the building works at home and I have stripped the kitchen out so that's it for the 8-10 weeks, no mod cons.

Having said this Mrs P purchased a single tefal induction hob that plugs in. I had heard good things about induction but crikey the heat and speed is amazing.

Our old Circulon pans have seen better days and with spring sales here we are looking to nab a new set. I really enjoy cooking and creating and do spend a lot of time with pans in front of me so happy to spend several quid.

So what are you using and hob to oven capability is a must.

Ta

Master
    Ironically I've just bought a few circulon and I'm v impressed with the quality

I was all ready to pitch in with gusto to this thread until I read your 'hob to oven' comment, I'll add my comment anyway if that's not a requirement for some, we've had a induction job for a while and gone through a few manufacturers, Tefal were rubbish, the non stick coating wore off very quickly, surprisingly the best I have found that still look like new and are effortless to clean are Dunelms own brand of non stick pans. Had some a couple of years and they are as good as new still. We have also a set of LeCruset pans which are ok but very heavy and a pain to clean.
    Neither are hob to oven though sorry.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Grand Master
    Im an induction man and I love not only the speed but the induction pans also heat and cool super fast too. We went with a set from Pro Cook and they are great
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    I've got some Stellar pans... been fine for 8 years

Also ditched the electric kettle as it was quicker getting a stove top kettle to boil water on the induction ring

When we redid our kitchen we upgraded pans to mauviel. They are a bit heavy but really well made and work well with induction. I found that Amazon have the best prices but you have to keep an eye out as they change constantly. https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com is useful here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use Tefal stainless steel pans, I think they're the Jamie Oliver ones. Clearly they must have an iron core in the base as they work fine in our induction.

They are all metal so oven proof and don't have a non stick coating so no issues with coating wear.

Very easy to keep clean too. We bought them years ago and I think they'll probably last forever.

We have an induction Aga, and Le Creuset work perfectly.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Le creuset for me ,yes they are heavy ,totally solid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    We use Tefal stainless steel pans, I think they're the Jamie Oliver ones. Clearly they must have an iron core in the base as they work fine in our induction.

They are all metal so oven proof and don't have a non stick coating so no issues with coating wear.

Very easy to keep clean too. We bought them years ago and I think they'll probably last forever.
    We have some Tefal too, 15 years or so old and they are as good as new, I think ours are pre Jamie!

Master
    Recently we tried Eaziglide Neverstick2 from JL, they didn't seem to work as well despite claiming to be suitable for induction.

Circulons, on the other hand, are excellent, or so the wife says :)

UPDATE: Well I got this totally wrong. Apparently I bought a set of JL own-brand ones stating suitable for induction hobs but they were shite, so they were swopped for Eaziglides instead, which apparently are excellent (and boy do they hurt on the head) :)
    Last edited by ism123; 18th March 2017 at 23:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

We bought the Jamie Oliver ones with the non-stick coating. The Mrs was swearing profusely at them the other day as everything was sticking. Think she binned them!

Craftsman
    Stellar gets our vote well made and appear to be long lasting.

Master
    We have some old M&S pans which still work really well. Had to bin a number of other ones as they no longer worked. But we splashed out on a Le Creuset griddle pan and it is rubbish. The base is not flat in fact it reminds me I need to speak to them about it. We just bought a Circulon Ultimum frying pan and that seems really decent. I then annoyingly found that the Circulon website has really good deals on sets of pans so worth looking there if you are interested.

Craftsman
    We have this le creuset set and find them really good.

https://www.johnlewis.com/le-creuset...set/p230418209

Master
    Love my induction hob too - I use an old set of stainless steel meyer on mine. Im also a big fan of Circulon and have wok, chefs pan, griddle and stockpot from their own website which often has reduced prices http://circulon.uk.com/cookware/yes__.html. but for longevity would't recommend non stick anything for everyday saucepans you dont need it for boiling spuds!

I also use Aga Cookware, well I have alot of it as I used to work for them! My Le Crueset is great (its over 30 years old and not the modern stuff) but its heavy and I am always worried the unfinished base will scratch the glass, so use it sparingly.

I would get what you need as opposed it getting a set as theyre often like knife sets packed with sizes you wont use. A good online cookshop is Hartsofatur http://www.hartsofstur.com but also have a squint on amazon as they often have individual items at good prices.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    We bought the Jamie Oliver ones with the non-stick coating. The Mrs was swearing profusely at them the other day as everything was sticking. Think she binned them!
    On principle I wouldnt buy anything with Jamie Olivers name on it!

But on a serious note folks wreck their non stick by persistently over heating it - turn it on and wack it up to full blast.

not saying thats what your mrs has does :)

We have a Siemens induction hob... most of our pans are Meyer which are good, but importantly their service is excellent..why? we bought a small nonstick omlette pan which developed a problem when the non-stick coating started to blister (after 3 years) where the handle was attached... got in touch with Meyer by email, sent the pan back and they sent out a new one promptly.

Just as an aside Siemens were based in Staines... imagine them answering the phone "Hello Siemens Staines" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    On principle I wouldnt buy anything with Jamie Olivers name on it!

But on a serious note folks wreck their non stick by persistently over heating it - turn it on and wack it up to full blast.

not saying thats what your mrs has does :)

We won't buy anything by Jamie Oliver again, and avoid his restaurants like the plague!

