closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The motivation weight loss thread

Master
    I don’t weigh myself regularly, once a month, or every other month. Checked last week, down 2 stone 5lb since last summer. Around 11lb to go. Slow and steady wins the day.
    No silly diet for me just tried to maintain calorie deficit every day.
    I changed my exercise to more resistance work (kettlebells), less cardio (spin class twice a week), and took up yoga, which is beneficial in so many ways I wish I’d found it 20 years ago!

Grand Master
    This thread should be titled the Motivation Fat Loss Thread, youre all trying to lose fat not weight, the scales will only give you a gravity reading
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    This thread should be titled the Motivation Fat Loss Thread, youre all trying to lose fat not weight, the scales will only give you a gravity reading
    Hence why I don’t weigh myself much. Fit of my clothes and how I look in the mirror count more than what the scales say.
    When others start to notice your body shape changing you know it’s working. I’ve had two polite compliments recently. One from my wife’s friend!

Master
    Fair enough: dropped 10% body fat and gone from 28% to 18%.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markstone View Post
    Actually the only thing that we all have to know is:
    Harvard's Healthy Eating Plate

All these diets - you just don't need them.

You know thats a diet plan right , filled with issues

Dieting is simple , they all work provided they stick to the simple method of consuming less calories than you expend

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Has to be low carb so gin and diet tonic, Prosecco, Champagne etc. Obviously no beer as that's basically liquid bread
    Alcohol should be avoided on the ketogenic diet

1) Its full of calories

2) Your body will burn alcohol before fat

3) Less carbs in your body means the effect is increased, drunk people make poor food choices

4) It can cause blood glucose levels to fall to dangerous levels

5) It inhibits gluconeogenesis meaning your brain has no ketones to use for fuel

If you want to drink then come off the diet for a couple of days, I'm not saying then one gin and tonic is dangerous but its either compatible with the diet or its not.

I think the need to start a new thread " weight gain motivational thread"
    I'm under weight and struggle to put any on!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post

Dieting is simple , they all work provided they stick to the simple method of consuming less calories than you expend

Dieting is temporary, what the picture shows is a lifestyle, diets tend to fail because they require too much willpower, due to people changing their intake to foods they don't enjoy as much, if you follow what is in that poster and find things you enjoy to replace the unhealthy items you have for good.

Master
    I had a weight loss target that was set for yesterday, 8th March. After several false starts, I managed to convince myself near the end of Jan that I needed to get a move on.

28th Jan was my start point after suffering a rotor cuff injury that put me out until early Jan.

I started at 106.5kg and my aim in 6 weeks was to get to 99.9kg because it would mean a move from triple figure weight to double figure weight. Call it psychological, I don't know, but that was my aim.

Glad to say as of yesterday my weight was 99.8kg, and my lifts haven't suffered (admittedly they are not as good as when I was near to 110kg late last year, before my injury).

As a side note in June 2018 before any gym (hadn't done anything for years) my body fat was 29%, yesterday it was measured at 22.4%. still at fatty but moving in the right direction.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Well, I’ve just lost 8lbs in 3 days with the viral gastro- enteritis diet. Effective but not nice.

Master
    Did another scan at the gym today. Very pleased with the continued improvement since I changed my diet slightly (just made one meal healthy, everything else stays naughty) and increased exercise (added one long run to the two short ones I was doing already per week and a little bit increase in intensity of my 2 gym workouts weekly).

Grand Master

This is 3 months work. Aiming for 16 Stone and 10%BF. The 10% is easy gaining another 7lb is the tough part.

Unbelievably bored of eating
    Last edited by 100thmonkey; 9th March 2019 at 22:41.
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Good going, i'm struggling to go up to be honest, i try to eat some high calorie stuff like natural peanut butter and so on, but it all gets undone if i do too much in terms of mountain biking and the gym, weights not moved in a month even though i've gone up 500-750 calories a day.

Master

Agree 100%. Managed to lose the weight I needed to without missing out on any thing I like - including curry and drinkies over the weekend.
    Since my last post in Jan weight has been steady (not good) 65 Kgs. Winter months make salad a bit of a pain to eat. Still struggling to got to the gym.
    Will need to motivate myself to start - at least try for both days of the weekend. Work has been kind of busy so by the time I'm home have no energy to even think about going to the gym. My short term goal (1 month) is to get below 64 Kgs again. Not managed to lose the Xmas excess till now!

