closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Toothache Part I

Toothache Part I

About twelve months ago during a routine up check my dentist said an existing filling was becoming loose! the filling had never caused me any grief in the thirty plus years it had been there, nor did it now so he books a date for it to be fixed, a week later and it's job done, not job well done just done.

Part II
    After a few days this tooth became hyper sensitive to hot and cold and very painful when subjected to either, I persevered for a few more days but it got steadily worse, I booked to see the butcher again but got another dentist instead, I explained my symptoms to the lady dentist, who also had to reshape the filling as the butcher had made an arse of it, it was just after this she sprayed some cold air on the tooth to check its sensitivity level, I shit you not I nearly jumped out of the chair, so much so it made her real back it was absolute agony, I asked what could be done to sort it, root canal etc was her reply 'and who is going to pay for this as it was perfectly fine before the butcher did his work' in not so many words she stared the butcher had drilled too close to the nerve and this was causing the pain, I asked for an X-ray stating I want to know what damage the butcher has caused, I was told I would have to book in with the butcher for this, so this I did.

Part III
    A week later I'm in with the butcher, no mincing of words ' whatever you did to my filling has caused it to by hyper sensitive and is causing me a lot of pain' I want an X-ray of the damage done' well he was very reluctant to do an X-ray, stating it may take a few months to calm down, but in the mean time have shit loads of the sensitive toothpaste for free! don't brush it apply directly to the tooth, this I did for months,
    After a period of time it either eased off, though I now consciously avoided eating and drinking on the left side.

Part IV
    Earlier in the week I started with what I would describe as slight toothache, just there in the background over a day or so it got worse, to the point I wasn't sleeping properly out with the pain killers, these took the edge off untill yesterday morning where the pain became a very different animal, by mid afternoon it was bad, the pain killers wouldn't touch it, the wife got me some Solfedine Plus and some Orajel I'd never heard of either but I would have tried anything to rid this pain.
    After a good half an hour the new tackle seemed to be working, I took some more before trying to go to sleep, fast forward to 03.00 I woke up with a pain I can not describe, other than it ran from my lower jaw to my upper jaw, through my left ear, and up to my head, I would say I have a pretty high threshold for pain but this was on a different level, after taking more pain killers and applying the gel the only thing that would helps was to go on all fours with my head on a pillow, pushing down on my head and rocking back and forth like a mad man, after half an hour the pain killers started to kick in and I was able to get some sleep.

Part V
    07.00 time for more Solfadine and the gel stuff, five minutes later I hit a pain level I hope I never have to experience again I cannot describe the pain I was in, I spent the next two and a half hours in the head down rocking position, I can't tell you how close it came to grabbing a bloody handful of those Solfadine tablets, all I kept thinking was what it must have been like back in the day where pain relief was pretty non existent.
    The wife got on the phone and thank god I was booked in for 11.00 to see the emergency dentist, by this time I was well and truly f***ed a brief explanation to the emergency dentist of my symptoms and what the last butcher had done, she started talking about nerve repair would be needed etc, I just said pull the thing out now, she replied 'yep that will also work' a few injections later and her asking if I was sure I wanted it out, with a lot of sweating and panty from the dentist with numerous attempts she managed to pull the fooking thing out, I never felt a thing pain wise just all the pulling and twisting to get the huge molar out, I was a happy chappy.
    After looking at the X-ray she told me I had irreversible nerve somthing or other, the pain would have eventualy gone away using the pain killers, but because the nerve was so badly infected / swollen it would likely then become a cyst where I would likely loose the tooth anyway, I lost a couple of teeth to abscesses back in my twenties, I thought they were painful back then, but nothing can compare to this latest episode, by chance I'm booked in for the end of the month for my routine check with butcher, let's see if he notice there is another tooth missing, because I sure as hell will be mentioning it.
    The injections are now starting to wear off, my lower lip looks like I've been punched form her levering against my gob, fingers crossed for no infection in the cavity, I would not wish that type of pain on my worse enemy, if you managed to get this far thanks for reading.
    Just remembered after thanking her for a sterling job, she mentioned a normal extraction would cost around £52, but she only charged me £19.72 every cloud and all that.
    Last edited by geran; 13th March 2017 at 13:30.