I shall quiz the Mrs! Lol

Trust me completely when I say Scanpan make THE BEST non stick stuff in the world. (Four years in high end cookware stores and ex chef). Either the CTX range or the IQ (if you want lighter pans). http://www.scanpan.com

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by professorfail View Post
    Trust me completely when I say Scanpan make THE BEST non stick stuff in the world. (Four years in high end cookware stores and ex chef). Either the CTX range or the IQ (if you want lighter pans). http://www.scanpan.com

Like the look of the Fusion 5, simple uncomplicated design. Where can you buy them from in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by LuBee View Post
    Like the look of the Fusion 5, simple uncomplicated design. Where can you buy them from in the UK?
    My old work sells them. If you drop Jason an email and mention that Ed referred you to them he might do you a special deal on a set of pans.
    jason@seasoncookshop.co.uk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by professorfail View Post
    My old work sells them. If you drop Jason an email and mention that Ed referred you to them he might do you a special deal on a set of pans.
    jason@seasoncookshop.co.uk

Cheers off to drool over cookware......

Tefal ingenio. Clip on handles so easy storage and hob to oven.

IAnother vote for Le Creuset SS sauce and fry pans, proper quality and great vfm IMO.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I've no idea what you lot are talking about but I'll ask the Mrs.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    It was already mentioned brieflly above but beware of the really heavy pans because it is too easy to scratch the glass of the induction hob. Don't ask how I know ;-)

Also, worth a mention that although the heating effect is virtually instantaneous when you turn the induction ring off, the glass will retain heat for some time and you can easily forget this and place a hand on the hob and get a burn. Same disclaimer as above!

Blog Entries
    Heck we are a sad bunch, when I started this thread this morning I was expecting a barrage of pokey comments.

Top marks chaps and many thanks some good recommendations to work through.

You really use a kettle on your induction Ben. ?? Quicker than a plug in??

Ta
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    You really use a kettle on your induction Ben. ?? Quicker than a plug in??

Ta
    Paul
    We use a kettle on ours and it is at least as quick as electric.

Master
    Falcon induction range cooker here absolutely love it we have a mixture of le creuset and scanpan here very happy with them I prefer the le creuset personally but the Mrs finds them heavy so prefers the scanpan stuff. Yes the speed of a proper induction hob is something to behold but you can have one ring/burner delivering 5-6kw double most kettles

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Hi there!
    I'm here looking for recommendations on best induction ranges. I have read many reviews on GE Profile but that’s the brand we are getting rid of after years of repairs and poor performance (although we have electric smoothtop model). My neighbor across the street has the first generation Bosch induction range and she just loves it. So just found information on the similar model here. Maybe will get Bosch

Easy. If your budget will stretch get an induction Aga.

We've had ours six years now and it’s been brilliant- no issues and hugely powerful.

A saucepan of cold water to boiling in less than sixty seconds is very impressive to watch!

Fantastically easy to clean too.
    So clever my foot fell off.

I cannot vouch for Stellar 1000 pans highly enough, I bought a set and some other bits when I bought my first house in 1996, I still use them to this day; on the hob, in the oven, in the dishwasher, they are still like brand new. Sandwich base means no hot spots so they cook really well. At this rate I’ll be handing them down as a family heirloom!

Stellar are good. Lagostina are even better.

Circulon.

Master
    Blog Entries
    For the range, AGA.

For the Pans
    Stellar James Martin. Stainless steel with Aluminium core - importantly the core extends up the sides of the pan and is not just in the base, so cooking is very even.

Had mine for 3 years and as good as new still.

I'm going to moving from non stick le creuset (pans are degrading very badly) to some pro cook. They get very good reviews.

ProCook Elite Tri-Ply Saucepan Set | 4 Piece | Set of Stainless Steel Induction Pans with Advanced 3-Layer Construction Suitable for All Hobs https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00WI1WK..._vB44CbWGZS7MD

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Are you putting in a permanent induction hob?

Because as feedback, and with ref to you spending lots on pans....... I flipping hate our induction hob.

I'm renting, so I can't change it, but it's a pain in the ar$e

Flush capacitive buttons turn the whole unit off when you rest a thing on them.
    Had to bench half of my pans when we moved in, no induction egg poacher, no nice griddle pan, etc
    One pad broke after 24 months and was unrepairable, whole unit thrown away
    Pads stay hot for ages after switch off
    Yes easily cleanable, but at what functional cost?

Gas is how to cook. In my opinion, and I've trialled all methods over the last 30yrs....

Classic example of technology giving us a solution to a problem we didn't have

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    Are you putting in a permanent induction hob?

Because as feedback, and with ref to you spending lots on pans....... I flipping hate our induction hob.

I'm renting, so I can't change it, but it's a pain in the ar$e

Flush capacitive buttons turn the whole unit off when you rest a thing on them.
    Had to bench half of my pans when we moved in, no induction egg poacher, no nice griddle pan, etc
    One pad broke after 24 months and was unrepairable, whole unit thrown away
    Pads stay hot for ages after switch off
    Yes easily cleanable, but at what functional cost?

Gas is how to cook. In my opinion, and I've trialled all methods over the last 30yrs....

Classic example of technology giving us a solution to a problem we didn't have
    Different strokes for different folks

I have both (domino hobs) and love the control and power you get from induction…. Slow cook on 1 or 2 for hours or reduce a sauce on the highest setting in no time at all

Gas is better for wok type cooking, but, that’s about it…. I prefer the induction

Another Stellar fan here. Mine came with a lifetime guarantee. They feel like they're going to outlast me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Different strokes for different folks

I have both (domino hobs) and love the control and power you get from induction…. Slow cook on 1 or 2 for hours or reduce a sauce on the highest setting in no time at all

Gas is better for wok type cooking, but, that’s about it…. I prefer the induction
    You do actually talk sense sometimes, although very rarely. I could not agree more son.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    You do actually talk sense sometimes, although very rarely. I could not agree more son.

Pitch
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day Paulo