This thread has been a positive influence on keeping me motivated to go on. I started my weight loss journey Late 2016 at 71 Kgs, at my best I was 62 Kgs. Till end of summer weight fluctuated between 63 and 64.5. Xmas trip to Dubai was the downfall, returned after a 10 day holiday weighing 66 Kgs! Current weight this AM 65.5. I know I'll get there!

I'll be eternally grateful if someone can come up with an idea that'll make me haul my backside to the gym!

Latest update. So I started on the Ketogenic on the 4th of Jan weighing in at a hefty 133.4kgs and 181cms (6 foot) height. I've stuck to the Keto diet since (have allowed myself prosecco and Gin and slimline tonic occasionally) and bar one mistake where I mistakenly thought Fruitella sugar free gums were keto friendly (they weren't, they were packed full of maltilol which is actually worse for blood sugar levels than actual sugar, plus made me shart like somebody who'd just eaten chicken sashimi) have seen the weight consistently come off. This morning I weighed in at 117.6 kgs. The 10 week anniversary of me starting the diet will be this Friday and assuming I lose no more weight by then I will have lost 16 kgs (or an average of 1.6kgs per week) on this diet. I've found it super easy to stick to, feel full of energy and hardly any cravings (other than the fact I could murder a pack of Haribo I really could). My starting weight was in the plus 40 BMI range or morbid obesity. Once I shed a couple more kilos (which at current rate will be in the next couple of weeks) I will be at obesity stage 1 (which is borderline 'normal' in today's real world). Aim is to get down to 98kgs which on current pacing will take another few months.

I've not been to the gym even once yet have maintained my muscle mass (eating lots of protein is a must). Also your biggest friend is water and plenty of it.

I cannot speak highly enough of this diet
    Last edited by ryanb741; 13th March 2019 at 12:00.

Master
    Latest update. So I started on the Ketogenic on the 4th of Jan weighing in at a hefty 133.4kgs and 181cms (6 foot) height. I've stuck to the Keto diet since (have allowed myself prosecco and Gin and slimline tonic occasionally) and bar one mistake where I mistakenly thought Fruitella sugar free gums were keto friendly (they weren't, they were packed full of maltilol which is actually worse for blood sugar levels than actual sugar, plus made me shart like somebody who'd just eaten chicken sashimi) have seen the weight consistently come off. This morning I weighed in at 117.6 kgs. The 10 week anniversary of me starting the diet will be this Friday and assuming I lose no more weight by then I will have lost 16 kgs (or an average of 1.6kgs per week) on this diet. I've found it super easy to stick to, feel full of energy and hardly any cravings (other than the fact I could murder a pack of Haribo I really could). My starting weight was in the plus 40 BMI range or morbid obesity. Once I shed a couple more kilos (which at current rate will be in the next couple of weeks) I will be at obesity stage 1 (which is borderline 'normal' in today's real world). Aim is to get down to 98kgs which on current pacing will take another few months.

I've not been to the gym even once yet have maintained my muscle mass (eating lots of protein is a must). Also your biggest friend is water and plenty of it.

Awesome results, although you must be eating less calories than your basal rate for you to lose weight, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Awesome results, although you must be eating less calories than your basal rate for you to lose weight, right?

Correct and my body is using body fat for the delta so I'm never hungry.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Correct and my body is using body fat for the delta so I'm never hungry.

That's my problem, I love food! At work I can control my eating as I'm busy. At home it's like I'm having my last meal!

Master
    That's my problem, I love food! At work I can control my eating as I'm busy. At home it's like I'm having my last meal!
    Same here. This is why the only meal I have changed is lunch, even though I’m aware that making my dinner healthier would be more effective and speed up the process even further. At least I am able to sustain a slightly improved diet. Been nearly 6 months now ... never lasted longer than 2 months in the past. I am not missing out on the things I love to eat. Btw in my case increased exercise is also a factor and I am not relying on diet only.

That is a brilliant result Ryan, well done. Can I ask what Keto diet you are following? My wife occasionally does some type of keto diet where she buys various dehydrated foods and eats them almost exclusivley. It doesnt look too appealing to me!

