closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The motivation weight loss thread

Don't know if this is useful, but I just remembered it.

I've always had trouble getting from breakfast to lunch and from lunch to dinner without feeling very hungry, painfully so. I happened to be seeing an endocrinologist about something else, and mentioned this. He said it was a common thing and advised me to replace some of the carbs with fat and protein, so that I don't crash a couple of hours after a meal.

I tried adding full fat Greek yoghurt to breakfast and an egg to lunch, decreasing the amount of carbs to balance, and now I need to refuel between meals much more rarely. I notice that I have more of a sensation of being full at the end of a meal, too.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 8th March 2017 at 14:08. Reason: typo

Master
    Has any taken on a keto based diet?

I tried it for a week and it does leave you feeling fuller.

Idea behind it is with low carbs in your body your body uses fat stores for energy and hence promotes fat loss.

Don't know how true it is.

Calorie deficit always works for me

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Has any taken on a keto based diet?

I tried it for a week and it does leave you feeling fuller.

Idea behind it is with low carbs in your body your body uses fat stores for energy and hence promotes fat loss.

Don't know how true it is.

Calorie deficit always works for me

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Yes, I've used keto based diet before, along with competing friends - they work, provided you are on a deficit - otherwise, they don't work - simple as that.
    It's just a matter of time...

Just remember the survival tips, 3 mins without air, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food. Going from breakfast to lunch without snaking in between is not a true indication of hunger - it's a third world problem!

Huel can be a good weight control tool as you simply calculate the calories you need/want weigh out the correct amount and that is your day's "food".

It is pretty bland even in vanilla flavour but it is nutritionally complete so I find it perfect for breakfast & lunch then have a healthy dinner. It certainly isnt for everyone but is so easy to prepare is a great timesave and far better than a snack lunch or sandwich from the shop.

https://huel.com/

You could easily lose weight healthily on it and control the loss via calorie intake precisley I expect.

Blog Entries
    I have been 12st 7lbs for about 3 years. Now three pounds more and its annoying me. I am a gym regular but bored with running. I need to cut down on the beer and crisps but finding it difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    I need to cut down on the beer and crisps but finding it difficult.
    Stop putting them in your mouth ;)

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    I have been 12st 7lbs for about 3 years. Now three pounds more and its annoying me. I am a gym regular but bored with running. I need to cut down on the beer and crisps but finding it difficult.
    Clear them out from cupboard/fridge and don't buy them.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post
    Clear them out from cupboard/fridge and don't buy them.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    My wife stores 'bad' things such as Kit Kats in the garage so you have to go out in the cold to get them. This cuts down the incidence of random chocolate eating whilst visiting the kitchen.

Master
    I think we could form a support group here! I'm just in the "overweight" category. BMI 24.4. 3 years ago lost 9 Kg through dieting and illness! Honestly, never felt better. Over the last 3 years gradually gained it all back. I make sure I have a low carb medium protein breakfast and a (very) large salad with fruits for lunch, dinner, standard indian! I find I lose a kilo a week. It should be easy but my lack of will power and love of food comes in the way!
    Determined to lose a stone my end of April. Let us all motivate and help each other and see how we get on. Yes We Can!

Master
    Weigh in day today as it's my official two weeks (when I started the thread it was actually 11 days not two weeks).

2 weeks = 1 stone loss exactly

Realise this just happens at the beginning, but very pleased with the start.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I am no expert but.....

Obviously any exercise is good for you, and some will burn calories faster than others.
    For me personally I prefer to walk in the country or coast, rather than be stuck inside a gym. Walking is also relatively gentle on your body and joints. Also easy to have a natter with anyone else who walks with you, so a social exercise too.

It is the only form of exercise that I used to lose just over 4 Stone, with also less and healthier food being consumed.
    I agree fully; two things I stand by, One is that I am a firm believer in the best form of exercise is the exercise you enjoy most; otherwise you won't stick with it. Yes running may burn 1000 calories per hour whereas walking may take 2.5 hours to burn the same calories, but if you enjoy a walk, go for a walk.

The second bit of advice is; you can never outrun your fork. Again to put that into some context, you can woof down 1000 calories at the drive through in around 5-10 minutes, you'll never burn it off in the same amount of time.

Coincidentally 1 lb of fat loss equates to around 3500 calories burnt.

I guess the morale is find a sport/healthy activity you enjoy and use restraint and mindfulness to what you consume and you cannot go too far wrong.