Craftsman
    Glad it's finally sorted for you. I have to say I think I would be searching for a new dentist 😉

I'm glad you got it sorted in the end. This might help somebody else — standing in the shower gives a degree of relief while you're waiting for the painkillers to kick in. I've no idea how it works, but it does.

Similar thing happened to me, dentist nicked the nerve when redoing a old filling that it was said needed attention, was causing me no problems.

Que following months sensitivity in said tooth, was told it would settle down, do not worry.

It did not, got worse, loads of pain.

Went to the dentist in the morning one day had the tooth drilled and drained, then told a root canal booked three weeks later. Then That very after noon I went to hospital to have a wisdom tooth out under a local, no walk in the park but as that started to settle over next few days, original tooth kicked off with increased pain and got worse.

Back to the dentist few days later, who said they can drain the abscess under the tooth again and do the root canal in a couple of weeks, I said I would like it pulled out here and now please, or I will do it later.

Tooth was immediately taken out and dentist said you have a cyst under it, that would be painful ( just a bit ) and a root canal would not have been a good idea.

Life with out the tooth and a gap, is all good.

So you have my sympathy OP, get well soon mate. 
    Last edited by pastrana72; 11th March 2017 at 20:13.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A filling can't be "becoming loose". It's either loose or it isn't. Reading through the history, it's not obvious to me that the original dentist has done anything negligent. He may have, he may not have. Sometimes, despite the dentist's best endeavours, things go tits up. There could be a perfectly reasonable explanation for the treatment carried out. Teeth can react badly &, if they do, it bloody hurts.

I wouldn't be impressed if the second "lady" dentist had been slagging my work off to the patient. That's very unprofessional & bound to provoke a reaction.

There also seems to be a fair bit of confusion e.g. ....."but because the nerve was so badly infected / swollen it would have then turned to an ulcer, where I would likely loose the tooth anyway, I lost a couple of teeth to ulcers back in my twenties,". You don't lose teeth because of ulcers. Did you mean abscess?

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post

There also seems to be a fair bit of confusion e.g. ....."but because the nerve was so badly infected / swollen it would have then turned to an ulcer, where I would likely loose the tooth anyway, I lost a couple of teeth to ulcers back in my twenties,". You don't lose teeth because of ulcers. Did you mean abscess?
    Yes wrong wording, they were abscesses now edited.
    Last edited by geran; 11th March 2017 at 20:44.

Blog Entries
    Mega sympathies from me, this is a shocking experience!

Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post

Back to the dentist few days later, who said they can drain the abscess under the tooth again and do the root canal in a couple of weeks, I said I would like it pulled out here and now please, or I will do it later.
    Pain or no pain, I'd sure like to see the size of your balls man...

Master
    Just have the bastard pulled out now. It will have to happen eventually so you may as well have it sorted now rather than go through all the grief an expense of waiting and expensive remedial work.

Rob

Master
    Blog Entries
    My back then new dentist said i had a filling that was going bad. I couldnt have another filling as there wasnt much tooth left so would need a cap.

I said its been fine so i left it. 6 years on and its still fine.

Master
    A filling can't be "becoming loose". It's either loose or it isn't. Reading through the history, it's not obvious to me that the original dentist has done anything negligent. He may have, he may not have. Sometimes, despite the dentist's best endeavours, things go tits up. There could be a perfectly reasonable explanation for the treatment carried out. Teeth can react badly &, if they do, it bloody hurts.

I wouldn't be impressed if the second "lady" dentist had been slagging my work off to the patient. That's very unprofessional & bound to provoke a reaction.

As above.
    The original dentist may have done everything correctly but sometimes teeth kick off despite this. The chances are root canal therapy would have sorted it but you decided on the extraction option instead which is understandable.
    These things do happen from time to time unfortunately but thankfully not too often.

Craftsman
    A filling can't be "becoming loose". It's either loose or it isn't.
    As I know it can. When the dentist preparing the tooth for the filling and it's not completely dry (even a little saliva can be a problem), sooner or later decay starts below and the filling becomes loose and eventually falls out. Unfortunately I've had problems with some dentists in the past...
    My current dentist uses a tight rubber sheet around the tooth to ensure it remains dry during the process and no problems since then.

Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    As I know it can. When the dentist preparing the tooth for the filling and it's not completely dry (even a little saliva can be a problem), sooner or later decay starts below and the filling becomes loose and eventually falls out. Unfortunately I've had problems with some dentists in the past...
    My current dentist uses a tight rubber sheet around the tooth to ensure it remains dry during the process and no problems since then.
    Stick with your dentist - they are a dentist after my own heart. Rubber dam = good composite fillings = ethical, well trained dentist. I can't remember the last time I placed a posterior composite filling without rubber dam.

If it's a premolar and back, and they are doing them in white (composite) and it takes more than 5 minutes to pace, I would always use a rubber dam. Composite is a hydrophobic resin and any moisture can results in a leaking margin!

Seems everytime the dentist re do fillings i have this problem. I battled through for 2 weeks the first time when i was about 20, from then on when i get tooth ache i phone up and tell them to book me appointment for extraction unless they prefer i do it.... I normally get the appointment pretty quick. :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by luckyhands View Post

If it's a premolar and back, and they are doing them in white (composite) and it takes more than 5 minutes to pace, I would always use a rubber dam. Composite is a hydrophobic resin and any moisture can results in a leaking margin!
    I recently had one of these white fillings, this was also carried out by the dentist who did the other repair that caused me issue, the white filling was also a replacement of an old filling where the whole top section had come away while eating a toffee, would I know if the rubber dam method had been used?
    I've had no issues at all with this repair and it blends in so much better, why aren't these used all the time rather that the unsightly lump dark coloured metal.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Sounds delightful

Just out of interest,why didn't you get an X-ray from the butcher to see the damage done,and get it sorted then?
    And also,why on earth haven't you changed dentist?

As an aside,years ago after having let my dental visits lapse for a few years I registered with a new dentist. He was my (now) wife's family dentist and they thoroughly recommended him. Along I went expecting to be told off for leaving it a few years,and to need a good going over by the hygienist. I am subsequently told that I need a couple of fillings blah blah blah. I wasn't convinced at all as I had never had any problems with my teeth (and haven't since btw) but,reluctantly,went ahead. Bloody hell...took about 6 or 7 attempts to anethastise one side and then didn't wait long enough for it to take effect and then proceeded to treat me like a 5 year old whilst using some tools he found on a building site.
    I particularly enjoyed accumulating a very big pile of loose,mixed change with which to pay him with.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Sounds delightful

Just out of interest,why didn't you get an X-ray from the butcher to see the damage done,and get it sorted then?
    And also,why on earth haven't you changed dentist?
    As stated in the original post, when I had the second appointment with the butcher the first thing I asked about was an X-ray, he was very reluctant and basicly talked his way out of it, stating it would get better in time, maybe he already knew what the X-ray would have shown up.
    Yes I will be asking to change to another dentist within the same group.

Just to add, when I was 13 years old I needed a filling, I'm sat in the chair I kid you not the dentist says to me your a big lad you won't need an injection! and that's exactly what happened, it was painful but nothing compared to the other days toothach, I can't remember the name of this butcher but it was in Bingley and all the family used to go there.

The Army dentists were no better, when I was back in civvy street I managed to get into a NHS dentist, after my first check up he asked why I had numerous temporary fillings in place, no idea was my reply, I just assumed they had done the job right first time round, as I was never told to come back, and I went a few times over the years, must of been cut backs !
    Last edited by geran; 12th March 2017 at 20:40.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    would I know if the rubber dam method had been used?
    I've had no issues at all with this repair and it blends in so much better, why aren't these used all the time rather that the unsightly lump dark coloured metal.
    That rubber piece is all over your mouth, so you'd know.
    I thought that amalgam fillings are not used anymore because of the mercury...

Quote Originally Posted by vcarter View Post
    That rubber piece is all over your mouth, so you'd know.
    I thought that amalgam fillings are not used anymore because of the mercury...