The time has about come for me to loose 7-10kgs but I dont want to reduce my exercise pattern, that makes me wary of any diet that might begin to weaken strong exercise habits.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    That is a brilliant result Ryan, well done. Can I ask what Keto diet you are following? My wife occasionally does some type of keto diet where she buys various dehydrated foods and eats them almost exclusivley. It doesnt look too appealing to me!

The time has about come for me to loose 7-10kgs but I dont want to reduce my exercise pattern, that makes me wary of any diet that might begin to weaken strong exercise habits.

Cheers
    Hi. Thanks for the words of encouragement and indeed I am pleased. Since I wrote that 6 days ago I'm another 1.8kilos down :)

The diet is the ketogenic diet. There's only one true keto diet. Best resource is on the keto forum on reddit and you must use the carb manager app to track macros, that is non negotiable however the app is free. Happy to provide more detailed advice, just ping me a pm

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    You might want to get a copy of this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0983490716/

It's probably the best book on keto-related nutritional science around, and it even has a chapter with recipe suggestions. It specifically covers the aspects you would want to tweak if you are trying to maintain a high level of exercise.

The specifics are mainly going to be increaing your fat intake (the amount and type of fat depends on what you're doing) and watching (increasing not decreasing) your salt intake. The last one is really important and one of the things I didn't learn soon enough. If you're going to be doing any sort of exercise, replace any energy drinks with broth, or a specific low-sugar hydration solution. I fill up a thermos with Bovril, drink half before and the rest during training (and lots of water as needed). Without that I can end up getting loss of energy, dizziness or worse.

Craftsman
    A few years ago I went from 82kg to 72kg following https://www.amazon.co.uk/8-Week-Bloo...s%2C441&sr=1-2 over 8 weeks.

Last November I decided I needed to shift some more kilos due to higher than I liked blood sugars and pressure. Using the personalised diet approach, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Personalize...s%2C436&sr=1-1, I went from 72kg to 65kg over six weeks. This is by far the best approach I have ever come across. Two things: it involves pricking your finger to measure blood sugars on a regular basis until you have your personalised diet sorted; if you want facts it's full of peer-reviewed refs.

Mosley's programme covered the personalised approach, https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...n-we-change-it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    At the beginning of the year I was my heaviest ever weight of 92kg. A month earlier if arranged to have my cholesterol tested at the end of Feb, giving me 3 months to get my weight down and hopefully cholesterol improved. Christmas got in the way and so I started things in earnest in January. I had a dry January and am now on 4 units a week having been on mid 20s per week beforehand. I haven't had a single snack between meals (I like biscuits!), have cut out orange juice at breakfast and have really tried to reduce portion size. Quite a few evening meals have been a tin of soup, a slice of toast and some fruit. I was really hungry for the first week but then adjusted. I've lost 9kg and my cholesterol was much improved (lunch is usually a bowl of porridge, fruit and a handful of nuts). So I plan to stick as I am for the next few months as weight loss will inevitably plateau. Hitting a heaviest ever and the forthcoming blood test were both important motivators.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I was really hungry for the first week but then adjusted.
    That's what I find: get over the first 3 to 4 days and you are good to go. For me, cutting out bread, biccies and booze was amazing. Now that I know I can easily maintain my weight I allow myself the occasional sin. Actually, wife told me to stop losing weight as I was getting too skinny. It occurred just after I informed her my BMI was lower than hers for the first time ever in 33 years. I don't think she liked the competition!

Master
    I think we may need a “muscle gain thread”. Some are already posting along those lines here and I might get there too if I carry on at the current rate for a few more weeks/couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    I think we may need a “muscle gain thread”. Some are already posting along those lines here and I might get there too if I carry on at the current rate for a few more weeks/couple of months.
    Putting on lean muscle or losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time is tough...

Hi. Thanks for the words of encouragement and indeed I am pleased. Since I wrote that 6 days ago I'm another 1.8kilos down :)

The diet is the ketogenic diet. There's only one true keto diet. Best resource is on the keto forum on reddit and you must use the carb manager app to track macros, that is non negotiable however the app is free. Happy to provide more detailed advice, just ping me a pm

Appreciate the tips and offer of advice Ryan. I am not ready yet but if I keep slowly creeping on a pound here or there I will have to get serious about doing something after the summer. I have always had a poor metabolisim and despite my strong exercise regime, my weight has slowly edged up over the last three years.