Keep on keeping on :-)

Yumma

Master
    I've lost eight pounds in a month by cutting out my comfort snacks between meals and reducing the size of said meals. One needs some motivation - in my case a recent heart attack provided the impetus.

Just back from my second (or ten) personal trainer sessions.

Loving these at the moment - definitely pushing me more than I'd push myself. For example if I was going out to the gym or on a ride, there's no way I would have gone today as at 11:45 (my session was booked for 12) I really couldn't be bothered.

I've a long way to go and need to make sure I don't overdo it but I'm getting back into the swing of things.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I agree fully; two things I stand by, One is that I am a firm believer in the best form of exercise is the exercise you enjoy most; otherwise you won't stick with it. Yes running may burn 1000 calories per hour whereas walking may take 2.5 hours to burn the same calories, but if you enjoy a walk, go for a walk.
    Like the comment above re: running v walking - must be honest I'd say I'd enjoy walking more than running and hadn't looked at it the way you put it before - makes sense.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Stop putting them in your mouth ;)
    Ha ha. Thats in the too hard category.

I hit 16 stone in 1990.I had a 38" waist and had to wear extra large clothing.I am only 5 10" so I was really over weight.A new diet helped me and for me "Atkins" and diet drinks helped me shed 4 stone in 6 months and went down to a 34" waist until 2015.

I then went through a marriage break up (Not a recommendation") and I am now 11 stone and have a 32" waist and wear medium size clothes.I eat pretty much what I like but my job means that I walk about 11 miles a day so I guess I am burning access calories off naturally.

On a different note this is one of my best mates.The last 18 months have seen him achieve this.

Religious use of the gym and the right diet.

Having his hair cut helped a little.
    Last edited by itsgotournameonit; 9th March 2017 at 23:40. Reason: Hair quote.

My experience is that food intake is more important than exercise for losing weight, but exercise is critical in determining you lose the right weight. Losing weight is relatively simple by creating a calorie deficit, and practically any diet will do that. But if you neglect protein or don't do resistance work while losing weight, much of what you lose will be lean tissue. You become a skinny fat man Observe most runners and cyclists. They don't look good.

Not only is this aesthetically disappointing, but you set yourself up for a bodyweight rebound, since muscle burns more energy than fat and you now have less of it. Here's my twopenneth...

1. Don't get hung upon this diet or that diet. Just eat healthy stuff you enjoy with the aim of creating a calorie deficit. Think about everything you put in your mouth. Don't absentmindedly eat anything.
    2. Get plenty of protein
    3. Prioritise resistance work at least 3 times a week. Not only will it help maintain and build, lean tissue, but it will also continue to burn calories after your exercise session. Cardio work doesn't do this.
    4. Walk, cycle, row or run on other days where you can find time. Don't worry which. It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Weigh in day today as it's my official two weeks (when I started the thread it was actually 11 days not two weeks).

Keep up the excellent work.
    Steady and slower loss from now on will be a great achievement As Nike say, Just Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    My experience is that food intake is more important than exercise for losing weight, but exercise is critical in determining you lose the right weight. Losing weight is relatively simple by creating a calorie deficit, and practically any diet will do that. But if you neglect protein or don't do resistance work while losing weight, much of what you lose will be lean tissue. You become a skinny fat man Observe most runners and cyclists. They don't look good.

Not only is this aesthetically disappointing, but you set yourself up for a bodyweight rebound, since muscle burns more energy than fat and you now have less of it. Here's my twopenneth...

1. Don't get hung upon this diet or that diet. Just eat healthy stuff you enjoy with the aim of creating a calorie deficit. Think about everything you put in your mouth. Don't absentmindedly eat anything.
    2. Get plenty of protein
    3. Prioritise resistance work at least 3 times a week. Not only will it help maintain and build, lean tissue, but it will also continue to burn calories after your exercise session. Cardio work doesn't do this.
    4. Walk, cycle, row or run on other days where you can find time. Don't worry which. It's all good.
    A great summary!

It really is about starting some new habits, and getting the basics right first.

1) Eat three square and nothing inbetween
    2) Don't have snacks in the house
    3) Sell you car and walk everywhere.

Master

Well done sir - excellent to see. Thanks for starting the thread.

Key for me has always been to do something you enjoy for your exercise. I play squash to a decent standard and absolutely love it, but had to give it up during the 5 years I commuted in and out of London. During that period I tried to go to the gym, but hated every minute of it so found any excuse to avoid it. Obviously I got slowly chubbier and chubbier.

Thankfully I no longer commute and have been able to play regular squash again, alongside a couple of rounds of golf a week and lots of walking inbetween. My weight is slowly returning to nearer what it should be, but 5 years of that dreadful commuter living certainly takes time to repair!