Amalgams are still used; generally speaking they last, are quick and easy to place and cost effective. The reason some European countries stopped using them was more to do with getting rid of the mercury waste and its environmental issues.

A good composite filling to restore a moderately decayed/broken molar would take around 50-70 minutes for me to restore well. A good amalgam would take around 20-25 minutes.

on the NHS, the dentist would get paid the same for both (anywhere from £24-36 depending on which part of the country, but this would also include a check up, in require scaling and x-rays and any additional filling work). It's just not feasible to work like that unless you're doing it privately.

Bottom line is the NHS dentistry is a big fat lie.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyhands View Post
    Amalgams are still used; generally speaking they last, are quick and easy to place and cost effective. The reason some European countries stopped using them was more to do with getting rid of the mercury waste and its environmental issues.

A good composite filling to restore a moderately decayed/broken molar would take around 50-70 minutes for me to restore well. A good amalgam would take around 20-25 minutes.

on the NHS, the dentist would get paid the same for both (anywhere from £24-36 depending on which part of the country, but this would also include a check up, in require scaling and x-rays and any additional filling work). It's just not feasible to work like that unless you're doing it privately.

Bottom line is the NHS dentistry is a big fat lie.
    And add on a molar root filling, at least 90 minutes work, in addition to the normal filling & the Dentist gets paid an extra....zero pounds. You need one filling it'll cost you about £50. If you need 10 fillings it still costs you £50 i.e. £5 per filling. The fee is the same no matter how many fillings you need. Not a good business model

My dental surgery was taken over a few years ago by a young pair of dentists, the difference in quality and techniques and skill used are leagues ahead of the previous now retired owners, they are brilliant, but, its very obvious its now run much more commercially and as a business rather than a NHS service, lots of cosmetic dentistry posters on the walls etc, I don't blame them though, Ive had a few old amalgams replaced with composite at some expense but that was my choice, the dentist was very fair and spelled out the cost options from the start.
    He is however eyeing up my 20 year old metal cap on one of my molars as a potential job, but as its been no bother for all this time Im reluctant to go for it.

^
    Unless you have a flip-top head, who's going to see it?!

Indeed, mind you, I currently use it to encourage / scare my 8 year old to brush his teeth properly.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Indeed, mind you, I currently use it to encourage / scare my 8 year old to brush his teeth properly.
    I'm the same. "If you don't want black teeth like Daddy, brush properly...". Seems to get the message across :)

Master
    OP, are you a smoker?
    ( just out of curiosity).
    I'm scared of dentists, experienced a couple of good ones, but most of them were butchers ... so I only go when I really really need to... unless I find a decent one again

Quote Originally Posted by michalko82 View Post
    OP, are you a smoker?
    ( just out of curiosity).
    I'm scared of dentists, experienced a couple of good ones, but most of them were butchers ... so I only go when I really really need to... unless I find a decent one again
    I Used to smoke, stopped 16 yrs ago, though I do contribute a number of my fillings to smoking in my 20's I was never a hard core smoker, but after a smoke I used to pop a polo in my mouth, well might as well have been throwing bags of sugar in there.

My younger brother was never a dentist lover, he used to have terrible bouts of pain, he would also get some kind of lock jaw symptoms, his girlfriend at the time managed to get him to visit her dentist who sorted all the issues out, now he's a regular 6 monthly check guy, as you state if you have a couple of bad experiences with dentist, you are hardly going to be looking forward to the next visit.
    Last edited by geran; 15th March 2017 at 13:22.

Craftsman
    toothache/earache blighted my childhood two of the worst pains iv'e ever experienced... 'please god no more'

Craftsman
    Whether the OPs dentist did or didn't make errors I guess well never know. However IMO when dealing with medical professionals I think the most important thing is do you have confidence in their judgement. If yes you will still go back if not you get my point

Quote Originally Posted by moggi1 View Post
    toothache/earache blighted my childhood two of the worst pains iv'e ever experienced... 'please god no more'
    A pal of mine suffered for years with this, into his 30's used to take co-codamol tablets like they were sweets, just got too much booked in for an all out job, now has false teeth, says it's the best call he ever made never had a problem since.