Robt & Wadebridge, thanks for the links to those books, both look worthy of a purchase.

Cheers

On my 13th March update I was 117.6kgs having lost 16 kilos since I started on 4th Jan. Today, 9 days later it's 115.9 kgs, so nearly 18 kilos lost in around 10 weeks. This keto diet never ceases to amaze me.

Master
    On my 13th March update I was 117.6kgs having lost 16 kilos since I started on 4th Jan. Today, 9 days later it's 115.9 kgs, so nearly 18 kilos lost in around 10 weeks. This keto diet never ceases to amaze me.
    Not to put a downer on keto, you'll find that your weight loss comes from eating less calories than your body needs to maintain your current weight.

So if for example you eat 20% less calories than your bodies daily intake to maintain your current weight, you will lose weight.

That maybe through eating a balanced diet, keto or even crisps, chocolates and fizzy drinks!

Congrats on the weightloss.

P.s. eating certain type of foods does regulate blood sugar levels, keeps the cravings at bay, keeps you fuller for longer etc etc. But the calories in calories out principal is king for weight loss.

P.p.s, weight loss and fat loss are two different things!

Grand Master
    If you build in some lean muscle then that would accelerate more and be a lot easier to maintain, Im at 102kgs now and desperately trying to get upto 110kgs but just cant eat enough. Ill caveat that by saying gravity isn’t a very good measure but its the preferred option for every dieter, BF is what you actually want to lose and LM is what you want to gain (which is heavier)
    RIAC

Agreed with one caveat that if you maintain a calorie deficit and your body is used to burning carbs for fuel then it goes into 'starvation' mode and your metabolism slows or your body burns muscle for energy which again causes metabolism to slow. And then when you go back to a normal eating habit your weight piles back on as your Basal Metabolic Rate is lower. On Keto your body is conditioned to burn fat for fuel so where there is a calorie deficit the body will break down body fat and use that for energy. So it doesn't go into 'Starvation mode' as long as you have ample body fat (and my body isn't going hungry for fat any time soon.....) Keto diet has 3 main components. Very low carbs (less than 20g net carbs a day so your body uses fat for energy), High natural fat (to make you feel full) and High-ish protein (to maintain muscle mass so that you keep a higher metabolic rate).

Not to put a downer on keto, you'll find that your weight loss comes from eating less calories than your body needs to maintain your current weight.

So if for example you eat 20% less calories than your bodies daily intake to maintain your current weight, you will lose weight.

That maybe through eating a balanced diet, keto or even crisps, chocolates and fizzy drinks!

Congrats on the weightloss.

P.s. eating certain type of foods does regulate blood sugar levels, keeps the cravings at bay, keeps you fuller for longer etc etc. But the calories in calories out principal is king for weight loss.

P.p.s, weight loss and fat loss are two different things!

Last edited by ryanb741; 22nd March 2019 at 18:16.

If you build in some lean muscle then that would accelerate more and be a lot easier to maintain, Im at 102kgs now and desperately trying to get upto 110kgs but just cant eat enough. Ill caveat that by saying gravity isn’t a very good measure but its the preferred option for every dieter, BF is what you actually want to lose and LM is what you want to gain (which is heavier)
    Agreed as the metabolism is higher with more muscle. I am actually 'fat strong' in so far as I have strong muscles used to carrying a fat b@stard around all day so protein intake on my diet is high in order to not lose the muscle I have. One issue on keto is it does affect weight training in so far as muscles primarily use glycogen (from stored carbs) for energy and this is the most efficient way they work and therefore whilst they will take energy derived from fat you don't get the same explosiveness and as such muscle gain is slower. So it's hard to do keto and muscle build at the same time which is why some people on Keto will come off the diet for weekends where they focus on weight training and then get back onto the keto diet after. If you load up on carbs and therefore move out of ketosis for weight training sessions you can get back into ketosis easily by doing a long aerobic workout (like a run) in order to burn the carbs in the system. But this adds complexity that is often too much for most folks to bother with.

For me I'll get down to 105kgs on the Keto and then slowly add in carbs and weight training. At that point weight loss will be much slower but muscle gain higher and body fat percentage lower as a result.

But to put this diet into a more personal perspective, my keto diet started on 4th Jan alongside a diabetes type 2 diagnosis. Blood test last week indicated slightly elevated blood sugar but not at diabetes level and as such if a doctor was looking at the bloodwork last week a diabetes diagnosis would not be given. So the weight has gone but so has the diabetes it would seem.