I would be back to where I was FAR quicker if I was able to give up the couple of pints after a hard squash match, but I just can't do it!

The wife's mother had a weight problem, they finally traced the issue to her feet........

She couldn't keep them out of the bakers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    1) Eat three square and nothing inbetween
    2) Don't have snacks in the house
    Sell the car ! Then risk getting run over.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I'm heading to Manchester from Glasgow on Sunday, so that should burn a few calories if I walk. 👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    I'm heading to Manchester from Glasgow on Sunday, so that should burn a few calories if I walk. 
    See you in June then

Master
    See you in June then
    I'll be like Eddie Izzard doing all those back to back marathons 😉

Master
    Just back from a 6k run, and the wife had bought me a caramel square whilst I was away.

I'm scared to look it up, but I'd say the caramel square more than cancelled out the good from the run.

Ah well..

I use the myfitnesspal app to log everything I eat and I'm on a 1500 calorie per day (net) intake at the moment. Half an hour of resistance exercise each morning which equates to reps of squats, push ups, sit ups, left and right leg extensions (100 of each), then 100 bicep curls (each arm) and 20 arm raises with weights to finish. In the evening Monday to Friday I do 45 minutes on the rowing machine. I've been doing this since June 1st last year and the reason for changing my habits is I went from quite an active job to one that involves sitting on my arse most of the day, after a year of it I was feeling lethargic and had piled a stone on in weight. The weights back off again and I've actually got quite good muscle definition now, more importantly I have bags of energy and don't feel lethargic anymore. Out of all of that the one thing I can recommend unreservedly is the Myfitnesspal app, if you're honest with your data and stick to the guidelines the weight will drop off if that's what you're after.

I've lost two stone since Christmas, down from 17 stone to 15. I bought a Fitbit, and try to do at least 12K steps a day, which normally requires an hour's walk in the evening to finish. I've cut out all the crap like Chinese takeaways and chocolate, and only have the odd drink. I'm eating much better, and am sticking to low carb stuff, without cutting them out altogether. I'm 6'1", so another half a stone, and I'll be at a happy weight that I can maintain.

My girlfriend had her BP checked in January and it was worryingly high, they gave her the chance of losing some weight before meds and gave her free slimming world membership for 12 weeks to see how she goes

She was worried about going alone and as I have always been 'large' i agreed to go with her for morale support, I am 6'2" and weighed 16st8 at xmas, I have got down to 14st10 this morning and she has lost a stone and BP is now fine

I may get ridiculed for admitting slimming world but the main driver (for me) is being weighed every week, it really does focus your mind and being competitive by nature it works well

My girlfriend is looking at holiday brochures at the moment so she must feel better and we have changed what we eat completely, there is no rocket science to SW but it simply works if you are disciplined

Well done to all on here that have/are losing weight, I have battled my whole life with my weight after being bullied at school for years and making me very self conscious, it is not easy

I hope you all hit your targets and enjoy wearing your budgie smugglers in the summer (no pics please)

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I may get ridiculed for admitting slimming world but the main driver (for me) is being weighed every week, it really does focus your mind and being competitive by nature it works well
    Why would you get ridiculed? Its a tried and tested successful method. I lost 4st on SW a number of years back although sadly when I tried again a few years later I couldn't get it working for me.

Well done on your fantastic loss (both of you)

Blog Entries
    My girlfriend had her BP checked in January and it was worryingly high, they gave her the chance of losing some weight before meds and gave her free slimming world membership for 12 weeks to see how she goes

She was worried about going alone and as I have always been 'large' i agreed to go with her for morale support, I am 6'2" and weighed 16st8 at xmas, I have got down to 14st10 this morning and she has lost a stone and BP is now fine

My girlfriend is looking at holiday brochures at the moment so she must feel better and we have changed what we eat completely, there is no rocket science to SW but it simply works if you are disciplined

Well done to all on here that have/are losing weight, I have battled my whole life with my weight after being bullied at school for years and making me very self conscious, it is not easy

I hope you all hit your targets and enjoy wearing your budgie smugglers in the summer (no pics please)
    Well done to you both ! anything that works and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by
    [URL="http://s956.photobucket.com/user/WHERRY/media/image_zpskg6t3n6h.jpeg.html"
    [/URL]
    Must have been a tough ask being a hairy biker and being on cooking shows all day

I think the replies in this thread demonstrate a fundamental point - anyone can lose weight and there are many different ways to do it. But very few people can manage to keep it off. The dieting industry is geared up to weight loss because that's where the money is, but maintenance isn't nearly so sexy or interesting, and so nobody wants to pay for that. Weight loss without a plan in place to keep it off is actually counterproductive, which is why most of us end up heavier than before after coming off a diet. So for everyone losing weight, that's great, but don't think 'job done'. It's never done!

