closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recent Rolex service

Recent Rolex service

Has anyone had a recent service on their Sub, 16610 if being specific, from Rolex or another source?

Would it be possible for you to take a photo of the top of the lugs as it came back, preferably with the bracelet on as well.

Anyone? I didn't mean it to sound like a cryptic request!!

It's just I've had mine returned by an independent and the finish on the top of the lugs doesn't seem right but having met the man who did the work I was told - 'this is how Rolex finish them'

I just need some photos to compare mine.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by badger1 View Post
    Anyone? I didn't mean it to sound like a cryptic request!!

It's just I've had mine returned by an independent and the finish on the top of the lugs doesn't seem right but having met the man who did the work I was told - 'this is how Rolex finish them'

I just need some photos to compare mine.
    Mind posting a pic?

Master
    Just google image search recently serviced a Rolex

I don't have any photos to share, but surely a refinished watch comes back from Rolex looking like it did when it left the factory (assuming there's no serious damage to the case), so can't you compare yours to photos of new Subs on the internet?

And if you think something's not right, having presumably owned the watch for a while and knowing it pretty well, then your instinct is probably on the mark.

What is it about yours that makes you think it isn't as it should be?

I told him I wasn't happy with the finish so he's taken it back to try and 'fix it', so I don't have any photos.

The lugs had a rough finish to them. Initially I assumed that he'd forgotten to refinish but as I said he said that's how Rolex want it finished.

Im hopefully picking it up tomorrow.

Is it fair to say the finish of the lugs should match near enough the finish on the bracelet?

Think the brushing on the lugs is quite coarse compared to the bracelet, certainly was on mine when it came back from Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Think the brushing on the lugs is quite coarse compared to the bracelet, certainly was on mine when it came back from Rolex.
    Thanks Neil, that seems to be the issue. Would you be able to photograph yours?

Pete

I'd have expected the finish on the lugs and bracelet to be near identical (like it is on my Explorer). Interesting if it isn't.

Product shot:

Master
    I told him I wasn't happy with the finish so he's taken it back to try and 'fix it', so I don't have any photos.

The lugs had a rough finish to them. Initially I assumed that he'd forgotten to refinish but as I said he said that's how Rolex want it finished.

Is it fair to say the finish of the lugs should match near enough the finish on the bracelet?
    Cut your losses and get someone who knows what they're doing to fix it.

There is some truth in the lugs being sort of coarser than the body, see the effect on my Exp II 16750 (similar vintage to the 16610), it looks worse in this photo than it does in real life (the watch is still as new)(nevermind the leather strap that was a passing phase from a few years ago)...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I'd have expected the finish on the lugs and bracelet to be near identical (like it is on my Explorer). Interesting if it isn't.

Product shot:

The newer watches have different brushing, along with no chamfer. There are plenty of pictures around of unpolished 5 and 6 digit references.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Cut your losses and get someone who knows what they're doing to fix it.
    The person I've used is extremely well thought and highly recommended here and other places.

You may or may not see it as particularly relevant but this photo shows to relative coarseness of the brushed lugs on my 1680.

They were done during service by a well-known and well-regarded Rolex accredited chap.

They are different on the lugs here's mine
    [IMG][/IMG]

The newer watches have different brushing, along with no chamfer. There are plenty of pictures around of unpolished 5 and 6 digit references.
    I see, thanks for the explanation. :)

Master
    The person I've used is extremely well thought and highly recommended here and other places.
    Then why can't he properly refinish lugs on a Rolex?

Well that's the crux of the 'issue' he says that's how Rolex want him to finish them.

Grand Master

The finish on the top of the lugs appears slightly coarser than the bracelet. That's' s partly due to the different techniques used to apply them. If the refinishing was done by a Rolex accredited guy it should be pretty close to the original, it isn't particularly hard to do and tgese guys are doing it day in day out. If you want it to look slightly softer that's not hard to do.

Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    You may or may not see it as particularly relevant but this photo shows to relative coarseness of the brushed lugs on my 1680.

They were done during service by a well-known and well-regarded Rolex accredited chap.

That's a great looking 1680 you have Tony

Thanks Paul, that's what he has said he's going to do, make it softer.

Grand Master
    Then why can't he properly refinish lugs on a Rolex?
    I don't think it's been proven that he hasn't.

Possibly the OP was expecting them to look slightly different.

I can do them to a good standard, to the naked eye they look exactly like Rolex did them originally, it isn't particularly difficult. However, look under a very strong magnifier and you'll see slight differences, but that applies to all brushed/grained finishes.

Paul

Grand Master
    Thanks Paul, that's what he has said he's going to do, make it softer.
    Personally I'd leave it as he's done it. The coarser finish wears better! Grained finishes eventually start to look shiny as the graining picks up scratches and wears, it loses the matt finish and the contrast with the polished areas diminishes. The heavier the graining the better it lasts. It's important to get a consistent finish when doing this work, you can't simply do one lug or it'll stand out..... a bit like repainting cars.