Well that's the best news if you have averted diabetes! How sustainable do you think this diet is or will you find something else once you have attained your desired weight and brought in weight training?

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Well that's the best news if you have averted diabetes! How sustainable do you think this diet is or will you find something else once you have attained your desired weight and brought in weight training?
    I think it's great for fast and sustainable weight loss. Do I plan to stay on it after I've hit my target? No, it's no fun whatsoever passing body motions once every 6 days instead of daily (due to lack of fibre as a result of carb restrictions) but what it has done is opened my eyes to what is an absolute no-no for me regarding sugar calories. So beer will be an occasional treat, likewise with bread but on the plus side I've learned a heck of a lot more about creating delicious meals from things like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower etc. It's likely that I will always keep an eye on what carb intake I'm having (no issue with eating carbs but make sure you are putting the exercise in to burn them) and also the importance of eating healthy fats to keep feeling full. Also I've been drinking lots and lots of water which has improved my skin. But no I won't be a slave to keto once I'm done with the target, but then 7 pints on a Friday night isn't going to happen either. It's about balance

calories in calories out principal is king for weight loss.
    People should really stop repeating this sort of cows are spherical BS without any understanding of the actual science. That book I mentioned earlier has a decent review of the current state of the art, in layman's terms. The earlier book by the same authors is perhaps even more comprehensive, but is less focused on exercise metabolism specifically.

Maintaining a caloric deficit is clearly an important part of losing weight. However, that observation is about as useful as saying that drowning people should simply focus more on breathing air instead of water.

Here's a video that pretty thoroughly debunks the calories in = calories out myth. In particular, the rat study mentioned around 6 minutes in shows an increase in body fat from relatively fewer calories in, which is the opposite of what the myth predicts. I see no reason to believe that humans are somehow metabolically simpler than rats.

TLDR: metabolism is complicated and this kind of over-simplification helps nobody.

I think it's great for fast and sustainable weight loss. Do I plan to stay on it after I've hit my target? No, it's no fun whatsoever passing body motions once every 6 days instead of daily (due to lack of fibre as a result of carb restrictions) but what it has done is opened my eyes to what is an absolute no-no for me regarding sugar calories. So beer will be an occasional treat, likewise with bread but on the plus side I've learned a heck of a lot more about creating delicious meals from things like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower etc. It's likely that I will always keep an eye on what carb intake I'm having (no issue with eating carbs but make sure you are putting the exercise in to burn them) and also the importance of eating healthy fats to keep feeling full. Also I've been drinking lots and lots of water which has improved my skin. But no I won't be a slave to keto once I'm done with the target, but then 7 pints on a Friday night isn't going to happen either. It's about balance
    Very sensible approach! Ultimately it's about finding out what works for your body but also being realistic about what you can adhere to. I find the 16/8 intermittent fast works for me with training fasted with heavy weights and watching carb intake like you say.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    People should really stop repeating this sort of cows are spherical BS without any understanding of the actual science. That book I mentioned earlier has a decent review of the current state of the art, in layman's terms. The earlier book by the same authors is perhaps even more comprehensive, but is less focused on exercise metabolism specifically.

Maintaining a caloric deficit is clearly an important part of losing weight. However, that observation is about as useful as saying that drowning people should simply focus more on breathing air instead of water.

Here's a video that pretty thoroughly debunks the calories in = calories out myth. In particular, the rat study mentioned around 6 minutes in shows an increase in body fat from relatively fewer calories in, which is the opposite of what the myth predicts. I see no reason to believe that humans are somehow metabolically simpler than rats.

TLDR: metabolism is complicated and this kind of over-simplification helps nobody.
    You're confusing weight loss with fat loss.

For weight loss CICO is a scientifically proven.

For fat loss it takes a bit more effort of understanding macros and resistance exercise to maintain as much muscle as possible.

I do have a question, if on pure keto you eat maintenance calories, is there any change in body composition?

You're confusing weight loss with fat loss.
    I'm not confusing anything. Why would anyone seek to reduce lean mass? Perhaps you think I'm confusing this with the idea someone might want to chop off their arm to lose weight too? Clearly when we talk about weight loss, we mean fat loss. Weight gain is another matter, since clearly that could be taken two different ways (not including carrying a large pack around at all times, which is a third option).