On that depressing note...

Master
    My mate has benn doing SW for 2 1/2 years and maintaining for 1 1/2 years in that time and still goes to the weigh in as it keeps him on track and motivated.

We'll done by the weigh, hopefully I'll see that success soon. Finding SW very doable so far.

There's been some great successes on this thread, it's very motivating indeed :-)

Feeling awful

I just cannot believe how I have again "ballooned"

Positive that if I eat gluten free I bloat less

The ballooning makes me look seriously preggers

I have a job that is desk bound
    Am stressed to f so don't want to go out after work

Am at my desk for 7

Maybe I should try Atkins again
    It was good a few years ago

I need to see rapid results - - I know - mug comment

But my trousers are cutting into my waist and I have war woulda when I take off my clothing

Monday is d day
    Lord I'm going to try

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    I just cannot believe how I have again "ballooned"

Positive that if I eat gluten free I bloat less

The ballooning makes me look seriously preggers

I have a job that is desk bound
    Am stressed to f so don't want to go out after work

Am at my desk for 7

Maybe I should try Atkins again
    It was good a few years ago

I need to see rapid results - - I know - mug comment

But my trousers are cutting into my waist and I have war woulda when I take off my clothing

Monday is d day
    Lord I'm going to try
    Sounds a bit like me.

I'm 2 1/2 weeks in now and feel 10 times better than I did, but 2 1/2 weeks ago I felt totally cr@p - unhealthy, stressed, tired but couldn't sleep and generally extremely lethargic.

Just take it one day at a time. Get through tomorrow and Tuesday morning you'll feel a tiny bit better, come Wednesday morning better again. In no time you'll have done a week.

We've all been here before so know how to do it, it's just taking that first step.

Good luck and let us know gow you get on :-)

Sounds a bit like me.

I'm 2 1/2 weeks in now and feel 10 times better than I did, but 2 1/2 weeks ago I felt totally cr@p - unhealthy, stressed, tired but couldn't sleep and generally extremely lethargic.

Just take it one day at a time. Get through tomorrow and Tuesday morning you'll feel a tiny bit better, come Wednesday morning better again. In no time you'll have done a week.

We've all been here before so know how to do it, it's just taking that first step.

Good luck and let us know gow you get on :-)
    Are you doing Atkins?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Are you doing Atkins?
    No slimming world, but I did Atkins 10 years ago.

Master
    Weigh in days - only 2lbs this week, but I'll take that. 16lbs down in 3 weeks

Weigh in days - only 2lbs this week, but I'll take that. 16lbs down in 3 weeks
    Brilliant stuff. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I think the replies in this thread demonstrate a fundamental point - anyone can lose weight and there are many different ways to do it. But very few people can manage to keep it off. The dieting industry is geared up to weight loss because that's where the money is, but maintenance isn't nearly so sexy or interesting, and so nobody wants to pay for that. Weight loss without a plan in place to keep it off is actually counterproductive, which is why most of us end up heavier than before after coming off a diet. So for everyone losing weight, that's great, but don't think 'job done'. It's never done!

On that depressing note...
    Totally agree, anyone can lose weight.

As for putting the weight back on, there is a simple solution....
    Do not diet, change your lifestyle.
    Then when you reach your goal, you just carry on as (what is now) normal.

I have very little willpower with food. I'm diabetic with sleep apnoea. Part of the problem is my OCD medication has made me gain weight. But the vast majority of the problem is me. I am slothful and lazy. When I diet I don't exercise and when I exercise I don't diet. I know what to do as used to weight train for many years, but really have inertia to do it. I was 5' 10.5" and 12 stone approximately. Now I'm just under 5' 10 probably 5' 9.75" and about 18 stone. I have bad varicose veins on my right calf area. By the way it may come across as I'm feeling sorry for myself, but it's more like, I just don't care anymore.

Well I'm back down to 103kg, but it's St Patrick's this weekend, so... :)

About to take some time out, but I'll be back in the gym in May, and with a few tweaks Im hopeful of seeing my abs back before the end of the summer - fingers crossed.

