closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex Sub selling advise

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    It looks lovely on the wrist, is it the 36 model?
    Yes 36mm model.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    There's not much point in owning one if you're going to be too scared to wear it on a night out.
    Not quite so simple; I own several nice watches which I wouldn't wear in certain situations. If you're going to wander around dodgy areas at 3am on your own it makes sense not to have a flashy watch on, that's common sense.

Frankly, if I was the OP I'd either change my watch or change my social habits, seems obvious to me.

Several years ago I went on holiday to Kenya, we were advised not to wear jewellery or flashy watches......when I got there I could see why. You have to be a realist, it makes no sense to court danger or attract the wrong attention if it can be avoided, but that shouldn't stop you owning nice stuff to be worn at the right time.

Paul

If somewhere isn't safe to wear a Sub it's probably not somewhere I'd want to go anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robmellor View Post
    I usually wear 42mm +\- 2 mm I have a 7.75 inch wrist, I personally found the 14060 none date sub to small, I think due to the fact the bezel made the dial look to small.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Still missing that one!! Should have kept that puppy, looking good Rob.

I own a subC 16610 and a DJ 16234 if ( I'm correct bleu dial, white gold bezel, jubilee strap) I noticed more people react on the DJ rather then on the subC So I honestly believe DJ are easier to recognize as a potential rolex than a sub.
    So my advice keep the Sub!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by midgetda View Post
    I've got both a 36mm and 39mm Explorer. The 36mm wears noticeably smaller and you may find it too small for you after a 40mm sub. 39mm Explorer is a good suggestion above so you may want to try both on to see which works best for you if you are set on getting one.
    I have an 8 inch wrist and my daily wearer is a SD. I also have a Chinese 'lookey-likey' Alpha Explorer 1 which is 36mm size. After a short while the difference in size doesn't bother me at all - it's a bit like driving a transit van for a few days then changing to a car. At first it seems small then after a while it seems normal.

Rob

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    I have an 8 inch wrist and my daily wearer is a SD. I also have a Chinese 'lookey-likey' Alpha Explorer 1 which is 36mm size. After a short while the difference in size doesn't bother me at all - it's a bit like driving a transit van for a few days then changing to a car. At first it seems small then after a while it seems normal.

Rob
    3mm - 5mm difference is nothing when you think about it, I don't see a difference now between my BLNR at 40mm and my DSOTM at 44mm, you soon get used to it

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Not quite so simple; I own several nice watches which I wouldn't wear in certain situations. If you're going to wander around dodgy areas at 3am on your own it makes sense not to have a flashy watch on, that's common sense.

Frankly, if I was the OP I'd either change my watch or change my social habits, seems obvious to me.

Several years ago I went on holiday to Kenya, we were advised not to wear jewellery or flashy watches......when I got there I could see why. You have to be a realist, it makes no sense to court danger or attract the wrong attention if it can be avoided, but that shouldn't stop you owning nice stuff to be worn at the right time.

Paul
    It actually is not a dodgy area, it's very affluent in fact.

I collected my replacement Sub earlier, now its decision time!

I had forget how lovely the 114060, it really is stunning in person so am 99.9% convinced on keeping it.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 17th March 2017 at 21:01.

I collected my replacement Sub earlier, now its decision time!
    Have you seen the watchfinder 14060 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Have you seen the watchfinder 14060 yet?
    No not yet.

Craftsman
    Keep the SubC ND, it's the best modern Rolex imho.

If you still want a nice expensive watch but don't want to wear a Rolex you could possibly look at a Grand Seiko. Very different from a SubC but not too far off the Exp1. I appreciate this might not be the best recommendation but I am weighing up an Exp1 vs Grand Seiko's at the moment as I think my BLNR is too flash sometimes and want a more discrete 'posh watch' to alternate with.

I tried on an oyster perpetual today while at the AD 39mm model in blue, it felt nice on the wrist. I was put off by the colours around the minute markers.
    I think the new Explorer 39mm could be perfect, I just want to see one in person but the sales assistant said they are difficult to get.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 17th March 2017 at 23:17.

I think the new Explorer 39mm could be perfect, I just want to see one in person but the sales assistant said they are difficult to get.
    Generally they aren't but something is going on with SS Rolex in the UK at the moment and no one has anything!

I think/hope it will even out after Basel.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Generally they aren't but something is going on with SS Rolex in the UK at the moment and no one has anything!

I think/hope it will even out after Basel.
    I was told today I have the only Sub ND in the Aurum group, seems really odd as the assistant stated they have 40 odd stores nationwide.

Journeyman
    Keep the sub. You will miss it.

Banned
    Don't use parcel pro, you're not insured.

Journeyman
    Keep the watch pal...why go through all the hassle to chop in as you will still lose a few bob..and agree with all the points above on not letting the scum that mugged you influence how you should live your life...wear that sub with pride

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Having collected my replacement watch and thinking it over all weekend I decided I no longer felt happy wearing the Subc, its an absolutely beautiful watch but wears larger than 40mm and in my opinion just shouts Rolex to loud.

I viewed several pre owned watches, Explorer 36mm, Explorer 39mm, Datejust 36mm and a 14060M. The 36mm watches felt to small on my wrist and the Datejust was just not me. The Explorer 39mm is a nice watch but appears bigger than 39mm on the wrist, maybe this is down to the fact it has a slim bezel and a big dial.

So you have guessed it, I settled on the 14060m. I got a 2003 two line model in absolutely excellent condition, just serviced by Rolex with no stretch on the bracelet. I thought that maybe the crown guard lugs were over polished on the dealers website, in person it was obvious all lugs were in proportion and it was a trick of the camera.

I got what I feel was a really good deal on the 14060m, and sold the Subc at near retail price as part of the px. I could not be happier with the 14060m it seems to wear quite small and is very discreet and although it's not feels vintage in comparison to the Subc.

Hopefully I can now put the whole incident behind me, and move on.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 20th March 2017 at 21:05.

Great decision OP. There's plenty on here who prefer the five digit models over the six.

The 14060 is a classic and will probably be worth more than the ceramic model very soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Great decision OP. There's plenty on here who prefer the five digit models over the six.

The 14060 is a classic and will probably be worth more than the ceramic model very soon!
    It feels like the right decision.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 21st March 2017 at 06:58.

Apprentice
    Best of luck with it and well wear, good to see you able to come out of the situation with a positive outlook