I'm not addressing the issue of water weight, which is a well-known confounding factor when looking at the effects of keto over first few weeks. That is before the body actually becomes keto-adapted and most of the weight loss (anything up to about 4kg) is due to glycogen depletion. Blood LDL cholesterol concentration also goes up during this phase, then drops later. There is now plenty of science that looks at the long-term effects, but it's important to be slightly sceptical of both miracle claims and FUD, based on either anecdotes or flawed short-term studies.

I do have a question, if on pure keto you eat maintenance calories, is there any change in body composition?
    Not a question I've looked into properly, so I don't know if there are studies addressing that specific question. I suspect the answer will be that it depends on your TDEE:BMR ratio, i.e., how much exercise you do. The type of exercise is likely to skew that, as strength training has been shown to be more effective for maintaining or gaining lean mass than cardio or endurance training.

When doing no exercise whatsoever (TDEE=BMR) I expect what will happen is that your TDEE will drop slightly as you lose lean mass and gain fat (since by definition you must maintain the same weight) until you reach homeostatic equilibrium. If you do some exercise, preferably strength training, you should be able to hit the aforementioned equilibrium without any loss of lean mass. Or depending on your starting condition, with a shift in favour of lean mass and loss of fat initially.

Note that this would be more or less true of any diet when eating maintenance calories. Perhaps the bigger question is, when comparing keto vs low fat, which requires the most exercise (and corresponding extra caloric intake) to maintain the same amount of lean mass in homeostatic equilibrium? Is one more sustainable than the other?

There is evidence that if you simply restrict calories to the same TDEE without keto-adaptation (i.e., low fat rather than high fat), you will lose a lot more lean mass and reach homeostasis at a much lower BMR. This drop in BMR is likely to persist many years later. This may explain the rebound problem that causes 99% of dieters to regain all their lost weight within 12 months. Here's a good article about the BMR adaptation problem:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/biggest-l...-study-success

Master
    Anyone know how accurate calorie calculators are? I use MyFitnessPal to track calories in and out and it suggests a calorie level I need to take in a day to lose X pounds a week. It’s based on my specifics but not sure if it’s vaguely accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Just launching my ‘Wellness’ business including Personal Training / Lifestyle management / sports massage / nutrition catering for all ages but specialising in understanding and motivating those around 50 who generally are the ones that have everything stacked against them and the most to gain from a good healthy lifestyle.

Early days but feel free to follow on instagram www.instagram.com/fiftyfitnessuk.
    RIAC

Anyone know if these body fat scales are accurate or any recommendations?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Anyone know how accurate calorie calculators are? I use MyFitnessPal to track calories in and out and it suggests a calorie level I need to take in a day to lose X pounds a week. It’s based on my specifics but not sure if it’s vaguely accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MFP is good for tracking, but the calorie deficit it calculates is known to be off. Usually comes in low.
    See here https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs6W7Lfn...d=vmf5pzwfp7dx

Better still do the maths yourself, see here https://youtu.be/aDYCBah9QbQ

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    MFP is good for tracking, but the calorie deficit it calculates is known to be off. Usually comes in low.
    See here https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs6W7Lfn...d=vmf5pzwfp7dx

Better still do the maths yourself, see here https://youtu.be/aDYCBah9QbQ
    Very interesting, thanks for that. Still not sure it makes sense to me, according to that info I can reduce my TDEF by 1500 calories per day and still have loads left (I have a lot of weight to lose!). At least I know I'm heading in the right direction I guess.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Very interesting, thanks for that. Still not sure it makes sense to me, according to that info I can reduce my TDEF by 1500 calories per day and still have loads left (I have a lot of weight to lose!). At least I know I'm heading in the right direction I guess.
    Slow and steady wins the race. A smaller calorie deficit might mean it will take a little longer to get the weight down, but being less harsh means you are more likely to stick to the plan rather than falling off the wagon.

Gradual small changes in you eating habits are more likely to become the norm if introduced slowly, say one a month, rather than a big step change.

Using myself as a example. Last June I was 14st 2lb. MFP said I sound be eating 1600 cal a day. I tried, it was bloody hard, very restrictive, and many days I went over which made me feel like I had failed.

Using the above video from blonde health I calculated my own numbers, worked out to 1900 a day. With some planning and meal prep for work that's easy to do, every day. After a while I stopped logging daily food on MFP as I have a rough idea of what foods contain XXX many calories. Sometimes I'll record an odd day on MFP just to keep check.

Now down to 11st 3lb.

As said before, exercise helps, but not as much as people think. Going to the gym doesn't suit everyone and is not a requirement. Getting your NEAT up everyday would be just as good for you. Take the dog for a longer walk, walk tot he train station, get off the bus a stop early, walk to the shops, take the stairs at work not the lift, it all adds up.

PS - Blonde Health is also on Instagram and has lots of useful nutrition advice here

https://www.instagram.com/kathryn_gray1

the fitness chef is good too

https://www.instagram.com/thefitnesschef_

Today's weight is now at 112.7 kilos, a further 3.2 kilos (half a stone) lost since the last update on 22nd March. Still maintaining approximately 1.2 kilos loss a week. Goal weight is 98 kilos, will start transitioning off keto at 105 kilos and moving to healthy eating interspersed with weight training and so that final 7 kilos from 105 to 98 will take a while but will see more lean muscle mass build whilst maintaining the body fat loss. I even got hit on when on a train yesterday. Sure it was by a bloke but one can't be too fussy in this day and age :) On current pacing the 105 kilos will be attained in 6 weeks (so around end May).
    Last edited by ryanb741; 10th April 2019 at 15:32.

Craftsman
    I even got hit on when on a train yesterday. Sure it was by a bloke but one can't be too fussy in this day and age :)

Hot is hot, regardless of gender!
    The progress is amazing, well done! Keato is tough if your mind is not on it, but it works wonders! really helps one to see how the body manages different quantities of macros.
    Best start setting a new target, that current one will be smashed in no time.

Master
    Stuck between 77 and 77.8 kg for 6 or more weeks now. Small +/- moves of < 1kg (so just the expected variability, no real change) during that time but never dropped below 77. Looking at past consistent progress, I thought I would have hit my target of 75 by now but it didn’t continue like that. On the plus side, while today’s scan at the gym showed only a 0.1 kg drop since the last reading 2 weeks ago, it was apparently made up of -1.2 kg fat and +1.1 kg muscle and water. So not all bad. Even if I take the machine’s accuracy with a pinch of salt, it’s the direction that I care about and that is good.

I have recently increased the distance I run in a week and got a new program for gym workouts (after doing the same stuff for far too long) so hopefully the composition will change quicker.

Craftsman
    I've recently tipped over the 10 stone lost point , my fitness is pretty bang on which was the motivator as it was ill health that essentially caused the weight gain

My resting HR is now 45-49 , my overall fitness is rated as excellent, my body fat is 19% and my bmi is 24.5 down from 45!

Still working at it , want to get body fat to 18% (Apparently ideal for men aged 50+) and drop another half stone , i've upped my calories due to the exercise i'm doing and some settling is going on, currently running around 24kms per week and either walking, weight training or swimming the other 4 days a week

I have my first 5k event booked in 3 weeks and I'm aiming for a sub 30min time (Did 30m20sec on Monday) and I dusted the mountain bike down at the weekend and am planning some rides

I am now using a Fitbit charge 2 to track calories/exercise and a free app called "Lose it" to log food , my target is around 2000kcals per day and i tend to record around 3800 used on the fitbit , if I can do it anyone can

I've recently tipped over the 10 stone lost point , my fitness is pretty bang on which was the motivator as it was ill health that essentially caused the weight gain

My resting HR is now 45-49 , my overall fitness is rated as excellent, my body fat is 19% and my bmi is 24.5 down from 45!

Still working at it , want to get body fat to 18% (Apparently ideal for men aged 50+) and drop another half stone , i've upped my calories due to the exercise i'm doing and some settling is going on, currently running around 24kms per week and either walking, weight training or swimming the other 4 days a week

I have my first 5k event booked in 3 weeks and I'm aiming for a sub 30min time (Did 30m20sec on Monday) and I dusted the mountain bike down at the weekend and am planning some rides

I am now using a Fitbit charge 2 to track calories/exercise and a free app called "Lose it" to log food , my target is around 2000kcals per day and i tend to record around 3800 used on the fitbit , if I can do it anyone can
    That's amazing well done sir!