Master
    I’m 1.86m and since my teens my weight has stayed very roughly around the 80kg mark. About 6 years ago or so, due to a period of unhealthy eating and drinking and less exercise than usual, I gradually got up to about 95kg. Being quite tall, it wasn’t really externally very obvious. However, I didn’t like it and decided to lose it.

I dd it simply by way of counting calories - all I did to begin with was to obsessively log everything I ate or drank using Myfitnesspal. That was a real eye opener - the first realisation was that any kind of bought, pre-prepared food is likely to contain huge amounts of fat and sugar in comparison to what you would produce yourself. Almost all take away food of any kind is likely to be loaded with fat, sugar and salt. That almond croissant from Pret that you can eat in a minute or so? Colossal calorie content.

A proper awareness of the energy content of what I was eating was really all I needed. I set a target in MFP to lose 0.5kg a week, recorded everything, completely changed my eating habits, and fairly easily got back down to about 83kg or so, which I was happy with.

Fast forward to Jan this year. Weight was about 86kg - and I was starting to think it might be time for some modifications to the diet. Then I developed cholecystitis (due to have surgery soon - in fact I was initially booked for surgery yesterday but a further scan has indicated that things are potentially slightly more complicated). That, and the IV antibiotics that I had to treat it, led to a rapid 7kg loss. Leaving other issues aside, I realised that not only was I happier at 79kg but that i could probably usefully lose a few more kg. I suspect that I had quite a lot of intraabdominal fat.

I then started using MFP again - not for weight loss as such this time, but to help me maintain the recommended low fat diet. I have cut out red meat, eggs, dairy except for skimmed milk, cakes(!), chocolate(!), and completely avoided eating from the canteen at work. I have stayed at around 78kg, with a calorie intake of about 2000 per day. My problem has been getting enough good quality protein in - not that easy with no red meat or dairy. I haven’t had to do much else apart from avoiding certain foods. It’s taking time to adapt - I consider myself to be making a long term change rather than being on a diet.

I’m rambling a bit - my point is that it is essential, in my opinion, to accurately record the calorie content of everything that you take in - down to a few grapes or that drop of milk in a coffee. And Myfitnesspal works very well indeed, particularly considering that it is free (there is a paid version of the app but the free one is fine. I tend to use the web version).

Added bonus: my cholesterol a year ago was 4.9 in total, with quite a poor ratio of good / bad. After 2 months of a low fat diet, my total cholesterol last week was 3.2, with a perfect ratio.

Good luck to you all. Avoid snacks at all costs - it takes a while to learn how to distribute your intake to avoid hunger pangs.

2lb loss a week should be the target, - much more than that and you're losing water and muscle, - plus the more likely you are to end up with saggy skin, and, to just put it all back on again.

Slow and stead wins the race. And personally I think it's preferable to maintain or gain good body composition.

I have seen people who have lost a ridiculous amount of weight in a short amount of time on these silly milk shake diets, - they look awful, - like a melted ice cream, - no shape at all, - and inevitably, - soon after, the weight goes back on again..

Down to 18st6 this morning, from 19st11 on January 1st. Hoping to get down to ~16 for my wedding in September, even though I already have the outfit bought I expect most of the weight to be belly related so jacket chest size and waist should be similar hopefully!

This is me as of today. Started tracking things properly on the 18th Feb.
    The forward date projections are possible targets, (I was really just playing about), and I'll try not to get too fixated on achieving them.
    Ideally, I'd like to get my BMI under control and to a healthy level, (I'm 1m 85cm). I had a big work related life change in 2016 and ditched a well paid but extremely stressful job for self employment. I'm orders of magnitude happier now and over 2016 I lost about 4st. I didn't really bother tracking it, which was a shame with hindsight as the graph would have made interesting/motivational viewing - but the main thing I suppose is that it has occurred. I decided to stop drinking alcohol - it wasn't doing me any good and I was beginning to get far too fond of it. I've also stopped eating cake/biscuits/crisps and other misc cr@p like that as well as being conscious of carbs, particularly bread and pasta. I found I went through a "withdrawal" process with the sweet things, but am now content with a sweet hit from a tangerine/apple or similar. I'm enjoying feeling healthier and less weighty - I'll come back and report progress in another month.

[IMG][/IMG]

Ive had a real off week. I thought I'd done my Achilles last week but I think it may be a bloody gout attack so in a lot of pain and not been able to exercise save for my planned PT session.

I need a real kick though I really do.

Craftsman
    I'm 35, 6ft and 102kg. Just got diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last week so I am having a total change to my diet and excercising. Doctor basically said no carbs or sugar for the rest of my life.. major bummer :(