I don't work on Rolexes other than my own, but I've refinished a few Sub and Explorer 1 homages. I also picked up a few tips from a well-regarded Rolex guy........trade secrets!

I refinished my Datejust recently because the numpty who swapped the dial in the distant past marked the case. It's all too easy to take too much metal off, particularly on the smaller cases where the ends of the lugs are quite thin. Maybe that's why Rolex have opted for the fatter lug designs.........more metal to go at!

Paul

Thanks Neil, that seems to be the issue. Would you be able to photograph yours?

Pete

not the best angle to see, but they are defo coarser than the bracelet and in a radial manner around the dial almost, fresh back from Rolex themselves. I did think it looked odd at the time but checking around and the pics posted here show it as correct.

I remember when I received my first Rolex, a 16570 Explorer II, and I was surprised at the lug finish. I was expecting some kind of exquisitely hand-buffed-with-unicorn-hide effect, but it was more like a cat's tongue.

I went 'exploring' the web to find out if I'd bought a wrong 'un but it quickly became apparent that this was the correct Rolex finish for the era. My 14060M has similar brushing on the lugs. Both bracelets have a much smoother brushed finish.

If that's how your 16610 was finished then I would suggest your indy was correct. Maybe yours had been buffed wrong before you bought it?

Craftsman
    Here's my 16600 sea dweller which was serviced at Rolex a month or so ago. If you need any more pics let me know.

Craftsman
    Just dug out my 16710 and that has the same kind of finish

Here's my ceramic sub which is smoother and the grain seems to run vertically rather than at an angle as on the 5 digit models.

Quote Originally Posted by Coronet king View Post
    That's a great looking 1680 you have Tony
    Thanks. I love it. I'm going through a period when I'm not wearing anything else at the moment.

I'm finding that if I wear it 24 hours a day it's losing about half a second a day, too - not bad for a watch that's forty next year.

Thanks everyone for all the input. I have just picked up I the watch and all is good. The finish is softer than before and more matches the bracelet. Very difficult to photograph but I'm happy.

Thanks once again

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone for all the input. I have just picked up I the watch and all is good. The finish is softer than before and more matches the bracelet. Very difficult to photograph but I'm happy.

Thanks once again
    Glad you are happy with it now, you can buy a clip on macro lens for your phone for about £2 from ebay, they work pretty well for the money.

Here are some photos of the returned watch. I wish I'd taken some before photos but there you go. I'm happy

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyhayward View Post

[/URL]
    I've seen this on other serviced Submariners, the chamfered edges are more obvious than the original cases.

While we're on the subject of servicing, do you get the dial, hands and bezel insert back if replaced at service?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    While we're on the subject of servicing, do you get the dial, hands and bezel insert back if replaced at service?
    Not from Rolex you don't they keep all items.

Grand Master
    Not from Rolex you don't they keep all items.
    I have to agree with Rolex on this point; if owners got the parts returned they'd be getting sold on eBay. I`m seeing it happen with Omega stuff.However, it does seem ironic that perfectly good handsets are being replaced; it's very rare they get damaged when being removed and I see no reason why Rolex and Omega see fit to replace things like tis as a matter of course.

Paul

Recent Rolex service

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I have to agree with Rolex on this point; if owners got the parts returned they'd be getting sold on eBay. I`m seeing it happen with Omega stuff.However, it does seem ironic that perfectly good handsets are being replaced; it's very rare they get damaged when being removed and I see no reason why Rolex and Omega see fit to replace things like tis as a matter of course.

Paul
    Surely all original parts of the watch belong to the owner, to do with what they wish, and should be returned if requested, or as a matter of course?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pinpull View Post
    Surely all original parts of the watch belong to the owner, to do with what they wish, and should be returned if requested, or as a matter of course?

They get round that by supplying on an exchange only basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    They get round that by supplying on an exchange only basis.
    Well, that's never been explained to me by Rolex, prior to me handing over my Sub for service on several occasions.

I'm not overly fussed about getting parts back, and I see what you're saying, but I would like the option, particularly as I feel I'm paying for the new parts as part of the high cost of the service.

Well, that's never been explained to me by Rolex, prior to me handing over my Sub for service on several occasions.

I'm not overly fussed about getting parts back, and I see what you're saying, but I would like the option, particularly as I feel I'm paying for the new parts as part of the high cost of the service.

Your high cost of the service would suddenly become much much higher.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post

Product shot:

You can't really compare this sort of photo with a 'real' photo - these are normally a heavily edited composite of many different photos.

I'd the option too, lume on my tritium dial, hands and bezel pip is yellowing and will probably be more sought after than fresh white service replacements. I personally prefer would prefer the white luminova dial and hands but would like the old ones too.

Craftsman
    Here's my 16600 sea dweller which was serviced at Rolex a month or so ago. If you need any more pics let me know.

Those are pretty big chamfers. My 16600, I bought new and still unpolished, has much sibtile chamfers.

The top of the lugs have the same rough finish as in the photo. Completely different than a 6 digit Subs.

Craftsman

It was made clear to me when I handed my watch over to one of the women on reception and again in the PDF from them that I had to sign to approve the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk